November 20, 2019, 06:49:18 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 151366 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
What I will say is this. We've only had 40 minutes of Joe Cole in the league this season and our performance against a*senal
Blimey! Jim's swear filter is a bit keen isn't it?  :o
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
Blimey! Jim's swear filter is a bit keen isn't it?  :o

I guess from now on we'll have to refer to them as Assenal. What about Arsene (Wenger)? Does that become Assene?  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:03:55 PM by Tes »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
I guess from now on we'll have to refer to them as Assenal. What about a*sene (Wenger)? Does that become Assene?  :D

And it keeps changing the 'A' in Arsene to an 'a' also. (It's done it again)  >:(

The 'Nanny State' has us well and truly clutched to it's bosom.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 04:36:29 PM »
I agree ASI, personally I'd start Babel and Pacheco in Europe.

Pacheco could really be a gem but I think he needs to be tested now. If hes good enough hes old enough as Jack Wilshire, Rooney, Owen have all proved to date.

Regards Babel I wish someone would just give him that chance they keep talking about giving him. Rafa always said he would get his chance and Roy has followed on from where Rafa left off. Yet I have never seen Babel be given what I would call a chance, that is 10 or more games up front. 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there or 45 on the wing will prove nothing, except maybe that Babels not a winger. Rafa had the opportunity last year when Torres was injured but never trusted him.

Roys recently said Babels got to prove himself by January. He cant really do that if hes sitting on the bench. In Europe his first half goal was rewarded by being subbed at half time.

But hopefully your right ASI, with Cole coming back , Konchesky and Meireles coming into the team things will hopefully get better although I still think Roys work is most needed on finding the right tactics to win while playing the type of football the fans deserve.

On a quick note I was shocked by Rangers fluid pass and move football against United last night. They kept the ball well, played intricate passes, worked tireless for each other and looked very comfortable. They may not have had the personnel to scare United but I thought they did very well. There was none of these long hoofs from defense we so used to seeing at Anfield and on our travels these days.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »
Replacing one of Skrtel or Carra with Agger would improve our possession and attacking play.

This is probably a touchy subject to raise and I probably risk offending anybody from Liverpool.

I will be frank, basically I think Tes touches on it above but I no longer believe Carragher is up to the task of commanding a guaranteed spot at the centre of our defense.  He may be a Liverpool legend and I dont think his time is up but at this point in time I would prefer to see Agger and Skrtel being our main stay central defensive pairing. Defensively Carra can still do a good job, hes well able for the bruising encounters, putting his body on the line and all that. But its his lack of pace and distribution that I think is affecting our game. When Johnson gets forward our defence gets exposed. Carra was never the quickest but his ability to cover any sizeable ground has diminished and our defence leaks. Play Carra against Stoke and he could batter Kenwyne Jones into submission but against the quicker players he gets glaringly exposed.

His distribution is terrible. When Carras in the team these days all he tends to do is punt the ball long. Time after time this season Ive seen him launch balls up for our striker to challenge for but 90% of the time possession is lost. Thats not the type of service Torres will thrive on.

Last year I thought he had a mediocre if not poor season by his standards. I know others thought he was on the top of his game. I worry that its because hes Mr Liverpool that hes being kept in the team, I genuinely think Roy is afraid to leave him out.

Apparently hes been offered a new 3 year contract. Its great to know that he will get to finish his career at the club he loves but 3 years is a long time to be giving someone whos careers on the wane. Rafa had let his contract run down, there is no way Carra would have got 3 years had Rafa remained.

I think Roy needs to make tough decisions to make this team work, for me leaving out Carra is one of those tough choices that Roy needs to call. Last season Rafa put his own job on the line by constantly hauling off Torres and wrapping him in cotton wool to the bemusement of the player himself. For the benefit of the team and for the risk of been unpopular with Carra himself I think Roy needs to man up do whats right for the team or risk having his leaky defence and eventually possibly going the same way Rafa did when new owners come in.

wittsy

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »
Juan I agree, I said at the the beginning of last season that Carra needed to be eased out for the younger players to form some sort of relationship. It really needs to happen this year, his bad form at the beginning of the season last year was part of the problem why we so poor for the first couple of months and there was no way back by November/December (OK he was far from the only problem).

