August 13, 2020, 06:02:37 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193606 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #585 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »
Solid performance. Some very nice movement at times. Two well taken goals. The games these days look a million miles from when Roy was at the club although in fairness to Roy he had a few good home performaces.

After a poor game against Fulham we definitley stepped it up again. And aside from the odd scare Reina had very little to do. Its amazing that these are the same players that played under roy because its pretty much been a complete transformation.

One grievance I do have at times is that it can often take us a long while to get going. You look at United and they are generally out of the blocks like a flash and often get very early goals.

Anyway if we can beat Chelsea on sunday I reckon we're back in the title race  :P :P :P :P

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 03, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Good performance tho we still lack quality in some of the things we're trying to do, thus making it increasingly easy to keep us at arms length.

Finally the PL has got itself a world-class referee. That was arguably the best piece of refereeing I've seen since spending too much time during the 90's watching Serie A and a young Collina debuting. This fella got it spot on from start to finish. An example for the rest of the wankers to follow.

Lucas, Lucas, Lucas, when will we ever see the back of you? You're so outright worthless it's ferkin unbelieveabe. Never in the history of this club has such a poor player got so many games yet developed so little. Never. For two and a half years he's been played regurarly, yet he's on exactly the same level making the same basic mistakes, still to weak to withstand a tackle. Hilarious tho when he ran towards the corner to make that flick.  :D Talk abot lack of insight.

Very very happy to see Surez score. Also thought he was mobile, quick in though and pacey. Anyone else agree he wasn't very unsimilar to Owen back in the day?

Kelly, continue to struggle with his positional game and ball contol. Might be risky to play him there on Sunday.

Kyrgiakos was phenomenal throughout the game. And so was Agger.

Gerrard my MOTM.

All in all I'm much less depressed than a month ago. It's a bit frustrating Carroll's so far away from returning. Having been out of the game for two months + changed club in the meantime my hopes aren't big he'll get a start to his Anfield career similar to that of Suarez.

Can we beat Chelsea?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #587 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
Probably not if I'm realistic. I'd be happy with a well earned point given their recent form. But ive seen stranger things happen in football and if anyone can do it the king can.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 03, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
the king rules in london.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 03, 2011, 11:47:32 PM »
It's a big ask but if we were to beat them Sunday we'll only be 6 points behind them!! Champions league football anyone??

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 03, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
wouldn't that be awesome, kopite.

a mere 6 points behind them and it is only the start of February.

mind you, looks like united are gonna overtake our title record this season. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »
It would be a very sad day if they did win it this season, but I can think of a lot worse that could have happened to us if Hicks and gillette had remained in charge.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 04, 2011, 03:10:28 AM »
Interesting formation v's Stoke, maybe like Dalglish said he was just using the best of what he had available but it certainly worked, imo, joining defence to midfield which has been a serious problem all season in both directions, but particularly defending.

Great to see Agger in full flight for the opener (could be back to his old self?)

Mad thing was Skrtel seemed to keep cropping up high up the pitch (never seen that before!)

Kuyt MOTM imo (and I think he'll be the biggest help to Suarez as he settles in!)

Nothing wrong with Lucas tonight, imo, started the best move of the game (the pass and move bit just before half time that ended with a Kuyt shot) and set up the chance for the second goal. Chalkboard says out of 74 passes, 66 were successful 8 unsuccessful v's Gerrard 77 passes, 61 successful, 16 unsuccessful.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/O12qD1M4K2BpOZ98p8c7

I think we were the better team tonight even though we rode our luck for both goals but we need to keep this up!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 04, 2011, 05:43:34 AM »
Kuyt MOTM imo (and I think he'll be the biggest help to Suarez as he settles in!)

Nothing wrong with Lucas tonight

I think we were the better team tonight even though we rode our luck for both goals but we need to keep this up!!!

tonight??   you gotta get a quicker feed, Ed  :D   That Stoke match was several days ago.

Agreed re Kuyt and Lucas.

Heck, like I said many times, Kuyt (along with Reina) would be my first name on the team sheet.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 04, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »
If arsenal win the league cup(assuming they qualify for champions league this year) and a team that qualifies for the champions league wins the f a cup, does the Europa league place go to the runners up of that competition or does it mean extra europa league qualification places in the league?  Hope that makes sense!!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 04, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
tonight??   you gotta get a quicker feed, Ed  :D   

Yeah, caught the 60 min highlights on Sky but wanted to get a good look at the full game ahead of Chelsea and mysoccerplace didn't have one so had to get it elsewhere!

The lads at zonal marking aren't reading too much into the formation v Stoke!

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/02/03/liverpool-2-0-stoke-tactics/

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 04, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
Yeah, caught the 60 min highlights on Sky but wanted to get a good look at the full game ahead of Chelsea and mysoccerplace didn't have one so had to get it elsewhere!

The lads at zonal marking aren't reading too much into the formation v Stoke!

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/02/03/liverpool-2-0-stoke-tactics/

thanks for the mysoccerplace link, Ed.  That is a new one for me. 

aye, zonalmarking are like the rest of us - as yet unsure re how Kenny will adjust his tactics.

I am still looking for the stoke match.............4 channels here were all covering 4 different live premiership games that night....but friggen none of them were our match.  Frustrating.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »

I am still looking for the stoke match.............

Hey dude, I got it here!
http://liverpoolfcclips.blogspot.com/

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 05, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »
Hey dude, I got it here!
http://liverpoolfcclips.blogspot.com/

YOU are a star, Ed!! 

Many thanks!

I get my weekend Match of the Days at uknova (great torrent forum for British telly).

But these midweek MOTD's are a tad difficult.

Thanks again for this super link.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 05, 2011, 01:38:42 AM »
Thanks again for this super link.

No bother! Note, I couldn't get the .mkv files to play using VLC and needed to install the CCCP pack:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

to get them to play on Windows Media Player in Windows! Not exactly sure what I was doing but it worked  ;D!