August 13, 2020, 09:44:15 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193486 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #765 on: March 01, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »
ROFL, Hilarious Dude!

The West Ham result was very disappointing though not entirely unexpected!

FFS, this guy Wilson thrown in at the deep end......Jamie C could hardly focus on his own game having to keep fight fires that Wilson was creating (However, it's a bit scary how easily he was beaten by Cole for the Winner)

Gerrard wasn't at the races.....v. poor (does way more harm than good!)

Great to see Kelly bombing down the wing though and the new system also appears to suit Johnson!

It's funny Suarez needs time to adjust to the physicality of the Prem. (a smart player, with an eye for goal), but during this time defenders will be adjusting to him. Interesting to see who comes out on top!

Anyway, my impression from the game was that we have a team that loves to do the complicated flicks (Cole, Suarez, Meireles, Gerrard).....retaining possession and controlling the game away from home needs to be drilled in to them! GET THE BASICS RIGHT!!

Credit to West Ham, Avram Grant, & Scotty Parker.....They gave us a lesson in winning football games!

agreed, Ed.

One has to control matches (especially away from home).  And we need 2 or 3 senior players who will give that type of leadership on the pitch.  It's no surprise (to me) that after such a great run, conceding only one offside goal, that we get walked over when Gerrard returns.  West Ham bossed the middle.  World class, my ar.se.

And Cole was never a team player at west ham of chelsea....so why do we expect him to have changed, in his latter career years, at Liverpool.  Never a Liverpool level starting player.

Carra, as much as I love him, was past it 3 years ago.  Never a fast defender, he is now easily exposed.

We have plenty of top class players.....and the team will be augmented in the summer.  I am a massive fan of Reina and Kuyt (always my first names on the team sheet).  I love Moreless and Agger (when fit).  Skiless is a decent player (when in tandem with an intelligent partner).  Kelly can be a top player.  Suarez is top drawer.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 01, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Just because my thoughts aren't kosher, doesn't mean they're not correct. I have the evidence to back up what I'm saying. GH had us play hoofball, Rafa never understood the importance of man management and togetherness hence we had nothing to show last spring while 4th was still in the pot. I can pick at least 15 games last season where you couldn't tell us from a bottom half side. Each club has a couple of those games, not as many as we do.

We have a squad, we have a line-up, but we don't have a TEAM. You can think of me whatever you want, I don't care. Fact of the matter is our record the past 18 months speaks for itself. I have no interest in deluding myself to think we're a topside when there's so little evidence to support such a stance.

Let the namecalling commence.

YOU are the one who comes into a Liverpool forum and constantly berates the club, with terms like mediocre and relegation fodder.  You ALWAYS put us down.  You NEVER see anything positive.  Anyone objectively looking on, would possibly guess that you were manic depressive (assuming, that is, that you are indeed, a Liverpool FC fan).

You put Rafa down.  Let me tell you something.  Rafa was our finest boss since Bob Paisley  IMHO. 

Do you have absolutely ANYTHING positive to say?

Is the groundsman doing a decent job with the grass at Anfield?  Or perhaps he's using too much water and the water bill is too high?

Is the type of grass-seed to your liking, possibly?  What about the flags at the corner spots?  Maybe the white line markings are up to scratch?  Are the plastic seats comfy enough?   Maybe the fast food in the ground is half decent?  What about the beer?  Maybe the singing is fantastic, or the chants?

Is there any fri.gging thing you like at Anfield?

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #767 on: March 01, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »
Now you mention it the scouse pie is always far to dry and the bottles of carlsberg are far too gassy. We need dude on the new fan committee to get it sorted

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
Just because my thoughts aren't kosher, doesn't mean they're not correct. I have the evidence to back up what I'm saying. GH had us play hoofball, Rafa never understood the importance of man management and togetherness hence we had nothing to show last spring while 4th was still in the pot. I can pick at least 15 games last season where you couldn't tell us from a bottom half side. Each club has a couple of those games, not as many as we do.

We have a squad, we have a line-up, but we don't have a TEAM. You can think of me whatever you want, I don't care. Fact of the matter is our record the past 18 months speaks for itself. I have no interest in deluding myself to think we're a topside when there's so little evidence to support such a stance.

Let the namecalling commence.

Hi Martin, how are you keeping mate?

