September 29, 2020, 06:05:24 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 200225 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2010, 11:08:43 AM »
Thought we were good today. The hammers were a bit rubbish, but Meireles and poulson did well. Good to see Glen back. Ngog played well too.

Nicely summed up.

And agreed with the other comments above that you can only beat whats put in front of you.

Saying that West Ham are rooted to the bottom for a reason and we should be drubbing teams like this week in week out. Home wins against sides like this would do little to ease my concerns on Hodgson.

Torres came out and backed him the other day but whats he meant to say when asked the question. Hes hardly going to call for Roys head.

Our goals were well taken but West Ham afforded us far too much time. For Maxis goal Konchesky was allowed to put in a cross without being challenged, the defender stood way off. Maxi stood unmarked in the box.

Dont get me wrong a wins a win and a good performance to go with it but beating a hopeless bottom placed team shouldnt ease pressure on Roy or make up for the fact that the part of his brain that he uses for tactics, substitutions and general decision making on away days is missing.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »
13 out of 18 points in the last 6. Not a bad return in my view. And Meirles yesterday put in the best performance by one of our midfielders this year.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2010, 01:18:32 PM »
http://www.premierleague.com/page/FormGuide

2nd in the form guide for last six games. And apart from Spurs next week we've havent got a bad set of fixtures for the next 6.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/fixtures

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
Just because the opposition is poor doesn't necessarily mean you will play well. I've lost count over the years how many times we've been dragged down to poor opposition's level.

Right from the outset yesterday we played at a fast tempo and that only comes from confidence. So it looks like the training sessions went well in the week despite several players being away on internatinal duty.

It shouldn't be long now before dude suggests we played well because 'Stevie-me" wasn't playing.  ;)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
He's not wrong ASI, I believe that too many players in the side rely on Gerrard too much, it was the same under Rafa, we played and won a lot of matches with Stevie out, the players around him need to step up to the plate more when he's in the side instead of watching from the sidelines. It was a good performance all round yesterday but particularly from Maxi, Raul, Johnson and Torres. As other have said you can only beat what's in front of you and WHU were very very poor, probably the worst side I've seen this season, my local Sunday pub team could have beaten them yesterday. A hard match next week at the Yids and I'd take a point right now, somehow I think Woy will go back to total defensive mode with Torres up front on his own chasing lost causes and we'll get slaughtered but I really hope I'm wrong and we at least make a game of it.
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »
There's truth in your words Redman. Without SG the players do have to take on more responsibility but that doesn't necessarily mean it pans out on the pitch in an improved performance.

What it did mean was that Meireles was brought infield and I hope RH sees that  and starts to work out a system where Meireles and SG can play together to their strengths.

There's no doubt it will be a stern test at WHL next Sunday but whereas Spurs play in the CL midweek we can have a rest.  I think that will have a profound effect on Spurs as they have often failed to get the balance right between CL and Prem games. But I think you're right that RH will revert to one up front which isn't so bad providing we can get a decent supply to Torres.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
good result, and an opportunity for a team to start to take shape.  I was delighted for lads like Maxi (who I have said can be the business for us), and Moreless.   Johnston played like someone with a firework up his a.ss........he craved to get forward at every opportunity......fine to do that against west ham.......but he will be shown up defensively against better teams. The lad cannot defend at the top level.

only lad not smiling yesterday was torres.  Though even he almost threatened to smile at one point.  He needs to drop the attitude and enjoy his football.  Best game in the world, at the best club in the world, and being paid a fortune for the honour.  FFS smile lad.

we played at a fast tempo.......and as previously seen under Roy, much more crudeness and up-and-at-them than one would normally expect from a Liverpool team.   

And as ASI alludes to, the sky does not collapse when captain marvel isn't around.   :D

Without him, normal team play can start to blossom.  Well played Maxi and Moreless.  And an improvement from Poulsen. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Clem

« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
Good points. I think he'll stick with yesterday;s team and go 4 4 2 tbh. Hope so anyway. Spurs are good but they leak goals. They're finsdng it hard to play CL and maintain their form at the weekends - we used to be like that too, early doors in CL.  We will kick their asses.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
[quote author=the dude abides link=topic=4012.msg26828#msg26828 date=   

And as ASI alludes to, the sky does not collapse when captain marvel isn't around.   :D

Without him, normal team play can start to blossom.  Well played Maxi and Moreless.  And an improvement from Poulsen.
[/quote]

Premature to say the least. West ham are very poor at the moment. Next weekend will show the men from the boys.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
Shame Tottingham aren't away in mid week though they'll have to go all out for 3 points in this one as their last game is away to Twente who are only a point between them. Hopefully the combined efforts of that game and the Derby will see them fall to pieces as only Spurs know how.

We need to be positive though and turn round our dire away form. It'll need to be an unHodgson like performance, though a point wouldn't be the end of the world as we don't have the best of records there.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
I agree with u 100% there tes. If we set out to defend all game we're playing into spurs hands.theyll love that. Make them have to concentrate on defending aswell and we've got a chance

Jas_lfc

« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
We'll get murdered at Spurs. They have the worlds best player. :O

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »

I thought Poulsen played for us.  ???

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »

He's not in messi's league, but wouldn't u like him down our left?I would

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
He's not in messi's league, but wouldn't u like him down our left?I would

I'm more worried what he's going to do down our right. Kelly at right back for his defensive qualities and move Johns(t)on forward in the hope of pinning him back.
We need a lairy German (Hans-Peter Briegel where are you when you're needed) to take him out on Wednesday night. Nothing serious, just a couple of weeks to make sure he misses our game