September 26, 2020, 09:23:41 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 199869 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #735 on: February 24, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
Your amongst friends on here barticus, theres no need to blame your little sister for your in depth knowledge of matt goss!!

With regards to Carroll and the tabloids. Liverpool is very similar to Newcastle. It can be a gold fish bowl. But kenny and stevie have plenty of experience of this and its up to them to steer him in the right direction. I think that's what kennys trying to do by helping him bed in by taking him to concerts. He's a young lad and is going to want to let his hair down now and again. so as long as he's told who he can and can't trust aswell as the right places to go, I hope he'll be ok

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
It's been glorious...boxing day was 26 C...rain falling monsoonlike but only at night only to provide crystal clear cerulean blue skies in the morning...as i gaze over the mountains of the sierra tejada and watch as the swallows and swifts return...in the distance the sounds of the goat herd as it ambles down to the sea...and the flute of the knife grinder haunts the streets as he calls for trade (legend has it that when he plays the winds will come)...
yeah its not bad..

as for uprisings they'll do it over things like cigs and beer as they're very protective over their 30 year old democracy...
on a geopolitical note the only thing i'm concerned about is the machinations of the elite and the games they play...uprising is fine but not if the purity of those feelings is then led down the controlled rebellion path and all that changes are faces...

sounds like great weather there, Barticus.  Same here.  Summer officially started (i.e. dry season) in mid December.  But we have had the odd very short shower every few days, which is not normal (climate change here too).  But I love it.  It keeps things green.   

Once you get used to having a great climate, I can never imagine going back to dreary grey cold depressing UK.

You paint a beautiful picture of flute sounds, swallows, goats ambling down to the sea.  We outta swap pictures sometime of our respective locations.

Re uprisings.  I think they will spread into southern europe.  Libya about to fall.  I suspect Greece could well see major problems.  The French are always ready to get heated up.  We do need major change.....change that is real, not merely different faces (as you say).  I hope it is peaceful.

well, off to buy lunch - in time to get back and watch the Liverpool game live.

If I want to, I can watch so much live football here....endless 24 hour if you wanted it.  As well as the usual premiership, scottish, italian, spanish games....and obviously CL and Europa Cup matches live.....we also have the CL equivalent in central/southern america.  They call it the Copa Libertadores.  It is massive.....like the CL in Europe.  Something like 8 groups of 4 teams.  The teams are the top teams from across central and south america.  All the games are shown live.  It's funny, they use the same theme music as is used across Europe, for the Champions League games (that operatic sounding theme).  Similar tv graphics too.

It's also funny - but there is also a Liverpool football team here (from Uruguay IIRC)....and an Arsenal (from Argentina IIRC)

And yes, my satellite company, that I subscribe to, is called Sky.  :)

I pay something like 30 dollars per month - and get just about everything.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 24, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
1-0 aggregate......we progress in Europe.

workmanlike, rigid, uninspiring performance.

we showed little imagination tonight. 

I thought ngog was very poor - as was joe cole.  They would not be in my starting line-up, if I had better players to call upon.

kelly looked good in the first half - some good crosses.

was a tad scared, that in those final five minutes, we did not take the ball to the corners and waste time.  It was end to end for the final minutes.  That was ill-advised.  We need leadership on the pitch.

I have a real soft spot for Kyrgiakos.  The lad never moans.  He will give everything for the cause.  He has no airs, graces or ego.  What a steal for 1.5 million. 

We are through.  But based on this two-legged performance, we will need to play a lot better, if we hope to go any further in Europe.  But like the Italians and Germans (in world cups), we don't need to play well to win it....only merely to do enough to get through each round. 

We live to fight another night.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:08:27 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Kyriakos was close to man of the match for me. You can't beat a late winner at the kop end so kuyt gets it. For that and his work rate. His legs will drop off soon if he's not careful

Tickets now available for the final on the uefa website by the way

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
Pretty much agree with your view dude. I thought Cole did okay in 2nd half considering his lack of matches. Ngog was naughty to take that shot when Cole was better positioned. And again, near the end with a bit more fitness he would have buried that chance.

Soto is turning into a cult hero. Bit like Igor Biscan! I'd keep him for another season irrespective of who we get in the summer. His attitude is to be admired. That'll rub off on the youngsters.

Sparta were a bit industrial. Niggly fouls on Agger and Kelly were unneccesary. Hopefully they'll recover for Sunday. I fancy Carroll to get some time against WHU. 30 mins probably.

