December 10, 2019, 04:51:30 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123390 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Clint Dempsey is not apparently a target either.

Thank Christ!

Its very hard to break that plateau without the addition of some real quality after that.

Agree it just becomes a never-ending cycle of re-arranging deck chairs as talent in the
same positions flow in and out and the squad is never complete or has a stable/spine for
a four year period.

Interesting press conference with Rodgers today.

Watched that today, delighted to see Lucas and alarmed to see Spearing. Cripes if we
could win the league by talking i think Rodgers is the man  :D At least he mentioned the
word "steel" (the loss of Sam Hyypia took some steel out of team that's never been
particularly blessed with the quality in the league.).

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
I don't think he would have used the words "exciting young player" unless he really meant it. he strikes me as a man who chooses his words carefully. The last thing he would want is to alienate himself from the fans by building up hopes with those words only to lose his credibility by unveiling someone who has to be googled because no-one has heard of him.

I suspect that having had their fingers burnt by Kenny and Commoli last season they are somewhat reluctant to give BR substantial funds until he has proved his judgement.

Compared the goings-on at Arsenal I feel there is quite a bit of stability at the club and a bright future is quite possible.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Thank Christ!

:D My sentiments exactly.

Agree it just becomes a never-ending cycle of re-arranging deck chairs as talent in the
same positions flow in and out and the squad is never complete or has a stable/spine for
a four year period.

To think we had Reina,  Alonso, Gerrard, Mascherano, Torres in the same team which was also complimented by Kuyt, Agger and the likes it makes you wonder how we didnt challenge for the league more than the one season. We had the spine of a top top side. Rafa really had built a formidable side. Its just a pity the fall out with Alonso happened because if he had stayed we possibly could have kept that team together despite the collapse of the club around them.

Watched that today, delighted to see Lucas and alarmed to see Spearing. Cripes if we
could win the league by talking i think Rodgers is the man  :D At least he mentioned the
word "steel" (the loss of Sam Hyypia took some steel out of team that's never been
particularly blessed with the quality in the league.).

Rofl  ;D ;D hilarious Ed brilliant reaction to Spearing.

He really shouldnt be still here but lets see what Rodgers can do with him.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
According to Ben Smith of the BBC, Fabio Borini is likely to become Brenda's first signing as LFC's manager.  However, he does state that the deal is not done yet.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »
I don't think he would have used the words "exciting young player" unless he really meant it. he strikes me as a man who chooses his words carefully. The last thing he would want is to alienate himself from the fans by building up hopes with those words only to lose his credibility by unveiling someone who has to be googled because no-one has heard of him.

I suspect that having had their fingers burnt by Kenny and Commoli last season they are somewhat reluctant to give BR substantial funds until he has proved his judgement.

Compared the goings-on at Arsenal I feel there is quite a bit of stability at the club and a bright future is quite possible.

Yeah its interesting as to who the signing or signings might be. I have a feeling it could be Granero from Madrid considering we supposedly had one bid rejected. I have a feeling Rodgers may have used the word exciting because hes shopping at a bigger club now moreso than it being a big player. Id love to think it was someone like Jovetic but I cant see us spending that kind of money.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »
For those who don't subscribe to The Times, here's a piece from Tony Barrett re: LFC's transfer funds.

Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool don’t have ‘wheelbarrow full of money’

Brendan Rodgers has underlined the scale of the challenge facing him as Liverpool manager after revealing that he has not been presented with “a wheelbarrow full of money” to transform the club’s under-performing squad.

Speaking at a press conference to publicize Liverpool’s forthcoming pre-season tour of North America, Rodgers admitted that he is hoping to make his first signing since taking over as manager later this week with Fabio Borini, the Roma forward, in his sights.

But it was his intimation of the limited spending power he has at his disposal that will inevitably attract most attention, particularly as it appeared to contradict a previous claim from Tom Werner, the club’s chairman, that Liverpool have “the resources to compete with anyone in football.”

The reality is that Fenway Sports Group (FSG), Liverpool’s owners, have long been frustrated by the lack of value that has been gleaned in the transfer market, hence the removal of Damien Comolli as director of football last April.

FSG have made it clear to Rodgers that he has their backing in the transfer market but they have also put a series of checks and balances in place in an attempt to prevent Liverpool from over-paying in the transfer market.

Their determination to make Liverpool operate self-sufficiently and in keeping with the guidelines of Financial Fair Play (FFP) mean Rodgers is not in a position to spend his way to success, with his transfer budget restricted to around £20 million plus the proceeds of any sales.

“I won’t be bringing in many (signings),”the Liverpool manager said. “We don’t have a wheelbarrow full of money. There is not the money that people think there is. There certainly won’t be as many as are being reported.

“For players to be associated with Liverpool is great, but the reality is we’ve only made three or four enquires about players and we hopefully can close out one deal this week, maybe two, and then we’ll add to that over the pre-season.

“I will never speak about targets and possible players. It’s not something I like to do. All I will say is there has been a whole raft of players linked with coming to Liverpool, and there are very, very few of them that are actually real targets for us.”

Liverpool had been expected to enter the transfer market early after the window was opened at the start of this month but Rodgers’ determination to make an assessment of the squad he inherited from Kenny Dalglish has prompted a more cautious approach.

The club are also continuing to put the finishing touches to a new scouting structure which will be headed by Dave Fallows once his move from Manchester City is complete. Having instigated a revamp of their whole player recruitment operation, Liverpool do not want to pre-empt its implementation by making a series of signings.

“Initially, it’s just about assessing the group, the squad and looking at the strengths, which you never know entirely until you come in,” Rodgers confirmed. “The pre-season is a little bit broken this year because of players being away for the championships and recovering.

“But certainly, come the beginning of the season I hope to have the squad that we can take through. Obviously after August, that’s it through until January. It’ll be a case of piecing it together through until then and building a squad that can hopefully compete at the top end of the league. That’s ideally what I want to do. We’ll maybe make three or four tweaks which will help the squad. We want to make the team competitive at the top end again.”
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
According to Ben Smith of the BBC, Fabio Borini is likely to become Brenda's first signing as LFC's manager.  However, he does state that the deal is not done yet.

Borini doesnt exactly come under the category of an exciting signing but if it is him good luck to the guy.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
Cheers for the article Gurdeep.

Not surprised. The owners have definitely changed tact this summer.

Its going to be a work with what youve got case this year by the looks so.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Only LFC journos I trust and so should you are Tony Barrett and Rory Smith from the Times and Ben Smith from BBC.

Ben Smith is now running this story. Think we can assume Borini is the first signing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18773700
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
Cheers for the article Gurdeep.

Not surprised. The owners have definitely changed tact this summer.

Its going to be a work with what youve got case this year by the looks so.

King Kenny & Commolli really f?cked things up last summer with their mental policy of buying young english talent!  When fans were crying out for Mata, we ended up with Downing!  The owners are well within their rights to change tact.  Kenny et al must of scared the living daylights out of them.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 09, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

Ray, it's exactly the way I feel we'll see things playing out. Too many players in is always a receipe for disaster.
Wenger has achieved what he has by keeping changes down to a minimum so there is a sense of stability and familiarity amongst the majority of the squad at any given time.
Where he has fallen short is that he's chosen not to build on a strong defensive unit with a midfield cover in front of that defence and instead has tried to defend by keeping possession and outplaying the opposition.
That is fine but when Plan A doesn't always click you need the ability to grind out the scruffy 1-0s and keep the momentum going.
Plus the fact there have been times when I feel he's had money but has been stubborn about 'investing' in a strategic large ticket purchase.
I think this is where Taggart has always shown the way. When he needed either a specific vital position filling or felt there was a certain player that was a big difference maker, he's paid the price needed and has seen the rewards.