I do tend to agree with your sentiment there that for the last 10 years we have been more sci-fi analysis orientated than character orientated and team orientated. Individualistic skill has over taken team habits. Thus the reason why out of all the top clubs, we seem so ordinary, so often against ordinary clubs, because we have been built on individuals.

In the GH era we were built around Owen. Our basic strategy was a deep defensive line and long balls to heskey to knock down to Owen. That was our basic strategy under GH. Under Rafa it was based upon a system that he wanted to implement and that meant 2 defensive minded central midfielders, a lone striker and the 2 wide player supporting that lone striker. So yes for the past 10 years no doubt we have been built on a individualist basis.

So Martin when looking at that how can we undo 10 years of that in 1 year or 2 years? we need to rebuild again and start over and build a team, where the team comes first. With that comes good results like against chelsea and bad results like against west ham. Because whilst we find ourselves again we will have good times and bad times in trying to produce a team.

Where we differ Martin is that I really am optimistic for the future, I really think its bright. I do believe we have the right people at the club to turn us around and it will take time. Not 1 month, 2 months or 3 months. More like 1 year or 2 years to reach the level of 08/09 but when we do reach that level again, we will be better because we will be a team that has the mixture of team spirit and character with that tactical acumen needed.

You say Top 4 was there for the taking this season and the back end of last season. I respectfully disagree.

Firstly at the back end of last season we were spent, physically and emotionally and we were out of energy. We mathematically had opportunities which we did not take, but you have to look deeper than saying we weren't willing enough to take it. The team was finished and Rafa was finished so top 4 was always a losing battle.

This season was about survival off the pitch and regaining ourselves on it. I never once expected us to have a tilt at the top 4 this season as I didn't think our squad or manager was good enough. Whether you like it or not this season was about survival as a club off the pitch and re-emerging again after our 4 year war with the previous owners. To start a strategy for the future and begin the rebuilding process.

After 10 years of disappoint I do understand how you feel Martin as I felt the same up until January. But as I said in the thread I started, which I'd love to see your comments on Martin, I really do believe these are exciting times to support LFC.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
Guys why do you keep saying ten years of disappointment? Istanbul was one of greatest nights of my life. And possibly our greatest European cup apart from the first. Athens was a good laugh even though we lost.Cardiff 06 was a great day out, so was Cardiff 2001 for the league and FA cup. I didn't go to dortmund but everyone who did loved the trip. Your making it sound like we've been supporting Newcastle for the past decade. Wake up and get some realism into yourself

I sometimes think some of the older generation were so lucky to have seen the teams of the 70's and 80's, that ever since our teams get compared to them. Very unrealistic. Yes we would all love to see us dominate once more but given the global reach and finance that's now come in to the English game that's unlikely to happen again.

I'm actually starting to think Martin is purely trying to make everyone rise to his depressing bait

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »
Now you mention it the scouse pie is always far to dry and the bottles of carlsberg are far too gassy. We need dude on the new fan committee to get it sorted

:D

i'd feel like selwyn froggitt - a country bloke, on some high faluting anfield committee (and hopelessly out of my depth re how dry or wet the wines are).

now ask me about cornish pasties, fried bread, or sausage suppers, and I'd be in my element.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:10:37 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »
LOL.

Man u without vidic and possibly rio for sunday.So it could be o'shea and smalling Sunday! I'd luv it if carrol can get on the bench. 15 mins of him against them centre backs could be entertaining

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 01, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
Guys why do you keep saying ten years of disappointment? Istanbul was one of greatest nights of my life. And possibly our greatest European cup apart from the first. Athens was a good laugh even though we lost.Cardiff 06 was a great day out, so was Cardiff 2001 for the league and FA cup. I didn't go to dortmund but everyone who did loved the trip. Your making it sound like we've been supporting Newcastle for the past decade. Wake up and get some realism into yourself

I sometimes think some of the older generation were so lucky to have seen the teams of the 70's and 80's, that ever since our teams get compared to them. Very unrealistic. Yes we would all love to see us dominate once more but given the global reach and finance that's now come in to the English game that's unlikely to happen again.

I'm actually starting to think Martin is purely trying to make everyone rise to his depressing bait

I have reached a similar conclusion, kopite.

My suspicion is that he is a troll - possibly a United fan.

