August 13, 2020, 10:22:01 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193523 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
As per usual the bitter Rafaites is taking any chance to take a sweep at Roy instead of actually discussing the obvious problems.

As per usual Martin is bringing the previous manager into, yet again, and making misplaced, sweeping assumptions at the same time. Oh, and sorry if that's provocative.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »
Our points tally this season will be between 50-55 points.

Where do you think that will enable us to finish, Martin?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
Where do you think that will enable us to finish, Martin?

7th to 10th.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Clem

« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
I have also mentioned Roy Evans these past months.

He'd be a much better bet than Woy.......until at least the summer.

interesting call that - what about Roy (Evans) and Kenny combo in some form until summer? Personally I would have Kenny in for sure. I can understand some people's doubts because he has been out of the game a while, but we have to be careful were not being  sold  Sky Sports mantra that football began in 1992 and is transformed beyond all recognition since we were kings. Its nonsense - none of our back four would get anywhere near the 78/9 record breakers...Lucas would not keep Souness out of the side etc, and Kenny still knows football, has a true red heart and is willing to help. I dont think it matters what we think tbh. Henry has said he expects Roy H to be here this time next season, so he clearly is a ways away from becoming a football man just yet.  Does he not get any advice from within the club at all? What is needed is some of that 'listening to the fans' Henry has bleated on about, and fast.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
7th to 10th.

OK, thanks. Very interesting. So if that then leads to no European football next season, where does that then leave us as a club?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
Henry has said he expects Roy H to be here this time next season, so he clearly is a ways away from becoming a football man just yet.  Does he not get any advice from within the club at all? What is needed is some of that 'listening to the fans' Henry has bleated on about, and fast.

I'd have Roy back, Clem.  I'd also definitely have John Aldridge at Anfield, in some bootroom/coaching type capacity.  For me, he would be a lifetime employment. 

Kenny's time has come and gone IMHO     

As for John Henry.........that type of driven individual won't give Roy much longer imho
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »
OK, thanks. Very interesting. So if that then leads to no European football next season, where does that then leave us as a club?

Where it is and have been heading for years.

True, Henry comes across as a driven gentleman. He also appears to be smart and sacking Roy without having forked out a long-term strategy may cause more problems than it solves. Surely Henry could see for himself the poor quality in the squad tonite and distinghish between that and Roy's weaknessess as a manager.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Clem

« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »
true, Dude. Only drawback with Evans was defence. His teams were really imbalanced sometimes - Kvarme, Razor and Babb were his. We were awesome going forward but if his team could defend properly we would have been champions in 96. Dont think he has the energy we need at the minute, not on his own.  Hope youre right about Henry, Dude, and he isn't approaching this season in the way he thinks would please the fanbase - by which I mean, exhibiting an adherence to stability and continuity and free of drama. Would make sense to an outsider. But what the Kop really wants is a dynamic new force in the dug-out to match the dynamic new force in the boardroom - he hasn't realised the desire for change at the club yet. I honestly think that by keeping faith in Roy he thinks he is giving the club the Liverpool Way back after it was shed all over by the previous yanks. Nice sentiment, but wrong. we are dying to get behind the right man.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »
what the Kop really wants is a dynamic new force in the dug-out to match the dynamic new force in the boardroom - he hasn't realised the desire for change at the club yet. I honestly think that by keeping faith in Roy he thinks he is giving the club the Liverpool Way back after it was s*** all over by the previous yanks. Nice sentiment, but wrong. we are dying to get behind the right man.

totally agree, Clem.

given the events of the past few seasons, I worry that we turn into a newcastle.....that is, the fans get too dominant in the thoughts of the owners/decision makers.  That scennario means regular sackings and no stability.  Stability is the key to long term success.

I am not sure that Henry will pay too much heed, at least in the short term, to the Liverpool way.  I do feel that he will not be a big talker in the media - which I like.  And on that same token, I am not sure that Henry will appreciate Roy's regular rants in the media.

You're right.  We need a new manager who we can all get behind.  It needs to be a top up-and-coming, or well established, european man.  Roy was a blip....a mistake.  Let's not go down that local road again, by appointing say someone like harry rednapp to replace him. 

Pelligini, Hiddink, Hetzfeld, are my three choices.  Scolari might be worth a shout too.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
Sean O'Driscoll.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »
Albert Finney.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
Sean O'Driscoll has Doncaster Rovers excelling whilst playing some fantastic football. And unlike Halmstads, they haven't gone two years without winning away.  :D

Clem

« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »
why did I think sean O'Driscoll was an Irish rugby player???

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
why did I think sean O'Driscoll was an Irish rugby player???

Clem, you were thinking of Brian O'Driscoll.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »
The squad needs a few additions...rafa left a squad with Mascherano, Benayoun and Insua included..those 3 going was down to purslow balancing the books...that was not down to Rafa...
Allowing aquilani to go on loan was down to Roy...you can't bleat about the weakness of the squad when you give away your players...spending 5 mil on konchesky is all very well for fulham but when pennant looks like christiano ronaldo against you you know you;re having a bad day...

Motivation is down to the manager, you can blame rafa all you want, but 7 of the players yesterday were in the squad that thrashed manure 4-1 less than 2 years ago...on that day the players responded to Rafa and trusted him...the 7 who played yesterday didn't respond to the current manager...

Drive and determination in players is a must and that i think Torres and Gerrard and on certain days Carra can be primadonna's...there is a fine line between wanting to win and losing faith with a manager...they began to show distrust in the last 6 months of Rafa's reign...that they are already doing the same with Roy says it all...