August 10, 2020, 08:27:11 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 192981 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #555 on: January 17, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
True, both Kelly and Johnson were impressive going forward. However, both struggle defensively and especially on our own last 3rd. Again, Kelly's getting better by each game. May turn out the surprise of the season.

The difference between Kelly and Johnson in defence is that Kelly has a future at right back, Johnson doesnt. Kelly is young enough to keep improving, I'm not sure Glen has that luxury. Why nobody has tried Johnson in midfield is a mystery. As blatantly obvious are his weaknesses as a defender, equally it is very clear he is very capable in attack.

Until the elephant in the room is dealt with and by that I mean Skrtel and the left back position we are going to struggle. And until we shore up the defence I dont think we will be able to tell if Agger is still the player he once was or whether he too needs replacing. Agger was great in years gone by but with injury and loss of form he hasnt been consistent for a long while now

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:31 AM »
I thought there were lots of positives from the derby (not least the mention of a Steve Mc Mahon challenge on Pat Van den Hauwe back in the old days).

I was happy enough with the selection, feeling that Maxi gives us more balance in midfield and thought that Spearing also gives us more bite than Poulsen. Torres is definitely looking more menacing and surprisingly even Johnson has a spring in his step (hair tied back) has that old bounce and elasticity going forward. Kelly has come in and I think that he's shown enough both away to Utd. and home to the Toffees to have a fair claim to the starting spot at right back. Good to see Meireles get off the mark (needs to keep it up though!).

Unfortunately Skrtel is a big disappointment (seems lost without Carragher) and just doesn't seem capable of being anything other than a very average centre back (one who seems to have an estranged relationship with the football...have we met before) not to mention rising to meet the challenge of being first choice for Liverpool. Pretty useless at set-pieces too. I read somewhere he drives a Bentley ::)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 18, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
Some other news from the independent from 4/5 days ago talked about 2 items that i hadn't heard about...

1. we had sacked all our european scouts (bar one)....with any new scouts will be under the largess of comolli...seriously hoping that comolli does his stuff because thats a lot of power in his hands...
2. our new CEO to be was the ex CEO from Celtic...

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 22, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
What a transformation from the side that played Wolves on 29 December!!

Good vision from Poulsen for the pass to Meireles who squared for a Torres tap-in. Wonderful strike from Raul for number 2 and fine passing for the third - another Torres tap-in.

The passing, movement and vision is back and it's all thanks to Kenny. The future's bright - the future is RED!!!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 22, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
excellent win.

only 11 points away from the magical 40.

;)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 22, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
excellent win.

only 11 points away from the magical 40.

;)

40 points? Presumably the safety point to avoid relegation. I think when you see the way they played today dude you will banish such thoughts. Night and Day springs to mind comapred to the debacle at Anfield a mere 24 days ago.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
40 points? Presumably the safety point to avoid relegation. I think when you see the way they played today dude you will banish such thoughts. Night and Day springs to mind comapred to the debacle at Anfield a mere 24 days ago.

that's great to hear, asi.

I missed the game on tv.......assumed as usual that it would be a Sunday game, or maybe a late kickoff.  Grrr.  I could have watched it live, if I had known.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
that's great to hear, asi.

I missed the game on tv.......assumed as usual that it would be a Sunday game, or maybe a late kickoff.  Grrr.  I could have watched it live, if I had known.

What a pity. Wolves tried to play the same man-marking stifling game they did last month but we moved the ball too quickly and players moved too quickly for them to have any answer to it. They had plenty of possession but Pepe wasn't that busy. Wait until you see Raul's goal. A contender for goal of the season.

We have a game at home against Fulham on Wednesday at 20:00GMT so maybe you can catch that although it isn't being shown on Sky or ESPN here.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 22, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Call it arrogance but in terms of the result that's the Liverpool I grew up supporting, downloading the game at the moment, back later with some sort of opinion....

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2011, 03:06:52 AM »
Good result (shed pitch) and there appear to be signs of an attacking partnership/ understanding between Torres & Meireles. In particular Meireles was effective today, needs to keep it up though (gives Joe Cole something to think about).

I'm happy enough that with Stevie G returning on Wednesday, there's a core attacking threat of him, Meireles and Torres supported by Kuyt & Maxi/Cole (My impression is that goals can come from at least 4 of that 5). Defensively though we're still a bit shaky, but I suppose if Kuyt, Lucas and Maxi track back there's probably enough there short term (that can be compensated for by everyone working hard), certainly with the home fixtures.