After watching the CL games in Europe and the fans being fenced in like animals what a contrast at Anfield with no fences, a vocal Kop and good away fans. Excellent advert for English stadiums and fan behaviour.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 24, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
4th place or win the Europa league?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 24, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
4th might not get a champions league place next season. Theoretically if Chelsea or spurs finish 5th but were to win the champions league the place in next years competition would go to them

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 25, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
Look-in. That's a blast from the past.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
4th might not get a champions league place next season. Theoretically if Chelsea or spurs finish 5th but were to win the champions league the place in next years competition would go to them

If Arsenal win at the weekend, then I think one of the UEFA Cup spots goes to Birmingham. Not 100%, but that's definately the case with the FA Cup.

UEFA Cup. It's a trophy, it raises our profile once again in Europe and we're assured of European football. Additionally, at this point in our re-building do we really want players who want to play in the CL first and for LFC second?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Is that official Kopite? I knew us finishing 5th in 2006 set a precedent as holders who could not defend their trophy but I hadn't realised UEFA had made rule changes. Or is it down to the Premier League / FA who they nominate?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »
It's a maximum of 4 teams per country which was bought in after we won it and failed to qualify through the league. The winners now definately get the chance to defend it. So that could happen this year. although highly unlikely

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »
It's a maximum of 4 teams per country which was bought in after we won it and failed to qualify through the league. The winners now definately get the chance to defend it. So that could happen this year. although highly unlikely
Thanks. My money's on Barcelona with Bayern or Arsenal  as possibles if they get through in the Nu Camp. I don't even want to think about the shower up the East Lancs Road winning it with that dreadful squad of theirs.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 27, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
This is turning into a horror show. 2-0 down with Kelly done his hamstring an Meireles with a crocked knee. What's happened to the pass and move football? This is like it was under Hodgson.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 27, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
Again. Outplayed, outclassed, outsmarted, outscored, outwilled, out-what-have-you against relegation fodder. Next weekend we'll get final proof how mediocre we really are when we'll beat ManU. We beat Chelsea away (against all odds) just to drop points at home against Wigan, today we were played off the pitch just to beat ManU next weekend. That's the trademark of an inept, incosistent and mediocre side like ourselves. You can say what you want but you won't see any of the top 6 teams get so outplayed and outclassed as we were today against opposition like this.

Fact of the matter is we're totally disjointed. There is nothing suggesting we're engaged in something called a team-sport. We're a bunch of individualists depending completely and solely on the impact of individuals. I don't care what you say but today (as is almost always the case) it was enough for the Hammers to WANT to win it. They won EVERY second ball, they won EVERY challenge when it mattered. It was the brilliance of Suarez that for a moment had us dreaming of a point until the inept, worthless and pathetic Skrtel had his say. Again, we NEVER looked like a TEAM that could get anything from this game. Why? Because we're a mediocre team who will finish again in a mediocre position, MIND YOU ALL it ain't Roy's fault. It's the horrible mismanagement of this club for years on end that has brought us into a position where we're being outplayed of Blackpool, Wigan, Fulham, West Ham, Wolves what have you. Why? Because they wanted it more than us. That's enough to get a point or three from Liverpool these days.

Player criticism:

Reina - Thought he was a tad slow on their first and third. It's hardly his fault this team can't cope tho.

Kelly - nothing bad nothing special. Was very sad to se him get badly injured. That's prolly the rest of the season on the sidelines for his part.

Carra - Hoof it Carra hoof it. I don't know, I know he's a legend as far as passion and will goes. Footywise he'd struggle to play Chamionship footy. Too many basic errors to be good enough to play for this club.

Skrtel - Is and has been a liability for most of this season. End of.

Wilson - Keeps it simple. Too simple?

Lucas - I don't know. He offers nothing. I don't think any of our CM's has been played as consistently as him. Yet he offers nothing, nothing, nothing. You got to ask more than that of a Liverpool CM.

Gerrard - worst game of the season? For everything he got right he made 10 errors.

Meirerles - Good but not good enough.

Kuijt - As against Sparta he started disastrous and got better.

Johnson - arguably our best player today.

Suarez - Struggled with the physical aspect of the game. Showed he's a class act tho and will get better as soon as the deadwood behind him is cleared out.

Cole - What can you say?

All in all I hope this is a wake up call. We are so mediocre it hurts. We have no cohesion, no consistency, no structure, no will, nothing. Yet people say I'm unfair when I say we're mediocre. Give me proof of the opposite, please.

It's not a case of "NEVER being content".

Rant over.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:49:01 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 27, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
Again. Outplayed, outclassed, outsmarted, outscored, outwilled, out-what-have-you against relegation fodder.

Bitch Bitch Bitch Moan Moan Moan

Is that all you ever do? Yeah I'm disappointed with the result like everyone else but apart from the recent win at Chelski you've done nothing but criticise, why don't you write to the Liverpool board and tell them exactly where they are going wrong and how you'd fix it on a shoestring budget and the players you'd bring in to replace the mediocrity that you find throughout the squad with your own brand of fantasy football
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla