December 08, 2019, 02:34:10 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123062 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Exactly. Scored goals, created goals, good in the air. Saw and executed passes most players couldn't. How good would he have been if he'd had pace aswell?

exactly.

he was the english version of Klinsman.

Indeed, I often thought that he was very German-like in his technical efficiency and intelligence.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »
exactly.

he was the english version of Klinsman.

Indeed, I often thought that he was very German-like in his technical efficiency and intelligence.

Herr Sherriburger
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »
Herr Sherriburger

sounds like something Gascoigne would have said to his ex wife.

:P
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
sounds like something Gascoigne would have said to his ex wife.

:P

Or eaten.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »
Gazza was another superbly gifted lad.

I wonder what Fergie would have made of him at Utd, had he managed to acquire him (he was very close to)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »
Gazza was another superbly gifted lad.

I wonder what Fergie would have made of him at Utd, had he managed to acquire him (he was very close to)

He needed a father figure and someone to get him to see his 'friends' were poison. This is one of the differences that money has made, and not for the better.
In ye olde days, players would board with certain households chosen by the club and were given a stable off field enviroment. Now they don't need board and lodgings but for many they lack that guidence and it's even more vital now when very young lads are financially empowered in the way they are.

Again, I think we as a club need to look at our wage structure. The first contract, be it for 3, 4 or 5 years should be made up of a low basic but with huge  bonuses and incentives, not a particularly high appearance bonus, but goal, assist, chance creation, clean sheet bonus etc and large bonuses for trophy success, so that large earnings are exactly that, earned, not granted. The second contract could then be more like they are at the moment with larger basics as that second contract again would have been earned.   

We need to create the 'hunger' within our players that we used to have and Taggart has instilled. Each trophy increases the appetite and desire rather than sates it.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:27 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1029550/liverpool's-damian-comolli-cools-talk-of-major-summer-signings?cc=5739

Wow thanks for that revalation Comolli.  At least we know you n' Kenny won't be pi$$ing more money down the $hit hole then.

Could someone enlighten me, has a premier league club spent so much as LFC did last year and actually have a poorer squad?

This is not the thread, but having watched CC final on Sunday I am on the brink of not watching LFC and football altogether.  My passion is quickly being eroded away by our consistently inept and tactless performances.  Sunday was pure luck!  Cardiff should have won, and before anyone accuses me of not having faith or not being a true supporter can I say bleep bleep bleep off!   :P
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
Agreed Gurdeep,
Be afraid, very afraid...
Kuyt and maxi off in the summer through disillusionment, the english buys next season prove to be er...english and thus ok but never world beaters, we get a 40 mil bid from Real/barca for Suarez on the last day of the transfer season and comolli won't splash the cash...
10th at best...
Full speed ahead! I see no icebergs! What...what's that in the mist? Ack! Oh no....Aieeeeee...glug glug glug...

P.s if us lot can see it i find it deeply worrying that the power that be at LFC can not...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »
Could someone enlighten me, has a premier league club spent so much as LFC did last year and actually have a poorer squad?

This is not the thread, but having watched CC final on Sunday I am on the brink of not watching LFC and football altogether.  My passion is quickly being eroded away by our consistently inept and tactless performances. 

I know exactly where you are coming from, Gurdeep.

After being with Sky from the late 80s, I gave up in 2005.....cancelled my subscription (totally fed up with the cost of the packages and the ridiculous wages that footballers were getting).

and now I am abroad.  I was gonna cancel my package here last summer (a lot cheaper and covers far more national leagues live).  But I reckoned I would spend 500 dollars anc cover this season.  But now that deal is almost up.....and I cannot see myself subscribing again.

Instead, I will just go back to what I did in the 70s and 80s......merely watch Match of the Day.  I can download it a day later via torrent.

My love of the game has been constantly eroded over the years.

And re Liverpool, I am so frustrated that we have melons like Dalglish and Comolli at the top of the club. 

I cringe at times when I see the lack of tactics and the ill-balanced team. 

And as you say, what other team spends 112 million in one season and actually goes backwards.

The return of Dalglish is starting to remind me of Man City in the 70s.

Tony Book's five year reign from 1949 to 1979, not unlike Rafa's, was one of successfully stabilising the club and bringing some success.

BUT then in 1979, Malcolm Allison returned to manage the club for a second time and threw away vast amounts of money that summer, on pure dross.....and the club went backwards.

He squandered large sums of money on unsuccessful signings (like Steve Daley, who he paid a British record fee for) whilst selling stars such as Asa Hartford, Gary Owen and Peter Barnes.

And after a very poor start to the season, Allison was sacked in late 1980.

The poor appointment was the start of a decline that saw them relegated 3 or 4 years later.

But back to Liverpool........Dalglish is bringing in mid-table level players, and throwing out top top players (like Moreless, Kuyt, Maxi).  I see a lot of similarities with that and what Allison did at City in 1979.  Absolute madness.

Dalglish is a sorta Allison/Souness type.     

Heck, nevermind being a tripe boneheaded manager, with not one ounce of tactical acumen in his body,  I'd sack Kenny merely for the disgraceful way he has treated Dirk Kuyt.