I think to a large degree Rodgers is paying the price, with FSG's caution, for the poor purchases (either the players being poor or the prices paid being too high or a combination of both) of Comolli and Dalglish, but maybe that's not such a bad thing as Rodgers has never had the experience of big money purchases and may feel comfortable finding raw talent and potential and shaping it for himself, much like Wenger has done.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
Pretty much agree with all of that Tes. Wenger's stubborness will be his downfall or his teams. They're going to lose RVP which will be the last of the major signings. Arsenal are a team in disarray and I think it's quite possible they will finish outside the top 4 this season.

Rednose has also had to cut his cloth. This new Japanese lad will take time to integrate but having sold Park he needs to get up to speed fairly quickly. Can't see Scholes and Giggs playing too many games too.

We should remember we won the CL with players like Traore and Smicer so absolute quality in every position isn't essential. What is needed (and dude will love this) is a balanced team and hopefully BR can do what Kenny failed to.

I don't blame Henry and Co for being cautious with spending money. I would too and so would many of you I suspect. If he has a good season then next summer might see a hike in available revenue. But first we have to get through this one...
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 09, 2012, 11:15:14 PM »
The telegraph are reporting that Carroll could go out on loan. I really never see the point in that unless its with young players. I havent seen too many cases that a player comes back worth more than when they were sent out. The Aquillani loan should have taught us alot, Milan and Juve used us for the player without ever intending to stick to the agreement we had reached for a transfer.

The Telegraph also suggest that Borini isnt the exciting player Rodgers was referring to.

The next few days will be interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9387686/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-suggests-Andy-Carroll-could-go-out-on-loan-if-he-fails-to-establish-himself.html

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 09, 2012, 11:28:38 PM »
Pretty much agree with all of that Tes. Wenger's stubborness will be his downfall or his teams. They're going to lose RVP which will be the last of the major signings. Arsenal are a team in disarray and I think it's quite possible they will finish outside the top 4 this season.

Rednose has also had to cut his cloth. This new Japanese lad will take time to integrate but having sold Park he needs to get up to speed fairly quickly. Can't see Scholes and Giggs playing too many games too.

We should remember we won the CL with players like Traore and Smicer so absolute quality in every position isn't essential. What is needed (and dude will love this) is a balanced team and hopefully BR can do what Kenny failed to.

I don't blame Henry and Co for being cautious with spending money. I would too and so would many of you I suspect. If he has a good season then next summer might see a hike in available revenue. But first we have to get through this one...

I think we write off Arsenal and United too often at our own peril. Theres no doubt Van Persie will go and that would be a huge loss but Arsenal have lost so many big players in the past yet are always up there. Last season they were without Nasri, Fabregas and Wilshire for the season yet they still at one point were considered contenders for the league. I just think when Van Persie goes someone else will step up. Theyve bought Podolski and Giroud already, Wilshire should be back and there is plenty of time left in the window for movement so they will be alright.

I do think though that our squad is better than eight place. If Rogers could get us firing from the start Champions League qualification cant be ruled out but I suppose realistically I see us being anywhere from 5th - 7th. No "this is our year" predictions this year. Last year we had so many circumstances working against us I just dont think we can be as unlucky again. I hope for Rodgers sake he gets off to a decent start because whether we like it or not people will be calling for head three months in if he doesnt. He has to get time.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »

Also, if they've done their homework they'll know that the manager has never looked at the sort of player he can now, even with what we perceive to be less than the sort of budget we'd like there to be.
He has to learn to shop, at what for him, is a rarified atmosphere. Let him learn this phase before maybe moving up a grade next Summer.

Hyypia and Arbeloa are the sort of low cost players he mat just unearth. Vorm was a real value for money purchase and though it was only half a season, Sigurdsson wasn't too bad either, especially for a loanee.

Maybe he does just have an eye for a player. He certainly seems to look closely at the Dutch, German, Belgian and even Scandinavian leagues, and there is some quality and value to be had and some good young talent from there.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.