October 25, 2020, 09:36:27 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 204848 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »
That's excellent news Juan. I'm assuming they would have been given assurances they will get more first team action.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
I don't know really. Seems we're really thin behind the starting XI. I thought Jovanovic played well and truly deserves a run in the PL. Other than that, I'd say mediocre is a flattering way to describe our fringeplayers.

Wilson - say what? I don't understand how he got this far.

Shelvey - He's 18 an'all they say. True. Is he any good tho? Is there anything suggesting he'll come good? No

Pahceco - Se above. + he gave proof how silly and unsubstatial those tireless and pointless "he's-the-hottest-prospect-in-Spanish-footy" claims really are. Slow, immature, and totally without awareness. Pretty nice touch on the ball tho.

Babel - Eh, you heard it all before.

Ngog - wouldn't make a difference coming on for a League 2 side. Yet he's Liverpool's second striker. How Fergie and Wenger keeps a straight face is incredible.

Kelly - best of the kids but I struggle to see him as part of a titlewinning side now or in the future.

I think our performance were pathetic. Here we are, fringeplayers given a chance to prove their case against a mediocre side. Yet they show no will or grit to make it hard for Roy to pick his starting XI. People harp on about Poulsen and Konchesky being poor signings (which they in fairness are). Still this is the heritage of the all mighty Rafa. Not much of a heritage if you ask me. Or as a wise man said upon buying this club: there's plenty of hard work along the road ahead.

Cred to Jova tho for hanging in their and giving it his all after having to watch the worthless Maxi getting picked week in and week out.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:10:41 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
Great news with Kelly and more importantly for me Pacheco signing new contracts;

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/new-deals-for-kelly-and-dani

Liverpool have today confirmed youngsters Dani Pacheco and Martin Kelly have signed new contracts at Anfield.

Pacheco has signed a two year extension taking his contract to 30 June 2014, while Kelly has signed a three year extension, also taking his contract to 30 June 2014.

At least when Roy sells him we'll got more for him.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Clem

« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
Pacheco is staying  :o...but what about all that I read in the press?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
That's excellent news Juan. I'm assuming they would have been given assurances they will get more first team action.

Yeah super news, time to start giving him premiership game time now.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:11 PM »
At least when Roy sells him we'll got more for him.

Haha its hard not to be a cynic these days

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2010, 10:50:30 PM »
Pacheco is staying  :o...but what about all that I read in the press?

As ASI says they must have promised him game time. He was on the first plane out next January 1st right up until recently.

Maybe its not the work of Roy, maybe someone else at the club sees his potential and moved to keep Pacheco. Its only a theory but Roy never fancied this guy so I dont see why he would give him a new deal.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2010, 11:01:24 PM »
I heard a commentator say something about Babel last night that I found rather typical of the type of abuse some players get, abuse thats sometimes a bit nonsensical.

He was talking about Babel not being a regular for Liverpool this season and he said something like "sure hes only managed one goal for Liverpool this season" as if to say his solitary goal was the reason he wasnt playing and in fact he should have scored more.

Unless Babel can score goals from his couch at home I'm not sure how hes meant to be banging in the goals because for more games than not he hasnt even been on the bench.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
 :D  It's like when they state a player who is a defender (and a defensive minded one, ala Carra, at that) has only scored 2 goals in four years for his club. Morons. The lot of them.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »
you see this is the problem when football media morons are handed a sheet of data and asked to commentate or analyse.

"I don't know why Bob Paisley doesn't deploy young Phil Neal up front.  He has scored 8 times already this season''

aye, he's our friggen penalty taker, you muppet. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:51 AM »
I don't usually condone violence but commentators like that should be kicked between the legs, so they share the pain we go through listening to them.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
I don't usually condone violence but commentators like that should be kicked between the legs, so they share the pain we go through listening to them.

agreed.

modern commentators do my head in.   e.g. clive tysdeley, john motson, jonathan pearce, john champion, etc, etc.  It's all endless spewing....often of data.

and it is often personal and casting aspersions.

oh for the days of barry davies, peter jones, gerald sinstadt, brian moore, etc.

here is a radio clip of the superb peter jones (an awesome authoritative voice who always reminds me of bygone bbc radio)

http://download.guardian.co.uk/sys-video/Media/video/2007/01/19/PeterJones.mpg

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2010, 12:26:33 AM »
forgot to mention the great tony gubba (and alan weeks)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2010, 12:31:09 AM »
agreed.

modern commentators do my head in.   e.g. clive tysdeley, john motson, jonathan pearce, john champion, etc, etc.  It's all endless spewing....often of data.

and it is often personal and casting aspersions.

oh for the days of barry davies, peter jones, gerald sinstadt, brian moore, etc.

here is a radio clip of the superb peter jones (an awesome authoritative voice who always reminds me of bygone bbc radio)

http://download.guardian.co.uk/sys-video/Media/video/2007/01/19/PeterJones.mpg

Radio 2, Wednesday evenings, listing to our European Cup games.

Peter Jones was the standard. You could see the game in front of you even though it was only a radio commentary.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
Radio 2, Wednesday evenings, listing to our European Cup games.

Peter Jones was the standard. You could see the game in front of you even though it was only a radio commentary.

agreed.

a couple of years ago, I used to have an mp3, some 15 or so minutes long....of peter jones commentary of the final mins of an anfield game....last game of the season when we won the league title.  i think we were playing astoin villa...maybe won 3 or 4 - one...iirc.  Awesome commentary.....a wordsmith....perfectly described the game and the celebrations.