October 22, 2020, 03:24:00 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 204234 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #390 on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
Roy has no plan B when plan A doesnt work.

4th is gone. I cant see us finding the consistency to catch the top teams.

Sack Roy now and give the new manager time to settle and a realistic chance of achieving something next year.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Good result indeed tho it has to be said te quality of the game was quite poor to be honest. We continue to be disorganised defensively, something a better team than Villa would've punished us for.

Skrtel was shockingly poor, or maybe just playing to his true leve. He continued to make unforced errors throughout the game.

Also though Kuijt had a poor game where his first touch let him down continously.

Lucas, on the other hand, actually had one of his better games in a red shirt. A reason for this may have been the awayteam's non-existant center midfield.

Ngog took his goal well and set Maxi up nicely for our 3rd. Other than that he' very often a very slow and inconsisten performer.

Babel probably need  few starts before he can be fairly judged. Took his goal very nicely tho. His decisionmaking isn't his strongest aspect of his game tho.

All in all this win could set us up nicely for a very good run that could see our season get back on track. Take a look at the upcoming 9 games.

Newcy (a)
Fulham (h)
Blackpool (a)
Wolves (h)
Bolton (h)
Blackburn (a)
Everton (h)
Wolves (a)
Stoke (h)

That's 27 points at stake. I'm gonna stick my neck out and claim at least 23 of them are possible if not likely. If we dmanag to go on such a patch we'll be in the run for 4th with a shout going into the last 3rd of the season. For instance, Spurs ain't that good on the road. During their upcoming 9 games they'll play away from WHL 5 times and 4 times at home of which 2 of those homegames are against Chelsea and ManU. City too have 5 awaygames in their upcoming 9 games altho a slightly easier schedule than spurs.

I for one haven't given up on 4th just yet (which I had by this time last year despite "guarantees" we'd ge it).

Well we were atrocious tonight!!!!

Anyway else notice we only had good penetrative attacking movements when we were losing?

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
I've just watched the highlights on MoTD. Their 1st goal was offside. Our equaliser was fortunate. For their second our defence was all at sea and no-one closed Carroll down for the 3rd. Given the events of the week they were clearly pumped up. Probably the worst time to play them.

So what would our experts suggest for a plan B? The personnel were the same as Monday. Football is a simple game. What different tactics do you need away from home? Don't you just keep possession, pass and move?

Torres's form is abysmal. I'd play him in the Thursday Europa game and if he doesn't score drop him for the Fulham game. He needs to learn he needs to pick up his game. The good chance he has at 1-1 should have been chipped over the keeper. He's way out of sorts. I blame the players today, not Roy despite the statistics.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 12, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »
So what would our experts suggest for a plan B?

sack Roy and bring in a top manager.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »
I think Newcy is a s*** team and Pardew is a pathetic looser. They have like 2 chances and score 3. It's been like that for much of the season and it's frustrating we can't capitalise on being the better team. But with a s*** defence like this what can you expect really? Skrtel's been so f***ing poor the last 4-5 games it's f***ing hard to believe. Lucas is so worthless I just hope he breaks a leg so that I don't have to watch him play. He's just so worthless. Torres can start scoring sitters before sulking like a spoilt child.

All in all a good perfomance in periods. Newcy were extremly fortunate to win this one. I can see them go down again.

Ngog LFCMOTM (never thought I'd say it)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2010, 10:21:22 AM »
I think Newcy is a s*** team and Pardew is a pathetic looser. They have like 2 chances and score 3. It's been like that for much of the season and it's frustrating we can't capitalise on being the better team. But with a s*** defence like this what can you expect really? Skrtel's been so f***ing poor the last 4-5 games it's f***ing hard to believe. Lucas is so worthless I just hope he breaks a leg so that I don't have to watch him play. He's just so worthless. Torres can start scoring sitters before sulking like a spoilt child.

All in all a good perfomance in periods. Newcy were extremly fortunate to win this one. I can see them go down again.

Ngog LFCMOTM (never thought I'd say it)

Lucas has been quality this season as a central midfielder. True as a DM he is crap, but in that CM role I believe he has been really effective for us and has struck a really good partnership with Meireles. I would hate for Gerrard to break that up.

The defense does need work  we definitely do need another centre back and another left back.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »
The defense does need work  we definitely do need another centre back and another left back.
I'd put Kelly in at CB partnering Soto. Give Skrtel a rest and hint to him his place is not guaranteed. Sometimes players need a reminder there are alternatives. Same goes for Torres.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
Lucas has been quality this season as a central midfielder. True as a DM he is crap, but in that CM role I believe he has been really effective for us and has struck a really good partnership with Meireles. I would hate for Gerrard to break that up.

hi edward!  Good to see that I am not alone.   :D
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 12, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
Lucas or Gerrard? ;D ;D Not even in the same league. Maybe fans are now moving around to Woys Fulhams mentality, Ship out class and ship in rubbish

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 12, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
 :D

in Moreless, it's good to see that we finally have a decent corner taker.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 12, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »
Lucas or Gerrard? ;D ;D Not even in the same league. Maybe fans are now moving around to Woys Fulhams mentality, Ship out class and ship in rubbish

Gerrard is an average central midfielder. He has no tactical discipline. Play him at the RM or AM position and he is world class.

Lucas offers more to us in the central midfield role than Gerrard that is for sure.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 12, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
I've heard it all now. Lucas who is normally a 5/6 out of ten man and occaisionally a 7 (once or twice a season) and versus a club legend. Why dont we just bring back the mighty Igor.  No wonder we're so shed if fans crave mediocre players

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Lucas is normally a 7/10 man occasionally 8. Gerrard in central midfield is often 5/6 out of 10. As an AM he is often 8 or 9.

So what if Gerrard is a club legend. We are talking about performances in a specific role in our team this season and the partnership of Lucas and Meireles is better than anything Gerrard can provide from that position.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 12, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
over the years, whether with england or liverpool, I have often wondered (out loud) if captain marvel was playing.

I honestly didn't know if he was on the pitch (he was THAT anonymous).

as you say edward, play him on the right (and benefit the team).  It would also help negate his tactical indiscipline. 

PS - He also is sh.ite at corners and freekicks.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 12, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
Meirles is starting to look a great buy and Woy got something right there which is a first. But we're obviously watching a different team and a different player if you think Lucas is a 7 or 8. He's a rotation player at best. If we've got any ambitions of champions league football Lucas isnt the answer.