November 29, 2020, 01:09:31 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 210053 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #645 on: February 11, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
The money sky pay for the premier league is madness. It's keeping clubs a float at the moment. I just can't help thinking it's all a house of cards waiting to fall

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #646 on: February 11, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
The money sky pay for the premier league is madness. It's keeping clubs a float at the moment. I just can't help thinking it's all a house of cards waiting to fall

It's heavily loaded in favour of the Premier League. Clubs in lower divisions are really struggling. A few years ago Stockport were in the same division as Man City. Now look at their situations. Stockport are at the bottom of league 2 and will probably go out of the league this season. They could really do with a few decent players. Manure recalled two players from Preston when Ferguson's son was sacked as manager. Those players are now languishing in the reserves.

They could be loaned out to Stockport. City too could help their neighbours either financially or with some players. Stockport is only 10 miles from both grounds.

Nothing will happen and Stockport will get relegated whilst players at those clubs pull in more money in a week than County players make in several years. Those Manchester clubs should be ashamed of themselves.

In comparison Liverpool do at least try to help Tranmere with a friendly most seasons I believe.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 11, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
I must admit Dude that I do enjoy watching footie on the TV and I'm looking forward to the Manc derby tomorrow. But I'm lucky because I can afford the subs Sky charge. They must be worried about this court judgement last week that allowed a Portsmouth landlady to appeal the charge that she couldn't buy footie from a Greek company.

If that is allowed it would kill Saturday football here as it wouldn't prevent 3pm matches being shown live for a fraction of the price we currently pay. Sky could fold but if that happens who takes up the mantle? You could have all games controlled by a foreign body who treat the clubs and the fans even worse than Sky.

Better the devil you know maybe?

if murdoch's empire were to crash in the morning, I would be cracking open a bottle of bubbly, ASI.

i cancelled my membership 5 years ago.  I had been with sky since the start (late 80s).  But I was just fed up with the ghastly money in football.

if a monthly full sports package subscription were to suddenly drop to 5 pounds a month, players would still be earning a massive wage (maybe Torres would fall from 175,000 quid a week, to 25,000).

if this madness goes on unchecked, then we are heading for the american sports model - where the fees and wages are even more ghastly that the english premiership.

and despite all the money at present in football - clubs still are stupid enough to be operating at massive losses.

sanity needs to be restored.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 11, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
Predictions for tomorrow?

I'd like us to stuff em by a few but I'd be just as happy with another 3 points. That would mean 15 points from the last 5. If Sunderland beat spurs we'd be within touching distance of them. And we've got to play spurs and city at home yet. I'm fully expecting them 2 to have a bad spell aswell. I don't want to be too over confident but if we can keep playing the way we are, there's really a chance at 4th. Something I thought was impossible a few weeks ago

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 11, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
3-0

re 4th spot.........chelsea and spurs are 6 points clear with a game in hand.

we have t oget ahead of both, to claim 4th.

Given Chelsea have a massive lead re goal difference, their lead is effectively 10 points (if they win the game in hand).

can we pick up a ten point gap, in the reaming 12 games.....a tall order.  But let's give it a shot.  If we can win another 3 or 4 on the spin, then things might get interesting.

I'd love Arsenal to also get their act in order........and for us to beat Man Utd in March, to give Arsenal a helping hand to the title.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:30:31 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
I forgot about their games in hand. I was getting a bit carried away.it's a funny old game though. I've been to the Europa league games this year and although it's been good to see the youngsters get a run out the grounds only been half full and the atmosphere hasn't been great. We've had some great champions league nights in recent times and it would be great to see them again next season although I'm probably getting carried away again

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 11, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
I'm expecting a good game from Lucas tomorrow (if he's not too tired), must be buzzing after a busy 90 mins. in the Stade de France on Wednesday.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
Kuyt or Johnson to score first 3-0. I'm hoping Suarez will start and we play the same formation. Maybe put him in instead of maxi

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 11, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
I hope after last weeks result some of the players dont just think they have to turn up tomorrow to get the win. Complacency is my big worry. I'm finding it hard to see past a 2 or 3 nil socreline but my head is ruling this time and im going for a narrow 2-1 win. Hopefully its not so close but I will just be very interested inseeing how the players cope after the Chelsea win.

