September 29, 2020, 07:05:30 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 200232 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #795 on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
Great win today and we could have won it by more. If Suarez plays like that every week we certainly wont be missing Torres much. Not only does he look a serious goal threat but he looks as if he will provide more goal scoring opportunities for other players than Torres ever did.

Martin I think you just have to savour wins like this and forget about last week becuase until we get more top class players in you are going to see great games like today but also the not so great ones like last week. Kenny cant change things over night but he sure is moving things in the right direction. As fans we just have to be patient and see the season out supporting the team. After that hopefully Kenny will get the long term deal he deserves and a decent level of investment in the team. Until then we will have to put up with the inconsistency.

Great to see Carroll finally make his debut. Good times are just around the corner!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 06, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
Dude,

Wonderful display of football today. Credit to everyone.

MartinMarx, leopard, spots change. I'm seriously doubting you're a genuine Liverpool supporter.  >:(

Why? I said it was a great result, a great performance a great everything. But I also happen to think all that greatness should be put into context. As I said, besides the bragging rights, what's the point in playing ManU off the park only to be played off the park ourselves against relegatin fodder inside a weak? I'm very happy we won, but it won't mean that much if we drop points at the Stadium of Lights after the break. I can't tell you how much it hurts to realise wins against Blackpool and West Hamj  would've seen us in contention for 4th.

Wolves up 1-0. :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 06, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Great win today and we could have won it by more. If Suarez plays like that every week we certainly wont be missing Torres much. Not only does he look a serious goal threat but he looks as if he will provide more goal scoring opportunities for other players than Torres ever did.

Martin I think you just have to savour wins like this and forget about last week becuase until we get more top class players in you are going to see great games like today but also the not so great ones like last week. Kenny cant change things over night but he sure is moving things in the right direction. As fans we just have to be patient and see the season out supporting the team. After that hopefully Kenny will get the long term deal he deserves and a decent level of investment in the team. Until then we will have to put up with the inconsistency.

Not too sure we need a total overhaul of the squad buying posh star players. Consistency is never a factor, it's the consequence of a teams quality and resilience. Today gave proof we have quality (even my Manc mate said it's ridiculous we're in 6th place playing like this). Resilience tho, is a totally different matter. For every game like today, we'll have to witness 10 where we look jaded and totally without any ideas. For the record, I'm starting to believe Kenny's the right man to instill that resilience. It'll take time tho. 3-4 years.

Also for the record, I'm as happy as the next red we made it more difficult for them to win no.19. But I'd wish nothing more than to see us repeat today's performance, resiliencewise, throughout the rest of this season.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 06, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
wonderful display of football, ASI.  I would love to have been at the game.

Wait 'til Kopite gets here. To use a Top Gear phrase he'll be 'nursing a semi!'

the tempo was amazing.....right from the off.  I was tired in the first half, just from watching the frantic pace.
Me too. Just shows what confidence can do to players.

Truth be told, we could have been 5 or 6 up by the end.
With a bit better finishing from Gerrard agreed. But he's carrying an injury so I won't be too hard on him.

Kenny is putting together a fantastic offence.  Though to make the best use of Carroll (who I liked the look of), we need a player who can cross a ball.
I'm sure we'll be in the market in the summer for two. And with a few quid to spend from the owners it promises to be an interesting time.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 06, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
Not too sure we need a total overhaul of the squad buying posh star players.

you have changed your tune.  You had been saying that we needed to start all over again from SCRATCH.

You claimed last week that:  "we need players with character and heart rather than high wage demands. We need player who truly hate to lose and especially so when in a red shirt. That's why I say we need to start over from scratch. We need a TEAM, not a group of individuals."

Today gave proof we have quality
but you have been going on for an eternity, claiming that the team is mediocre.

well which is it - mediocre or quality?  There is a bit of difference, you know.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 06, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Wait 'til Kopite gets here. To use a Top Gear phrase he'll be 'nursing a semi!'
Me too. Just shows what confidence can do to players.
With a bit better finishing from Gerrard agreed. But he's carrying an injury so I won't be too hard on him.
I'm sure we'll be in the market in the summer for two. And with a few quid to spend from the owners it promises to be an interesting time.

nursing a semi   :D :D

adams would be a great addition, I think.

who knows, rather than a natural winger, kenny may instead go for a top notch wing-back.

interesting to see if he prolongs his fascination (next season) with 3-5-2

defence needs strengthening, big-time.  Johnston is never gonna be up to it, IMHO

So annoying to see Kelly out for a month.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 06, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Why? I said it was a great result, a great performance a great everything. But I also happen to think all that greatness should be put into context. As I said, besides the bragging rights, what's the point in playing ManU off the park only to be played off the park ourselves against relegatin fodder inside a weak? I'm very happy we won, but it won't mean that much if we drop points at the Stadium of Lights after the break. I can't tell you how much it hurts to realise wins against Blackpool and West Hamj  would've seen us in contention for 4th.

