September 26, 2020, 10:12:21 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 199897 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
Lucas or Alonso? Lucas or Mascherano? Even Lucas or Igor Biscan? Couldnt answer the last one its too close to call.

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2010, 06:26:12 PM »
Good result indeed tho it has to be said te quality of the game was quite poor to be honest. We continue to be disorganised defensively, something a better team than Villa would've punished us for.

Skrtel was shockingly poor, or maybe just playing to his true leve. He continued to make unforced errors throughout the game.

Also though Kuijt had a poor game where his first touch let him down continously.

Lucas, on the other hand, actually had one of his better games in a red shirt. A reason for this may have been the awayteam's non-existant center midfield.

Ngog took his goal well and set Maxi up nicely for our 3rd. Other than that he' very often a very slow and inconsisten performer.

Babel probably need  few starts before he can be fairly judged. Took his goal very nicely tho. His decisionmaking isn't his strongest aspect of his game tho.

All in all this win could set us up nicely for a very good run that could see our season get back on track. Take a look at the upcoming 9 games.

Newcy (a)
Fulham (h)
Blackpool (a)
Wolves (h)
Bolton (h)
Blackburn (a)
Everton (h)
Wolves (a)
Stoke (h)

That's 27 points at stake. I'm gonna stick my neck out and claim at least 23 of them are possible if not likely.

With Roys appalling away record of 16 wins in 35 years of football management I wouldn't stick my neck out so far, I reckon going on current form we'll lose just about every away match, possibly draw 1 or 2 but I wouldn't bet on it, so I'm going to say that IF we can win all the home matches I reckon we're good for between 15 and 18 points MAX.

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 12, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
With Roys appalling away record of 16 wins in 35 years of football management I wouldn't stick my neck out so far, I reckon going on current form we'll lose just about every away match, possibly draw 1 or 2 but I wouldn't bet on it, so I'm going to say that IF we can win all the home matches I reckon we're good for between 15 and 18 points MAX.

Completely agree. Whether its woys fault or the squad i'm not sure. But we're definately missing Mascherano more than i would like to admit especially in away games. we're far to open when teams attack us on the counter. Moses and the RED sea springs to mind

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 12, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »
Lets take stock and see how things are looking. Yup as expected no champions league football for us next year. Since we went on that mini revival the gap between us and the other teams fighting for fourth seems to have extended. Were we not only 5 points off 4th with 10 games played? I think we have found our level, 9th could be as good as it gets.

Played   Points
1 Arsenal       16         32
2 Man City     17         32
3 Man Utd      15         31
4 Chelsea      17         31
5 Spurs          17         27
6 Bolton         17         26
7 Sunderland 17         24
8 Newcastle   17         22
9 Liverpool     17         22

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
taxi for roy
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »
This year is the closest the premier league has ever been but would anyone else agree that the standard of the top teams has deteriorated dramatically.

Teams like Bolton have improved dramatically and anybody can beat anybody but I think its just a case of yes some of the so called smaller teams have got better but nearly all of the so called top teams have got worse. Chelsea looked invincible 7 or 8 games ago but at the moment any team in the league would be confident of taking their scalp. United won again tonight and are unbeaten but they look a pale shadow of any of the top United teams of the past. Our demise has been dramatic but I also feel that the standard of football being played is terrible. Arsenal at times are great to watch but they dont seem to be able to reproduce those Barcelonaesque performances when it matters most. 

My worry is that even though the premier league is so frequently referred to as the best league in the world the fact of the matter is that its not and summer by summer we are seeing the worlds top players leaving for Spain. Tevez is next, I think Torres will go too.

I would like to see more Premier League teams start to play football like it should be played but for us that will never happen under Roy. I would be worried that the PL is in decline and if we arent careful leagues such as Italy and Germany may just take the PL's place.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 14, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
My worry is that even though the premier league is so frequently referred to as the best league in the world the fact of the matter is that its not and summer by summer we are seeing the worlds top players leaving for Spain. Tevez is next, I think Torres will go too.

It's hyped up by Sky and the Murdoch media in order to attract the sale of Sky dishes. It's never been the best league in the World. Tactically the Italian league has always been stronger and technically the Spanish League is a massive improvement. There are too many teams in this country that play negative football and technical ability is always secondary to strength, passion, commitment, all round physical prowess etc when it comes to coaching at all levels. Too much machismo driven tabloid style football, where sophistication and technique are dirty words. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
I disagree. I think the Premier League was the best in the world 3/4 years ago. The Italian league is boring and hasnt been a top league for a long time. The Spanish league is always strong and for a couple of seasons has been the best. I  see this being the case for the next 5 years or at least until we change our 50% tax laws.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
england and spain are the two finest leagues (germany and france come next, in the distance).  ANd Italy, like kopite says, is boring. 

Juan, despite much abuse from others, I have always maintained that modern teams could not hold a candle to teams of the 70s or 80s.  Fitness technology aside, is the only thing modern teams are more advanced on. 

this season, I think there is more competition due to possibly a slowdown in major spending by the bigger teams, and better squads among the lesser teams.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
Did any body see the LFC TV show with John Henry and the new chairman last night? if you didnt try and find the footage somewhere. Its definately worth a watch. They talk about Roy and transfers aswell as stadium issues. There was a couple of irrate pool fans calling for the head of Woy.

They also had a poll going, Liverpool team of the 80's vs Barca 2010 team? Didnt see what the result was though

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 14, 2010, 02:02:58 PM »
They also had a poll going, Liverpool team of the 80's vs Barca 2010 team? Didnt see what the result was though

The Liverpool of the 80's would murder the Barca team of today...

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
Top link, kopite....

thought ian ayre, tom and john henry came over well...
john henry looks slightly odd...but thats due to the glasses...his eyes would be considerably bigger without...

john henry and tom will listen...and if roy doesn't improve he's gone as is comolli...i think they're bizness men...if people don't produce...then they're gone...

they ain't spending silly money in january...they're building for the financial fair play rules...which is a good thing...the man citeh design is dead in the water soon anyways...

p.s. what's all this mantra business??? i know the old magick crowley stuff which works...but unless they have a few shaman chucking magickal words around on the pitch it's a very odd usage...

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 14, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »
The Liverpool of the 80's would murder the Barca team of today...

If it was played now we'd have 2/3 sent off by half time!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
If it was played now we'd have 2/3 sent off by half time!!!

:D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.