August 13, 2020, 06:00:34 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193604 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #615 on: February 06, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »
Fantastic result! Fantastic performance! We owned Chelsea from start to finish and if it wasn't for the worthless Maxi we'd won it even bigger. Kuijt tonite showed he's truly a great player. IMHO, he was by far the best player on the pitch. If there was ever an unsung hero at Liverpool, he's the one. Also thought both Gerrard and Meireles proved their class.

On the downside of things tho we have Lucas, Maxi and Skrtel. On another day they would've cost us the game, but thanks to an indifferent Chelsea display it thankfully didn't happen.

Thought Carra was phenomenal on his comeback and so was Agger. Johnson played very well and even Kelly showed he's maturing by each game. It has to be said tho he should've set up Meireles after 15 where half the pitch was open but he failed to deliever.

Official stats said they had 4 shots on goal. I must've missed them somehow because I don't remember them. Never again will Reina have so little to do at the Bridge.

A truly impressive performance that keeps hope of finishing top 4 alive.

Well done Redmen!!!  :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
I did feel a little sorry for Fernando today. Strikers only have a 10-13 year career and he's over half-way through his and hasn't won anything at club level. I can understand why he has left. All his Spain team mates have won honours with their clubs except him (and Pepe of course) and he must be desperate. He can't afford to wait for us to rebuild.

That was a brilliant performance today. Reminds me of how we played in spring 2009 under Rafa. Who would have thought Kenny could turn things around so quickly? Praise must also be given to Steve Clarke. And all without our two new buys.

Just 6 pts behind a CL place now but probably 9 given Spurs have a game in hand. More than gettable given current form. Happy days indeed!

It would still take a collapse from both Chelsea and Spurs for us to get fourth, but the great thing is we now can dream. We're looking up instead of worriedly over our shoulder.

Talking of Torres (ish), by all accounts Fabrigas spent the second half yesterday simply going through the motions.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #617 on: February 06, 2011, 07:26:31 PM »
Agree with everything you said martin apart from chelsea being poor and Lucas. We bossed the game and didn't let Chelsea play. We were all over them like a rash. And I've been critical of Lucas in the past but I thought today especially in the last 20 minutes he was everything we want him be every week.

How did maxi miss that open goal? And that pass to Torres first half was dreadful. I don't want to be to critical after today's game but I think if kenny stays maxi will be sold in the summer

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 06, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
I don't want to be to critical after today's game but I think if kenny stays maxi will be sold in the summer

No need to keep him to appease our centre forward. I think we will see a cull of older players in the Summer, especially those on a pretty penny. Just hope the axe doesn't fall on Kuyt. Like Sami before him, he's the shining  example of what the 'professional' in professional footballer is all about.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
Jesus, the whole club needed that win today and fair play to all the lads for delivering for us!!! :D

Nothing but praise for everyone involved, need to keep it up though!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 06, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
Feel sorry for Torres?!!!!! My bottom. He deserves all the crap he gets. The disrespect he showed us on plastic flag tv will never be forgotten. I'd love it if Chelsea fail to qualify for the champions league next year and we qualify instead. Hope his remaining days are filled we hamstring pulls and broken legs.

kopite, I'd love it, if when these financial fair play rules get introduced, teams like chelsea find it impossible to qualify for the CL each season.

mercenaries like torres, always chasing the big pay and glory, would be fecked.

the irony would be delicious.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 06, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
Kenny must have almost cemented his permanent place as manager now...Clarke is also essential to the future of the club...
4 clean sheets says it all...nice to see the exact same group of players so woefully mismanaged by Hodgson come up trumps today...

and after the horror of the first part of the season and looking at a relegation dogfight, i have to say what a pleasure it is to actually look at the table again! 6 points to fourth...who would have thought that just 4 weeks ago?

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »
Feel sorry for Torres?!!!!! My bottom. He deserves all the crap he gets. The disrespect he showed us on plastic flag tv will never be forgotten. I'd love it if Chelsea fail to qualify for the champions league next year and we qualify instead. Hope his remaining days are filled we hamstring pulls and broken legs.

I'm probably wasting my time but have a read of this article and maybe you'll see him in a different light. We have become a stronger side after his departure so I have no problem with him leaving after the initial disappointment last weekend.

Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 06, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
It would still take a collapse from both Chelsea and Spurs for us to get fourth, but the great thing is we now can dream. We're looking up instead of worriedly over our shoulder.
Stranger things have happened. I think Chelsea are probably okay for CL football but Spurs far less so. They have to play Chelsea, Man City and us all away from home plus CL games.

Talking of Torres (ish), by all accounts Fabrigas spent the second half yesterday simply going through the motions.
So did most of the Arsenal side in the second half apparently! Arsene must have gone mental  ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 06, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
Arsene must have gone mental  ;D

That's if he saw it.  :D

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
Ive read loads of articles on Torres recently and at the end of the day he was willing to leave us in the sh!t not long b4 the window closed. Then when he signed for them he said he was now at a big club!!! It really wouldnt surprise me if they(chelsea and torres) had it planned all along.I won't go on because he's the past and I don't really want to talk about him anyway. Especially after such a great win and a team that's now fighting for every ball

And aggers elbow on Torres was priceless!!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »
Looks like gerrards out of the England squad this week now because of injury. I have my doubts there's anything wrong with him though TBH. I think it might be a gesture from capello considering the last time he played for them he got injured late on in a friendly.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Kopite, happy to put the Torres thing to bed and focus on the positives. Did anyone know this is the first time we've won 4 league games on the trot since we put Bolton, Burnley, West Ham and Hull to the sword in Aug/Sept 09 scoring 16 and conceding 5?

Prior to that we had two 5-win sequences split with a draw in that great 2008/09 season. 10 out of 11! But back then we had Alonso, Hyppia and Masch in the team. Allegedly stronger that our current team! Just imagine what we might becapable of with a fit Carroll and Suarez!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »
I think it might be a gesture from capello considering the last time he played for them he got injured late on in a friendly.

Hope you're right Kopite. At least there's no risk being taken with him and depending on the severity, hopefully the rest will sort. I think we've got to get accustomed to Gerrard having more of these problems. It's reoccurring too often now for it to be a 'new' injury.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 06, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
Kopite, happy to put the Torres thing to bed and focus on the positives. Did anyone know this is the first time we've won 4 league games on the trot since we put Bolton, Burnley, West Ham and Hull to the sword in Aug/Sept 09 scoring 16 and conceding 5?

Prior to that we had two 5-win sequences split with a draw in that great 2008/09 season. 10 out of 11! But back then we had Alonso, Hyppia and Masch in the team. Allegedly stronger that our current team! Just imagine what we might becapable of with a fit Carroll and Suarez!

And the washer's had a rest with four clean sheets. The impressive thing about our recent run is when you look at the corresponding fixtures over the last couple of seasons, Wolves, Fulham and Stoke have all been the source of dropped points.