November 27, 2020, 11:11:26 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 209789 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
Barticus, your analysis is dangerous to this club. If you're so deluded you think our problems start and stop with Roy you're seriously mistaken.

Not every single ill at the club is down to Roy, but we can't change the past, only the present and future.

We need need strong leadership and a clear direction in footballing terms, from top to bottom. An ethos that everyone buys into, understands and follows to the letter. This, however, will take time, but the first stage is to get some leadership of the first team. Someone the players can and should believe in. Then we can judge who is still going through the motions and simply furnishing their bank account at the fans' and club's expense.

The players need to stand up and take their share of the blame but it's got to be near impossible to be inspired or even want any association with Hodgson and his methods. If we as fans are straining at the leash to have him physically ejected from the club, what must the players be going through, having to work to his 'methods', go through the purgatory that must be every moment they have to spend in his presence?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 30, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »

Barticus, your analysis is dangerous to this club. If you're so deluded you think our problems start and stop with Roy you're seriously mistaken.

Greetings Martinmarx, deluded calling....

Obviously i don't blame Roy for all the problems at the club, which i pointed out earlier in the message i think? But most of them ...yup, that's me...3 months ago on the roy hodgson thread i said Roy had till xmas to prove himself...he's done that all right...get rid...

The following are other helpful reasons to why i have given him till xmas and seen that this can't continue...

1. He's a manager who has won nowt in his long history of football management..

2. When one of the most loyal players of LFC aka Reina has his doubts, this after backing the club to the hilt and signing a new 5/6 year contract...

3. When the rest of the players (mostly internationals) look at you and think 'dead god, i know rafa had his foibles but at least he changed things on the pitch (best substitute use for example) and didn't start rubbing his head and start praying to whichever god for divine intervention'

4. When those players aren't playing with any passion cos they're certainly not getting it from management...(the reason see next point)...

5. To be utterly defeatist...

6. When you mirror one of rafa's main faults, and have your favourites (who aren't even as good as Kuyt and lucas)...

7. When you turn on every player, babel, pacheco, torres, maxi, cole (who he'd never have signed of course - being played in the right position might help) and have no real loyalty to anyone other than Woy oh and Fergie and his red wine...

8. Fergie and his cosy red wine chat...

9. By not putting players in their correct position to the benefit of the team but to the benefit of the 100+ a week ego's...Gerrard and Cole want to play in a central position in midfield - lol! can u imagine???...maybe we should put Gerrard in control and we can all follow Newcastle's lead...

10. Managing the team, you know Roy, playing to your strengths and not what the tabloids and broadsheets tell you how you should be playing...

11. Oh and to cap it all, you turn on the fans who have every entitlement to boo the team and Roy after letting WOLVES and before that NEWCASTLE, STOKE, EVERTON, BLACKPOOL and 80% of the top 5 beat us....(though booing Roy bought players is out of order - though i think more of a message to Roy than anything else)

p.s. oh and as for the 'don't change the manager midterm cos that's not our way'...if Spurs didn't 2 years ago and left juan de ramos with his 1 point after 10 games, then...well now look at them...

If though martinmarx you're happy with mediocrity...well let's all jump on 'follow Roy into oblivion' and we'll all enjoy playing Brighton next season...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 30, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »
In relation to last nights performance we made life difficult for ourselves before the game ever kicked off. That line up was inventive for all the wrong reasons. Kuyt on the left, Meireles on the right were shocking decisions to make.

After that the players were inept, the tactical know how of the manager was non existent and basically we look like a team without unity, drive or interest to play for the manager.

If there wasnt a penny to be spent in January I think it would be still possible to breath life in to this Liverpool team. I'd start by recalling Insua back from Gala. Play him in a back four of Kelly, Kyriakos, Agger, Insua. Four across mid field with Maxi on the left Johnson on the right Lucas and Meireles in the middle and Gerrard Torres up front. Cant do any worse than what we witnessed last night.

Offline thisisanfield

• Just starting out
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 30, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »
Even those of us who were willing to give Roy time have had enough. There were many problems I was hoping "Roys arm round the shoulder approach" would bring on the likes of Ryan Babbel, players with talent that may have been missed by Rafa's attuitude towards them. But that has not happened at all, I am wondering how we were led to believe Roy was that kind of manager in the first place.
The club is now at a very important place for its future and we need to get a top manager .. as Tes rightly put it..