If Fulham and Sunderland were to take points off Chelsea and Spurs then the door for fourth could creep open again.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 11, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »
if murdoch's empire were to crash in the morning, I would be cracking open a bottle of bubbly, ASI.

i cancelled my membership 5 years ago.  I had been with sky since the start (late 80s).  But I was just fed up with the ghastly money in football.
That's a brave move dude. I love the footie too much to do that. Besides, it would need thousands to do it and there's no chance of that despite the recession.

if this madness goes on unchecked, then we are heading for the american sports model - where the fees and wages are even more ghastly that the english premiership.

and despite all the money at present in football - clubs still are stupid enough to be operating at massive losses.

sanity needs to be restored.

Are you sure there are many clubs with massive losses? Chelsea and City certainly, Spurs possibly. But the rest are probably reasonably sensible. Manure make money, it's only the owners that are responsible for the debt. I'm pleased to say we must be making quite a bit with the recent transfer action resulting in a near-zero balance and profits up with fans buying from the club again.

Agents are the enemy as well and should be used as target practice. They cause more player unrest than anything.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
Kuyt or Johnson to score first 3-0. I'm hoping Suarez will start and we play the same formation. Maybe put him in instead of maxi

That's my prediction too Kopite. I also fancy Meireles to get one.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 11, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »
Meireles looks to be a snip at 12 million. He's been a revelation under kenny. I think his previous best goal return in a season was 4 or five!!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
I cancelled my Sky subscription a long time back too. The fees got out of hand.

I catch most games in the pub or at a mates. Ive also just been introduced to www.liveonlinefooty.com. Its a stream but if you have a decent internet connection its practically flawless. I hook my laptop to the tv. You get every Pool game as well as any other PL game, spanish league, pay per view boxing , ufc etc. Only 3 pounds a month which helps and you only have to sign up for two months at a time. It numbs the pain of refusing to get Sky.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 12, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
That's it as far as 4th goes. Extremly disappointing result and to some extent performance. Fair enough their goal should've been disallowed for off-side, but you gorra beat this bunch of crap at home even if you miss Kuijt, Agger, Meireles and Gerrard (referring to the last half hour of the game).

We make it too difficult for ourselves sometime. I think this pass'n move footy is being taken a step too far sometime. We're crap full stop.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 12, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »
I'm not overly surprised by the result because after a good win away to Wolves our performance against Fulham was poor so I was afraid after the Chelsea game it wouldnt be as straight forward as we would have liked.

I think today reconfirms that although our first 11 isnt bad our squad is not top 4 quality. We have too many players that do alright when our top men are in the team but cant step up and make the difference when the top men are out.

We talked about Lucas earlier and how his performances have improved of late. Today for me he didnt play badly but again with Gerrard absent and Meireles going off he didnt step up and help to take control of the game when we needed to. You wont win anything with players that you cant rely on to perform week in week out and unless he can find that consistency I think he needs to be replaced or else used more sparingly as a squad player if we can bring in better players that can.

Jovanovic for me is a headless chicken. I'd prefer to see the likes of Pacheco coming on than seeing him becuase again hes not Liverpool quality. Skrtel is another. Too many mistakes for a top central defender and theres always that element of doubt that hes going to mess up or miss time a tackle. For me again not Liverpool quality.

Maxi another that tends not to offer enough without the big names. Aurelio is a back up at best. 

This isnt a rant or anything of the sorts. I think results like this will be a feature for the team every now and then until we can get better quality players in. I'm just disappointed that after a superb result at chelsea and taking the lead at Anfield that certain players cant raise thier games in the absence of key men.