August 14, 2020, 01:41:27 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193844 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #690 on: February 14, 2011, 06:37:21 PM »
In response to both you and ASI. As I said the sign of a quality squad is, at least where I come from, ability to rise to the ocassion when it is expected. You see that's the most profound syndrom of the "Liverpool disease" - never be up for it when it matters, always upset expectations when it wasn't on the cards.

Never rise to the occasion? Istanbul 2005 ring any bells? I'm speechless. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but your arguments hold no water at all.

Aurelio - I think is a good player in bottom but features to regurarly to contribute.
I've read this a few times and still can't work out what you're trying to say. Can you elaborate?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 15, 2011, 09:00:33 AM »
are you serious?  Have you not been watching chelsea implode this season?  United also had a very dodgy first few months as well, by their high standards.  Arsenal have had several poor results (look at the 4-4 draw last week at newcastle)

There was this little word - home - I think it was. You obviously aren't listening to what I'm trying to say. I thought I said all along any team will have an ocassional day off. The top teams won't have it tho, against the Wigan's of this world in a game that really is a cup final. Please.

well, if I recall you didn't rate (in the past) lads like Kuyt either.

I find that offensive mate. I've always rated Kuijt as a senior player. I've always considered him an unsung hero. He almost never have a poor game, unfortunately Wigan last weekend was a very rare exception.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 15, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
If it we're not for the poor penalty kick by Dempey lastnight, Chelsea (A supposed top team) would have lost against lowly placed Fulham 1 nil.

So going by your statement above I guess Chelsea are not a top team and that lastnight they lost their cup final by dropping 2 points.

ps.  That Davis Luiz fella looks brilliant apart from one mistake at the end (giving away the penalty).  Kinda wishing we had sneaked in and bought him under the noses of Chelsea.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
There was this little word - home - I think it was. You obviously aren't listening to what I'm trying to say. I thought I said all along any team will have an ocassional day off. The top teams won't have it tho, against the Wigan's of this world in a game that really is a cup final. Please.

I find that offensive mate. I've always rated Kuijt as a senior player. I've always considered him an unsung hero. He almost never have a poor game, unfortunately Wigan last weekend was a very rare exception.

my apologies, Martin.  I thought it was you (re Kuyt).  Sorry.

I agree with you - in that, home form wins titles.  For example, look at United's away form - it is bad.  Based ontheir away form, they would strugglke to finish top 8.  But it is their home form that is enabling them to walk to the title.  Their 14 home games have resulted in 13 wins and a draw.  That type of form at home demolishes the competition in any season.

But beyond Man Utd, this season, all the other clubs have normal home form - i.e. they lose an occasional game and draw some matches.  This is par for the course.  And this is where we are at.  By your definition then, one team in the premiership is a top team (Man Utd), and the other 19 teams are mediocre.  That is an extremely polarised perspective.  Life isn't black and white.  You are not either a hero or a loser.......a top team or a mediocre one.

When you call our squad mediocre, you are always gonna get criticised.  We are far from mediocre.  We are rebuilding a top squad, making it even better. 

Of our last 5 premiership games, we have won 4 (including a great victory at Chelsea) and drawn 1.  That is reason to be cheerful.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:47:52 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 15, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »
Tomkins is on a rant this week!

"Each week I lose count of the times people tell me that Lucas is shed, even after games in which he won all of his tackles and had a 90% pass completion rate, including passes in all directions."

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/02/liverpool-twitter-and-rage/

He also mentions this piece:

"With Dalglish, the players, like the fans, know what they are about to receive and that's what put a smile on their faces. They were right all along but only now does anyone acknowledge their footballing understanding and accede that maybe it wasn't all about their blind, arrogant faith in a saviour. Hodgson's limited ideals may work in the lesser clubs, with lesser players, but at the better clubs, with the better players, they plainly fell short."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-last-word-hodgson-has-found-his-level-with-west-brom-2213246.html

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 15, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
my apologies, Martin.  I thought it was you (re Kuyt).  Sorry.

I agree with you - in that, home form wins titles.  For example, look at United's away form - it is bad.  Based ontheir away form, they would strugglke to finish top 8.  But it is their home form that is enabling them to walk to the title.  Their 14 home games have resulted in 13 wins and a draw.  That type of form at home demolishes the competition in any season.

But beyond Man Utd, this season, all the other clubs have normal home form - i.e. they lose an occasional game and draw some matches.  This is par for the course.  And this is where we are at.  By your definition then, one team in the premiership is a top team (Man Utd), and the other 19 teams are mediocre.  That is an extremely polarised perspective.  Life isn't black and white.  You are not either a hero or a loser.......a top team or a mediocre one.