Wolves up 1-0. :)

MartinMarx,

Today isn't about 'buts'. It's about celebrating an extremely good win against quality opposition who just happen to be our fiercest rivals. How many games have we sat through with Utd winning it with a flukey goal? Too many for me which is why I'm so happy today.

To use a Basil Fawlty phrase you're uttering the bleeding obvious. We all know the team needs strengthening and that there have been poor performances. But for once leave the negativity behind and concentrate on the positives. Ferguson can't even use any of his pathetic excuses today. They were played off the park. Can't wait to hear his post-match comments.

2-2 at Molineaux at HT.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 06, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Ferguson can't even use any of his pathetic excuses today.

I'll bet he will be moaning that the pivotal moment was the ref failing to send Carra off (at the end of the first half for the foul on Nani)

BTW anyone know how bad Nani's injury is?  He would be a bad loss to Utd, if he misses the run-in......quality player (tho not good in defence)

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 06, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
adams would be a great addition, I think.
Who would he replace in today's team? Isn't he central midfield? I think we have a solution on the right with Martin Kelly. A left winger is paramount but I haven't a clue who.

interesting to see if he prolongs his fascination (next season) with 3-5-2
They seem very adaptable to either formation. I'd give Soto another season. Brilliant attitude. Skrtel may have to go.

defence needs strengthening, big-time.  Johnston is never gonna be up to it, IMHO
But he's adaptable at LB ans well as RW and is dangerous going forward. I'd move him to RW with Kelly overlaps.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 06, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »
I'll bet he will be moaning that the pivotal moment was the ref failing to send Carra off (at the end of the first half for the foul on Nani)
But to balance that Rafael should have walked for his challenge on Kuyt.

BTW anyone know how bad Nani's injury is?  He would be a bad loss to Utd, if he misses the run-in......quality player (tho not good in defence)
Given that after being floored he managed to run around after the ref trying to get Jamie sent off it won't be too bad I think. But I hope I'm wrong.  :D

From the BBC site... "Jamie Carragher waited outside MUFC dressing room to apologise to Nani for his studs-up challenge."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:04:36 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 06, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
Who would he replace in today's team? Isn't he central midfield? I think we have a solution on the right with Martin Kelly. A left winger is paramount but I haven't a clue who.
They seem very adaptable to either formation. I'd give Soto another season. Brilliant attitude. Skrtel may have to go.
But he's adaptable at LB ans well as RW and is dangerous going forward. I'd move him to RW with Kelly overlaps.

adams is excellent at dead-ball scenarios - and we do need a corner kick and freekick taker.  Hard to replace any of today's team tho.

yes, left wing - it was obvious today, that offensively, all our efforts were going down the right (and even on the right, we didn't have a decent crosser either).

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 06, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »
Wonderful result and even better to watch with a room full of mancs! I'm the only liverpool supporter in the area as they're all glory hunters around here, and having to put up with their gloating tends to turn me semi postal...but today...didn't need to say anything, just a big smile and looking at every one of them in the eye as i left and danced up the road...leaving pissed off silent manure's weeping into their beer...
even better, they know that liverpool will be a force again next season...

adams would be a brilliant buy for the freekick/corners, bastos is my hope for left back...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 06, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
sounds like you had a great day there, barticus..............3 up for a long time, whilst sitting among mancs.

i would love it, if we could deny them the title this year.....and then go and win it ourselves next season.

that would most likely put Fergie into retirement, in an awful mood.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 06, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
Have you all heard that rednose has refused to be interviewed after the game and has banned his players from being interviewed.  :o

Something must have touched a nerve.  ;D I'm sure Premiership media rules stipulate the club must make someone available for interview. Maybe the monkey had to do the post-match interview. The organ grinder was still on the ceiling presumably not nursing a semi!  :P
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 06, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
ha tis a mere flesh wound!

http://yfrog.com/hs4gz1j