November 24, 2020, 12:51:43 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 209359 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #915 on: April 23, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
5-0!!! Maxi hat-trick. Tremendous performance and looking forward to watching MoTD tonight.  ;D

And Spurs drop 2 points at home to Roy's new team. Not a bad Saturday. Pity the Toffees couldn't hold out for another 10 mins but you can't have everything!  :D

I bet your neighbour's daughter enjoyed herself Martin.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 23, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »
I would say Birmingham were poor BUT i thought the same when we played Man City. So this cant be a coincidence surely. We were very good. Quick passing and not giving the other team time to breathe is really paying off.  And when we counter we're doing so at speed and in numbers. Sometimes it really is a simple game but didnt Woy make it feel so different.

Good times

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 24, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
5-0!!! Maxi hat-trick. Tremendous performance and looking forward to watching MoTD tonight.  ;D

And Spurs drop 2 points at home to Roy's new team. Not a bad Saturday. Pity the Toffees couldn't hold out for another 10 mins but you can't have everything!  :D

I bet your neighbour's daughter enjoyed herself Martin.

And if she didn't I'll give her a good hiding because that was a truly brilliant display. I was a tad nervous we'd go down the same old route of handing over the initiative to Brummies upon scoring the opener. But there's a new touch to the team Kenny's slowly building. There's belief, passion and pride. + a great will to work for each other. You really can tell how desperate Suarez is to get a goal yet he set up Maxi beautifully to allow him to complete his hat-trick. You'd have to forgive me for thinking of words like Liverpool and way.

I don't mean to be negative or critical. Let it be known I am very very impressed by both Robinson and Flanagan. Still we ought to remember they showed a couple of times they still have a lot to learn and a better team would no doubt have taken advantage of that fact.

That's 11 goals in our last 3 home games and against quite some opposition (I don't consider Brummies strong opposition but given our recent history against them an'all...). I don't mean to jinx things but I really, really think we're able to win our finishing 4 games. That'd grant us 64 points. City stand on 56 with 6 games to play so clinching 4th seems quite a stretch if you ask me. Spurs' more than catchable tho. Lets say they beat Birmingham and Blackpool at home, draw against City away and lose against us and Chelsea. That'll see them finish on 63 points. So in my mind there's every chance we'll finish 5th which, in my book, is better than I ever thought a few months back.

Finally, I was very pleased to see three of the goals coming from rebounds. That's a great indication this team's doing well on many levels.

Despite Maxi's hat-trick I don't want to single out a particular player but you have to admire the new born Kuijt and his will to work for the team and the club.

Bring on Newcy!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:42:44 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
And if she didn't I'll give her a good hiding because that was a truly brilliant display. I was a tad nervous we'd go down the same old route of handing over the initiative to Brummies upon scoring the opener. But there's a new touch to the team Kenny's slowly building. There's belief, passion and pride. + a great will to work for each other. You really can tell how desperate Suarez is to get a goal yet he set up Maxi beautifully to allow him to complete his hat-trick. You'd have to forgive me for thinking of words like Liverpool and way.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Probably the 2nd best performance of the season after the City one although watching limited highlights does make judging it difficult.

I don't mean to be negative or critical. Let it be known I am very very impressed by both Robinson and Flanagan. Still we ought to remember they showed a couple of times they still have a lot to learn and a better team would no doubt have taken advantage of that fact.

Given their very limited 1st team performance I think they've done brilliant especially so against Arsenal with their trickery on the ball.
That's 11 goals in our last 3 home games and against quite some opposition (I don't consider Brummies strong opposition but given our recent history against them an'all...). I don't mean to jinx things but I really, really think we're able to win our finishing 4 games. That'd grant us 64 points. City stand on 56 with 6 games to play so clinching 4th seems quite a stretch if you ask me. Spurs' more than catchable tho. Lets say they beat Birmingham and Blackpool at home, draw against City away and lose against us and Chelsea. That'll see them finish on 63 points. So in my mind there's every chance we'll finish 5th which, in my book, is better than I ever thought a few months back.

5th seems quite possible with our current form. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going but it won't be easy. Injuries will be the key plus that bit of luck which may go for or against you.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 24, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »
Great Win Yesterday!!!

Dalglish has come in and created something above and beyond 11 players on a pitch. It's a vibe, ethos or something else intangible.....? Watching us pressuring the opposition high up the pitch, doubling up on players, hassling/harrying for 94 minutes was an absolute joy! (THE FORTRESS!) Looking forward to more of the same against Newcastle!

Still lots of work to do but definite progress is being made imo!  :)

I note some pundit yesterday beginning his post match analysis with the opening gambit "I think it's an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE that the AMERICAN owners have not offered Dalglish a permanent contract!"  >:(. This is so typical of the column inches, airtime filling crisis creating bullsh*t that we could do without.....Mind your own business and we'll look after ours!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 24, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
Looking forward to that beer, Martin (ASI and other forum members).  As the king-pin of the Liverpool scouting system, Central America Branch, I may not be able to drag myself away from paradise, long enough, to return to cold Europe....so you lot are gonna have to come here.  Hammocks, pool table, beers, wine, blue skies and sunshine are all on-tap.

Always been a fan of Maxi Rodríguez.  I never understood his detractors.  He is obviously very talented....he just needed the proper system, and the ball played to him on the ground (and at regular speeds).  He was never a spaceman, nor someone who stopped bullets in his teeth. 

