December 03, 2020, 10:32:11 PM

Author Topic: Commentary on the games through the season....  (Read 210780 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Commentary on the games through the season....
« Reply #900 on: April 12, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
Or you can see it for what it was last night. A team that's had it's heart ripped out by a major injury crisis. It happens and you need to accept it. As for your 15 game extension of the original point, it goes without saying that nobody, not even the most optimistic amongst us, would be comfortable with the idea.

What we saw on Monday night was a combination of 3 of our back four (or both 1st and 2nd choice right backs, whichever order you place Kelly and Johnson in) plus our captain being injured, the mistakes in the market by Rafa and the financial shenanigans (which had a contributory effect towards Rafa's transfer policy) of the previous ownership.

Injury crisis is a tad dramatic for my liking but each to his own. What about ManU then who had to do without so many players throughout the season? It didn't stop them from putting some grit in here and there. I agree Rafa and the former owners are the main reason our squad is so weak, but you also got to ask more of what we have.

We have no resilience, no will, no grit, no passion unless we play a top team. That use to be the trademark of Everton, Villa, Bolton what have you. We need to take more pride from wearing the red shirt even on a cold and rainy January night in Blackpool, Birmingham or what have you. Enough already of complacement.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
You say it would be 4th lost if we go by that circumstance, but in truth it would not be, I mean look at us now 6th and almost on the coat tails of 4th place. So I disagree.

No Martin Manure a nowhere near an outstanding team. Their best defender - Ferdinand is a crock, their back up centre backs are crap. Evra has gone down a level. They are weak at central midfield and have no world class strikers - though Hernandez can be world class.

Manure are a very good top class team but not outstanding. There is only one outstanding team in the world at the moment - Barcelona.

Most good teams after what we have been through this season would not be fighting for a european place at this time, they be between 10th - 15th. I truly don't think you realise what those muppets H&G did to us and you continually thinking it was Rafa is absolutely ridiculous.

What is more ridiculous is you think Hodgson is a good manager at the top level - he isn't. He spent a good £10m in transfer fees in Poulsen, Konchesky and Jones. You think we will get that back? Dear me we'd be lucky to get half that for that shine-a-light.

The players we are looking to bring in and I will mention them to you martin:- If Reina does go we will look to get in Hugo Lloris from Lyon. Jose Enrique, Gary Cahill, Scott Dann, Adam, Young, Hazard and Sanchez - but to name a few.

If we can get 2 or 3 on that list plus the likes of Marveaux who is banked to be here next season, we will be a lot stronger, physically and mentally.

It is good times for us Martin, it really is. You have to take a leap of faith mate and believe in what Kenny, Commoli and NESV are doing.

We are in an evolution process and we are in our embryonic stage at the moment. But we are in for a busy summer and we will be fighting next season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31:50 PM »
So basically the sun always shines over Old Trafford and the dark skies will forever hang over Anfield.

The Mancs have had stability of management and the cash to make the difference when they've needed it.
With that sort of continuity you'd expect them to fair better with injuries.

As for 'hanging onto' Masch and Xabi, would unhappy players really give you the fight and resilience you're seeking and at what point did we have said qualities and when in your opinion were they lost, because in previous posts you've alluded to the fact that it's been a very long time since you saw such qualities in any Liverpool team.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
You say it would be 4th lost if we go by that circumstance, but in truth it would not be, I mean look at us now 6th and almost on the coat tails of 4th place. So I disagree.

It ain't gonna get better than 6th Ed.

No Martin Manure a nowhere near an outstanding team. Their best defender - Ferdinand is a crock, their back up centre backs are crap. Evra has gone down a level. They are weak at central midfield and have no world class strikers - though Hernandez can be world class.

So we're a fantastic side when finishing runner's up, while ManU isn't an outstanding team despite walking the league, reaching the semis in both the Cup and the CL. Again, what more can a team do to be outstanding?

Manure are a very good top class team but not outstanding. There is only one outstanding team in the world at the moment - Barcelona.

