November 19, 2019, 07:30:33 AM

Author Topic: Man Utd 1 - Man City 6  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Man Utd 1 - Man City 6
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
An amazing score from Old Toilet!  ;D For all the criticism levelled at Liverpool FC over the last few years our first team has never suffered a humiliation like that. The closest I can think is the result against Arsenal in the FA Cup several years ago.

But for the champions of England to be defeated so heavily at home after their start to the season is something I can't remember happening before.

A truly seismic event. Listening to the phone-in later today should be interesting. So for all their wonderful players they still played absolutely awful and towards the end lost their discipline and composure. It just goes to show that even if you have excellent players it can still go t*ts up in a big way!!

So the gap between us and Utd reduces to 5. Hmmm, and there was me thinking we had a crisis!  ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Man Utd 1 - Man City 6
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »
Reality finally catches up with the Mancs. Maybe, just maybe, there is a Fowler.

Goes to show the result was wrong when we played.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
It will be very interesting to see what team he puts out against mighty Aldershot in the CC this week. On an individual level confidence for certain players must be rock bottom.

You have to question Ferguson's team selection and tactics in a must-win game. Is his age a factor? I certainly hope so because it means we can enjoy more days like this!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
It will be very interesting to see what team he puts out against mighty Aldershot in the CC this week. On an individual level confidence for certain players must be rock bottom.

You have to question Ferguson's team selection and tactics in a must-win game. Is his age a factor? I certainly hope so because it means we can enjoy more days like this!

70 on New Year's Eve. Senility can't come early enough and you can't see him being replaced by the owners either. Maybe we're seeing the very tip of the downward spirral. No team's era lasts forever.

It would be a shame for football if they were to be replaced at the summit by Mansour City. Football truly would be dead.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
It would be a shame for football if they were to be replaced at the summit by Mansour City. Football truly would be dead.

With respect Tes, stuff a shame for football. I don't want Utd winning anything least of all another title.

And what's the difference between what Sheikh Mansour has done with City and John Henry at Liverpool? It's only a difference of money. Wouldn't any owner spend what was required to win the title? And remember spending money is no guarantee. Look at Abramovich and he still hasn't won the European Cup!

It reminds of the rich bloke who asked an attractive woman if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. "Of course" she replied. "So would you sleep with me for five pounds?" he asked. "What type of woman do you think I am?" she replied. "We've already established that" was his response. "We're just haggling over the price!!!!"  :D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
With respect Tes, stuff a shame for football. I don't want Utd winning anything least of all another title.

:D

It reminds of the rich bloke who asked an attractive woman if she would sleep with him for a million pounds. "Of course" she replied. "So would you sleep with me for five pounds?" he asked. "What type of woman do you think I am?" she replied. "We've already established that" was his response. "We're just haggling over the price!!!!"  :D

:D   :D   :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 04:36:56 AM »
Nah, it suits Utd. to let City do the front running...

Come April, they generally win the league on auto-pilot...

Wishful thinking, methinks. I'm not denying that City have
a very talented collection of players, Balotelli's opener was
unbelievable BUT, the pressure will get to those same players
once Fergie starts turning the screw. It'll be close because of
sheer bloody-mindedness on City's part but, I can't see it
happening! In fact, I think City's desperation to win it will be
their undoing when they HAVE to get results. Sure they've set
down a marker and made another statement of intent, winning
the league requires more then that though, much more.

Anyway back to the exciting race for fourth. Don't we have to
play City at home soon? :'(  :D

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
Ed,

I understand where you're coming from but surely the likes of De Gea, Jones, Cleverley and Young will get nervous at the prospect of their first title.

They're not machines and whatever Ferguson say's to them it can't rid them of their nerves. Anyway, all this could be academic. Utd have allowed the opposition a total of 91 shots on goal in their games at home this season. Hardly champions stats! They're looked not very good in their last 4 games. Long may it continue starting tonight at Aldershot!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:31:48 PM »
Ed,

I understand where you're coming from but surely the likes of De Gea, Jones, Cleverley and Young will get nervous at the prospect of their first title.
Hey ASI, nothing would give me greater pleasure than the fall of the Taggart empire,
i just think it's a bit too premature to call and would actually fancy Chelsea above City
when the going gets tough at the end of the season (given the premiership veterans
they have).

Back to United, what they have (what we used to have) is an entire club working behind
the scenes that gets it. There is nothing unknown for them, come April. They've had strong
and relatively easy challenges from contenders in run-ins to the title before. Fergie's also got a
a back-up keeper that he is handling exceptionally in terms of maintaining competition and
hunger for a place. Their squad is deep, so he has the means to fix whatever problems they
are currently having. Finally, just to depress the bejaysus out of you, "He's won it with kids" before!  :'(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »
Ed,

They're not machines and whatever Ferguson say's to them it can't rid them of their nerves. Anyway, all this could be academic. Utd have allowed the opposition a total of 91 shots on goal in their games at home this season. Hardly champions stats! They're looked not very good in their last 4 games. Long may it continue starting tonight at Aldershot!

Additionally they've lost the pooled experience of Neville and Scholes and non of their recent recruits have any title winning experience with their previous clubs.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
Hey ASI, nothing would give me greater pleasure than the fall of the Taggart empire,
i just think it's a bit too premature to call and would actually fancy Chelsea above City
when the going gets tough at the end of the season (given the premiership veterans
they have).
I doubt we're going to see some sort of gigantic implosion. But you don't recover quickly from your greatest humiiation for several decades in a few weeks.

They won tonight but none or very few of those who played on Sunday turned out. Wait until Saturday at Everton. They won't roll over. They can't afford to.

Back to United, what they have (what we used to have) is an entire club working behind
the scenes that gets it. There is nothing unknown for them, come April. They've had strong
and relatively easy challenges from contenders in run-ins to the title before. Fergie's also got a
a back-up keeper that he is handling exceptionally in terms of maintaining competition and
hunger for a place. Their squad is deep, so he has the means to fix whatever problems they
are currently having. Finally, just to depress the bejaysus out of you, "He's won it with kids" before!  :'(

I hear where you're coming from but I just don't think it's that straight forward. For a starter that win will give City great confidence. The next few games for everyone will be interesting.

Whatever you say about the experience behind the scenes it's what matters out on the pitch that matters and those players haven't been playing well for a while now. We have a decent keeper but it doesn't stop us conceding. De Gae couldn't do anything about any of those goals. And with Ferdinand losing pace and confidence, Vidic not getting games and the others raw recruits they lack someone to lead them.

We'll see.
Cheers,
Ray