December 03, 2020, 11:23:54 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 210801 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #300 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43:32 AM »
Just saw the game....thought we were good...
Konchesky is a joke...and that's Roy's fault...he shouldnt have been on the field...we all know how slooooooowwwwww konchesky is, so we put him up against Speedy Gonlennon...a brilliant tactical move...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 29, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
I only spotted this on MoTD2 tonight. As Defoe took the pen the camera behind the goal showed Torres walking towards the centre spot with his back to the play. What was all that about?

Attitude, ASI. He has two choices, get his head sorted and start playing for LFC and the fans irrespective of who the manager is or hand in a transfer request and leave. He's taking far too much money out of the club to simply go through the motions.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 29, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Just saw the game....thought we were good...
Konchesky is a joke...and that's Roy's fault...he shouldnt have been on the field...we all know how slooooooowwwwww konchesky is, so we put him up against Speedy Gonlennon...a brilliant tactical move...

It's not a question of pace, it's about being able to read the game,which Paul gave proof he's incapable of. That goes for Carra as well on their first where he was way out of position.

I can live with Glen, but the rest of the back 4 really needs to be replaced. True Carra had his moments yesterday but he's very often a liability committing basic mistakes that cost us dearly. Skrtl isn't good enough nor is Konchesky. Until we sort the defence out we'll struggle.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »
Exactly, it's the foundation on which all good teams are built.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 29, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »
Attitude, ASI. He has two choices, get his head sorted and start playing for LFC and the fans irrespective of who the manager is or hand in a transfer request and leave. He's taking far too much money out of the club to simply go through the motions.

Echoes my sentiments exactly. If he banged in goas consistently and we kept on dropping points  I could understand his frustrations. But when he only manage a goal every 4th or 5th game and contribute zip, zero, nil inbetween he should either stick with the programme or hand in a transfer request.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 29, 2010, 12:08:05 PM »

good spot, asi

yes, Tes, torres has to get his attitude sorted.

I have been saying this for a long time.  His demeanour and attitude has been very poor.   He needs to stop acting the primadonna and start doing some hard work for the team.  He is not as good as he himself thinks he is.  I look at him and see a big head that needs taken down a step or two.  The childish sulkiness needs to go.  He should be enjoying his football. 

But given his injuries, he is in no position to be Jack the lad. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 29, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
Thought we played well for the majority of the game yesterday. Should have been 3 nil up if Maxi and Nando took their chances.  Gutted with the final result but thought it was our best away performance for a while. And Meireles (a Roy signing) is fast becoming one of our best players.

Clem

« Reply #307 on: November 29, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
Thought we played well for the majority of the game yesterday. Should have been 3 nil up if Maxi and Nando took their chances.  Gutted with the final result but thought it was our best away performance for a while. And Meireles (a Roy signing) is fast becoming one of our best players.

me too thought there was a lot of encouragement in this game - even Roy played a better formation.  He just needs to get his head sorted about Konchesky - Houllier and rafa both proved to their costs that you can be too loyal to a player who you had faith in. I know its a bad result for any top 4 aspirations we have but if we can play that well every week we will get back in the mix.  Martinmarx youre right about the defence - I don't trust them to do their jobs properly for a full 90 minutes against even half-decent opposition.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 29, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »
In fairness to Torres as a pundit pointed out his body language has never been great, he always looks sulky even when he was banging in the goals. His flick to set up Maxi was superb and aside from a bad touch here or there I thought he did okay. He doesnt get service too often and at times its a thankless job for him.

At one point during yesterdays game i actually thought to myself that he deserves to play in a team alot better than this one.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 29, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
Aside from the result which i predicted would be 1-1 I thought we played very much like i expected. It was a much improved performance, we matched Spurs in most areas. The likes of Konchesky was shown up. I suggested before yesterdays game that we would see an improved performance because we were playing a bigger team and because the players wouldn't need motivation. I believed Roy wouldnt have anything to do with the improvement and I still think thats what happened.

Just like a win is a win when you play badly a loss is a loss no matter how well you play. Lets see how we do against villa next monday.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
We've got a bunch of potential banana skins in the next few league games. They'll prove whether there's substance in yesterday's performance or whether it was just another false down.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
I'd agree very much with that, tes. I have this weird feeling that looking back in a few months time last nite's defeat was the start of a great run. More than anything I think it was important the team could show itself it's capable of dominating a game away from home against a "title contender"  ;D Just need to get a few quality defenders in in January because we so would've won yesterday with a better CB-pairing.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Roy Hodgson has only nine victories from his past 73 away matches in the Premier League, a sequence that stretches across six seasons and three clubs – Blackburn Rovers, Fulham and now Liverpool.

I don't have the data at hand, regarding goals scored and conceded in those away game.  BUT, I bet Roy's teams were not hammered often when away from home.  They were, for the most, close games I imagine.    Just like against Spurs, and our other away games, we were competitive and there was very little in it.  But the end result is always the same - Roy's team rarely wins away from home.

Roy admits that his approach is the same, both home and away.  He say: "There is certainly no difference in the way we approach the games.  We don't have a home approach and away approach. We want to do the same things with the ball and without the ball home and away. You can't deny that at Anfield the crowd is an advantage and that it spurs people on. Also, you can't deny that decisions go in your favour more when you are at home. That is a fact of life."

THUS, my conclusion is that it is down to tactics.  A top manager can change things around, at crucial moments in games.  I suspect that Roy is weak in this department.  And any changes he does make, are belated ones.....long after the horse has bolted.  A top manager (e.g. Benitez or Mourinho) is proactive.......Roy seems to be reactive (and even them waits too long to take action).

I would be keen to see, across his career, when he brings on subs (and what types of changes he makes with the substitutions).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 30, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
Agreed Dude.

That sounds like Roy has one way of playing football, if plan A doesnt work revert to Plan A.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
Watched Barcelona Real last night. Barcas performance was probably the best Ive seen in the last 20 years.  They were awesome. Barca should be the bench mark that any manager should attempt to reach. They played total football. Its was like the Liverpool teams of old, simple but destructive football, pass and move.

I think the likes of John Henry should earmark a performance like that and say thats the way I want a Liverpool team of the not so distant future to play, now how do I go about achieving that. That way of playing is never going to happen under someone like Roy.

Hes looking at target men like Carlton Cole. Barca had little David Villa leading the line and he was awesome. They dont use a target man because everything is played on the floor. And what I find interesting that Mascherano sat on the bench without playing. Hes doomed at Barca. They rarely need a player to break up play, they want creativity in centre midfield and Busquets seems to be doing that quiet well in place of Masch.

To attempt to emulate a team like Barca are now could take years but the only way to do it is to start planning now and reap the rewards 10 years down the line. To start we need a young dynamic manager with a total footballing philosophy approach. 

As for Torres if he saw last nights game and Barca came back in for him in the summer you really couldnt begrudge him to play in a team like that.