October 01, 2020, 09:00:29 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 200496 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
Quote from: Juan on Today at 04:41:33 PM
<blockquote>Defensively I saved the best for last........The second was a super finish by Berbatov but if you watch it again Carragher gave him all the time in the world. Had Carragher been tight and made his presence felt there is no way Berbatov is controlling that ball and flicking it over his head.

good point, Juan.

And you have to ask why Berbatov had the nerve to even try that manoeuvre. 

I used to play upfront and I tried that same type of thing on a couple of occasions.   Well actually mine was more like Gazza's flick over the Scottish defender in euro 96.  Back to defender, dink the ball over his head.....run round the far side of him, and volley the ball at the goal.  Though, unlike Gazza, both my efforts hit the bar.

But I tried it because I noted that the particular defender, in both instances, was giving me more space than he should have been.  He wasn't getting tight. 

And I suspect that is what happened today.  The United striker saw Carra was not getting tight enough and that encouraged him to try his flick for the second goal.

Gerrard does what he always does, steps up when it matters.

I thought Gerrard was very poor.  United bossed the middle of the park.  Thus we were overrun the whole time.  Scholes was exceptional.

</blockquote>

I thought there were alot worse than Gerrard dude. I think hes normally head and shoulders above everyone else and yesterday was no different for me. And it helps when he manages to score 2 goals. Granted I know he takes penalties but 9 times out 10 he has the bottle to score them and yesterday was no different. And that free kick was sublime. I'm not sure there are many other players in the team even capable of striking a decent free kick.

Our defense and attack are major problems. Our defensive frailty is even rubbing off on Reina who at times looks uncharacteristically unsure. Birmingham he was his brilliant self but yesterday I thought he was below average. Thing is though hes not getting much help from his defense.

The sooner Roy stops playing players because of reputations, ie Carragher and the sooner he accepts players flaws the sooner we can progress. Johnsons not a right back, well a very good one anyway.

We dont have a bad squad. It may not be championship winning squad but its not as bad as we have seen to date either. I wont accept the excuse of the ownership from Roy anymore. Thats the easy way out. He has a squad at his disposal capable of challenging for a CL spot but not if they keep playing the way they have been. As always Roy will get the time he deserves but for me he has to start giving us more than what we have got to date.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
After Fergies attack on Torres I hope Roy has the balls to come out and defend Nando.

Who is Fergie to call Torres a cheat when Nani dived looking for a penalty to win the game.

How Fergie is allowed to get away with comments like that is beyond me and I hope roy puts his friendship with Fergie to one side and slates Fergie for being a hypocrite.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
Finally Henry Winter say's what I've been saying for some time. This concludes his report on the game...

Liverpool's new manager could do worse than consider pushing up Glen Johnson up the right and looking at Martin Kelly at full-back.

Bloody hell. I must be better than I thought!  ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »
Finally Henry Winter say's what I've been saying for some time. This concludes his report on the game...

Liverpool's new manager could do worse than consider pushing up Glen Johnson up the right and looking at Martin Kelly at full-back.

It definitely makes sense ASI. Johnson is a poor defender or at least has been for us up to now. Look at how Gareth Bales career has been transformed.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 06:56:11 PM »
It definitely makes sense ASI. Johnson is a poor defender or at least has been for us up to now. Look at how Gareth Bales career has been transformed.
Excellent comparison Juan. I'll stick my neck out and say it will happen before Christmas but earlier would be good.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:19 PM »
Not good when possibly your top defender is already having a veiled dig at the manager.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6390796,00.html

Agger won't alter style
Reds defender vows to defy Hodgson and carry on playing football

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 20th September 2010
Agger won't alter style

Daniel Agger on Roy Hodgson

Daniel Agger finds himself out of favour at Liverpool, but insists he will not be changing his ways.

The Danish defender was overlooked for the Reds' 0-0 draw at Birmingham and was only awarded a late cameo in their 3-2 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.

A lack of activity has left him frustrated, with new boss Roy Hodgson currently favouring other options.

Agger believes the former Fulham boss continues to snub him because his game does not suit the new-look Liverpool.

The 25-year-old feels his desire to play the ball out from the back is counting against him.
Philosophy

He will not be altering his style any time soon, though, even it means sticking life out on the Anfield bench.

"The manager's philosophy is that we play football in attack, but not at the back. That's not my style," Agger told Sporten.dk.

"I'm not that type of player. I like to keep the ball on the ground, and that's what I'll keep doing. Time will show if he [Hodgson] doesn't want to play me because of that.

"I'll try to change myself, but I will never be a player who offloads the ball at every opportunity.

"I'll fight for my chance. I know what I stand for, and I think he [Hodgson] does too."

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »

ASI, the journos catch on eventually (given enough time).
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
Not good when possibly your top defender is already having a veiled dig at the manager.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6390796,00.html

Agger won't alter style
Reds defender vows to defy Hodgson and carry on playing football

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 20th September 2010
Agger won't alter style

Daniel Agger on Roy Hodgson

Daniel Agger finds himself out of favour at Liverpool, but insists he will not be changing his ways.

The Danish defender was overlooked for the Reds' 0-0 draw at Birmingham and was only awarded a late cameo in their 3-2 defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.