So if RM reach the final, will Barca still be the only outstanding team in the world?

Most good teams after what we have been through this season would not be fighting for a european place at this time, they be between 10th - 15th. I truly don't think you realise what those muppets H&G did to us and you continually thinking it was Rafa is absolutely ridiculous.

So Henry was equally ridiculous when he came out last weak pointing the finger at Rafa? And that's the man you say will lead us to glory? You have to forgive me for thinking your line of reasoning is a tad flawed.

What is more ridiculous is you think Hodgson is a good manager at the top level - he isn't. He spent a good £10m in transfer fees in Poulsen, Konchesky and Jones. You think we will get that back? Dear me we'd be lucky to get half that for that shine-a-light.

First of all, I never said he is a good manager, only he deserved more than 6 games before screaming for his removal. So what he spent 10 million? Funny you don't mention Meireles. Funny you don't mention the near 40 million Rafa spent on Johnson and Acuilani. Funny you don't mention the Josemi's, Krompkamp's of the footballing world Rafa never ended bring in to this club. How much did Poulsen cost?

The players we are looking to bring in and I will mention them to you martin:- If Reina does go we will look to get in Hugo Lloris from Lyon. Jose Enrique, Gary Cahill, Scott Dann, Adam, Young, Hazard and Sanchez - but to name a few.

Too bad it aint Championship Manager, I'm sure you'd have us win no. 19 in no time.

If we can get 2 or 3 on that list plus the likes of Marveaux who is banked to be here next season, we will be a lot stronger, physically and mentally.

Ed, how many times haven't we put our faith in unproven players and come out hugely disappointed? When will you ever learn?

It is good times for us Martin, it really is. You have to take a leap of faith mate and believe in what Kenny, Commoli and NESV are doing.

Me too reckon it's good times. We only differ in our view on how far beyond this club has fallen and how great the task ahead of us is. I do have faith in Kenny, Comolli and Henry, but I also realise the damage done by GH and Rafa.

We are in an evolution process and we are in our embryonic stage at the moment. But we are in for a busy summer and we will be fighting next season.

For 5th, at best. Agreed.

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 13, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
So basically the sun always shines over Old Trafford and the dark skies will forever hang over Anfield.

The Mancs have had stability of management and the cash to make the difference when they've needed it.
With that sort of continuity you'd expect them to fair better with injuries.

As for 'hanging onto' Masch and Xabi, would unhappy players really give you the fight and resilience you're seeking and at what point did we have said qualities and when in your opinion were they lost, because in previous posts you've alluded to the fact that it's been a very long time since you saw such qualities in any Liverpool team.

Yes, the Mancs have the stability that once used to be our trademark which saw us dominate the game for almost 3 decades. That stability isn't re-erected by signing a flashy player here and there. It requires an ideology, a stance, an idea what it means to be a Liverpool player. Neither GH nor Rafa ever realised this. Kenny knows the value of this and hopefully he'll be able to resurrect pride and passion at Anfield.

Xabi was bullied by the inhuman Rafa who held a grudge towards him for missing a game to attend the birth of his son. I genuinely believe Alonso when he said last week LFC and the memories of the city will always be close to him. It's just that SOB Rafa who forced him to leave. Masch is a different story, he's just a selfish and ungrateful cnut.

I maintain that Alonso, besides Stevie, is by far the best CM I've had the privelige to watch play in a red shirt since the heydays of Barnes, Beardsly and Kenny. Too bad one man was allowed to bully him out of this club to make way for word-class Barry.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:29:01 AM by Martinmarx »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 13, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
how many times haven't we put our faith in unproven players and come out hugely disappointed? When will you ever learn?
so you don't want unproven players.  You want the finished article (and the price tag that goes with it).  Oddly, your team Man Utd bring in unproven lads like Ronaldo, Vidic or Nani, and do quite well.

bringing in fancy players with a hefty price tag isn't the answer to our questions
now are saying that bringing in top players with a big price tag is NOT the answer.  Friggen ell - make up your mind.

