October 23, 2019, 04:48:05 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 144493 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #930 on: May 09, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »
Superb performance tonight. They were always going to take their foot off the gas in the 2nd half but credit to them for absorbing the Fulham charge and then reaffirming their grip on the game.

A little disappointing that two goald were conceded but they were crackers, especially the second.

Suarez is unplayable at times. he deserved more than one goal. The lads must be buzzing. I know I am despite us conceding our record 18 titles. But, with astute purchases and Kenny there next season we must be in with a chance of levelling things up.

Not sure what would be the best result for us tomorrow. A Spurs win would put them back in 5th and would then give them a boost for next Sunday. Probably a draw but that leaves City only needing 1 point from 2 games. So a Spurs win it has to be.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 09, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
A spurs win would really put the pressure on City against Stoke at home and Bolton away on the final day. We need to win both our games to clinch 5th anyroad so I'll be hoping for a Tottenham win tomorrow.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 09, 2011, 11:00:32 PM »
agree with you both, martin and asi.

suarez has been the premiership's find of the season, by a country mile....unplayable at times, like you say, asi.  Hope we can hold on to him!

we are almost home and hosed......it's all in our hands now.

I think Kenny knows that to win the premiership, you have to go on the attack (like united do).  I think we are seeing the blueprint for Liverpool's future under Kenny.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 09, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »
What I don't understand chaps is the lack of any reaction from the owners. You'd think they'd be tweeting away like mad (Linda?) or John Henry would be flying over to take in some games.

If they don't come over for the final home game against Spurs then I will start to worry that something has gone pearshaped in the discussions over Kenny's contract. I'm sure I'm worrying unnecessarily but it is niggling away at me that despite a superb run there's been no public reaction from the owners.

PS. Is everyone else seeing the forum time 2 hours behind?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:10:55 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
Agreed regarding Suarez, an absolute nightmare for defenders!

Delighted Shelvey got a run out, was a bit muted on the right, but when he moved into the centre he got involved more & played a killer pass for number 5 (fair play to Flano for his part in number 4).

I'm really happy that our season isn't over yet but at the same time we're (out of necessity) having a good look at the depth of the squad.

LOL, Captain Carra, maybe he should hold on to it.......

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #935 on: May 10, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
ASI I wouldn't be too concerned about the owners. They've done everything right so far and they haven't given us a reason to doubt them. They are probably hard at it getting things done. The warrior sports deal is a great achievement. Hopefully they've started talks with players kenny and comoli have identified

I'm sure maxi was on his way out even after his first hat trick but can we really let him go now?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried either. It's actually a good sign Kenny hasn't signed yet. That tells me he's playing hard balls trying to get Henry to invest big in the squad. Also, until it's over regarding 4th it would be a tad prematur to sign a contract where the owners input is based on this or that. Also, although Kenny would never demand the same level of control as the unrealistic Rafa, it only makes sense to clarify the respective roles of Kenny and Comolli. As I said, the fact it's "taking time" is a good sign to me they'e ambitious.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
Loved watchign us play last night...must have been 35 minutes b4 fulham showed any danger...was expecting a 0-1 to us scoreline...by what a marvel the whole team have been...
under Roy they must have felt chained to a large iron ball...but under kenny they have an extra mile in space...glorious to watch...
John Henry et al strike me as very shrewd cookies...and am actually loving the fact that they're the complete antithesis to the hicks/gillette carpetbaggers... no more empty promises, no more brash predictions, just a quiet 'matter of factness' that gets things done...

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 10, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance chaps. Hopefully things will be sorted this week but I don't see the point of delaying the decision. Still, they know best - we hope!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 10, 2011, 11:39:45 PM »
ok, despite no net contribution into the club from Henry to date (the Caroll and Suarez deals were covered by the money we got for Torres), I like their style.

we will only start to see how much they are behind us, when they start spending their own money this summer...and also with respect to the stadium plans (which I think - and hope will see us revamp the existing anfield stadium)

they are astute business people, who are strong enough not to bend to the latest media demands. 

kenny will get his deal.....but in the club's time-frame (not the media's').

BTW With spurs losing tonight, we will be in europe next season by beating spurs at anfield.  Even a draw, will still leave us in very good shape. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 11, 2011, 02:39:51 AM »
kenny will get his deal.....but in the club's time-frame (not the media's').
Precisely, another masterclass in media relations from Dalglish last night. Gave them nothing and the tents get packed up, the circus moves on, and it's speculation on Chelsea's manager that dons the back pages today. Apparently our friend Villas Boas is in the running for that gig....oh and of course Guus Hiddink (btw sometimes I think that the only reason Juventus exists as a football club is to have players linked with it, like there's some weird media rule, nothing to write link a player with Juve ;D)

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 11, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
Rory Smith's report suggests a deal in the next 10 days. Hopefully his club contacts are reliable.

I just don't see the logic behind delaying the announcement / decision until end of season. What have they got to lose / gain by delaying? Suggestions that it would somehow affect the team's performance aren't credible. What I think is likely to have happened is negotiations over the length of the contract and who has final say on player purchases.

But if we're being connected to Young and Downing in the above report then that sounds more like Kenny's choices than Commoli's. But I could be wrong of course.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
Rory Smith's report suggests a deal in the next 10 days. Hopefully his club contacts are reliable.

I just don't see the logic behind delaying the announcement / decision until end of season. What have they got to lose / gain by delaying? Suggestions that it would somehow affect the team's performance aren't credible. What I think is likely to have happened is negotiations over the length of the contract and who has final say on player purchases.

But if we're being connected to Young and Downing in the above report then that sounds more like Kenny's choices than Commoli's. But I could be wrong of course.

The bit I've emboldened is absolutely key. No disrespect to Comolli but Dalglish's vast experience and success, as both player and manager, has to be trusted ahead of Comolli's 'eye'.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2011, 11:44:35 PM »
The bit I've emboldened is absolutely key. No disrespect to Comolli but Dalglish's vast experience and success, as both player and manager, has to be trusted ahead of Comolli's 'eye'.
This fine line has to be handled very carefully. Whilst Kenny was in a caretaker role his powers were limited. Now that he's been given a contract he could feel more emboldened regarding transfers. Ultimately the manager has to have the final decision as he has to decide how the player will fit into the team. However, Comolli seems to be an astute scout so he should be respected.

I'm sure both men know they have to work together for the benefit of the club. Sensible heads are the order of the day.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 15, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
ah well, we feck up at the final hurdle.

and another fine day for mister webb.

2 or 3 issues raised today (all previously identified and covered in my end of season report BTW *cough cough*).

Carroll, our tactics when Carroll is in team, Kenny's inability to change games, lack of sub influence.

Basically, I would never have used Carroll in this game.  Instead, we needed to stick with a winning side (the team that hammered Fulham a few nights ago).   Kuyt and Suarez were on fire that night.....why demote Kuyt out to the right side of midfield today (and bring in Carroll).  Madness.

Three months of great work thrown away in a single afternoon.

And don't start me on Howard Webb.