And his sci-fi mate, who has just joined the forum, after ten years of supposed disappointing times at Anfield, is another puppet in this game.

No-one (martin) could be so utterly manically depressively negative about the club and be normal. 

He needs to buy the Golden Gordon DVD of Ripping Yarns (Michael Palin) and see what support for your club really means.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »
Two European Cup Finals in 3 seasons. The only thing noticable by it's absent is mediocrity.

We all know the lack of a league title or a sustained challenge of several seasons is disappointing, but I have a feeling that just down the road, 30 years after Taggart's departure, those fans will be feeling the same way some of us appear to now.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
Can't wait for sunday...no vidic, no rio 'white lines' ferdinand to be replaced by wes brown! I hope Carroll and Suarez play up front and we really go for the sods...Game on!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 02, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »
I have reached a similar conclusion, kopite.

My suspicion is that he is a troll - possibly a United fan.

And his sci-fi mate, who has just joined the forum, after ten years of supposed disappointing times at Anfield, is another puppet in this game.

No-one (martin) could be so utterly manically depressively negative about the club and be normal. 

He needs to buy the Golden Gordon DVD of Ripping Yarns (Michael Palin) and see what support for your club really means.

Your the puppet who kept drinking in the garbage GH and Rafa gave us - performance wise on the pitch. Whilst our european escapdes were fantastic and whilst Rafa gave me the greatest night of my life, by God, at least domestically our performances were not the way it should have been. Pass and move football is our DNA not frigging hoofball. Because we kept getting indivually great results it especially meant GH stood 2 years longer than he should and Rafa's time came to a natural end, so he didn't stay longer than he should.

Yes 10 years of dissapointment domestically, in the premier league, what Shankly called the Bread and Butter and what Paisley told his team after the 1981 european cup final after we finished 5th.

First is everything, second is nothing.........except the new breed who kept drinking the same frigging Kool-aid and believe the odd great result and top 4 is everything. The premier league is our bread and butter and its about time we made it so. So yes for the past 10 years except for 3 months in 2009, domestically it has been disappointing. Since the inception of the premier league, we've only in real terms, challenged for the title once - in 2009. Not good enough. Top 4 is great, but it should be the least of our expectations. Not our main expectation. After losing to Reading in 07/08 Rafa told was where he priority lay. GH never had the cajones to go for the title, instead playing safe hoof ball.

I am optimistic and excited by our future, so please don't lumber me in the same bracket.

Support means supporting the club through the good times and bad times and sticking with them no matter what. Which I do. It doesn't mean you have to drink the same, fornicating kool-aid shine-a-light that players and managers give you into believing something, that just isn't true.

Peace and Good Bye.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
 Theres a Simple reason for that IMHO. Our finances have dictated that we might have a good 11 but we haven't been able to have 20 quality players at the club like the mancs and Chelsea have done. So we might be able to do alright in a cup where our first XI are fit but a sustained challenge for the league just hasn't been possible. Moores was no rich arab and H&G, well we all know about them. Whether this changes in the next couple of years I don't know. Im hoping the financial fair play rules could help us but I'm convinced the likes of Chelsea and man city will find ways around them.

The history of a club isn't just down to how well they do in the league.open the match day programme next time you go to game and have a look inside at the clubs honours. Every one of them counts. Most teams in England would have loved to have that much success even in the last ten years.

On GH he seemed to get a pretty good reception at anfield this season for someone who did so badly!? Are 40000 redmen wrong? It went sour at the end of his reign but winning a uefa cup put us back in the European lime light aswell as transforming the professionalism of the club.

If the last ten years were bad how do you see the 90's?

Roy Evans played good football but what did we have to show for it? A league cup. Im not belittling that because like I've said they all count.

Just be careful what you wish for. We've won cups in the last decade but there's no guarantee we'll win anything in the next 10.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 02, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
Theres a Simple reason for that IMHO. Our finances have dictated that we might have a good 11 but we haven't been able to have 20 quality players at the club like the mancs and Chelsea have done. So we might be able to do alright in a cup where our first XI are fit but a sustained challenge for the league just hasn't been possible.

