August 09, 2020, 12:54:56 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 192857 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:48 AM »
It certainly does try your patience. We simply have to be fair to Hodgson and see where we are and how we got there come May. It's just frustrating that our interest in a possible trophy is already over. I don't what it's title is, a trophy is a trophy.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »
There seems little evidence of the move away from Rafa's tactics to 'pass and move'.

As you can see from my post I was just thinking the same thing.

I know its predominantly Rafas team but if Roys philosophy in football is an attacking one I would have expected to see glimpses of that by now.

My early gut feeling is that Roy is potentially out of his depth. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 12:52:43 AM »
It certainly does try your patience. We simply have to be fair to Hodgson and see where we are and how we got there come May. It's just frustrating that our interest in a possible trophy is already over. I don't what it's title is, a trophy is a trophy.

I'll be honest, as good as a day out in Wembley is and all that I didnt overly mind if we won the Carling Cup or not. It would have been nice but what I wanted to see us do is progress as far as possible to give the likes of Pacheco game time that they wont see in the league. Unfortunately we have come up short.

I dont know what this might tell Roy about the players hes seen lose tonight but it sure wont have been a showcase for his managerial skills either.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
Didn't see the game (Thank God!). I'm not going to have a go a Hodgson (but I'll add it to the list) cos it is ridiculously early to judge the guy. What that result shows is that a lot of these players are quite simply not Liverpool players. It has nothing to do with ability, class or fitness, you just don't lose at home to whoever in the Carling Cup. Supposedly that was there chance to impress and show what they're made of  :'(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »
Supposedly that was there chance to impress and show what they're made of  :'(

That's the most worrying part. The players that are not 1st eleven regulars should have been trying to prove something to the manager. If nothing else all the players should be busting a gut to want to win a trophy.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
What's your verdict ASI? got to say I think much of last year and this year reminds me of the team that took us down. With hindsight I think the off field stuff played with the players in your case it has come from RB and it seems also some players that believed that last year you needed a better squad(Some worded like they where playing with players that they where better than).
I haven't seen the game - only the goals so I can't really comment. But from what Jan Molby was saying on R5L they were absolutely awful. I don't understand why so many apparently good players can perform so abysmaly. Pacheco is a quality player and Spearing played a decent game in the Europa. Maybe they need some senior players round them?

Coming off the back of a win that I have to admit makes the misery part of my name void -  "Team Spirit" - even here you'll find me talking about my fears that team spirit brought us up but I doubted it would be enough. Now I have to say with the shrewd additions by CH I'm actually starting to believe that Team Spirit is a factor that can make up for lack of quality.
That's a good win for you. When I saw Chelsea had come back from 1-3 down I thought they'd win but credit to Newcastle. Team spirit is essential as is confidence. But after scoring after 8 minutes last night confidence should have been a Shay (given).  ;)

Hopefully not in the distant future the off field stuff will stop playing on the players minds but "Team Spirit" isn't bought.
No it can't but when you only have x amount of money to spend and you need 3 players then something has to give.

Quite frankly, what is concerning me more than the reserves losing is the ownership issue which must be resolved next month. If RBS extend the period then the increased interest payments will be crippling and could tip the club over the edge.

OT:
Really ought to catch you for a pint one day as I'm really not a bad lad even if I do support the barcodes. I also live in the scum supporters territory not to far from you if the weather sig is correct only over in Stockport.
Newcastle lads are fine. Yes, I live in Cheadle Hulme so maybe when I'm feeling a bit more sociable we can meet for a pint.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
wondering if Jim tweaked this site yesterday......because in firefox the site now looks tiny......the text is so small that it is unreadable.

the site still looks fine in explorer and seamonkey..........just something strange happened yesterday with firefox's display of the forum.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Quote from: Tes on September 21, 2010, 04:36:48 PM<blockquote>Danish tabloid madia is obviously not a patch on Danish bacon. ;D There must be some basis in truth though for what Agger said, even if it whatwas twisted. Hopefully what we're seeing at the moment will hopefully only be a prelude to pass and move.

it was totally twisted, Juan.

the danish print media took a tv interview, and then added their own questions in front of dan's answers......thus skewing the whole context.

we need stronger laws in europe, to eliminate such blatant deceit.

</blockquote>
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
wondering if Jim tweaked this site yesterday......because in firefox the site now looks tiny......the text is so small that it is unreadable.

the site still looks fine in explorer and seamonkey..........just something strange happened yesterday with firefox's display of the forum.

Dude, you need to clear your cookies. In Firefox go to Tools - Page Info - Security tab. View Cookies and remove all listed cookies. That sorted it for me.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:28 PM »
Dude, you need to clear your cookies. In Firefox go to Tools - Page Info - Security tab. View Cookies and remove all listed cookies. That sorted it for me.

Or use CCleaner.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »
Or use CCleaner.

I use CCleaner but had moved the cookies into the protected area so they weren't being deleted. But there were around 5 cookies to delete when I had problems with the anfieldroad.com site. Deleting them as described above sorted the problem.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 01:13:42 AM »
Gee, it would be nice to sneak a few wins in there (1-0 is fine, OGs no problem), quietly chalk up a few points on the board..... :-[

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »
Gee, it would be nice to sneak a few wins in there (1-0 is fine, OGs no problem), quietly chalk up a few points on the board..... :-[
Well Ed, Sunderland have an appalling record at Anfield so hopefully the senior team will do the business. Commentary is on Radio 5Live.

But we're only 3 points off 4th position so all this talk about crisis is a bit premature. I was watching the 2003 Carling Cup final last night against Manure. Interesting stat by the commentator. Liverpool have only won 3 of their last 16 games! And that's from a team that incudes Hamaan, Hyypia, Henchoz, Gerrard, Owen, Heskey and our old favourite Diouf! Somethimes even quality players struggle.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:51:55 AM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
I use CCleaner but had moved the cookies into the protected area so they weren't being deleted. But there were around 5 cookies to delete when I had problems with the anfieldroad.com site. Deleting them as described above sorted the problem.

Having had cookie problems before I don't bother protecting them, just let them be removed.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Well Ed, Sunderland have an appalling record at Anfield so hopefully the senior team will do the business. Commentary is on Radio 5Live.

But we're only 3 points off 4th position so all this talk about crisis is a bit premature. I was watching the 2003 Carling Cup final last night against Manure. Interesting stat by the commentator. Liverpool have only won 3 of their last 16 games! And that's from a team that incudes Hamaan, Hyypia, Henchoz, Gerrard, Owen, Heskey and our old favourite Diouf! Somethimes even quality players struggle.

I think it's more a case of people being worried by what they're seeing and that it doesn't bode well. It's only part of the problem and as we've all been put through the mangle repeatedly, I think this has helped magnify things, and we're looking for onfield solace and not finding finding any there either. If it gives the players a wake up call, then maybe Wednesday night could end up having something positive come out of it. (Inserts crossed fingers smillie).