August 14, 2020, 01:17:46 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193817 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #720 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
Michael Owen was 17.5 when he scored his first senior goal for LFC. Robbie Fowler was 18. I think there's a reasonable chance young Sterling will make his debut in the first team before his 17th birthday on 8 December 2011.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #721 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »
I've heard plenty of people saying there really could be 4 or 5 lads in the under 18's that could make the first team. We havent heard that for a while.it's great news

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »

We can all analyse things til the cows come home.  But overall one has to be positive about things.  Otherwise what is the point of getting out of bed in the morning. 

Exactly...rome wasn't built in a day and all that but if you compare us to what we were like back in early october there is a vast difference in outlook and prospects...

No Yankee swindlers, no Roy and no player bemoaning his lot whilst collecting 120 k a week...
Replaced with 2 players who look hungry (well Suarez anyways and i have to be optimistic about Carroll), smart owners willing to slap down the cash if needed and Kenny at the helm who knows what he's doing...

that remark from Dude about consistency says it all about Manure in the last 2/3 years when you look at their midfield and are amazed that they still get a spawny winner in the last 5 minutes of extra time...Kenny has that same mentality of winning...Roy...didn't...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 22, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
agreed, barticus, we have much to be positive about.  The toxic duo are gone.  That piece of news alone should be enough for any red fan to raise a pint of beer in triumph (or vauxhall).  Hicks and Gillett were within an inch of killing Liverpool FC.

yes, consistency is the key to ongoing success.  Fergie treats his lads like school-kids.  he is the headmaster and woe betide any of them, if they turn in a bad performance....or go against what he instructed.

BTW how is Spain these days?  Warm or cold?  Any word of the Spanish rising up?  (ala Libya, Egypt, etc)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:42:39 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 22, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »
It's not just the 'now' we have to rejoice in but the fact we have a stable, solid base to build on going forward.
This is the best it's been since before David Moores ascended to his 'throne'.

Kenny brings with him two things which should see our future built upon. Firstly, the owners will be getting the best possible close up demonstration of the complete 'Liverpool Way' and I'd imagine that this whole ethos will be adopted as our off field 'philosphy' and way of working. Secondly, by re-introducing the style of football he has, and will surely build on it, again the owners will have seen the type of football the fans respond to, and again, I'd imagine that this will be adopted as the 'onfield' philosphy and any managers that follow will have to be a fully paid up disciple.

Kenny's legacy will not be about any individual player brought to or through the club or any trophies he may win, but a restoration of the philosphy, both on and off the field, that our great club was built upon.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #725 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
Has anyone seen the picture of kenny and Andy Carroll at the boyzone concert in liverpool last night? It's not a wind up. They really did go. Just shows kenny will go the extra mile to help players bed in. I don't think i'd go that far!! What a man. If any ones going to get the best out of Carroll the king will

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 22, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
Way above and beyond the call of duty.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 23, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »
It's not just the 'now' we have to rejoice in but the fact we have a stable, solid base to build on going forward.
This is the best it's been since before David Moores ascended to his 'throne'.

Kenny brings with him two things which should see our future built upon. Firstly, the owners will be getting the best possible close up demonstration of the complete 'Liverpool Way' and I'd imagine that this whole ethos will be adopted as our off field 'philosphy' and way of working. Secondly, by re-introducing the style of football he has, and will surely build on it, again the owners will have seen the type of football the fans respond to, and again, I'd imagine that this will be adopted as the 'onfield' philosphy and any managers that follow will have to be a fully paid up disciple.

Kenny's legacy will not be about any individual player brought to or through the club or any trophies he may win, but a restoration of the philosphy, both on and off the field, that our great club was built upon.

good post, Tes.

I was unsure about Kenny coming back.  But wow, has he been a breath of fresh air.

It is obvious that for Kenny, this is not any old job...this is not a celtic or a newcastle.  This is LIVERPOOL.  This is his passion, his reason for being.

And like you say, he is (by words and action) showing the owners, and younger fans, what the Liverpool way of doing things is all about.

It is just a pity that we had a few months of Roy.....otherwise, we may well be looking at playing CL football next season.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 23, 2011, 12:47:38 AM »
Has anyone seen the picture of kenny and Andy Carroll at the boyzone concert in liverpool last night? It's not a wind up. They really did go. Just shows kenny will go the extra mile to help players bed in. I don't think i'd go that far!! What a man. If any ones going to get the best out of Carroll the king will

I saw that, kopite.

BoyZone  FFS.     This is a man who will go the extra mile.   ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:25 AM »
The most worrying aspect is who's idea it was. If it was Kenny's, well, words just fail me. If it was Andy Carroll's, there goes his hardman image, and he'll never scare a Premier League centre half again.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
BTW how is Spain these days?  Warm or cold?  Any word of the Spanish rising up?  (ala Libya, Egypt, etc)

It's been glorious...boxing day was 26 C...rain falling monsoonlike but only at night only to provide crystal clear cerulean blue skies in the morning...as i gaze over the mountains of the sierra tejada and watch as the swallows and swifts return...in the distance the sounds of the goat herd as it ambles down to the sea...and the flute of the knife grinder haunts the streets as he calls for trade (legend has it that when he plays the winds will come)...
yeah its not bad..

as for uprisings they'll do it over things like cigs and beer as they're very protective over their 30 year old democracy...
on a geopolitical note the only thing i'm concerned about is the machinations of the elite and the games they play...uprising is fine but not if the purity of those feelings is then led down the controlled rebellion path and all that changes are faces...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:41:56 AM by barticus »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »

it could be worse...at least it wasn't Westlife...or even worse 'A Nu Kidz on de Blok' 20 year reunion...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 23, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »
.........or Bros.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 24, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »
Was assuming the time for kick off of Liverpool vs Sparta Prague was as normal...like 8pm gmt or so....but just checked channel 5 and its 6 pm gmt and 7 pm in europe, just in case any of you lot had assumed..

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
.........or Bros.

Hmmm Andy Carroll and Bros....

*sings Bros* 'When will i get my pictures in the paperssssss? I can't answer, i can't answer that'....for me Andy Carroll appearing even more in the tabloid press is one thing i'd like to avoid...

p.s. oh and before any of you start accusing me of having the 'look in/smash hits' specials of the brothers Goss...those songs (and the lyrics) were firmly imprinted in my psyche by the incessant playing of said records by my younger sister...
though i will have to admit that matt goss was quite good in Hellboy 2 as the elf prince..