December 13, 2017, 03:41:36 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 66883 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Summer Transfer Window
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »
Yes folks, it's that time already, apparently:

Liverpool eye summer move for Udinese's £12m-rated Chile midfielder Isla

2nd February 2012

Udinese's Mauricio Isla has emerged as a summer target for Liverpool, who are ready to offer around £12million for the 23-year-old Chile midfielder.

Roma are also keen on the versatile South American, who started all of his country's games in the 2010 World Cup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2095677/Liverpool-eye-summer-Udineses-12m-rated-Chile-midfielder-Isla.html

Look in the comments lower down the page. I hope our scouts take note.   :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
Russian giants Zenit to make big money bid for United target Shaqiri

3rd February 2012

Manchester United target Xherdan Shaqiri remains a target for Zenit St Petersburg, and the Russians are ready to make a big money bid.

The highly rated Basle youngster has been linked with a number of clubs around Europe, with United reportedly weighing up a summer bid.

But the Russian transfer window is still open, and Zenit are set to tempt the 20-year-old with a bid of around £10million, according to reports.

Shaqiri impressed Sir Alex Ferguson, when Basle beat United in December to knock the Reds out of the Champions League.
And United's great rivals Liverpool have also been keeping tabs on the player.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2095822/Manchester-United-target-Xherdan-Shaqiri-wanted-Zenit.html

This is something that UEFA need to sort out. All the transfers windows throughout Europe should be synchronised so that no team has an advantage. Where is the FA in this? Why aren't they working to sort it and in the meantime, allow our window to remain open.
I realise the Russian season runs differently to the rest of Europe because of their extreme weather conditions.

I hope the fact that we weren't in for him in this window means we don't lose out to the Russians. This is the sort of player we should have been targetting with the Downing money. Not seen the Mancs linked with him seriously yet, but then again it is the Mail.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »
Shaqiri seems to have been linked with United on a number of occasions but to be honest I think if they wanted him they would have bought him by now. They saw him first hand against Basle. I havent seen enough of the guy to know if he justifies all the praise.

As for the other transfer Isla, ive never heard of him before this window. His name doesnt inspire but thats not to say hes not doing the business in Italy.

We've gone down the buying English/British/PL players route. Next summer Id love to see us not buying potential or a player because of his nationality but back to buying young players who are performing now. Not exactly the established 40 million pound players but the players who are almost there. Like 25 million for Silva was a steal as was 22 million for Suarez. Hazard seems to be the one creating all the headlines now. Personally I like to see us go for Eriksen from Ajax. Hes another with a huge future.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
we've never replaced Didi properly (the Argie lad didn't hang around)

if we hope to join the big boys at the top table, we need someone to sit in front of the back four and mop up.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
Hazard seems to be the one creating all the headlines now. Personally I like to see us go for Eriksen from Ajax. Hes another with a huge future.

Eriken's a good shout. Hazard I think will end up being very expensive. We're probably two seasons too late with him.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Van Persies contract is up in 2013.

If we were to get CL football at the expense of Arsenal and Chelsea why not bid. Arsenal could be forced to take 35 million or risk losing him for nothing.

Reina contemplated going to Arsenal at one point so why not VP here. If Real or Barca weren't interested we could possibly stand a chance.

Lots of ifs and buts ,I just hope Comolli keeps tabs on situations like this one.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Would FSG sanction a bid of that size for a 28 y.o?

It would be nice as you can see him as a Bergkamp / Sheringham type player that wouldn't need to rely on pace as he got older. He seems to have got over his injury problems this season also.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
Would FSG sanction a bid of that size for a 28 y.o?

It would be nice as you can see him as a Bergkamp / Sheringham type player that wouldn't need to rely on pace as he got older. He seems to have got over his injury problems this season also.

True Tes you forget that Van Persie is 28. In which case you couldnt see him coming within our transfer policy requirements.

I know this is a bit of an understatement but we could really do with finding a goalscorer. Is Cavani the real deal? We need someone relatively young who can forge a partnership with Suarez.

Have Newcastle signed another gem in Cisse? Great debut goal at the weekend.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »
True Tes you forget that Van Persie is 28. In which case you couldnt see him coming within our transfer policy requirements.

I know this is a bit of an understatement but we could really do with finding a goalscorer. Is Cavani the real deal? We need someone relatively young who can forge a partnership with Suarez.

Have Newcastle signed another gem in Cisse? Great debut goal at the weekend.

Cisse has a decent record in the Bundesliga and we were rumoured to have an interest in him during Rafa's last season, I think it was.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

I remember Evans wanted Sheringham when he was at Spurs but the board wouldn't sanction it. He didn't do too badly at the Mancs when he did move later.

