August 13, 2020, 10:24:39 AM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 193524 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #870 on: April 07, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
That gave me a good laugh! By 'eck, those Yorkshire folk knew how to enjoy themselves!  :D

by eck, Mr Herriot, I say what I like, and I damn well like what I say

*said in thick yorkshire accent*

an american gringo mentioned this show (All creatures Great and Small) last night...out of the blue.  She used to love it, when it was shown decades ago in America.

Why does tv and movies not show such real characters and scenarios like this any more (well, rarely).   

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 07, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
Isn't "All Creatures Great and Small" the one where an attractive woman slips on a full-length rubber sleeve and her arm disappears up a cow's bottom?  :o

Animal Liberation Front wouldn't like that!!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 08, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
Isn't "All Creatures Great and Small" the one where an attractive woman slips on a full-length rubber sleeve and her arm disappears up a cow's bottom?  :o

Animal Liberation Front wouldn't like that!!

they don't like it up em.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 08, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
Sad news that Stevie G is out for the rest of the season...badly missing in the game against braga cos i was still looking for stevie to step up and have a go...i know he can be wasteful lately but at least he steps up ...unlike others who tend to hide...
but perhaps rest and recuperation during the next 4 months can enable him to regain something like his prowess that we have seen in the last 7 years or so...i think he'll have to be used wisely and sparingly even when fully fit next season because his legs ain't what they used to be...
but from the noises coming from john henry et al...we'll buy quite a few players in the summer and get rid of quite a few....his 'i have come here to win the league' does bode well...

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 09, 2011, 02:28:12 AM »
I think that the injury situation is a blessing in disguise because at least we're learning hard lessons about the depth/character of the squad which will be useful when planning recruitment over the Summer (tbh, Gerrard & Agger are not the most reliable when it comes to injuries!). I'd happily sacrifice 5th if it meant that we weren't suffering under any delusions come the start of next season about where we most need cover! & also it's a good test of what Dalglish is capable of with limited resources!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
Sad news that Stevie G is out for the rest of the season...badly missing in the game against braga cos i was still looking for stevie to step up and have a go...i know he can be wasteful lately but at least he steps up ...unlike others who tend to hide...
but perhaps rest and recuperation during the next 4 months can enable him to regain something like his prowess that we have seen in the last 7 years or so...i think he'll have to be used wisely and sparingly even when fully fit next season because his legs ain't what they used to be...
but from the noises coming from john henry et al...we'll buy quite a few players in the summer and get rid of quite a few....his 'i have come here to win the league' does bode well...

Barticus, Gerrard's groin problems are long standing and no matter how much rest he gets, or operations for that matter, I can't see things improving from what they have been over the past two seasons, at least not to any significant degree. I think he needs to re-invent himself if he wants to play a bigger part (in terms of appearances at least), a bit like John Barnes did, and be prepared to be a deeper sitting, more defensive midfielder in the mould of Didi Hamann (conservative movement but huge effectiveness),  who can pull the strings to a certain degree (more than Didi, but less than Xabi).
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 10, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
Tes, the last person I would choose to have sitting in front of my back four, with would be Stevie.

the closer he is to our back four (throughout his career) the closer we are to a catastrophe. 

His levels of concentration are poor.  He is positionally often unaware, he makes bad decisions (look at the number of times he has tried to pass the ball back to our keeper, having not seen an opposition striker about to pounce on the pass-back and score). 

We badly miss Didi.  He was awesome.  He is irreplacable.  Indeed, HE was the one who turned the game around in that 2005 CL final.

Stevie is coming to the end of his career.  I'd like to see him play where he is most effective for the TEAM - i.e. out on the right.  He can whip balls in from there for Carroll.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
I know what you mean, Dude but I don't think his groin would cope with playing out there, which is why I was saying he'd have to re-invent himself. With his experience and age he should be able to, whether he has the mentality to is the question that remains very open.

I think his injury problems have brought much more sharply into focus the need to find his replacement and brought forward the time it needs to happen.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
Charlie Adam would be his natural replacement but as Gerrard only turns 31 at the end of May surely it's too soon to be writing him off. He's had groin problems in earlier days so providing the injury is treated properly and he has sufficient recovery time he should be fine for pre-season.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:38 PM »
Charlie Adam would be his natural replacement but as Gerrard only turns 31 at the end of May surely it's too soon to be writing him off. He's had groin problems in earlier days so providing the injury is treated properly and he has sufficient recovery time he should be fine for pre-season.

He's had re-occurring groin problems now for two seasons. The group of muscles in the groin are some of the hardest to treat and gain total recovery from, likewise injuries there can be very hard to diagnose and even with the correct diagnosis, successful treatment is still far from guaranteed. I keep saying this unfortunately, but I don't see Gerrard being totally free of this problem for what remains of his career. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 10, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »
yes, stevie is gonna find it hard to ever get rid of this type of injury, at this point in his career.

as Tes says, his best days are most likely behind him.

Fair poijnt re him not having the fitness to play on the right side.

But I am not at all convinced that Stevie can be deployed in other roles. 

But, and I have said this for 7 or 8 years, I see Stevie like Bryan Robson - i.e. as his influence grows less in the team, it will allow the team to push on.  Man Utd won that first title when Robson was 35 or 36 years old. 

There is a great future ahead.  I would not be overly concerned about Stevie playing less of a role. 

Reminds me, I must soon write up my end of season report.  I have one or two things to say, that might stir up one or two of the natives in here.   ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 10, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »
Reminds me, I must soon write up my end of season report.  I have one or two things to say, that might stir up one or two of the natives in here.   ;D

:D   :D   The season can't end soon enough then.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 11, 2011, 02:24:37 AM »
Hmmm....Stevie G. Like you've been saying probably needs to ADAPT his game! Young Lucas has come in and laid a claim to the defensive midfield slot and I presume that we're going to buy some decent wingers. Meireles is our attacking midfield guy....which in a conventional sense leaves a role for a passer/creative type....

This raises a lot of questions, in particular it would seem ridiculous to be reliant on a guy who is now likely to miss two months of the season?? Hell who are we kidding the Gerrard era is passed and the team is crying out for a new talisman!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 11, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
Hell who are we kidding the Gerrard era is passed and the team is crying out for a new talisman!!!

Can opened. Worms starting to escape.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 11, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »
Reina, Flanagan, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kuyt, Spearing, Lucas, Meireles, Suarez, Carroll

Geez, surely that's by far the weakest side we've fielded against a top side in the last two decades?

We need every player to perform well above their true level while, at the same time, City's having an off nite. Then and only then do we have a chance to avoid getting well and truly trashed.

It's almost heartbreaking to see that starting line-up.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.