Yeah, that would reasonably be my take on it as well.....Shanks had the personality to build a club, not just a team. We profited for years on the foundations laid by him. So rather than focus solely on the manager and whether or not he's drinking Kool-aid, I feel that it is necessary to highlight the fact that the club itself i.e. the decision making and talent at all levels has a huge role to play!

My argument would be it takes a club to win the league....everyone working together week in week out for the whole season!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
Your the puppet who kept drinking in the garbage GH and Rafa gave us - performance wise on the pitch. Whilst our european escapdes were fantastic and whilst Rafa gave me the greatest night of my life, by God, at least domestically our performances were not the way it should have been. Pass and move football is our DNA not frigging hoofball. Because we kept getting indivually great results it especially meant GH stood 2 years longer than he should and Rafa's time came to a natural end, so he didn't stay longer than he should.

Yes 10 years of dissapointment domestically, in the premier league, what Shankly called the Bread and Butter and what Paisley told his team after the 1981 european cup final after we finished 5th.

First is everything, second is nothing.........except the new breed who kept drinking the same frigging Kool-aid and believe the odd great result and top 4 is everything. The premier league is our bread and butter and its about time we made it so. So yes for the past 10 years except for 3 months in 2009, domestically it has been disappointing. Since the inception of the premier league, we've only in real terms, challenged for the title once - in 2009. Not good enough. Top 4 is great, but it should be the least of our expectations. Not our main expectation. After losing to Reading in 07/08 Rafa told was where he priority lay. GH never had the cajones to go for the title, instead playing safe hoof ball.

I am optimistic and excited by our future, so please don't lumber me in the same bracket.

Support means supporting the club through the good times and bad times and sticking with them no matter what. Which I do. It doesn't mean you have to drink the same, fornicating kool-aid shine-a-light that players and managers give you into believing something, that just isn't true.

Peace and Good Bye.

you use the *kool-aid* reference a few times above.   That is a commonly used American term (for the type of brand-named soda drink that Jim Jones poisoned his cult with in French Guyana).  The term is rarely known by non-americans.  Hence, are you American?  Nothing wrong with being American.  One can find a decent one, given enough time.  But I do like to know who I am debating the club with.

You talk about under performance.  Name me one other club that has finished these past 10 years, nearly always in the top 4, on a net annual budget of approx 17 million pounds.  Go on, try.  And two CL finals thrown in to boot.  And an FA Cup.  Go on.  Name one other premiership club.  You can't. 

It is not so much we under-performed (we didn't).  Instead, we have been overtaken because of others throwing hundreds of millions at the title.  How could any sane business-man compete with the madness at Chelsea and Man Utd (and now Man City)? Would you prefer we did a Leeds United?  Take on massive debts, on the hope that we could keep the financial house of cards afloat by having never-ending success.

Would you run your houehold that way?  Would your wife be happy to see you buy a massive mansion, and a new BMW each year, plus go on endless foreign holidays - all on ever mounting vast sums of debt?  Perhaps you could keep up the façade for a while.  Perhaps your job earnings might pay off the interest for a while.  But sooner or later that house of cards will come crashing down.  Your scheme would be one of madness. 

No, I much prefer sanity.  I prefer  to spend what I can afford.  I prefer to build a bastion of invincibility, not a sand-hill of plastic nothingness, that will blow away with the first breezes of autumn. 

We have got rid of two carpet-bagging, lying buggers.  We have essentially no debt.  We have a fantastic base now to build upon. 

We HAD a fantastic manager - who you bizarrely think played *hoof-ball*.  Goodness knows what you'd make of someone like Sam Allardyce.  Rafa was the best since Paisley  IMHO.  The very best managers (the elite) have the perfect balance between defence and attack.  Rafa was the king of that.  I loved watching his teams.   Take it from me, you will most likely never again see a week where we hammer both Man Utd and Real Madrid, 4-1, playing them both off the park.  Rafa did that.

I am very optimistic re the future.  Kenny has galavanised the club.  Who knows if he can take us to the required level.  But I think he has to be given the opportunity across the next year or two, to try.

Given the fact that Hicks and Gillett, and their mountain of debt, have been kicked out of the club......and given that we have turned our season around, and given the superb lads we bought in January, and given that Kenny has been awesome, how in under goodness can you - and Martin Sheen - be so bleeding negative?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 03, 2011, 12:20:44 AM »
Kool-aid? What charitable cause is that for?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.