Xabi was bullied by the inhuman Rafa who held a grudge towards him for missing a game to attend the birth of his son. I genuinely believe Alonso when he said last week LFC and the memories of the city will always be close to him. It's just that SOB Rafa who forced him to leave.
the summer that Rafa was looking to offload Alonso, the lad had been very poor.  And he has not been exactly pulling up trees since he returned to Spain.

We will not challenge for top 4 next season for the simple reason it doesn't matter what playes we bring in. That has little or nothing to do with it.

so now, let me put this all together.

You don't want to bring in fancy Dans; you don't want players with big price tags; though you don't want players that are unproven brought in.....and now you say it doesn't matter who the hell we bring in.

Friggen ell, my head is sore.   :-\

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 14, 2011, 06:30:56 AM »
How mature, dude. Why do you even bother? True, you don't have to agree with me. Hell you can dislike me and what I say all you like. But to deliberately twist every word and though I express is just plain boring.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:32:25 AM by Martinmarx »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
on the contrary Martin - why do YOU even bother. 

it's patently obvious that everybody else in here disagrees with you - and yet you persist in ploughing your lone furrow.

your failure to listen or absorb the thoughts of others - many of whom have been following the reds for a lot longer than you, have more knowledge of the game, and who actually have attended anfield - is staggeringly arrogant.

you are arguably not a supporter at all.  You always find fault with everything and everybody at Liverpool FC. 

you are ultra negative (personally, I suspect that you are a troll OR ELSE have a medical condition).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 14, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »
You don't know the first thing about me. Anyroad, I don't want this discussion to be about me as that is quite irrelevant to the discussion. If it pleases you, I have been to Anfield more than once. Am I a better "fan" now? Am I a more respectable fan to you if I tell you I once  even attended a HJC-cup and supported the cause at the party after the cup despite being on the dole and hardly could pay my rent? Do I even get a gold star if I tell you that night was unforgettable and meeting and talking to Annie Williams touched me deep inside? I don't question your loyalty or love for the club despite thinking some of your opinions are difficult to take on board, so why is it so important to you?

It hurts when LFC lose, it hurts to see us going in the wrong direction (tho I have a feeling things are slowly changing for the better since October). I'm not ultranegative that's just a sort of tactics rightwing debaters use as they never really have anything substantial or thoughtful to say. So what? I don't agree with your or possibly anyone in this forum about how far beyond we've slipped under GH, Rafa and G & H. What's the problem with that? I was right about GH over 2 years before he got the sack and I was right about Rafa about 2 years before he too got the sack. It's not a "I told you so" remark, it's actually evidence I'm not as negative as you say I am but rather realistic about this club.

Please, counter my arguments or keep your thoughts to yourself. It doesn't really fit you as I think you're a terrefic bloke I'd love to have a pint or 4 together with.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 14, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Jesus, it's a very simple world. We need two things an announcement on the manager & goalkeeper! That's it! The rest is just pre-season!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »
Please, counter my arguments or keep your thoughts to yourself. It doesn't really fit you as I think you're a terrefic bloke I'd love to have a pint or 4 together with.

sharing alcoholic beverage sounds good, Martin.  We should do that sometime.  Thanks for the kind words.

maybe you do not realise. but you come across as very very negative.  Heck, I am negative at times too - my views on Gerrard, for example, have to be tempered at times, because I know some others get upset when I say too much on that score. 

But one has to be generally positive about the club (and life in general), or else what is the point.

Yes, re Houllier, I said the same as you.  Those final 2 years the game was up.  His negative football was taking the club nowhere.  He was also hard to listen to, or like......endless nutty sermons, that were always self-serving.

As for Rafa, he was the best manager at the club since Paisely  IMHO.

Sacking Rafa was madness.  Though he did need someone like Packa Punch for talent spotting....and he did need a few private words about stop getting involved in club politics.  Airing dirty linen in public is not the Liverpool way.  He performed awesomely tho, given the tiny net spend that he had for a major club.

