October 23, 2019, 04:16:06 PM

Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Jordan Henderson
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
Why do so many people seem to hate Jordan Henderson? If you listen to the phone-ins or spend more time than is healthy on Twitter, you’ll have noticed a growing number of Liverpool fans queuing up to put the boot in on their own £16million summer signing. There’s even a Facebook group, inventively titled, “Jordan Henderson is S**T.” It’s not all Liverpool fans, but it is a significant portion of them and they’re not being very fair. Henderson is a more than useful footballer.

In his brief cameo at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, he completed seven out of 10 passes. Seven out of 10. It’s actually rather tempting to use that statistic as a means of quickly describing Henderson to the uninitiated. The 21-year-old really is a 7/10 kind of guy. He’s a cheese and pickle sandwich. He’s a Tom Clancy novel. He’s the second Stone Roses album. He’s good. Not great, but good. If we were to apply the Gary Neville ‘PlayStation Controller’ test, Henderson would be operated by a mature gamer uncomfortable with all those fancy ‘special move’ buttons. And that’s no bad thing.

In all but one of his 12 Premier League appearances this season, Henderson’s pass completion rate has been above 70%. In three games, it has been above 90%. The only aberration was the White Hart Lane massacre (69%) and in that, he was hardly the worst offender. Generally, he gets the ball, he gives the ball and he moves up the field. Get, give, go. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Like another understated Liverpool midfielder, Ray Houghton, Henderson tends to play on the right wing only when his colleagues have the ball. When they are on the back foot, he trots in to form a midfield three. He does his job well and he never complains. But even if Henderson wasn’t giving entirely competent performances, the criticism would be over the top. This is, after all, a young man living in a new city in his first season with one of the most popular clubs on the planet. A little patience might be nice.

The problem, you suspect, is that many of his critics are unaware of the concept of patience, or of Houghton, or of the fact that Liverpool’s success in the 1970s and 80s was built on getting the ball, giving the ball and moving up the field. Today’s game is far more hysterical. In today’s game, if you don’t grab the bull by the horns and flush its head down the toilet like, say, Sergio Aguero at Manchester City, you’re in trouble. Henderson doesn’t grab bulls. He smiles politely and passes the ball around them.

Like his club, he’s in the early stages of what Reds fans will hope is a glorious metamorphosis. In the same way that Kenny Dalglish should never have been expected to convert Roy Hodgson’s misbegotten hoofballers into tiki-taka title contenders inside a year, Henderson should not be expected to wrestle the Ballon D’or from Lionel Messi’s tiny mitts in his debut season. Or indeed, ever. Yes, £16million was probably more than he is worth, but it’s not like he negotiated the fee himself. He shouldn’t be punished for the premium incurred by increasingly stringent ‘homegrown’ player restrictions.

In true Henderson style, let’s make this simple. He is already good. At some point in the future he will be very good and then, as they did with the much-maligned, now much-adored Lucas, those hard-to-please Liverpool fans are going to yank the handbrake and perform a screeching mental U-turn. Perhaps if they got behind their man now, instead of attempting to destroy him, he might get there sooner.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
I think that the problem with Henderson is how he was
introduced to the side. Quite simply he didn't have what
it takes to make a sustained impact over 90 minutes in
a red shirt (which is hardly surprising).

I would have been happy to see him for just the last 20 minutes
of a game. I like the fact that he has an engine on him and
can cover the ground very quickly. But he's still a bit green
and had a shocker against Swansea (even if his pass
completion rate in that game was 66%).

I expect him to be an important player for us in the first
11 that begins to emerge post Carragher (33), Gerrard (31),
Maxi (30), Kuyt (31). Middle of next season!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »
His cameo against Chelsea showed the obvious talent he has. Young players will be inconsistant and young players at big clubs more so, where the expectation and demand to perform 'every game' at a consistently high level is so much greater and so much more noticable when it doesn't happen.

Young players require patience and understanding. Maybe he was the right player at the wrong time as we needed ready made solutions at this stage of our re-building and once that was more established, then the 'ones for the future' could be brought in.

20+ years without a league title allied to the Mancs seemingly endless success has only conspired to test the patience of the most patient of fans, which is understandable. I'm not condoning it, but we all are human afterall.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:09 PM »
Why do so many people seem to hate Jordan Henderson? If you listen to the phone-ins or spend more time than is healthy on Twitter, you’ll have noticed a growing number of Liverpool fans queuing up to put the boot in on their own £16million summer signing. There’s even a Facebook group, inventively titled, “Jordan Henderson is S**T.” It’s not all Liverpool fans, but it is a significant portion of them and they’re not being very fair. Henderson is a more than useful footballer.

In his brief cameo at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, he completed seven out of 10 passes. Seven out of 10. It’s actually rather tempting to use that statistic as a means of quickly describing Henderson to the uninitiated. The 21-year-old really is a 7/10 kind of guy. He’s a cheese and pickle sandwich. He’s a Tom Clancy novel. He’s the second Stone Roses album. He’s good. Not great, but good. If we were to apply the Gary Neville ‘PlayStation Controller’ test, Henderson would be operated by a mature gamer uncomfortable with all those fancy ‘special move’ buttons. And that’s no bad thing.