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »
If he's to be offered a 3 year contract  :o, then it needs to be a player/coach one. That way he can be eased out 'more smoothly' whilst having another job to learn / occupy his mind.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
Juan I agree, I said at the the beginning of last season that Carra needed to be eased out for the younger players to form some sort of relationship. It really needs to happen this year, his bad form at the beginning of the season last year was part of the problem why we so poor for the first couple of months and there was no way back by November/December (OK he was far from the only problem).

Jas

Its not something I like calling for but I think it would be for the good of the team. As you say Jas start to ease him out now.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
If he's to be offered a 3 year contract  :o, then it needs to be a player/coach one. That way he can be eased out 'more smoothly' whilst having another job to learn / occupy his mind.

Definitely he should get a coaching role at some point. He lives football and could eventually make a top manager. Who knows maybe he will eventually be the manager that wins us number 19.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:41 PM »
agree ASI, personally I'd start Babel and Pacheco in Europe.

Pacheco could really be a gem but I think he needs to be tested now. If hes good enough hes old enough as Jack Wilshire, Rooney, Owen have all proved to date.

Regards Babel I wish someone would just give him that chance they keep talking about giving him. Rafa always said he would get his chance and Roy has followed on from where Rafa left off. Yet I have never seen Babel be given what I would call a chance, that is 10 or more games up front. 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there or 45 on the wing will prove nothing, except maybe that Babels not a winger. Rafa had the opportunity last year when Torres was injured but never trusted him.

Roys recently said Babels got to prove himself by January. He cant really do that if hes sitting on the bench. In Europe his first half goal was rewarded by being subbed at half time.

But hopefully your right ASI, with Cole coming back , Konchesky and Meireles coming into the team things will hopefully get better although I still think Roys work is most needed on finding the right tactics to win while playing the type of football the fans deserve.
Hi Juan, well you've got half your wish. Here's the team for tonight's game:-

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Kelly, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Agger, Babel, Maxi, Meireles, Spearing, Ngog, Cole. Subs: Jones, Johnson, Lucas, Carragher, Pacheco, Shelvey, Eccleston.

Not sure how that works out on the pitch but with Babel and Ngog in attacking positions it shows real intent. A start for Meireles too and with the return of Joe Cole the midfield looks really good. And a couple of local lads in their too. Excellent!
[On a quick note I was shocked by Rangers fluid pass and move football against United last night. They kept the ball well, played intricate passes, worked tireless for each other and looked very comfortable. They may not have had the personnel to scare United but I thought they did very well. There was none of these long hoofs from defense we so used to seeing at Anfield and on our travels these days. [/quote]I was convinced Utd would score but really pleased to see Rangers hang on for a point. Apparently they had more attempts on goal than Utd. Strange things statistics. Utd being their usual arrogant self think they can win with the second 11!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:17:15 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
Hi Juan, well you've got half your wish. Here's the team for tonight's game:-

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Kelly, Konchesky, Kyrgiakos, Agger, Babel, Maxi, Meireles, Spearing, Ngog, Cole. Subs: Jones, Johnson, Lucas, Carragher, Pacheco, Shelvey, Eccleston.

Not sure how that works out on the pitch but with Babel and Ngog in attacking positions it shows real intent. A start for Meireles too and with the return of Joe Cole the midfield looks really good. And a couple of local lads in their too. Excellent!
[On a quick note I was shocked by Rangers fluid pass and move football against United last night. They kept the ball well, played intricate passes, worked tireless for each other and looked very comfortable. They may not have had the personnel to scare United but I thought they did very well. There was none of these long hoofs from defense we so used to seeing at Anfield and on our travels these days. I was convinced Utd would score but really pleased to see Rangers hang on for a point. Apparently they had more attempts on goal than Utd. Strange things statistics. Utd being their usual arrogant self think they can win with the second 11!

