September 29, 2020, 06:10:34 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 200228 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #840 on: March 20, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
always felt it was a great shame that Suarez was ineligible for europe this season.

he is the type of player who can open up defences.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Martin your example of Lucas although I agree he isnt good enough to start week in week out  I dont agree that he hasnt improved. He has in fainress to the guy but my problem is that its just not to the consistent level where he will contribute massively to a title challenge.

What I mean is, compared to Babel and Ngog he's enjoyed the comfort of knowing he's gonna be picked. It may be unfair to say he hasn't developed at all, but it's equally wrong to say he's developed to a good enough level.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 21, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
Only just seen the game as i've spent the weekend up on the campo staring at the moon...but after seeing the game this morning i must say one thing...suarez is a revelation...if he had played vs braga we would have walked it...the actual pleasure of seeing a player with his workrate, skill and panache was quite something...no moping/prima donna antics with this player...i know which player's name goes on my shirt this summer...

thought spearing also played well...he keeps doing so and he will earn a place in the squad next season if he keeps doing this (on the bench for now and if he vastly improves then who knows??)...

thought the whole unit was solid and Carroll was looking dangerous...wingers in the summer and we'll be laughing...he was unlucky with the cattermole goal line clearance...

the pathetic attempt by bruce and the press to make a meal of the ref's decision...it was inches out but it wasn't as if it was miles out...in the rush of the game i've seen em given both ways...beachballs on the pitch scoring a goal is against premier rules but i don't seem to remember the fuss over that...rafa was sedate in comparison...

20 points in 10 games under kenny says it all...25 points in 20 games under Roy says it all...with that vague stat comparison we'd have had roughly 60 points if we'd brought kenny in at the start of the season...though i can't criticise broughton and purslow cos they got rid of hicks and gillette...

2 weeks off...next game against Roy...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:44:40 PM by barticus »

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #843 on: March 21, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »
As you say barticus wingers are vital in the summer. To get the best out of carrol we need wide men who can cross a ball. Young fits the bill and looks like he'll be available. But I'm sure all of the current front 5 will be interested.

The left wing is a bit trickier. no one springs to mind. Adam Johnson would be nice but isn't going to be available. Anyone got any suggestions?

Next year we could have a team of predominantly British players. Which I think would be brilliant. I've got nothing against foreign players but I think we should get a lot more loyalty  from them.

Any one seen us being linked with Leighton baines? Can't see it happening. And I think he's a blue nose fan aswell.

The more I think about it the more I reckon a top 4 place next year is a realistic target

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
ashley young (for the wing) and adams (for the centre of midfield), would be a good piece of summer business.  Though as you say, kopite, there will be a lot of competition for the signatures of adams and young, come the summer.   I particularly like Adams....then again, I do prefer that grit and determination one gets with scottish players.

yes, I see leighton baines is getting linked, for that bothersome fullback role. 

I hope to goodness Reina does not leave.  That would be a helluva kick in the teeth.  He is, for my money, possibly the finest keeper in Europe.  I would pay him top money to stay.  If you are the best in the business, then you deserve top dollar pay packets.

BTW the sale of Torres is looking, by the week, like the biggest daylight robbery, since Dick Turpin roamed the English roads.  It's a wonder that we don't see the cops pay a visit to Anfield.  GREAT piece of business.   Wish we'd also done the same with with Gerrard years ago.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 22, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Agreed Dude,
Baines, Adam and Young would definately increase our English contingent...others will be circling above all three and personally i'd prefer Adam if we only get one...think he'd be perfect for a replacement for gerrard in the next couple of years...
Young has never really impressed me and as he's bound to be more expensive than Adam then i'd put all our efforts in wooing Adam..Sanchez from Udinese for right wing would be my must buy as he's 23...
Baines is a good left back...but i think he's a bitter and as he's in his 20's i can't see it...

lol on torres...suarez is a real pleasure to watch and he cost less than half what torres was is even better...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 22, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »
like you, Barticus, Adams is the big one for me.

Young, tho a good buy when at the right money, I can take or leave.  I think Man Utd may well have their sights set on him.

Agreed re Suarez.  The lad is magic.  The difference between him and Torres is like night and day.  He makes people sit up, when he gets the ball.  He brings smiles and happiness to the fans.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 23, 2011, 12:20:29 AM »
Young's rumoured to have just purchased a house down South, so may he'll end up at Spurs.

Baines is apparently a Red, but even though Everton are struggling financially, I just can't see Moyes and Kenwright letting this one happen.

So Charlie Adam it is then. We're not a proper Liverpool team without a Scotsman (or two, three or four) in there.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 02, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
wba - liverpool HT 0-0

like an end of season game.....sunshine, half-hearted, affair.

we struggle to get out of our own half.  Not that WBA are much better.  It is akin to watching a donkey being mauled by a toothless old goat.  We look disorganised.  Can Kenny change things - I have my doubts.  Mind you, we can't get much worse (famous last words).  Agger went off....very worrying.

roy hodgson seems to have instructed his team to shoot on sight.  Thus we have cringeworthy daisy cutters from 25 and 30 yards.  Only Roy could imagine that Pepe Reina was a poor shot stopper.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
we scores...49 minutes.

awesome performance......lads look really up for it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 02, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
1-1

awful performance.

Sir Dudely Kneejerker

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 02, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »
1-2

late penalty gives baggies the lead

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 02, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »
It was written that we would lose this one. Two enforced subs early on losing influential players and a yellow for Carroll curtailed his game. Good defending by WBA at the death to prevent Suarez equaliser.

Poor game for Soto and Reina. Probably neither will be with us next season. Bad day at black rock!!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #853 on: April 02, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
On way back from the hawthorns. Tbh we didn't deserve anything. We need the summer urgently. Injuries to the back 4 were crucial.anyway at least the fans were in good voice.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 02, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »
Another 3 points Hodgson has cost us!