But Houllier and Benitez won trophies for the club.  Look at clubs like arsenal and man city, who are winning fig-leaf all.  How hard must that be to take.

Anyways, I won't say much more, coz I am saving my ideas for a major post, on my end of season report.  I don't want to unleash or dilute my can of worms too soon. 

But take my advice - take on board what others here are saying.  Be positive in your general outlook.  We had an awful first half of the season.  We could have been fighting relegation right now.  Instead, we will finish in the top 6. 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 17, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
Flanagan, Spearing and Robinson were all awesome. Robinson ate Walcott for lunch.

I didn't think Spearing had this level of ability that he showed today in his locker. If he continues this up, then we don't need Charlie Adam in the summer.

We now have great depth at the right back position. Johnson, Kelly and Flanagan. Flanagan doing so well hopefully means Kelly gets a chance in his natural position of centre back. Jack Robinson in 90 mins has already proven to be better than Paul Konchesky, so he is the perfect back up to whoever we buy in the summer for the left back spot.

Lucas was awesome today absolutely magnificent. He is moving up a level now, hopefully he stays there and eventually even goes onto a further level.

But our youth development is bearing fruit all of a sudden which is good to see.

Our back line in 3 - 5 years time could be an all youth system back line.

Flanagan--------Coady/Wisdom-------Kelly---------Robinson

Coady and Wisdom are 2 centre backs currently in our youth squad who look good.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »

Our back line in 3 - 5 years time could be an all youth system back line.

Flanagan--------Coady/Wisdom-------Kelly---------Robinson

Dreamtime. I agree with you on Coady and Wisdom, Coady especially.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 23, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
sharing alcoholic beverage sounds good, Martin.  We should do that sometime.  Thanks for the kind words.

maybe you do not realise. but you come across as very very negative.  Heck, I am negative at times too - my views on Gerrard, for example, have to be tempered at times, because I know some others get upset when I say too much on that score. 

But one has to be generally positive about the club (and life in general), or else what is the point.

Yes, re Houllier, I said the same as you.  Those final 2 years the game was up.  His negative football was taking the club nowhere.  He was also hard to listen to, or like......endless nutty sermons, that were always self-serving.

As for Rafa, he was the best manager at the club since Paisely  IMHO.

Sacking Rafa was madness.  Though he did need someone like Packa Punch for talent spotting....and he did need a few private words about stop getting involved in club politics.  Airing dirty linen in public is not the Liverpool way.  He performed awesomely tho, given the tiny net spend that he had for a major club.

But Houllier and Benitez won trophies for the club.  Look at clubs like arsenal and man city, who are winning fig-leaf all.  How hard must that be to take.

Anyways, I won't say much more, coz I am saving my ideas for a major post, on my end of season report.  I don't want to unleash or dilute my can of worms too soon. 

But take my advice - take on board what others here are saying.  Be positive in your general outlook.  We had an awful first half of the season.  We could have been fighting relegation right now.  Instead, we will finish in the top 6.

Been off skiing up north for a week hence the late reply.

I do apologize for venting frustration and anger on here after what I often find unacceptable performances. I'll try to do better. In any case I never ment to be disrespectful or arrogant, altho I understand why you think I have been. I'll hold you to those pints one of these days.

Missed the Arsenal game unfortunately but gather Kenny was pleased with our fighting spirit.

My neighbour just stopped by to tell me his daughter is making her Anfield debut today. I told him she's gonna have a brilliant time and besides having difficulties keeping track of the scouse she's at the best of places. It's hard when you go on your own the first time knowing nobody but it helps it's the city of Liverpool you're going to, I told him.

Liverpool 3 - 1 Brummies.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 23, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
Hi Martin,

Nice to hear your change of attitude. Have a virtual pint on me.   :-*

I'm sure we will beat the Birmingham jinx today. We haven't beaten them at Anfield since 2003 apparently. I hope your neighbour's daughter enjoys herself!  ;)

Prediction, 2-0 to the Reds.
Cheers,
Ray