Hey ASI, I may have got half my wish but I'll never be happy  ;). To be honest I would prefer to see Babel up front. If Hodsgon said he was going to play him in his position I dont see the point in sticking him on the wing. Hes never done well out there but for some reason thats where he gets played. Ngog wouldnt play well out there so I'm not sure why Babel is expected to.

Otherwise it is good to see the premier league being prioritised for a change and for some of the fringe players to get a run.

If Pacheco got a good amount of time and Babel gets a run at some stage up front then I will be happy with tonights game. I hope!  ;)

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Duplicate post.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:39:31 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:46 PM »
Hey ASI, I may have got half my wish but I'll never be happy  ;) . To be honest I would prefer to see Babel up front. If Hodsgon said he was going to play him in his position I dont see the point in sticking him on the wing. Hes never done well out there but for some reason thats where he gets played. Ngog wouldnt play well out there so I'm not sure why Babel is expected to.

Otherwise it is good to see the premier league being prioritised for a change and for some of the fringe players to get a run.

If Pacheco got a good amount of time and Babel gets a run at some stage up front then I will be happy with tonights game. I hope!  ;)
Well Juan, I imagine you're pleased after tonight's game. Don't know if you watched it or not. Babel was rather quiet and hasn't enhanced his chances of a game on Sunday. But I thought Kelly, Spearing, Ngog and Cole were our best performers tonight. Nice goal from Joe after 25 seconds and a cracker from Lucas a couple of minutes after coming on for Babel. Who would have thought it!

Definite signs of a team gelling under Roy and it should give the senior players a boost watching the second 11 perform so well. Meirles had some nice touches but needs more games. The game was played at a good pace with some good movement. Their goal was well taken and they had the better of the first half but after the break we dominated.

Next stop - Old Toilet! :-)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:40:51 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:57 AM »
Well Juan, I imagine you're pleased after tonight's game. Don't know if you watched it or not. Babel was rather quiet and hasn't enhanced his chances of a game on Sunday. But I thought Kelly, Spearing, Ngog and Cole were our best performers tonight. Nice goal from Joe after 25 seconds and a cracker from Lucas a couple of minutes after coming on for Babel. Who would have thought it!

Definite signs of a team gelling under Roy and it should give the senior players a boost watching the second 11 perform so well. Meirles had some nice touches but needs more games. The game was played at a good pace with some good movement. Their goal was well taken and they had the better of the first half but after the break we dominated.

Next stop - Old Toilet! :-)

A much improved second half. To be honest I thought we were very poor first half. Aside from coles well taken goal there wasnt much to cheer about. Second half we definitely up the ante and as you say even Lucas got a goal. Unfortunately thats his place sealed in the team for the next 6 months. As i say ASI i'm never happy.

Meireles was more comfortable after the break. He looks as if he could be a very good signing in time.

A good score line, great to see some of the fringe payers involved and making a worthwhile contribution. My only concern is that Hodgson has the team set up very much like Rafa, time will tell whether he changes that.

Not a bad warm up for sunday.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 01:14:50 AM »
Much Improved with respect to moving the ball forward!!!!

I'd say the big difference between Lucas and Babel is mental toughness (and an ability to improve their game  :'(). Babel seems to be brittle in that department and although arguably a fine athlete, in my opinion he also lacks a footballing brain. The only way that lad can improve his game is if he develops his upper body strength so that he can hold off defenders (and muscle his way through) and therefore compensate for feet which always seem to get stuck under the ball, no dribbling ability and a mind that's never really sure which direction he's going in? :-[

What cheered me up tonight was the impression that players like Agger, Meireles and Cole want to be on the ball and move things forward. Early to say but Meireles appears to have magic feet full of smoothness and guile and rather than Gerrard (everything 90 miles an hour and always trying the impossible  ::) ) seems perfect for the centre (creative attacking) with Lucas or Poulsen holding?