August 13, 2020, 10:10:31 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193513 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »
yup something like that tes...

http://www.myspace.com/weirdcity/photos/

Agreed, some very nice art work Bart.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2010, 06:43:28 AM »
welcome, barticus.

i;d love to hear mre of your lifestyle there.  I almost bought in Portugal.  i loved idea of living in hills above the algarve. 

spain was pretty expensive near the coast, for me.

ultimately I gave up on europe, given the direction it was going (an authoritarian, control freak based state)

it was dirt cheap here fifteen years ago...you could pick up a house for peanuts...for an example...2 bedroom house for 4000 quid...3 bedroom house, 2 bathrooms and 3 terraces for about 20000 quid...friends who heard about this came out and snapped up a few but by then prices had started to go up...this is after 2000....then they went up and up and up and went for ridiculous prices and then it crashed, big styley...from the highest prices it must have come down by half....thats the model for most of the coast...

places like puerto banus went up and down but they were always expensive...and so they didnt see massive fluctuations...

agree with the super state thang about the EU soviet state but the beauty of it is, that this place is like Don camillo...there might be laws in place but this lot down here have never heard of them let alone implement them...after the nanny state of england...this place is utterly free...in theory you;re supposed to carry id...but i never have and in 10 years i have never been stopped...

plus points...
also there's things like the cheap alcohol...
the chilled out atmosphere...no violence...only the tourists..
council tax for the house...130 euros (112 quid) a year...
rubbish collected every night from your house...100 quid a year...
road tax...54 quid...
water and electricity just gone up through the global grand design of getting everyone's savings and making them reliant on the state...
oh and did i mention the 300 days sun?

bad points...er...
foods not as cheap in the local shops as it would be in england but there's always mercadona and aldi...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »
it was dirt cheap here fifteen years ago...you could pick up a house for peanuts...for an example...2 bedroom house for 4000 quid...3 bedroom house, 2 bathrooms and 3 terraces for about 20000 quid...friends who heard about this came out and snapped up a few but by then prices had started to go up...this is after 2000....then they went up and up and up and went for ridiculous prices and then it crashed, big styley...from the highest prices it must have come down by half....thats the model for most of the coast...

places like puerto banus went up and down but they were always expensive...and so they didnt see massive fluctuations...

agree with the super state thang about the EU soviet state but the beauty of it is, that this place is like Don camillo...there might be laws in place but this lot down here have never heard of them let alone implement them...after the nanny state of england...this place is utterly free...in theory you;re supposed to carry id...but i never have and in 10 years i have never been stopped...

plus points...
also there's things like the cheap alcohol...
the chilled out atmosphere...no violence...only the tourists..
council tax for the house...130 euros (112 quid) a year...
rubbish collected every night from your house...100 quid a year...
road tax...54 quid...
water and electricity just gone up through the global grand design of getting everyone's savings and making them reliant on the state...
oh and did i mention the 300 days sun?

bad points...er...
foods not as cheap in the local shops as it would be in england but there's always mercadona and aldi...

woow, amazing cheap prices for houses over there back then.

i learned long ago, that life is all about timing.  You made a great move, Barticus.

I love those cheap utility prices and the fact that much of spain (like when i was in areas of portugal) largely ignore stupid EU laws.  A senior person told me in Madeira, that the people ignore stupid laws.

You'd love, as an artist, the awesome views that I have here. 

By the way, would you perchance have a link to any real estate website - for your area/region?

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
Bolton (away)

first half perspective.

bolton have had their chances (we had a good one at the end of the half).

we have plenty of good personnel - but we seem very disorganised.  At times it is headless chicken stuff.  One even wonders if these lads have ever played together before.

a good team controls the tempo of a game.  We have shown no such composure or discipline.

torres looks out of form and I don't like his demeanour.

defence was so scared, that at one point when bolton had a freekick from the right, our 5 lads at the back were holding hands across the 6 yard line.   I'm surprised they didn't light a candle at the local chapel.

Reina is superb.  Kept us in the game.  Great hands.

overall, we seem very disorganised.   

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:57:46 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
Good summary dude. All our possession is in areas that aren't threatening. We're too slow to attack when we have the ball. Gerrard needs to sit deeper. Meireles could push forward maybe.

The holding hands thing in the wall is to avoid big gaps. Simple and effective. What is going on in Torres' head?

Second half now starting. Big 45 mins!!!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
we snatched a fortunate goal at the death, ASI.  We only started to put pressure on bolton in those final 5 minutes.

maxi caught my eye 2 or 3 times in the game......I like glimpses of the lad.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos, I love his never say die attitude.  He actually looks interested, unlike his mates.

Mereless - I predicted that our season was pivotal on how well Mereless hit the ground running.  That was always a pretty impossible task.  And it now seems he is struggling to make an immediate impact.  Pretty anonymous today.

I thought Gerrard and Torres were woeful.  And I do wonder whether their personal on-the-pitch love affair is over.  They don't seem to be so keen on each other (as they once were). 

hoof, hoof, hoof.........fans used to complain when carragher hoofed it forward..........wow, looking back that was a blissful period.  For under Woy, the entire team now hoof the ball. 

unless Woy plants grass in the sky, his stay at anfield will be a short one. 

man of the match - reina
players worthy of positive mention - Kyrgiakos, Maxi.

pretty poor fare.......tho to be honest, not too many teams will come away from bolton this season with three points.

this goal at the death will save Woy for a little bit longer.  I foresaw a nil-nil or 1-1 today...and then potentially getting hammered by chelsea.