When you call our squad mediocre, you are always gonna get criticised.  We are far from mediocre.  We are rebuilding a top squad, making it even better. 

Of our last 5 premiership games, we have won 4 (including a great victory at Chelsea) and drawn 1.  That is reason to be cheerful.

One final attempt. Yes, our form, if you chose to look at our last 5 games, is great, if not the best in the PL. That wasn't my point, however. Neither was it my point good teams doesn't lose the ocassional game at home. My point was that, with the possible exception of Spurs, you won't see either of ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal or City drop points if winning at home against Wigan is what stands between them and 1st or 4th.

If you read a few posts back you see I don't say at all anything less than 1st is mediocrity. I am just saying only a mediocre side drop points against Wigan at home given the  fact it had a  chance to claw back a couple of points in the struggle for 4th. Now, exit Gerrard, Agger and Meireles and we did nothing really (as a team) to claim the points. Is that good enough for you, mate?

One fine and beautiful day when we celebrate no 19 and reflect on the many years that passed between it and no. 18 we're gonna ask ourselves: "what were we thinking we could win the title with players like Lucas, Maxi, Skrtel ... (Continue to add the names of the more than 200 mediocre players that has come and gone for the past 12 years.)"

Can you now see my point?  I know my Swenglish sometimes makes it difficult for you lot but this is prolly the best I can do to put it the way I see it. I'm old enough to have seen us win it 8 times and nothing tells me we're even close to have a squad good enough to repeat that feat anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong, tho.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #696 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »
You might have a point but judge the squad on September 1st next season. Kenny will turn this squad around. They'll be plenty of movement in and out in the summer. There's no doubt in my mind that the owners will want us right back up there challenging for trophies next season and spend what's necessary to do so

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
Has any one seen raheem sterling against Southend in the youth cup the other night? If you haven't google it. You'll like what u see. This lad is very special

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
Has any one seen raheem sterling against Southend in the youth cup the other night? If you haven't google it. You'll like what u see. This lad is very special
I saw his goals earlier this evening. Very impressive. Good enough for 1st team? Probably. Old enough? Not sure in an away game with potentially hostile crowd. But hey, if we're 2 or 3 nil up with 30 mins to go then send him on. Not sure I'd start with him.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2011, 12:11:23 AM »
If he doesn't get on it will still be great experience for him and a huge boost for all the younger players as they will see there is a chance of recognition if they work hard.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:32 AM »
He's only been allowed to go because he's on half term from school!! I see bits of michael Owen in him quick feet with pace. If we can get a good result tomorrow he might feature some part in the home leg. But like you say it'll be a great experience for the lad

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 17, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Sweet baby Jesus an'all, that was a borefest if there was ever one. I know some will say we wen't there to get a point and job done. Funny tho, I got the feeling we could've played for a month without scoring. I pity those fellow reds who travelled all the way and paid an incredible 145 quid to witness this misery. Looks like the fine form we showed was just temporary. Hammers will hammer us I reckon.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »
Slightly different gameplan in a two-legged tie when there's no points to play for, but I thought we were rather negative and I'm not a fan of starting a game 0-0 when if the opposition score 1 you then need 2.

Martin, I don't think this game has any bearing on how we'll perform in Premier League game and I expect us to step it up next Thursday and prepare ourselves nicely for the Hammers.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:09 PM »
145 quid a ticket is ridiculous. With a hotel, flight, food and beer that's a very costly trip. Not the best performance to go and watch. Nobody really a had a good day. I don't want to be too critical of joe cole because he's coming back from an injury but he doesn't look anything like the player he use to be.

But on a positive it was good to see Wilson given a game and get a clean sheet.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:37 AM »
Horrific game but I suppose there are a couple of positives you can take from this tie. Clean sheet, cole and Wilson getting a run, the young lads travelling with the squad and the fact that Kenny gets another chance to see the players at his disposal.

It wouldnt be fair to single players out for criticism because there werent many good performances.

I do think though the squad still needs as many as 5 or 6 top players for us to even suggest we are good enough to put in some sort of challenge.

I'm not sure why Pacheco doesnt get a look in, I wonder if Kenny just doesnt fancy him. I'm begining to think he may go the same way of Le Tallec, Pongolle etc.

What players do you think Kenny may possibly let go in the summer? These arent necessarily players i want to see go but i think they are major candidates;

Skrtel, Soto, Maxi, Cole, Aurelio, Ngog, Poulsen, Konchesky, Jovanovic, Pacheco, Spearing, Aquilani. I'm sure theres probably more players with insecure futures but thats all that comes to mind for now.