I'm not jumping for joy yet but we appear to on the right track and relegation is definitely no longer an issue which was not the case under Hodgson. Well done lads NEED TO KEEP IT UP & DO BETTER THOUGH!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »
Good result indeed. So happy to see us win with room to spare. Raul Meireles is taking a step forward each game. He's still guilty of having a tendency to waste the ball but all in all he was a giant in the absence of Steven. Also thought Torres, again, looked more lively and up for it. Kuijt was immense and so was Reina. Not that he had a lot to do but you really can tell he provide calm and leadership for the rest of the team.

Did anyone notice how our 3rd was an echo from the 80's? 30 passes on the trot (yes, I counted them all) before Torres slotted home from close range. I haven't seen us score a goal like that for many many years. It makes a conservative, nostagic old fart like meself smile all night and day. Hopefully there's more to come. Still, it has to be said, against a better team Skrtel's game would probably have hit us hard.

Bring on Fulham! Well done lads!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:24:39 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
Excellent result and the blank sheet was a welcome sight as well..
saw the highlights only (sadly) on motd...but even so and in comparison with our showings in the previous year or so it was like watching a different team! Almost like watching us when we did real madrid and manure...in that glorious week...i'm still cautious however and refuse to get ahead of myself..
the motd 'analysis' showed that there were 4 players who attacked as one..(torres, merieles, kuyt and maxi) which was a real pleasure to see...they worked well together as well...
it'll be interesting to see where suarez and adam fit in but there's nothing better than a richness of available players...
it will also be interesting to see where gerrard is placed when he returns...

they say a week is a long time in politics..
3 weeks in football is far longer...
Kenny has obviously brought in belief... attacking away from home was a fantastic sight...
and nous...kelly at right back...and johnson at left (which tbh i didn't think of)

very positive...and long may it continue..
p.s skrtel still looks dodgy but that belief and the clean sheet may well transform him as well..anyone know when carragher is back?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 24, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
I agree with all the comments above great result.

To win 3 nil away to any team is an achievement no matter who you are and saturday was no different at Wolves.

The lingering shadow of the Hicks and Gillette regime finally feels like its been lifted and the team, club and fans are showing signs of moving on. Unfortunately it was always going to take Roy to leave for that to happen.

Back to the game and it was already a million miles from what we witnessed with Roy. Its great to see that Kenny is bringing back the pass and move ethos to the club. The build up and execution of Rauls goal was superb.  One worrying aspect was us being pinned into our 18 yard area for long periods of the second half but I can see us improving each week. Torres looks delighted by Kennys appointment, I get the impression that his and Reinas futures are no longer in question. If we can add some quality in this window it would be great to see us make that long awaited charge up the table

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #568 on: January 25, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
I wont be convinced torres will be here next season until the 1st September. But your right things are looking brighter for him to want to stay

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 26, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »
Very disappointing performance really. We were very fortunate to win this and wouldn't have survived another 4 minutes. We look disorganised, unstructured and totally without a plan. Individually some players are really good but as a team there's not much hope for the rest of this season. Skrtel had a stinker - again. Against better opposition we'll be punished heavily regardless of how good Torres et.al. performs.

Reina - Saved us. Bestest keeper in the world like.

Kelly - Struggles to control the ball. Poor reading of the game and difficulties to get into the right position defensively doesn't help. I know he's the new mascot and all but I do not think he's good enough at this moment.

Skrtel - A liability. End of.

Agger - Doesn't seem to command the same authority he once used to have. It's obvious he and Skrtel doesn't play well together.

Johnson - Another inspiring performance. Been a revelation since moving to the left. Have difficulties with his left foot sometimes but often compensate for it by getting past opposition.

Kuijt - Great work rate as per usual. Not as effective and involved as against Wolfes but good enough I say.

Poulsen - His best performance in a red shirt. Keeps it simple and seem to find his role and position on the pitch.

Gerrard - A disappointment really. Wasted many balls and kept trying the difficult option. Contributed very little tonite.

Meireles - Another brilliant performance. Keeps us mobile and unpredictable. Our most important player at the moment.

Maxi - Surely Jovanovic is gay and Dalglish must be homophobic. What other reason to keep Maxi in the team game after game? Unbelieveable really.

Torres - Can do much better than that.

A win against Stoke is a must or this good run will come to a premature end. If that is to happen we need to up our game some 60-70 per cent because during the last 20 you'd be forgiven for thinking Rafa was still in charge. That's how bad it was.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.