August 13, 2020, 05:51:39 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193595 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »
Lucas agains offers nothing. He's been played regurarly for over two seasons but just can't step forward and help the team when Gerrard was sent off. Totally worthless player.

I guess it depends on the instructions he's playing under from the manager. Players like Lucas are extremely professional and  disciplined. They will carry out the manager's instructions to the letter whether that makes them a stand out performer or one that blends into the background.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »
I guess it depends on the instructions he's playing under from the manager. Players like Lucas are extremely professional and  disciplined. They will carry out the manager's instructions to the letter whether that makes them a stand out performer or one that blends into the background.

I think that's a fair point, at the same time you'd be forgiven for thinking modern footballers are robots in spe, totally unable to make independent decisions. Even in the role you describe him he's not good enough. Surely you'd agree he'll have to offer the club anything to merit wearing the red shirt on a regular basis.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
I think that's a fair point, at the same time you'd be forgiven for thinking modern footballers are robots in spe, totally unable to make independent decisions. Even in the role you describe him he's not good enough. Surely you'd agree he'll have to offer the club anything to merit wearing the red shirt on a regular basis.

Agree Martin. The ability of modern players to 'read the game' and therefore make the correct decision accordingly is depressingly limited. They either follow instructions or, like Babel, seem have eneither the ability to follow instructions or think for themselves.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »
I'm sorry but Lucas is not a first team Liverpool player you can rely on week in week out. Yes he offers a good game now and then, but he should be someone who's rotated not starting every week. 

And Martin Kelly is a little gem. Future Liverpool captain in my opinion. Very rarely let's you down.

And on Torres where do u start. Someone who's got it in him somewhere but just not showing it enough. At times I thought I was watching a kid in the under 9's that was told he's playing in defence rather that a striker! I love the guy but just don't understand what's wrong with him

But overall It wasn't a bad performance. I Thought at least most of the players showed a lot of spirit. I'm just hoping kenny is allowed to do     some tinkering this month. Kennys  definately the man we need at moment and he's galvanised the fans already. The atmosphere was electric     maybe too much at one point when red seats came flying over my head!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »
Forgot to say.for the Blackpool game midweek I'd stick jonjo in the middle to start. Risky but I think he'll rise to it

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:09 AM »

Lucas for me makes too many sideward / backward passes.

I think under Kenny you will see the midfielders attempt to pass forward alot more and with a greater tempo.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2011, 12:09:49 AM »
Forgot to say.for the Blackpool game midweek I'd stick jonjo in the middle to start. Risky but I think he'll rise to it

Bold call, I cant see him starting yet but hes definitely showing ability. And even though his attempt at lobbing Kuszack showed thats hes still got alot to learn at least he wasnt afraid to attempt such a bold effort in the likes of Old Trafford. Lessor players would just shy away.

I hope Kenny can bring the best out of Pacheco.

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #487 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:57 AM »

And Martin Kelly is a little gem. Future Liverpool captain in my opinion. Very rarely let's you down.

Yes its great to see a new product of the LFC academy coming through. I also agree with the captain thing but Reina will probably keep it when Gerrard and Carra retire.

PhilLFC

« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
anyone let me know what the debt on the club is ..many thanks

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 10, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
I think its about 60 million. The new owners took it on when they bought the club
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:10:13 PM by Kopite999 »

PhilLFC

« Reply #490 on: January 10, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
I think its about 60 million. The new owners took it on when they bought the club
ok thanks...thought it was 2.2 mil...

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »
Debt servicing is about 2 - 3 million a year now compared to 25-30 million under the cowboys

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
Agree with most of what Kopite said regarding Kelly, O.T. in front of 76,000 fans, he has my respect....Johnson could learn a thing or two from him.

I thought that the lads put in a good shift but were ultimately hampered by being down to ten.

TBH I didn't have much of a problem with Lucas yesterday, thought he worked his socks off and covered a serious amount of ground (anyone got stats?). I know we'd all like to see him be a bit more creative but I was blown away by the unfussy way he goes about doing the dirty work for the side.

Shelvey, would like to see more of him....needs to do the basics first (win back and keep possession), heroics later!

Babel, no comment....

I think Kenny is a good short-term appointment and as long as we keep expectations in check, it may even be fun to be a fan for a while (how strange is that!!!).

jcred85

« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Judging by his performance at OT Kelly is pushing for a regular slot at right back. Johnson has bee far from his best and if he still wants out Kenny could sacrifice him to bring in some cash to spend elsewhere

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
Kellys got to start against Blackpool. If he's dropped after a performance like yesterday then I think it sends out the wrong signals.I reckon kenny might be the one that finally moves Glen to the right wing.not permanently just until the end of the season when we can strengthen.