I think this age limit should only really be a guideline. Sometimes an experienced player, even over a short term, can prove to be a clever acquisition and exactly what is required. Would we have done the treble of cups under Houllier without that old Scottish bloke we got from the knackers yard 11 at Coventry.

Van Persie could be a very cute piece of business as he has the ability to adapt his game if age interferes with his present way of playing. There must be a reason Taggart brought Scholes back. He's definately not eye candy on the club calender and team posters.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »
Paris St-Germain inquire about availability of Liverpool's Luis Suárez

Andy Hunter  Thursday 16 February 2012

Paris St-Germain have inquired about Luis Suárez's potential availability at Liverpool and been told the Anfield club have no desire to sell the controversial striker at the end of the season.

The Uruguay international was accused of misleading Liverpool over his intention to shake Patrice Evra's hand at Old Trafford by the club's managing director, Ian Ayre, and Kenny Dalglish has left the striker in no doubt he feels badly let down by Suárez's behaviour on Saturday. The Liverpool manager is anxious for the 25-year-old to concentrate on the club's pursuit of Champions League qualification, the FA Cup and Carling Cup for the remainder of the season but, despite the problems, has no intention of selling his finest forward.

PSG, backed by a Qatari investment fund and in the market for a high-profile striker having failed to attract Carlos Tevez to France in January, are the first club to register an interest in Suárez following Saturday's episode and Sunday's apologies. According to L'Equipe, PSG officials made their interest known to Suárez's representatives and have the funds to test his club's resolve in the summer.

Liverpool, however, see Suárez's future on Merseyside and, while reluctant to make any further comment on the £22.8m signing from Ajax in the hope of moving on from the sorry affair, Dalglish has insisted the striker's position at the club is not an issue. The Liverpool manager said on Thursday: "I can only reiterate, we have drawn a line under what happened and we just want Luis to concentrate on his football now."

Following his own apology and dressing-down by Liverpool last Sunday, Suárez has trained as normal this week and is expected to feature in Sunday's FA Cup fifth-round tie against Brighton & Hove Albion at Anfield.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/16/paris-st-germain-luis-suarez

This is the first of many we're likely to see between now and the end of the Summer window.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
I remember Evans wanted Sheringham when he was at Spurs but the board wouldn't sanction it. He didn't do too badly at the Mancs when he did move later.

I always wanted Teddy at Anfield.  I was gutted when he went to Utd.

Superb technical player, superb footballing brain. 

As for Van Persie.  I was always a massive fan when he was a young emerging talent.  And I thought he was going to be another Bergkamp.  But no, he never progressed the way I thought he would. 

For me, as it turned out, he just never had the consistency needed.    imho

It's hard to imagine how he would look in a non-Wenger team.  But I would have serious reservations about acquiring him. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
I always wanted Teddy at Anfield.  I was gutted when he went to Utd.

Superb technical player, superb footballing brain. 

As for Van Persie.  I was always a massive fan when he was a young emerging talent.  And I thought he was going to be another Bergkamp.  But no, he never progressed the way I thought he would. 

For me, as it turned out, he just never had the consistency needed.    imho

It's hard to imagine how he would look in a non-Wenger team.  But I would have serious reservations about acquiring him.

Injuries have been his problem over the last few years. I think he's nearer Van Basten than Bergkamp, but he's the kind of player that if he were to lose his pace would still be great as the first yard is in his head and pace isn't required to be clinical in front of goal, is it Mr Fowler.

Dude, we could put togther a team with manager of players we would have liked to have seen the club.  :D

Talking of which, imagine Sheringham playing off Fowler in the Evans team.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
Injuries have been his problem over the last few years. I think he's nearer Van Basten than Bergkamp, but he's the kind of player that if he were to lose his pace would still be great as the first yard is in his head and pace isn't required to be clinical in front of goal, is it Mr Fowler.

Dude, we could put togther a team with manager of players we would have liked to have seen the club.  :D

Talking of which, imagine Sheringham playing off Fowler in the Evans team.

we sure could put together a team, Tes!  Would be fascinating.  Managêd by the late great Sir Bobby.

I'll start with the strikeforce.  I always craved Sheringham and Shearer.  They were both made for Liverpool.  Our domination of the game would never have ended, with that pair leading the line.

Yes, like you say, imagine Teddy playing off Fowler.  The mind boggles.    Teddy was one of Britain's finest ever players of the last generation.  He never ever got the recognition that he deserved. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Teddy was one of Britain's finest ever players of the last generation.  He never ever got the recognition that he deserved.

Exactly. Scored goals, created goals, good in the air. Saw and executed passes most players couldn't. How good would he have been if he'd had pace aswell?