What a delicious midfield/attacking setup.  Jeepers, there is life after Captain Marvel, after all.  How many lads are now prospering.  Delicious.  I did say, a million times over the years, that we would only start again to be a team, and be competitive, once a certain Marvel ran out of kyrptonite.  Well here we are.   The future is very bright.....Moreless, Spearing, Maxi, Kuyt, Suarez, Lucas (and Caroll to come).   

The young lads in defence have been a revelation.......look and play like men, despite being 17 and 18 years old.

I had big hopes we could clinch 5th spot - but the WBA loss peeved me and upset the apple cart.  There is still a decent chance...but I would prefer to have had 1 or 2 more points by this stage.  But Spurs have some awful games to come......so if we can win at least three of the final four games, we are in with a shout.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 24, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
It's the though that counts, right?  ;)

If we win our final 4 games 5th will be ours, end of. I think it's a doable feat.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 28, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
It's the though that counts, right?  ;)

If we win our final 4 games 5th will be ours, end of. I think it's a doable feat.

right, Martin....win our four games, and we are home and hosed.

spurs would need to win three and draw one, from their games v chelsea, man city, blackpool and birmingham.  ONE loss and they are toast.

nail biting times.....not easy to win at fulham or villa. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 01, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
Here are some interesting stats. This shows the top 4 based on results since Kenny took over

Team      P  W  D  L  F  A  Pts

Chelsea         15 11 2  2 30  10  35
Liverpool        15  9 3  3 30  12  30
Man Utd         15  9 2  4 28  14  29
Arsenal           15  7 7  1 26  14  28

City are 5th (excluding today's game) and Spurs are back in 8th.

I think it just goes to show the remarkable turnaround since Kenny took over.

There are strong suggestions he will be given the job before the home game against Spurs. That's what I call a result!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
it has been a great run, ASI.

if only uncle woy had not taken up so much of the club's time, earlier in the season.....we'd be probably looking at a CL qualifying place right now.

I got it wrong about kenny's re-emergence (I thought it would be a mistake bringing him back to the hot seat).  But he has turned the club around in his short time back.  I think Steve Clarke also needs a lot of praise.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 01, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
It's been better than our wildest dreams dude and I agree about Steve C's contributon. Funny how the owners haven't been over to see some of the performances. I know they can watch on TV but there's nothing like being there.

It is exasperating given the turnaround that Kenny didn't get the job a month earlier but imagine if Henry & Co had waited another couple of weeks. Europa would have been beyond us. And still might be as Fulham away is far from easy.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 02, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
I think Suarez has added a massive amount to our overall game..his pace, skill and creativity now puts other teams on the other foot....they're petrified of him and he has to be the find of the season...i love the guys passion and workrate too...no prima donna antics here...
all i can say is that we got the far better deal with the torres sale...chelsea are still in the race for the prem mainly thanks to goals and better play after torres is removed...

The difference between roy and Kenny's style is so vast that they have no banished those memories of those dark days in november where roy was blaming all others and we became a laughing stock...

the 'what if' may have meant a few more points and us challenging for 4th....if kenny had taken over in december and suarez signed on Jan the 1st then i have no doubt man city and spurs would have been very worried...

Playing the football that Kenny inspires and with the right additions and the right start i have no doubt we'll get top 4 next time..good times...

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »
Good result, disappointed with the performace though, in particular how we ceded the initiative to them in the first half (need to look at that in midfield, imo)....Young Flanagan got a taste of the standard required at first team level and I hope the experience will do him the world of good.

I still think that there were lots of positives in the game, Johnson back, Suarez's liveliness/energy and fair play to Kuyt again (player of the season, imo). Disappointed with Carrolls cameo, FFS lethargic is an understatement!!! Granted he's returning from injury, would like to see more of him before the seasons end preferably in a more competitive setting!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 09, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »

half-time and we are three nil up at fulham.

maxi has got two of them.

always liked the lad.  Great to see Maxi, Lucas, Spearing etc all playing so well in the middle.

like I always predicted, without the kryptonite lad and the associated mega-stardom, we could create one helluva team.

the way things are panning out, beating Spurs at Anfield will most likely be enough to have us qualify for another year in Europe.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:57:46 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
Wow, that was some game. And sweet baby Jesus what a first opening 30-35 minutes. We were all over the place and really played some pass'n move footy I haven't seen in ages. Too bad the season isn't 16 games long or we'd challenge seriously each season. It seems the final quarter of the season is always our best. It remains to be seen if this form can be carried over to next season.

I few critical notes tho. I am not sure we'd travelled back with all the points had they scored a 2nd goal when it was still 3-1. They were always gonna have a good spell as you NEVER see a team play like we did in the first half for a whole game. Still, there are still worrying signs we sink odeep and look unable to get back into the game once we take the foot off the pedal. Thanks to a great shot from Maxi and not so great goalkeeping from Scwarzer it wasn't to be for Fulham. And in fairness it was closer to 8-2 than 5-3.

Come on you spurs! A defeat and two draws for City while we win our remaining two games and we'll surely play in the CL next season. Bigger miracles have happened. It's unreal when you think of it beating Blackpool and Wolves at home would've been sufficent to clinch 4th despite this shine-a-light season.

Well done you red men!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:37:32 PM by Martinmarx »