October 01, 2020, 08:46:12 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 200487 times)

Clem

Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2010, 05:46:10 PM »
That's quite a provocative thing to say. When or where did I say all our ill's are the previous manager's fault? I am of the firm belief Rafa is and was a bad at man management, including his favorites no matter how poor they performed while resting his non-favorites despite showing good form. He also kept the players on an extremly short leech throughout his reign. In the end he couldn't call on the team to perform for him which is why we more often than not the last two seasons ended up looking disjointed and lacklustre. This is the Rafa illness. It'll take time to fix but it isn't his fault although his involvement in the club during the past 6 years goes some way to explain current performances. It's not his fault if we play badly but the reason we play badly is in part explained by his approach towards the players. Catch me drift? Reckon most likely not.

That's quite a provocative thing to say too, sausage.
In all honesty Martin I think it is to your credit that you can see Roy's reign in optimistic terms (wish i could share) but, since we are lacking significant improvement this term wheredo you differentiate between Rafa's failure and Roy's? I'm just curious - please don't call me 'pathetic' this time  ;)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
I am of the firm belief Rafa is and was bad at man management. He also kept the players on an extremly short leash throughout his reign. In the end the team ended up looking disjointed and lacklustre. This is the Rafa illness. It'll take time to fix.

yip, woy's well on his way to fixing it.

we need not be concerned any longer, with those nasty Champions League games, nor those pesky finals.  They disrupted our summer vacations and swiss preseason training anyroads.

nor need we have to accept straightforward qualification for the CL each season, from now on.

woy is da man. 

all wail woy.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
That's quite a provocative thing to say.

Where's the provocation in it. Martin? At every twist and turn you keep bringing the former manager into things.
Whether it's a positive or negative thing, he's gone. History.

"to drop points a few days later away to a team destined for relegation" and then "prolly drop points at Stoke as well" is most definately what you get with Hodgson. His away record, and not just with us, is dire. It is so, so typical of his teams. But no, you refer to dropping points away after beating Chelsea at home as having " a very Benitezish side to it".

Whether we'd have faired any better at Wigan under Benitez can only be debated.

Are you saying you expect us to drop points at Stoke? If so, at who's door do you lay the blame? The manager of Inter or the manager of Liverpool?

Don't misunderstand. Nobody on here wants Roy to fail. Why would we? But wanting him to succeed is so far only based on hope. Not having the faith that he will is based on 35 years of past evidence. The balance of probability does not weigh in his favour. Unfortunately.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
Don't misunderstand. Nobody on here wants Roy to fail. Why would we? But wanting him to succeed is so far only based on hope. Not having the faith that he will is based on 35 years of past evidence.

Super point Tes. I think that probably sums up the feelings of 90% of Liverpool fans.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:01 PM »
Stoke versus Liverpool
Nov 13, 2010

Drab first half.

Bad start to the second half - Stoke have scored and have us on the back foot.

Like previous games, we are totally disorganised.  I struggle to see our line of midfielders or defenders. 

It's headless chicken stuff.  We do not look like Liverpool at all.  This is another typical workman-like performance.....journeymen stuff, ala the same way that a Bolton or Blackburn would perform.  All bust-a-gut, with no subtlety or intelligence.

Dire strip too.  We look like the all blacks......we just need a rugby ball.

Roy has to go.  I don't think he could organise a pis.s-up in a brewery.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »
6 days later after beating chelsea we end up with 1 point from a possible six...
There can be no excuses anymore...Roy has to go...he's not up to it and he has no tactical nous...
With Pellegrini gone to Malaga, the real problem is who can replace Roy? 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
6 days later after beating chelsea we end up with 1 point from a possible six...

Be fair, Barticus they were both away. As his record suggests and as we are having confirmed to our cost, Roy doesn't do away wins.  :D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
lol....*cries* horrifyingly true...

