August 13, 2020, 06:12:56 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193620 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #630 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
kopite, I'd love it, if when these financial fair play rules get introduced, teams like chelsea find it impossible to qualify for the CL each season.

mercenaries like torres, always chasing the big pay and glory, would be fecked.

the irony would be delicious.

Its seems the fate of the financial fair play rules is all going to depend on how strictly it will be regulated.

John Henry admitted he was very surprised Chelsea bid 50 million for Torres because a couple of days before their accounts showed losses for the previous year of 70 million. Apparently the fair play rules state you cant be showing losses for the 3 previous seasons before you enter the Champions League. If thats the case how do Chelsea plan to manage that?

As for the game superb. I was as nervy as the CL semi we played against them at the bridge. Kenny however he is managing to do it is transforming the way the team play, from relegation candidates to European hopefuls in the space of a month is nothing short of miraculous. And whether he ever admits it I'd say there is a piece of doubt in Nandos mind as to whether hes made the right move. Had this game been played on the sunday before the transfer window shut and had we acheived the same perforamce and result would Torres still have left for Chelsea? I doubt it very much.

As for feeling sorry for him, no chance. Torres could have gone graciously but he chose to stick the boot in when he left with some very poor choice of words in more than one interview. With that team ageing rapidly and with Chelsea under pressure to clean up their act financially this season could represent Nandos best chance he has of winning anything at Stamford Bridge, and who could see them overhauling the likes of United now or stopping the likes of Barca in europe. Highly unlikely.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #631 on: February 06, 2011, 11:05:35 PM »
Roman probably thinks he can do the same to uefa as he did to FIFA when Russia won to host the world cup. He trades in brown envelopes!!!

Next 3 games for us are Wigan at home west ham away and then man u at home. All very winnable. Surely we can't win them all?!!!!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 06, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »
So true about Roman Kopite. Surely it will have to come to a head in the next few years. What would Torres do if Chelsea were excluded from the CL? He will get himself a set of Man City armbands just in case. anyway enough of Torres.

As for this winning run, I see no reason why it cant go on until May!  :o

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Danny Agger's "block" in the Chelsea game! I keep laughing every time I see it and the quick handshake with Carra after it is priceless  (the Chinese commentators are hilarious) ;D

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/dan-agger-foul-torres-8418332/

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 07, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
Danny Agger's "block" in the Chelsea game! I keep laughing every time I see it and the quick handshake with Carra after it is priceless  (the Chinese commentators are hilarious) ;D

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/dan-agger-foul-torres-8418332/

Crassic!!  ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 10, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
I got asked a question today that I couldn't answer. Man utd to win the league and overtake us on league titles but beat our rivals for fourth in the process and we sneak in to 4th place? OR man utd fail to win league and we finish outside top 4?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
I got asked a question today that I couldn't answer. Man utd to win the league and overtake us on league titles but beat our rivals for fourth in the process and we sneak in to 4th place? OR man utd fail to win league and we finish outside top 4?

definitely manure to not win the title.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 10, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »

It doesn't need much thinking about Kopite. Not to me anyway. The first option of course. Let the Mancs have their 19th title. They'll never get 5 European Cups under misery guts. Once we're back in the CL the club will become more attractive to potential future players and our income will rise quite a bit. Let them have no 19 plus £500M of debt!

Of course we could finish 4th or better and they may not finish top. That would be my perfect option!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
I'm swaying towards us getting 4th. Only because I think this summer is pivotal to us. A champions league place next year really could shape the next couple of years for us. As we all know top foreigners crave champions league football. So if we want to have the best we have to have it. Also reina would hang around.

On the flip side we don't want a situation where we qualify next season but not the year after and then everybody wants a move away!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
The race doesn't end at 19. They can get to 19 before us, but we'll reach 25 before them.

We need to be in the CL to attract players. Unfortunately the modern player is more interested in the image than the substance. Some want both, but few want the latter over the former.

Hence Chelsea and now Mansour City being regarded as 'big' or 'important' clubs.  ::)
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
Kopite, I'm pleased that you've chosen what is best for LFC and ignored our rivals. It annoys me that so many players deem the CL matches to be so important whilst the Europa League is deemed unworthy. I don't remember the old UEFA Cup (that we won in 2001) being held in such contempt.

UEFA need to rething these competitions as it makes no sense players wishing to join a league of 6 games some of which are dead rubbers. Time to return it to a knockout competition even if it means the champions could be knocked out in the first round as we were in 79 when we lost to Forest.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 10, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
UEFA need to rethink these competitions as it makes no sense players wishing to join a league of 6 games some of which are dead rubbers. Time to return it to a knockout competition even if it means the champions could be knocked out in the first round as we were in 79 when we lost to Forest.

excatly.

been saying the same for years.

tho sadly, turkeys won't vote for Christmas (the big european clubs run football these days)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
excatly.

been saying the same for years.

tho sadly, turkeys won't vote for Christmas (the big european clubs run football these days)

They definitely have too much power dude as has been shown by comments Lord Triesmann made this week about his time as Chairman / President of the FA. Scudamore / Sky / Murdoch run English football now. How I detest all they stand for. Remember last weekend and the record number of goals scored? That is only since 1992. No mention was made of records before that year. Football doesn't exist for these morons before then. 100 years of football instantly forgotten. Grrgghh!!!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 11, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
They definitely have too much power dude as has been shown by comments Lord Triesmann made this week about his time as Chairman / President of the FA. Scudamore / Sky / Murdoch run English football now. How I detest all they stand for. Remember last weekend and the record number of goals scored? That is only since 1992. No mention was made of records before that year. Football doesn't exist for these morons before then. 100 years of football instantly forgotten. Grrgghh!!!

agreed, asi.

I saw Lord Triesmann's quotes about how the Premiership (and scudamore) refused to countenance any changes.  Scandalous.

all these premiership people care about is money.....and there is never enough of it, for them.

the 39th game - and it taking place abroad, was beyond contemptuous.  Not only did it stick two fingers up at fans of the English game, but it also treated other nations (and their football championships) with total contempt.

you know, in the pre-sky days, we got our football for free.  Now we are paying a king's ransom for the same product (ok, admittedly, they do have cameras at every ground now).

murdoch (and his allies) are despicable.    Greed runs through the core of their being.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »
I must admit Dude that I do enjoy watching footie on the TV and I'm looking forward to the Manc derby tomorrow. But I'm lucky because I can afford the subs Sky charge. They must be worried about this court judgement last week that allowed a Portsmouth landlady to appeal the charge that she couldn't buy footie from a Greek company.

If that is allowed it would kill Saturday football here as it wouldn't prevent 3pm matches being shown live for a fraction of the price we currently pay. Sky could fold but if that happens who takes up the mantle? You could have all games controlled by a foreign body who treat the clubs and the fans even worse than Sky.

Better the devil you know maybe?
Cheers,
Ray