August 14, 2020, 12:14:21 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193747 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
Roy has no reason to laugh, his 6 month tenure is partly one of the reasons we are in this situation.

Shocking second half performance. On tonights second half performance we alomost need a whole new 11.

I'm not joking when I say out of the 11 that started tonight I would keep Torres, Reina and Kelly. The rest arent fit to wear the jersey.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
Blackpool have done the double over us!!! They're saying on the radio we didn't even have the appetite to push for an equaliser. Time to dig deep John and give the king some cash to buy some real quality.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 12, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
defence-wise - konchesky has to go.  johnston is also a rubbish defender.  I'd give him one last chance, on the right side of midfield.  If he was useless there too, sell him in the summer.

my goal is 40 points.  We need to win our home games - otherwise, we are going to be fighting a relegation battle very soon.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
I actually thought we were very unlucky on the night, altho that is no excuse at all for our total collapse after they scored their second. Up til then I was pretty sure we'd win it. Blackpool were extremly lucky to get away with three points tonite. But then again, the ref really had it against us. They fell over and instantly won a free-kick, while 2-3 players were hanging around NGog's neck towards the end and he got nothing. No wonder we didn't get a peno in the dying seconds of first half when Adam clearly handballed on his own goalline.

All in all, I thought we played well for about 65 minutes. Lucas in particular I didn't recognise. Active, mobile, straightforward passing, wanted the ball. Well, about everything he never displayed before he pulled off tonite. Also thought Jovanovic was a clear improvement on Maxi. Especially so if you take into account this was his first PL start for exactly 4 months. Great goal by Torres but he really doesn't have it in him anymore. His ability to explode I mean.

Last 20 we sucked tho and it's worrying that we're giving up so easily. Defeat to Everton and a couple of draws against Wolves and Fulham and we've put ourselves in a tricky spot.

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:32 PM »
Well we've changed the manager and we're still rubbish. Where do we go from here? All the more disappointing when you consider we were 1-0 up inside 3 minutes. Grgghhhh!

We need two new centre backs and a left back.

Agreed re Johnson Dude, try him in midfield or sell him, he is rubbish in defense.

I could forgive Jovanovic, Poulsen or Agger for being rubbish, they havent played much football this season. I'm more disappointed by Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Kuyt, Meireles.

John Tom Damien and Kenny might want to start talking about some panic buys because if we keep this form up we could be dragged into a relegation fight.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 12, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
I actually thought we were very unlucky on the night, altho that is no excuse at all for our total collapse after they scored their second. Up til then I was pretty sure we'd win it. Blackpool were extremly lucky to get away with three points tonite. But then again, the ref really had it against us. They fell over and instantly won a free-kick, while 2-3 players were hanging around NGog's neck towards the end and he got nothing. No wonder we didn't get a peno in the dying seconds of first half when Adam clearly handballed on his own goalline.

All in all, I thought we played well for about 65 minutes. Lucas in particular I didn't recognise. Active, mobile, straightforward passing, wanted the ball. Well, about everything he never displayed before he pulled off tonite. Also thought Jovanovic was a clear improvement on Maxi. Especially so if you take into account this was his first PL start for exactly 4 months. Great goal by Torres but he really doesn't have it in him anymore. His ability to explode I mean.

Last 20 we sucked tho and it's worrying that we're giving up so easily. Defeat to Everton and a couple of draws against Wolves and Fulham and we've put ourselves in a tricky spot.

Were we watching the same game Martin? First half I thought we played well. Second half we got destroyed and we were lucky to come out of there 2 down. Blackpool totally deserved the win.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:01 PM »
Also thought Jovanovic was a clear improvement on Maxi.

let's agree to disagree, martin.  I thought Jovanovic was awful.  He looked entirely our of condititon.  Maxi is a good little player. 

I thought, like Juan, that we were awful second half.  Indeed, entire game, we were nopthing to write home about.  No quality at all was on display.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 12, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
MartinMarx and I must have been watching different games. I thought we were pretty awful. For those that criticised Carragher consider how bad our defence has been since his injury. We've not had one clean sheet in PL games since he was injured.

Agree with Juan that Johnson should be tried at RW. Aurelio is needed at LB.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »
Trying to take positives from tonights game maybe losing away to Blackpool wont turn out to be all that bad.

