October 22, 2020, 03:54:51 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 204253 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #360 on: December 07, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
Even if we do take a lead he still has us scampering back into our defensive shells too quickly.
Tes, I saw no evidence of that last night. Were we watching the same game?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 07, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »
ASI, I wasn't meaning specifically last night but in general, though listening to it on 5 live as I was trying to get the bath waste pipe unfrozen, it didn't sound as though we really took it to them in the second half as we did in the first.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 07, 2010, 06:41:02 PM »
ASI, I wasn't meaning specifically last night but in general, though listening to it on 5 live as I was trying to get the bath waste pipe unfrozen, it didn't sound as though we really took it to them in the second half as we did in the first.
Thanks for clarifying that Tes. I agree that there were times when Villa kept the ball and just passed it around their back four without crossing the half-way line. Probably explains why their possession was 50% in a game where they had one serious attack.

It was a seriously cold night as your post confirms and I'm sure that had a bearing on the game. What I saw last night was light years away from how we played a couple of months ago and although it was at home the performance at Spurs has me thinking that Roy's tactics are starting to kick in. The movement for Ngog's goal and Maxi's third were excellent and although Babel was technically offside he still had plenty of work to do to score.

To be honest I'm not bothered about the manager's position as I have no control over it. If we continue to improve and start winning away games as well as those at home then that will keep me happy and more importantly, the players will be happy. And happy players will play better than unhappy ones. See Chelsea for that!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 07, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
If we continue to improve and start winning away games as well as those at home then that will keep me happy and more importantly, the players will be happy. And happy players will play better than unhappy ones. See Chelsea for that!

And we seem to win when we play a more positive game (final third '08/'09 season). I think this is where the problems started from. Season '09/'10 it's back to the 'cautious' approach. Likewise this season, where we were more positive against Blackburn, better results (at least at home) followed and a more positive approach nearly paid dividends against Spurs. It needs to be continued away from home as well as at home and for 90 minutes.

If we don't like watching turgid tactics then how must the players feel having to play that way.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 07, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
Indeed Tes but to play that style of football requires a degree of confidence which has been lacking. It's the way Manure have played for years much as it pains me to say it and if we continue to play that style who knows how it will all end. Positively hopefully.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 07, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
Indeed Tes but to play that style of football requires a degree of confidence which has been lacking. It's the way Manure have played for years much as it pains me to say it and if we continue to play that style who knows how it will all end. Positively hopefully.

Confidence can come from belief in the way you're asked (or allowed) to play, likewise if you don't believe in the way you're being asked to play and results aren't being achieved that adds to the downward spiral of an erosion of confidence and further reinforcement of non-belief in the method.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 07, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
I forsee a lot more of the former and not much of the latter although we will still lose games when we are playing well and win some when we aren't. Such is football.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 07, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
although we will still lose games when we are playing well and win some when we aren't. Such is football.

That's an absolute given and I totally agree with you, ASI and it's what makes football the game we all love. I think managers sometimes, especially when they come into a club, try to fit the players into a certain pattern of play instead of playing a way that utilises the combined strengths and qualities of the available players. Both with Rafa and now Roy, we've seen pretty conclusively that playing a more positive style, going out with the winning intent, suits this group of players better (whether it's because of or depite the manager's instructions). They have the ability to do it.  The Hull game where we went 2-0 down early on, then actually start to play aggressive, positive football, getting back on level terms and totally dominating the game, is always the example I think of. Then half time comes and they came out for the second half and had obviously been reined in by Rafa, instead of being allowed to play the second half in the same way as they'd play the last 20 minutes of the first half. 

It's what we've said of Glenn Johnson. He would flourish in the same way as Gareth Bale has at Spurs. Rednapp has just used pure, simple common sense. Although it seems obvious, so often it doesn't happen.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 08, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
Tes, I vaugely remember that Hull game but clearly not as well as you. I suppose you can understand where managers come from because it's their head on the block when they get it wrong and if it goes well the players get the credit.

You wonder why so many decide management is a worthwhile career! Newcastle are there for the taking on Saturday so we should go out with a positive 4-4-2 and if Fernando wants a few more days at home with the missus and Leo then let him have it.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 08, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »
Tes, I vaugely remember that Hull game but clearly not as well as you. I suppose you can understand where managers come from because it's their head on the block when they get it wrong and if it goes well the players get the credit.

You wonder why so many decide management is a worthwhile career! Newcastle are there for the taking on Saturday so we should go out with a positive 4-4-2 and if Fernando wants a few more days at home with the missus and Leo then let him have it.

There's a definate inbalance between blame and praise and that's before the media have stirred the pot.

It's probably a good time to be playing Newcastle, even if they do get the new man installed in time. Pardew in, Hughton out. Defies logic.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 08, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
Mike Ashley is in the same bracket as Hicks and Gillette when it comes to running a football club

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 08, 2010, 10:21:54 PM »
Mike Ashley is in the same bracket as Hicks and Gillette when it comes to running a football club

Is it 'Mike Ashley' or is it just Freddie Shephard cunningly disguised? Have the two been seen in the same room together since 'Mike Ashley' took over?

Shephard actually came out today and congratulated Ashley for what he'd done - the evidence is mounting.

And Pardew is the replacement - case proven.

The hunt is on in all Sportsdirect buildings to find the real 'Mike Ashley'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »
I have always been mystified as to how Mike Ashley ever was a successful business man.

Their manager worked miracles, got them promotion at the first ime of asking, has them sitting nicely in mid-table on their fiurst season back in the top flight, and he gets the bullet.

Ashley cites the need for change and to bring in an experienced manager.  And they bring in Alan Pardew.  Friggen Alan Pardew. 

If I was ever mad enough to invest in football, Newcastle is the type of club I would take over.  They have a passionate fanbase, but sadly the club has nearly always been run badly.  There is so much potential up there in the north east.  But morons run the club.   Like, who in their right bluddy minds sacks Bobby Robson?  And for what - because Newcastle ONLY finished 5th.  Morons, absolute morons.  Shepherd and Ashley. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 11, 2010, 01:20:20 AM »
I have always been mystified as to how Mike Ashley ever was a successful business man.

Their manager worked miracles, got them promotion at the first ime of asking, has them sitting nicely in mid-table on their fiurst season back in the top flight, and he gets the bullet.

Ashley cites the need for change and to bring in an experienced manager.  And they bring in Alan Pardew.  Friggen Alan Pardew. 

If I was ever mad enough to invest in football, Newcastle is the type of club I would take over.  They have a passionate fanbase, but sadly the club has nearly always been run badly.  There is so much potential up there in the north east.  But morons run the club.   Like, who in their right bluddy minds sacks Bobby Robson?  And for what - because Newcastle ONLY finished 5th.  Morons, absolute morons.  Shepherd and Ashley.

Sheppard and Ashley could have been seperated at birth. They've sacked a manager who got them promoted at the first time of asking and had them sitting very comfortably mid-table, who the players all respected and played for to replace him with a manager who took Charlton down and probably would have made it two successive relegation seasons if he hadn't been sacked and was unable to repeat the feat the man he replaces was able to achieve, nearly did the same with West Ham and was sacked from Southampton in September.
4 clubs, the last 3 he's been sacked from. And why now? Why not say 'thanks for getting us promoted but we need a more experienced manager', back in May. Why suddenly decide now he's not experienced enough? He's more experienced now than he was in May or August when the season kicked off. There's much more experienced managers below him in the league.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 11, 2010, 05:52:04 PM »
grrrr, game not on live here.

perchance, anyone got a live tv channel link to the game?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.