A lack of activity has left him frustrated, with new boss Roy Hodgson currently favouring other options.

Agger believes the former Fulham boss continues to snub him because his game does not suit the new-look Liverpool.

The 25-year-old feels his desire to play the ball out from the back is counting against him.
Philosophy

He will not be altering his style any time soon, though, even it means sticking life out on the Anfield bench.

"The manager's philosophy is that we play football in attack, but not at the back. That's not my style," Agger told Sporten.dk.

"I'm not that type of player. I like to keep the ball on the ground, and that's what I'll keep doing. Time will show if he [Hodgson] doesn't want to play me because of that.

"I'll try to change myself, but I will never be a player who offloads the ball at every opportunity.

"I'll fight for my chance. I know what I stand for, and I think he [Hodgson] does too."

But it's very hard to disagree with him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »
After Fergies attack on Torres I hope Roy has the balls to come out and defend Nando.

Who is Fergie to call Torres a cheat when Nani dived looking for a penalty to win the game.

How Fergie is allowed to get away with comments like that is beyond me and I hope roy puts his friendship with Fergie to one side and slates Fergie for being a hypocrite.

Simply ignore the old fool. He makes himself look so stupid especially after Nani's theatrics in the same game.
I don't think he gets away with it, more a case of it's so old that nobody cares any more.

I'd prefer Hodgson to concentrate his mind fully on our problems rather than respond to idiocy.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
Seems Aggers attack on Hodgsons tactic is just the Danish media mis representing what he really siad. Agger claims they have twisted his words.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »
Seems Aggers attack on Hodgsons tactic is just the Danish media mis representing what he really siad. Agger claims they have twisted his words.

Danish tabloid madia is obviously not a patch on Danish bacon.  ;D

There must be some basis in truth though for what Agger said, even if it whatwas twisted. Hopefully what we're seeing at the moment will hopefully only be a prelude to pass and move.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
Well that was a flamin' shambles wasn't it? Question: Did we lose because of the players bequethed to Roy by Rafa or because Roy's poor judgement on player selection?

To be honest I haven't a clue. On paper it should have been a cricket score when you play at home but if our second string cannot out-think players from 3 divisions lower there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

I do question Roy's judgement when he makes Kyrgiakos captain!  :o
Cheers,
Ray

BandWMisery

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »
What's your verdict ASI? got to say I think much of last year and this year reminds me of the team that took us down. With hindsight I think the off field stuff played with the players in your case it has come from RB and it seems also some players that believed that last year you needed a better squad(Some worded like they where playing with players that they where better than).

Coming off the back of a win that I have to admit makes the misery part of my name void -  "Team Spirit" - even here you'll find me talking about my fears that team spirit brought us up but I doubted it would be enough. Now I have to say with the shrewd additions by CH I'm actually starting to believe that Team Spirit is a factor that can make up for lack of quality.

I honestly think that team spirit is the key whether there is other factors not sure but certainly with us Barton and Smith(Now you wouldn't of expected those 2) pulled the team together and it became either fight for the club or f*** off. Certainly today I expected a spanking and Chelsea far from put a weak team out, and it certainly wasn't our quality that put a shift and some fight in for the result.

Hopefully not in the distant future the off field stuff will stop playing on the players minds but "Team Spirit" isn't bought.

Any way that is my thought I can say I honestly expected any team you put out to of beat them and would say there is too many factors to condense it to one.

OT:
Really ought to catch you for a pint one day as I'm really not a bad lad even if I do support the barcodes. I also live in the scum supporters territory not to far from you if the weather sig is correct only over in Stockport.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:28:21 AM by BandWMisery »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »
Well that was a flamin' shambles wasn't it? Question: Did we lose because of the players bequethed to Roy by Rafa or because Roy's poor judgement on player selection?

To be honest I haven't a clue. On paper it should have been a cricket score when you play at home but if our second string cannot out-think players from 3 divisions lower there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

If there's the smallest iota of truth to what Agger was quoted as saying, I wonder how many of the squad are thinking the same way. There seems little evidence of the move away from Rafa's tactics to 'pass and move'. Most of the International teams our players represent play more positive football so they can't have forgotten the basic principles of football.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 12:39:29 AM »

This is another result that raises more questions than it does give answers.

Let me start by saying I dont think Roy should be criticized for team selection. The Carling Cup and the Europa League need to be used to blood players.

I only saw the goals so I cant really comment on the performance either. According to SSN it was a pretty even contest with Northampton growing in confidence as the game went on.

My issues with tonights game is that firstly Roy cant inspire a team that consists of 5-6 potential league starters to a win over a League 2 outfit and secondly yet again his failure to use substitutes with time left on the clock for them to make an impact in 90 minutes. If David Amoo, Tom Ince or Jon jo Shelvey arent good enough to come on within 90 minutes at home to Northampton then why are they on the bench? If Roy believe they can cope why didnt he change things earlier?

As I always say Roy deserves his time but if what we have seen so far in the way of tactics and style of football is what we should expect in the future I wont be surprised if Roy is soon known as the English Rafa, but without the tactical know how.

Just when you think we've hit rock bottom..............