October 01, 2020, 09:10:44 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 200500 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2010, 11:34:47 PM »
Didn't the banks keep saying that leading up to the credit crunch?

pmsl
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
Very very disappointing result. Didn't get to see the game but needless to say this result had a very Benitezish side to it. Winning home at the reigning champions only to drop points a few days later away to a team destined for relegation. This shows how shallow our squad is in terms of quality. Prolly drop points at Stoke as well and the momentum will be gone in a few days.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2010, 10:33:54 PM »
Very very disappointing result. Didn't get to see the game but needless to say this result had a very Benitezish side to it. Winning home at the reigning champions only to drop points a few days later away to a team destined for relegation. This shows how shallow our squad is in terms of quality. Prolly drop points at Stoke as well and the momentum will be gone in a few days.

So after 12 games in charge not including Europe, Woy still hasn't stamped his authority on his squad.  I think this say's more about Hodgeson than it does of Benitiz imho.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2010, 11:28:48 PM »
Didnt see the game but according to mates who got to see it if Wigan had won by 2 it wouldnt have been an injustice.

Have read reports on the match and they are basically to the same effect.

I think results like the one against Chelsea at home on Sunday could be a regular ish occurrence under Roy  but so too will results like tonight against Wigan. He will never get the consistency necessary to challenge for the league especially away from home.  Our run of fixtures ahead suggest we should be capable of going on a run but I really think it will be a mixed bag with plenty of points dropped.

I just wonder how long are NESV going to let this charade play out until.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:38 AM »
woy is useless on his travels.

we beat chelsea due to being on autopilot.  IMHO  Our lads knew chelsea so well from the previous encounters.

wigan had won only one game all season at home....losing 5.

they were there for the taking - and yet they will think themselves unlucky not to have beaten us.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has warned their dismal away record could come back to haunt them.

"Our away record will come to haunt us until we start winning," said Hodgson. "I remember when I was at Halmstads we had two years without winning away. It goes that way. One day, the day will come.

"But the most important thing is that if you don’t win away from home, you get a result and that is something we have done.

"If you look, there are a lot of teams in the league who have lost more matches. If you add the fact we are unbeaten in the Cup, three matches, we don’t have a bad record, having lost just seven times in 28 or 29 matches.

"We have had some draws away from home when we have been expected to lose. The most important thing is that we keep going. I don’t see any magical formula which will see us suddenly change it around.

"Every away game we play in the Premier League, our opponents expect to beat us. We rarely start as favourites. I don’t think some of the bookies were even making us favourites against Swansea."

Fulham's away record (and Blackkburn's (just for sh!ts and giggles):

Fulham
2009/10 1
2008/09 3
2007/08 3

Blackburn
1997/98 5

A bit of a pattern emerging there, Martin. As Benitez won the European Cup with Houllier's team, surely Roy, being the talent he is (at least in comparison to a certain R. Benitez), could stop the pattern you've described from happening and take a sow's ear and make a purse out of it, as Inter's current boss did in his first season.

Quick question, Martin. As all our ills are the previous manager's fault, if we do win something this season (stop laughing at the back), will you be giving him all the credit also? 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »
woy is useless on his travels.

I think that's a bit unfair, Dude.  Halmstad,  Bristol, Örebro, Malmö, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, Milan, Blackburn, Milan (again), Zurich, Copenhagen, Udine (Udinese), United Arab Emirates, Stavangar, Finland and Fulham, and not one missing person's report.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
I think that's a bit unfair, Dude.  Halmstad,  Bristol, Örebro, Malmö, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, Milan, Blackburn, Milan (again), Zurich, Copenhagen, Udine (Udinese), United Arab Emirates, Stavangar, Finland and Fulham, and not one missing person's report.

The thing I find amusing is that people look at that list of clubs and the fact there is so many of them people equate that with success.

To me that suggest hes a journeyman who couldn't hold down a job or at least be successful enough to stay at a particular club for more than two years. Its not like hes been doing a Mourihno on it going to a club winning major trophies and moving on to a new and bigger challenge.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »
The thing I find amusing is that people look at that list of clubs and the fact there is so many of them people equate that with success.

To me that suggest hes a journeyman who couldn't hold down a job or at least be successful enough to stay at a particular club for more than two years. Its not like hes been doing a Mourihno on it going to a club winning major trophies and moving on to a new and bigger challenge.

It's his pedigree or rather lack of it, over decades, that is the most baffling thing about his appointment. It's not like he's a relative rookie (5 years experience) who's shown enough potential to suggest that at the right club he will flourish.

Tony Adams looks like he's following in Roy's footsteps, Gabala FC of Azerbaijan.  ???

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
Tony Adams looks like he's following in Roy's footsteps, Gabala FC of Azerbaijan.  ???

Lennon started at Celtic.  Imagine.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
Lennon started at Celtic.  Imagine.

.......and will end up at Farsley Celtic.  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
.......and will end up at Farsley Celtic.  :D

:D

why not Captain Marvel taking over from Woy.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has warned their dismal away record could come back to haunt them.

"Our away record will come to haunt us until we start winning," said Hodgson. "I remember when I was at Halmstads we had two years without winning away. It goes that way. One day, the day will come.

So it seems Roy was actually consistent at all the clubs he managed.

Consistently unable to win away from home.

Stoke will be a tough one and maybe it will give us a further insight into whether Roys got a built in flaw about taking a team on the road. The result is most important of course but performance is right up there too at the moment, Roy needs to prove he can make this team perform.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
It certainly seems like a long standing and uncorrected career long problem.

The remaining 3 fixtures in November, the two aways at Stoke and Spurs and the home game with West Ham, who seem to have discovered a bit of fight recently, will go a long way to showing whether he's starting to get to grip with the issues or whether the recent unbeaten run actually has less substance and cause for optimism that the results in isolation would seem to suggest.

When you see the list of clubs and countries he's managed, the 'achievements' and the time spent with any of them, more and more it appears so at odds with what NESV have so far outlined as their vision for the club, it's getting harder to understand why he's still here.

Obviously the season, in many ways, is a transitional one but the sooner we start that process for real, the better. At the moment it just feels like we're standing around, lamely waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen by being proactive.
Finishing outside of the top four this season is going to intensify the difficult process even further and with the new financial rules just around the corner, we need the Champions League more than ever and not just from a footballing perspective.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »
Quick question, Martin. As all our ills are the previous manager's fault, if we do win something this season (stop laughing at the back), will you be giving him all the credit also?

That's quite a provocative thing to say. When or where did I say all our ill's are the previous manager's fault? I am of the firm belief Rafa is and was a bad at man management, including his favorites no matter how poor they performed while resting his non-favorites despite showing good form. He also kept the players on an extremly short leech throughout his reign. In the end he couldn't call on the team to perform for him which is why we more often than not the last two seasons ended up looking disjointed and lacklustre. This is the Rafa illness. It'll take time to fix but it isn't his fault although his involvement in the club during the past 6 years goes some way to explain current performances. It's not his fault if we play badly but the reason we play badly is in part explained by his approach towards the players. Catch me drift? Reckon most likely not.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.