In all but one of his 12 Premier League appearances this season, Henderson’s pass completion rate has been above 70%. In three games, it has been above 90%. The only aberration was the White Hart Lane massacre (69%) and in that, he was hardly the worst offender. Generally, he gets the ball, he gives the ball and he moves up the field. Get, give, go. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Like another understated Liverpool midfielder, Ray Houghton, Henderson tends to play on the right wing only when his colleagues have the ball. When they are on the back foot, he trots in to form a midfield three. He does his job well and he never complains. But even if Henderson wasn’t giving entirely competent performances, the criticism would be over the top. This is, after all, a young man living in a new city in his first season with one of the most popular clubs on the planet. A little patience might be nice.

The problem, you suspect, is that many of his critics are unaware of the concept of patience, or of Houghton, or of the fact that Liverpool’s success in the 1970s and 80s was built on getting the ball, giving the ball and moving up the field. Today’s game is far more hysterical. In today’s game, if you don’t grab the bull by the horns and flush its head down the toilet like, say, Sergio Aguero at Manchester City, you’re in trouble. Henderson doesn’t grab bulls. He smiles politely and passes the ball around them.

Like his club, he’s in the early stages of what Reds fans will hope is a glorious metamorphosis. In the same way that Kenny Dalglish should never have been expected to convert Roy Hodgson’s misbegotten hoofballers into tiki-taka title contenders inside a year, Henderson should not be expected to wrestle the Ballon D’or from Lionel Messi’s tiny mitts in his debut season. Or indeed, ever. Yes, £16million was probably more than he is worth, but it’s not like he negotiated the fee himself. He shouldn’t be punished for the premium incurred by increasingly stringent ‘homegrown’ player restrictions.

In true Henderson style, let’s make this simple. He is already good. At some point in the future he will be very good and then, as they did with the much-maligned, now much-adored Lucas, those hard-to-please Liverpool fans are going to yank the handbrake and perform a screeching mental U-turn. Perhaps if they got behind their man now, instead of attempting to destroy him, he might get there sooner.

Couldnt agree more Edward.

Unfortunately many modern football fans expectations are far removed from reality. They often want instant success from the the teams they support or in Hendersons case fans expect him to be the finished product because the club have paid 16 million for the player. Some fans arent capable of understanding that Kenny is buying Henderson for the next decade and he never expected him to fulfill his potential within his first 3 months at the club.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
Couldnt agree more Edward.

Unfortunately many modern football fans expectations are far removed from reality. They often want instant success from the the teams they support or in Hendersons case fans expect him to be the finished product because the club have paid 16 million for the player. Some fans arent capable of understanding that Kenny is buying Henderson for the next decade and he never expected him to fulfill his potential within his first 3 months at the club.

Hear, hear. The problem is that in the past the likes of Henderson a) didn't cost the ludicrous sums of money they do now and therefore the expectation that accompanies it, and b) they would have learned their trade in the reserves until they were at the level of consistency required to be able to be a regular first team performer.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:06:59 PM »
Why do so many people seem to hate Jordan Henderson?

most fans are ignoramuses, Edward.

despite big ideas about themselves, they know fek all.

Ok, I'd never have thrown the lad in at the deep end like Kenny did.  You always need to slowly introduce such a new young signing into your side.  But it is clear he has potential.  And we will only see how good he can get over the next 2 or 3 years. 

But it was the same with Lucas.  Even some in here slagged the lad.  I suppose some found it a good way of attacking Rafa too.  To my eyes, it was clear the lad had great potential....and just needed time to adapt to a quicker tempo, and more robust, game in England.

Most fans are muppets.  And the muppets don't even realise the politics that Bill Shankly was playing, when he praised Liverpool fans as being the most knowledgable in the game.     I have chatted in footy forums for nearly 20 years, and believe me Liverpool fans have no more knowledge about football than any other clubs' fans. 

Now that isn't the case when it comes to decency.  I have travelled far and wide, and the people of Liverpool and the surrounding area, are about the kindest, most decent, people  I have ever encountered.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:02:48 AM »
Absolutely f**king delighted with Henderson tonight. Not quite ecstatic but,,,

Anyway, what I noticed (and maybe in the last 30 minutes of the cup final) is
the emergence, from him, of controlled aggression in the midfield. Controlled
aggression is a tough one to do, imo, we saw it a lot from Lucas this season,
Stevie doesn't/can't do it anymore (as he's morphed with age into much more
technical, less physical player). Shelvey is (fair play to him) energetic but not
mature enough yet to be truly effective, gave away that stupid free kick which
led to their goal (lol, back out on loan?) Imo, Henderson & Lucas is shaping up
as a midfield powerhouse (essential for a league campaign, imo).

Aside from agression though, there's a lot of quality in a lot of what Henderson
does and he's a Duracell Bunny to boot! Almost got the complete game there if
he works at it!

Maybe I'm drawing conclusions a bit early (there's certainly lots for him to improve),
still looking like money well spent to me. Well done Kenny!