The further away this melon in the dugout gets from Rafa's team, the further away we will be from the top of the league.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:19:51 PM by the dude abides »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
Agreed Gurdeep,
Be afraid, very afraid...
Kuyt and maxi off in the summer through disillusionment, the english buys next season prove to be er...english and thus ok but never world beaters, we get a 40 mil bid from Real/barca for Suarez on the last day of the transfer season and comolli won't splash the cash...
10th at best...
Full speed ahead! I see no icebergs! What...what's that in the mist? Ack! Oh no....Aieeeeee...glug glug glug...

P.s if us lot can see it i find it deeply worrying that the power that be at LFC can not...

we badly need a Parry, Dein, or some top football executive, barticus.

Our american based owners are getting no real guidance, I imagine, from any one with an ounce of footballing sense in Liverpool.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1029550/liverpool's-damian-comolli-cools-talk-of-major-summer-signings?cc=5739

Wow thanks for that revalation Comolli.  At least we know you n' Kenny won't be pi$$ing more money down the $hit hole then.

This is not the thread, but having watched CC final on Sunday I am on the brink of not watching LFC and football altogether.  My passion is quickly being eroded away by our consistently inept and tactless performances.  Sunday was pure luck!  Cardiff should have won, and before anyone accuses me of not having faith or not being a true supporter can I say bleep bleep bleep off!   :P

Hopefully it's just Comolli playing things down but you do worry what is happening is what we said would happen and that is that the money spent last Summer was the punt at getting CL football, and if we miss it and without it, we'll have little to spend other than what we make ourselves in sales.

Obviously UEFA's FFP rules are upon us with the time fast approaching where the year's losses start to be included in the preliminary 3 year lead up.

We have to hope we undercover some low cost stars in the making.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:40 PM »
Reds target ‘new Xabi Alonso’

Liverpool are keeping a watchful eye over Real Sociedad midfielder Inigo Martinez, with the 20-year-old being dubbed the ‘next Xabi Alonso’.

The 20-year-old has put in a series of impressive performances for the La Liga outfit after making his debut at the beginning of the campaign.

Martinez is now considered a mainstay in the starting XI having made 19 league appearances, scoring three, and has broken into the Spain U-21 squad.

His displays haven’t gone un-noticed and now Kenny Dalglish is keen to add the younger defensive midfielder to his ranks as he plans to go strengthen over the summer.

The Reds have been linked with a move to a host of tough tackling midfielders from Spain, with the club being linked with Barcelona’s Seydou Keita and Javi Martinez of Athletic Bilbao over the past week.

However, the Carling Cup holders now appear to have switched their attention to Martinez and could take him to Anfield for as little as £3m.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/gossip/2012/3/2/reds-target-new-xabi-alonso.html

Ignore the title as it's just plain daft, but these are the sorts of players we should be looking at. Players who are starting to make major ripples. Let's not wait until they make major waves as they then become too expensive.
Rafa looked at Hazard and Javi Martinez but the cash wasn't there and now they are out of our price bracket.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »
I wonder if we're seeing a tightening of the purse strings. The first two windows saw a lot of money spent, with little value and pretty much no improvement gained.

If FSG have doubts about Dalglish and or Comolli's eye for a player and value attributed to, what they can't afford to do is simply withhold funding. Standing still with player additions will see us go backwards and CL football will become increasingly difficult if not impossible.

I do think we should be seeing more from this squad of players. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
Liverpool target Barcelona starlet

Liverpool are interested in Barcelona’s emerging 20-year-old forward Cristian Tello.

The Spain Under 20-s striker is out of contract at the end of the season and is being tracked by a number of clubs including Benfica, Valencia and Malaga.

Barca boss Pep Guardiola is keen to keep Tello, and has promoted him from the Barcelona B team this year.

The young forward has already featured for the first team and scored on his first La Liga start last month, but Liverpool are now keen on bringing him to Anfield.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Liverpool-express-interest-in-Barcelona-Cristian-Tello-article873393.html

4 goals in 8 games for Barca and available on a free. This is exactly the sort of 'risk' we should be taking.

We need to be smarter with our scouting and find the next Xavi Martinez, Eden Hazard or Christian Eriksen, and take more of a chance on low cost players who have obvious talent, as all these did as soon as they broke into their respective teams, instead of waiting two or three seasons when they then become beyond our budget.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Liverpool target Barcelona starlet

Liverpool are interested in Barcelona’s emerging 20-year-old forward Cristian Tello.

The Spain Under 20-s striker is out of contract at the end of the season and is being tracked by a number of clubs including Benfica, Valencia and Malaga.

Barca boss Pep Guardiola is keen to keep Tello, and has promoted him from the Barcelona B team this year.

The young forward has already featured for the first team and scored on his first La Liga start last month, but Liverpool are now keen on bringing him to Anfield.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Liverpool-express-interest-in-Barcelona-Cristian-Tello-article873393.html

4 goals in 8 games for Barca and available on a free. This is exactly the sort of 'risk' we should be taking.

We need to be smarter with our scouting and find the next Xavi Martinez, Eden Hazard or Christian Eriksen, and take more of a chance on low cost players who have obvious talent, as all these did as soon as they broke into their respective teams, instead of waiting two or three seasons when they then become beyond our budget.

exactly.

that's common sense.

It'll never catch on though with our two top men, Penny & Como.