Maybe it will make people be more realistic about size of the task Kenny has on his hands and wont expect him to come in and work miracles straight off.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 12, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »
Anyone know if John Henry was at the game tonight? I heard he was flying in today. Although he knows very little about football, he's a very clever guy. Surely he knows we need strengthening. I keep hearing January's not the time to make additions but I don't think we've got a choice. There's got to be players available that are better than some of our current lot

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 12, 2011, 11:15:22 PM »
Anyone know if John Henry was at the game tonight? I heard he was flying in today. Although he knows very little about football, he's a very clever guy. Surely he knows we need strengthening. I keep hearing January's not the time to make additions but I don't think we've got a choice. There's got to be players available that are better than some of our current lot

I dont think so. The tv cameras would have picked him out if he was but I never saw him or any of his contingent.

I'd start with someone like Ryan Shawcross. Then I'd work on getting Insua back and maybe a partner for Nando. But to be honest Kopite theres not many players fit to wear the shirt.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:27 PM »
MartinMarx and I must have been watching different games. I thought we were pretty awful. For those that criticised Carragher consider how bad our defence has been since his injury. We've not had one clean sheet in PL games since he was injured.

Couldnt agree with you more there. Yes carra has lost pace but he's a leader and the absence of him in the dressing room shouldnt be underestimated. Gerrards captain on paper but carra is the one that'll say it as it is.  I'm starting to think we need a team of mainly British players that know liverpool football club and what it means. We've got a lot of foreign mercenaries at the moment(not all of them I must add) that are more interested in their wage packets than walking through a brick wall for the club. Personally I'd rather fat trev from my local pub play rather than poulson

ps I've heard jovanovic is on 120,000 grand a week. Does anyone know if that's true?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:25:21 PM by Kopite999 »

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 12, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
Just read he's on 60000 a week. But in the same story it said johnsons on a 120000. dont know how reliable that is.

Tes your normally excellent with getting figures. If you don't mind  I'd love to see the current squads weekly wages if you'd know where to find them??then we can really lay into the fat cats that aren't performing and ship them out. We've got one of the highest wage bills in the league and I don't want to sit back whilst they're robbing us
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:43:45 PM by Kopite999 »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 13, 2011, 08:23:58 AM »
Were we watching the same game Martin? First half I thought we played well. Second half we got destroyed and we were lucky to come out of there 2 down. Blackpool totally deserved the win.

Put into context and compared to many other performances this season I think this was a step forward. I won't get blinded by the negative result or the fact we strugged to create a lot of chances. But fact of the matter is that we managed to keep the ball, pass it while move around and willing to push forward. A lucky break here or there and we would've been up and could've built on it. It wasn't to be, but I really thought we had a good enough game for 65 minutes. As I said above and in concert with the rest of you, I'm too worried over how we went about thing last 20-25. We were dire and never looked like clawing our way back into the game once they scored. In short, I don't think we were that poor some have it.

Rather than putting the blame for this malaise on Roy I'd point to Rafa and his mismanagement during his last two years with us (bar that 3 months spell in spring 2009 I probably have to add).
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 13, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
Put into context and compared to many other performances this season I think this was a step forward. I won't get blinded by the negative result or the fact we strugged to create a lot of chances. But fact of the matter is that we managed to keep the ball, pass it while move around and willing to push forward. A lucky break here or there and we would've been up and could've built on it. It wasn't to be, but I really thought we had a good enough game for 65 minutes. As I said above and in concert with the rest of you, I'm too worried over how we went about thing last 20-25. We were dire and never looked like clawing our way back into the game once they scored. In short, I don't think we were that poor some have it.

Rather than putting the blame for this malaise on Roy I'd point to Rafa and his mismanagement during his last two years with us (bar that 3 months spell in spring 2009 I probably have to add).

I do agree with you there Martin, I thought at times we did pass it well and you can see that Kenny is trying to play a more attack minded game. Unfortunately for us somtetimes our midfield relinquished posssession too easily and our defence was just abysmal. Also I agree we did get in positions at times where if our final ball was better the likes of Torres could have been put in on goal. Lucas was guilty of playing abysmal balls into the final third from good attacking positions and thats one of the reasons I think  he will never be good enough to be our first choice central midfielder.

It would be unfair of me to try and blame it all on Roy because in the last season under Rafa it was clear we had problems. But I also think its unfair to blame it all on Rafa. In his defense he finished 7th last season not 17th so things were never as bad as this season.