Clem

« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
Question has got to be...has henry got the balls to do it? I think he's worried about replacing one mistake with another. If he backs the wrong horse now though, we are going to lose out big time next year. He says the start of the season isn't down to roy because its Rafa's team. Give that team to a top manager and dya think he would produce such an almighty mess? He has failed his own test - how many games do we have to judge him on now?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Question has got to be...has henry got the balls to do it? I think he's worried about replacing one mistake with another. If he backs the wrong horse now though, we are going to lose out big time next year. He says the start of the season isn't down to roy because its Rafa's team. Give that team to a top manager and dya think he would produce such an almighty mess? He has failed his own test - how many games do we have to judge him on now?

the problem will be, who does John Henry go to, to get advice on a new appointment.

I wouldn't listen to much Dalglish has to say on the issue.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »

Great points, Clem. We now have 6 directors. Not one of them has any sort of football experience. However, we do have a former double winning manager in our midst and as I said before about Parry, on the business side the less said the better, but on the football side he did identify Benitez when the obvious money was going on the likes of Curbishley and Strachan. Surely there are people wihin football they can take soundings from.

Roy had the god awful task of being able to field a starting lineup of 11 players who had all been capped by their countries today and only two of them were brought in by him.
I agree with Pellegrini out of the equation now there's an obvious problem of who. Phil Thompson didn't do a bad job standing in for Houllier. Steve Heighway was well respected by the the players he brought through during all his years at the academy including the likes of Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Gerrard, Carra etc.
I think we'd have to go down the caretaker manager route until the Summer and I still have reservations about Kenny taking over. I guess there's no obvious, standout, 'off the top of your head' candidate. At the moment I'd nearly prefer Uncle Roy to the present Roy.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2010, 09:47:08 PM »
I have also mentioned Roy Evans these past months.

He'd be a much better bet than Woy.......until at least the summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »
As per usual the bitter Rafaites is taking any chance to take a sweep at Roy instead of actually discussing the obvious problems. It wasn't Roy's fault Gerrard had to take that pass to N'Gog so poorly, it wasn't Roy's fault the players committed unforced errors and basic mistakes for 94 minutes. I don't agree with his line up. But surely this game had very little with management to do. Stoke is a crap side I hope to see in the Championship next season. Still, the only quality they have - run like a fornicating fury at every ball - was enough to prevent us from getting into the game. We have too many overpaid primadonnas in this team. You can dream all you want about the Mourinho's and what have you's of the footballing world, it doesn't matter who we get in as these spoilt and lazy players aren't willing to stand up while playing in a red shirt. Just like the derby it was all about pride and willingness to fight. We don't have it in us hence we lose, hence we'll lose quite a number of games between now and May.

Lucas' had like 5 decent and 1 good games the last 3 seasons - yet a regular for Liverpool.
Maxi had 2 good games since signing - yet a regular for Liverpool.
Konchesky - well based on this season's performances he'd struggle to hold down a place in Fulham.
Carragher is a great fighter and have a big heart, but hoofing it 90 % of the time will do little to help this team establish a game of its own.
Meireles - is a very good footballer and would do a lot for this team if played in his correct position which, btw, isn't right midfield. Oh wait, then we'd have to put Lucas on the bench and we can't have that, can we?
Kyrgiakos and Skrtel good enough for now and in games like these (their second goal was all down to Gerrard's error).
Kuijt is also a very good player but didn't perform one thing right tonite.
Torres - I don't know. It's not like he's helping this team winning games. Looks uninterested and unhappy. fork him I say. Move on then, I don't want this club to be held ransom by spoilt brats not willing to give it their all.

All in all this team is extremly weak in terms of quality. We need to realise that and start playing like the shed teams that kick our arses as they please. We're a shed side with a shed squad - no pride, no heart, no quality.

The main problem isn't Roy, the main problem is this club's been splashing out hundreds of millions on lazy and mediocre players who doesn't understand what wearing the red shirt means. I don't care what happens from now on. Until we start signing players with character and integrity I couldn't care less.

This was by far the cuntiest performance of the season. Geeze I'm pissed.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
Our points tally this season will be between 50-55 points.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »
the weakest link is sitting in the dugout.