It's not a case of IF Woy will go, merely a case of WHEN.  The sheer lack of organisation, and the amount of hoofing, will be his downfall.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »
What a manager that Woy Hodgson is!!!!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
What a manager that Woy Hodgson is!!!!!!

he's english you know

must be good.

so we can't judge him the way we did rafa or houllier.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »
Dude,

Snatched is a bit harsh. It was a good flick by Torres (who noticed Maxi's run) and a decent finish given no real power could be applied. But I agree Torres had a bad game. Not sure what's going on in his head. Might be non-football matters you know. These guys do have a life outside footie.

I thought Skrtel and Soto both had good games against Davies who was always going to be difficult to play against on his own patch. You can't knock a defence that keeps a clean sheet. I thought we were a lot better when Ngog came on. 4-4-2 might suit us against some teams but not Chelsea.

But Roy's tactics had me baffled. No substitutions in a game we had to win except Cole (injury) and Meirles (time wasting). Where was Pacheco or Shelvey? I do think it's only a matter of time before he goes but not until we have a settled board.

Anyway, we're up to the dizzy heights of 12th and only 3 pts behind City. Two weeks ago we were 9 pts behind them. Keep thinking positive.  :D

There's a story on the BBC that Brian Barwick is being considered for the Chairman post. I'd be happy with that? Would you?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:59:57 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
One other point today. The Liverpool fans were absolutely brilliant in their support of the team. Even singing about Maxi after he scored. If you were there today then well done for such brilliant support. You outsung the home fans on several occasions. The players should be proud of such support.
Cheers,
Ray

wittsy

« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »
I could hear the signing on the radio, really was good to hear.

Jas

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »
they're keeping the signing caged til the official window in January.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2010, 12:37:32 AM »
we snatched a fortunate goal at the death, ASI.  We only started to put pressure on bolton in those final 5 minutes.

maxi caught my eye 2 or 3 times in the game......I like glimpses of the lad.

Sotirios Kyrgiakos, I love his never say die attitude.  He actually looks interested, unlike his mates.

Mereless - I predicted that our season was pivotal on how well Mereless hit the ground running.  That was always a pretty impossible task.  And it now seems he is struggling to make an immediate impact.  Pretty anonymous today.

I thought Gerrard and Torres were woeful.  And I do wonder whether their personal on-the-pitch love affair is over.  They don't seem to be so keen on each other (as they once were). 

hoof, hoof, hoof.........fans used to complain when carragher hoofed it forward..........wow, looking back that was a blissful period.  For under Woy, the entire team now hoof the ball. 

unless Woy plants grass in the sky, his stay at anfield will be a short one. 

man of the match - reina
players worthy of positive mention - Kyrgiakos, Maxi.

pretty poor fare.......tho to be honest, not too many teams will come away from bolton this season with three points.

this goal at the death will save Woy for a little bit longer.  I foresaw a nil-nil or 1-1 today...and then potentially getting hammered by chelsea.

It's not a case of IF Woy will go, merely a case of WHEN.  The sheer lack of organisation, and the amount of hoofing, will be his downfall.

Couldnt watch todays game but listened to it via radio.

3 points at Bolton is never an easy feat so delighted with the win. By the sounds of it Torres had a day to forget before that super flick. Couldnt agree with you on selling Nando Dude, I know he has been injured alot but hes too good when he is fit to let go. Strikers go through bad spells, Rooneys the same at United. I'm not sure Torres believes where Roy is taking the club. I'm also not sure Roy can improve Nandos game like Rafa did. Torres and Nando seemed to have a mutual respect, I dont see that with some of the players and Roy.

By the sounds of it and correct me if I'm wrong but today although we won and thats the main priority the team didnt sound like they played too well. At times when they had possession it sounded like they did very little with it and were often lacking when it came to opening Bolton up.

Krygy sounded like he played well. Himself and Skrtel for central defensive partnership going forward? Roy will never drop Carra though. Lucas sounded ineffective.

I credit Roy with the win but it doesnt change my opinion that hes not up to it. Hes going to compromise the way we should play football, hes going to compromise on what we should expect to achieve and if hes left in charge too long I would be afraid some fans might start to accept the mediocrity that comes with Roy. Hes never been a winner so I cant see why he will start to become one now.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »
Still utterly unconvinced that Roy is the one to bring us back to the champions league...no tactical guile...no dynamic substitutions...we won despite Roy as it came down to a little bit of class from Torres (world champion) and maxi (ever present argentinian player) to slot it in...
The game simply shows how badly we've been underachieving thus far...and that the squad with a few additions can challenge for 4th...
The reason we've been underachieving is Roy...he's way over his head....and the idea of him spending money for 5/6 players in january is deeply worrying...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:01 PM »
Liverpool v Napoli
Nov 4th 2010

half time

disappointing stuff.

napoli have been playing as if there are the home team.

we are standing off napoli, giving them all the time in the world to pass the ball around in triangles.

they are well worth their 1-0 half time lead.

watching tonight, this display reminds me of Graeme Souness's managerial time at Anfield.  It is clueless.  One keeps trying to figure out what we are organised to do.  And I still end up scratching my head.  A distinct lack of organisation.  I think some lads are unsure of what they are supposed to be doing (as individuals).

I have not seen a worse manager in the anfield dugout since Graeme Souness.

Roy's appointment has been a massive step backwards for the club.

I hope John Henry and his missus, get the vibe from the fans tonight (that Woy is out of his depth).