August 10, 2020, 08:58:55 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 192992 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2011, 10:54:34 PM »
Our squad isn't as bad as some make out. Agger is a proven defender and should have played from the start. Soto was always there as backup - not as a first choice defender. The way Kelly has been ignored is criminal. So many of us have said play him at RB and move Johnson to RW but it just fals on deaf ears. Can Hodgson be so tactically inept he's never even considered it?

We had a decent pairing of Babel and Ngog against WHU and they should have been tried tonight giving Torres a rest for Sunday.

Whilst the goals were down to individual errors the whole make up and tactics of the side is poor. How in God's name can Blackburn's temporary coach (not manager) work out a system to beat us as we don't have a manager with the nouse to work out how to beat them.

I honestly don't think Hodgson plans for any teams he plays against. He has the same philosophy irrespective of who we play. That's why he's absolutely hopeless and should get the sack in the afternoon. It would be the morning but for the time difference with Boston.
Cheers,
Ray

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »
I have given up watching games. I had to get up at 4 am this morning to watch another shed performance.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
We have officially reached mid table mediocrity . Time for the owners to act

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 06, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »
Our squad isn't as bad as some make out.

Whilst the goals were down to individual errors the whole make up and tactics of the side is poor. How in God's name can Blackburn's temporary coach (not manager) work out a system to beat us as we don't have a manager with the nouse to work out how to beat them.

I honestly don't think Hodgson plans for any teams he plays against. He has the same philosophy irrespective of who we play.

exactly, asi.

all this talk from some quarters (and I heard hansen at it last night too - puppet that he is) about liverpool's squad needing massive change, is rubbish.

we have lots of great players.  yes, we do need two good fullbacks. 

the problem as you say, is the manager.  And roy has been blaming everyone but himself for these calamitous performances.

roy deserves an oscar, for his interviews on the road.  He does this surprised act, after games, re how bad we were.  How can Roy be surprised by this point.  He is 63 years old, and has had an entire career of being rubbish away from home.  Why the surprise roy, that this woeful record continued when you came to liverpool.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2011, 01:08:19 PM »
exactly, asi.

all this talk from some quarters (and I heard hansen at it last night too - puppet that he is) about liverpool's squad needing massive change, is rubbish.

we have lots of great players.  yes, we do need two good fullbacks. 

the problem as you say, is the manager.  And roy has been blaming everyone but himself for these calamitous performances.

roy deserves an oscar, for his interviews on the road.  He does this surprised act, after games, re how bad we were.  How can Roy be surprised by this point.  He is 63 years old, and has had an entire career of being rubbish away from home.  Why the surprise roy, that this woeful record continued when you came to liverpool.

It just goes to show how the media and their minions are living in another world to the fans and anyone vaguely intelligent...we gave Roy his chance, he didn't produce...he's awful let's be honest...
But when you see Hansen, Barnes, Keegan and Mcmanaman (http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6638144,00.html) those incredible players but no mark would be managers, spouting on about what they would do...all Souness's mark 2...never doing it and never proving it...

Our squad is good enough and a good manager would get the best out of them...

You only have to look at another squad, at the Istanbul final and the teams of both Liverpool and AC Milan, remember when the media had written us off beforehand? they were drooling over the Milan side, the LFC team no doubt deeply ridiculed by 90% of the press, became champions of Europe...

That comes down to the manager, there was some luck as there always should be in football...there was still some dodgy substitutions (only bringing hamann in the 2nd half - but would he have lasted the whole game and extra time...is that luck or judgement?)...
but there's also a belief that comes from someone who 3-0 down sends Traore and Biscan out...and wins...

i know i was critical of rafa...but in reflection i am saul on the road to damascus...

Rafa for at least 6 months...he's won it all and that's by judgement and not luck...

P.s. Maybe the surprise at an away defeat has been practiced so many times by Roy over the last 40 years, that even he has become convinced by the reaction? It certainly seems to have convinced certain football teams to hire him....

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Oh and let's not forget that Blackburn had 8 first team players missing...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
Our squad is good enough and a good manager would get the best out of them...

i know i was critical of rafa...but in reflection i am saul on the road to damascus...

