August 13, 2020, 06:42:18 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193649 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the summary MartinMarx. I'm about to watch the highlights on Sky. I suppose we can't turn every team over. The last two seasons under Rafa ended 0-0 at Anfield against Fulham.

You have to go back to Nov 2007 for our last win at home against them, 2-0. When you win without playing well isn't it called "winning ugly"? I'll take that.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:16 PM »
When you win without playing well isn't it called "winning ugly"? I'll take that.

The Mancs have done it several times this season and previously and we used to be the masters of it.
3points, 2 consecutive wins and another clean sheet will help build confidence. As confidence builds, the performances should follow - that's Plan A at least.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #572 on: January 27, 2011, 02:21:23 AM »
Very disappointing performance really. We were very fortunate to win this and wouldn't have survived another 4 minutes. We look disorganised, unstructured and totally without a plan. Individually some players are really good but as a team there's not much hope for the rest of this season. Skrtel had a stinker - again. Against better opposition we'll be punished heavily regardless of how good Torres et.al. performs.

Reina - Saved us. Bestest keeper in the world like.

Kelly - Struggles to control the ball. Poor reading of the game and difficulties to get into the right position defensively doesn't help. I know he's the new mascot and all but I do not think he's good enough at this moment.

Skrtel - A liability. End of.

Agger - Doesn't seem to command the same authority he once used to have. It's obvious he and Skrtel doesn't play well together.

Johnson - Another inspiring performance. Been a revelation since moving to the left. Have difficulties with his left foot sometimes but often compensate for it by getting past opposition.

Kuijt - Great work rate as per usual. Not as effective and involved as against Wolfes but good enough I say.

Poulsen - His best performance in a red shirt. Keeps it simple and seem to find his role and position on the pitch.

Gerrard - A disappointment really. Wasted many balls and kept trying the difficult option. Contributed very little tonite.

Meireles - Another brilliant performance. Keeps us mobile and unpredictable. Our most important player at the moment.

Maxi - Surely Jovanovic is gay and Dalglish must be homophobic. What other reason to keep Maxi in the team game after game? Unbelieveable really.

Torres - Can do much better than that.

A win against Stoke is a must or this good run will come to a premature end. If that is to happen we need to up our game some 60-70 per cent because during the last 20 you'd be forgiven for thinking Rafa was still in charge. That's how bad it was.

Harsh especially on agger and Kelly. Agger is getting better after his injury. There's nothing better than watching a centre back that can play surge forward. and Kelly did make a couple of small errors but more than made up for it getting to the byline and putting in good crosses.

Equally I thought kuyt and poulson were very poor.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 27, 2011, 03:02:22 AM »
I note Johnson got an even tighter haircut....wondering if Daglish is trying to convince him that he is John Barnes? :D

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
I note Johnson got an even tighter haircut....wondering if Daglish is trying to convince him that he is John Barnes? :D

lol. I actually looked on to the pitch last night and for a split second and from a distance thought it was barnesy

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 27, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
fairly mundane first half.

it came to life in the second half.

very concerning to see the ease with which fulham bossed many periods of the game.

fulham will have been (as kenny admitted afterwards) extremely disappointed to leave anfield with nothing.

Gerrard was awful.  Time after time, rather than take the easy option, he tried the ridiculous (and gifts possession to the opposition).  I would have him playing on the right, and eventually left back (in the dressing room).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »
I'm not going defend Gerrard too much because he wasn't at his best. But he seemed to me to be a lot more interested last night and covered more ground than he has done this season. I wouldn't write him off yet. He hasnt played for a few weeks.I've got a feeling under kenny he'll be back to his best and come may he'll be lifting the Europa league in Dublin

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 27, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »

It's funny you should mention that Ed.  Johnson had an attempt on goal coming in from the left wing and having his shot tipped over the bar by the Fulham keeper.  Very Barnes like, especially with his new hair-do  :D
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 27, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
Harsh especially on agger and Kelly. Agger is getting better after his injury. There's nothing better than watching a centre back that can play surge forward. and Kelly did make a couple of small errors but more than made up for it getting to the byline and putting in good crosses.

Equally I thought kuyt and poulson were very poor.

I don't think Kelly should be exempted from scrutiny just because he's the fan's favorite. Fact of the matter is that he's struggling with his ball control and feels anything but solid defensivly, e.g. Johnson cruising past him with 7-8 minutes to go wasn't acceptable he way it happened. I know Konchesky would've been slaughtered if he did the same.

What good is it if he makes a few good runs if he committs basic errors (NB! not small dittos) that leads to us conceding goals? None in my book. I like the lad, don't get me wrong.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 27, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
He's young and done brilliant to make the right back slot his own. He's going to make mistakes but he'll learn. He's one of the best prospects to come through the ranks in a long time. Get behind the lad coz he's our future captain in the making

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
He's young and done brilliant to make the right back slot his own. He's going to make mistakes but he'll learn. He's one of the best prospects to come through the ranks in a long time. Get behind the lad coz he's our future captain in the making

Ditto..
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:18 AM »

How do you argue with or against such reasoning? You can't. End of discussion it seems. It's like the Roy discussion the other way round. Must say I'm impressed by this fortunetelling gift LFC fans allegedly have.

Boring.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 28, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »
Must say I'm impressed by this fortunetelling gift LFC fans allegedly have.

Why thank you sir!  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 28, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
Balls of crystal.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 30, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Fair play to Danny Murphy today! 2 Penalties!!  :)