We need need strong leadership and a clear direction in footballing terms, from top to bottom. An ethos that everyone buys into, understands and follows to the letter. This, however, will take time, but the first stage is to get some leadership of the first team. Someone the players can and should believe in. Then we can judge who is still going through the motions and simply furnishing their bank account at the fans' and club's expense

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #439 on: December 31, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
If I was torres I'd be sulking to. Every ball that goes anywhere near him is closer to his head than his feet. We're a long ball team and that's down to one man. I agree Torres could show a lot more heart but tbh these poor tactics have gone on game after game after game. It's quite obvious woy has no support from most fans and now the players. It seems like a very easy decision needs to be made very soon b4 fans start to desert the club. Kenny to steady the ship until a new man can be appointed in the summer

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »
Jan 1st, 2011

Liverpool 0 Bolton 1, half-time

looks like bolton are applying the coup de tat, to Roy's time at anfield.

I think the owners will not be able to employ him any longer.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 01, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
final score 2-1

unimpressive stuff.

end to end chances at the end......we got lucky.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 01, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
The owners need to do to Roy what they'd do to their sick pet - put him out of our misery.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 01, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »
final score 2-1

unimpressive stuff.

end to end chances at the end......we got lucky.

We have been transformed into a mid table team. As fans we arent sure whether we will win draw or lose.  Today we looked no different. Roy confuses a bit of effort with a quality performance.

Today he hailed the performance as being top quality. It was far from it. The players were pumped up, ran around more but the quality Roy describes was no where to be seen. Nobody could tell which way the game was going to go.

I cant wait for FSG to find Roys replacement because until they do the rollercoaster will continue.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 01, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
I've been thinking about the manager situation today. Whilst I would like Roy to disappear asap the long-term interests of the club have to be considered. If we assume for argument's sake we won't make the CL next season but could make the EL instead then it might be best to stick with him. That way, come the summer we can go for a greater number of candidates than are currently available. I believe only Frank Rijart (sp) is currently available and he may not be the best choice.

Come the summer we can take our pick from 3-4 managers and with no WC or EC tournaments there will be plenty of time to negotiate. The chap from Porto might convince and inspire our top players to stick around.

I know I'm back-tracking on my earlier decision but getting the right man in is essential and asking anyone including Kenny or Rafa to look after things until the end of season is undesirable for many reasons.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 01, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »
I know I'm back-tracking on my earlier decision but getting the right man in is essential and asking anyone including Kenny or Rafa to look after things until the end of season is undesirable for many reasons.

ASI, that's exactly how I feel. Get rid now is the obvious answer, but then brings a further problem of what to do next as the long term answer I doubt is available at this stage of the season.
Keeping Roy brings with it the danger of no European football at all.

What initially seems like the right move could turn into a regrettable one pretty quickly.   

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 01, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
ASI, that's exactly how I feel. Get rid now is the obvious answer, but then brings a further problem of what to do next as the long term answer I doubt is available at this stage of the season.
Keeping Roy brings with it the danger of no European football at all.

What initially seems like the right move could turn into a regrettable one pretty quickly.   

Tes, come May we'll look at how things panned out and if we secure European football and then get our top choice manager we will probably agree the owners did the right thing. But if we were not to secure European footie or horror of horrors, get relegated we'll curse them for not being decisive back in January.

Who would want to be an owener eh?  :o
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 02, 2011, 12:09:41 AM »
Who would want to be an owener eh?  :o

The appointment of Roy in the Summer has made their initial months of ownership tougher than it might have been. As fans it's even tougher. We can't just sell up (even at a loss) and move on. Who'd be a fan?  :D

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 02, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
The appointment of Roy in the Summer has made their initial months of ownership tougher than it might have been. As fans it's even tougher. We can't just sell up (even at a loss) and move on. Who'd be a fan?  :D
Once a fan of a club, always a fan of that club. Unlike owners we don't walk away. It's a lifetime marriage. Divorce isn't an option. No control over events. Just shell out your money and hope for a good result.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
Blackburn 2 Liverpool 0 after 40mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!