:)

good to have a convert. 

yes, and like you say, blackburn had 8 of their first team unavailable last night.

a good man makes players, and teams, excel.  He gets the best out of them.  That was what rafa did.  Look for example at top class lads like Kuyt.  Under Roy, they look like a shadow of the players they were under Rafa. 

thanks for that link, BTW  Here are the quotes.

Keegan, Barnes and McManaman are adamant the 63-year-old still has time to turn it round, starting with Sunday's FA Cup third-round tie at Manchester United.

Keegan said: "In one word, yes, of course he can.The opportunity comes at Manchester United to get back on track. It's a tough one. Liverpool are a big club, big expectation, underperformed over a number of years - way before Roy Hodgson went in there. The decline at Liverpool has not just happened in the past three to six months. It's been going on for a period of time. They've got to give him time but it's the one thing you don't get, as we all know. The clock ticks on the wall and managers don't get time. They thought he was right four months ago and he did a great job at Fulham, so they've got to back him. They chose him - they've got to back him.  If you go back to when Sir Alex Ferguson took over at Man United, he had a tough start. He wasn't in too dissimilar a situation.""

Barnes added: "You know what football's like. It's results driven and pick up some results and the tide changes. As much as Liverpool aren't doing well now, if they put some results together, beat Manchester United in the FA Cup, hopefully, and then do well, things change.  But in football, generally speaking, if you lose, you're going to be under pressure, particularly at a big club. We know that things haven't gone particularly well and there may be people who are against Roy. All of the Liverpool fans that may be against Roy now, I'm sure that if they start winning matches, they will support him - because they love their club. That's what football fans want. They want success for their club."

McManaman said: "The Chelsea manager, who did the double last year, he's under pressure. They're talking about him getting the sack this morning. Beat Man United, win the next league game, beat Everton, and everything's rosy again. Lose, lose, and lose and he'll struggle again. I believe that all managers should be give support and I think that the biggest testament to that is Manchester United. They haven't been playing well but they have a manager who everybody respects, everybody supports.""

The trio all agreed Hodgson should be backed by his bosses.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
see, this is the problem of modern football punditry/journalism.  It is biased, due to there being no independent journalistic analysis.

those within the industry, tend to look after one of their own. 

and I am sure Barnes is a big fan of being given loads of time to turn things around - given  the short shrift clubs have given him, once they realised how inept he was.

the whole thing at anfield goes back to the sacking of rafa and appointment of roy.  It was an awful piece of business.  The recruitment/selection procedure was a mess.  Didn't anyone care to look at Roy's CV, and not only the lack of success on it, but also the dire away from home stats.

I know you'd like Rafa back as caretaker, barticus.  I think tho that our owners don't want him or kenny in the position.  And if they do not want either there permanently, I can understand why.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:16:18 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »
I know you'd like Rafa back as caretaker, barticus.  I think tho that our owners don't want him or kenny in the position.  And if they do not want either there permanently, I can understand why.

Well whatever they decide, they need to get their ass into gear!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Well whatever they decide, they need to get their ass into gear!

they need to make the right decision.

something which may well be beyond them (seeing as they are working without the necessary expertise within the board).

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
Average performance apart from minutes 10 through 20. Torres is a disgrace and should be sold promptly. He contributes nothing and sulk like the spoilt child he is. If footy was about walking he'd be the best footballer in all times. I'd take whatever money I could get from him and spend it on two hungry and motivated players. His first two seasons with us wasn't his real level, this is and it is similar to what he displayed at AM.

Lucas agains offers nothing. He's been played regurarly for over two seasons but just can't step forward and help the team when Gerrard was sent off. Totally worthless player.

Webb tho handed ManU the game on a silverplate with his pathetic refereeing. How weak can a ref be allowed to be?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
You cannot find any positives from that game today? I seriously doubt you are a LFC fan. Kelly played really well as did most of the team once we were down to 10 men for an hour. I see a lot to cheer me after that performance and I think Johnson has a real battle to get his RB position back.

But you chose to ignore all that and just continue your negative rant.  ???
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
great to see agger in the team.

classy player.

i hope he stays injury free, and gets a long run in the team.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
i hope he stays injury free, and gets a long run in the team....

....and stay's on his feet  ;D
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »
....and stay's on his feet  ;D

LOL    true!

:D