December 11, 2019, 05:52:20 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123592 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
Carroll will never be the sort of player that leads the line of a top four team, but he kept his head down and ended up improving, which is all we can ask of players.

I won't be surprised if he starts the season looking like he's lacking in confidence again. Hopefully the manager's told him where he stands (and that should be equal with everyone else and given the same chances to prove himself), and all of this is the media twisting words again to make a story where one doesn't exist.

This time I feel sorry for him. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »
he has the gift of the gab, ed.

it's hard to listen to him.  I wish he'd shut the feck up.

too much talk-talk.....let's do the walk.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »
he has the gift of the gab, ed.

it's hard to listen to him.  I wish he'd shut the feck up.

too much talk-talk.....let's do the walk.

Thankfully we're not a ship otherwise we'd already be nestled on the sea bed.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
Thankfully we're not a ship otherwise we'd already be nestled on the sea bed.

if we had been a ship, rodgers would have been forced to walk the plank.

I imagine he must talk in his sleep and also in front of the mirror.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
if we had been a ship, rodgers would have been forced to walk the plank.

I imagine he must talk in his sleep and also in front of the mirror.

There's a pirate flag joke somewhere in there.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2012, 11:42:31 PM »
Agreed, Ed, we're hearing a bit too much from Brendan at the moment. Talk about philosophy, or his football beliefs etc, but give nothing away about any aspect of our business and don't talk about individuals unless asked a specific question, to which you give an answer lacking detail.

Well after the press conference at the start of the week Rodgers has possibly got fans hopes up by pointing to an exciting young talent he expects to have tied up by the end of the week. He says he doesnt do his business in public but by saying what he did he has already contradicted himself and possibly built himself up for a fall. Borini isnt going to excite fans so if he hasnt someone that actually gets the fans talking his risks an underwhelming reaction.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »
It's hard to imagine us bringing in even 50% of what we paid out if his buys were to be sold. If we send Carroll out on loan it's an admission we made a huge error and that he's not wanted. His value will plummit and yet again we'll be held over a barrel. Why do we always seem to compound one mistake with another?

Its clear Carroll doesnt suit Rodgers style of play. He didnt suit Kennys style of play but we tried to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I think its a case of cut our losses instead of going back down the Aquillani route. If we do sell at a huge loss just make sure there are big enough clauses in any deal that can see us get some more of our money back in the next few years.

I think the fact that its the West Hams and Fulhams that are interested is testament to how much of a flop Carroll has being. That said the hammers paid 18 million for Dean Ashton at one point, Id still be expecting 15-20 for Carroll now considering hes a young English players.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2012, 01:17:06 AM »
There's a pirate flag joke somewhere in there.

Captain Pugwash (and the music) comes to mind.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2012, 07:35:47 AM »

Captain Pugwash (and the music) comes to mind.

At least Andy's ponytail makes him look like a pirate...
Absolutely with all of you above who think Brendan 'the Jolly Rodgers' should pipe down...
one moment he's saying that Bellers is a brilliant player and a part of the heartbeat of the club next there's speculation he's off to Cardiff..
he hasn't even seen Carroll in action yet and he's already criticising him....

Does not bode well...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
I think the fact that its the West Hams and Fulhams that are interested is testament to how much of a flop Carroll has being. That said the hammers paid 18 million for Dean Ashton at one point, Id still be expecting 15-20 for Carroll now considering hes a young English players.

Juan, The Hammers link seems like it's just a loan. I think the days of them spending big on transfers is over with Gold and Sullivan in charge and the debts they apparently have.

Apparently Newcastle want him back for a laughable £10M.

There's no doubt Agent Comolli did a great job for our rivals with the fees he 'negotiated'.  Dalglish should have rejected most of the deals on the cost aspect alone.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
There's no doubt Agent Comolli did a great job for our rivals with the fees he 'negotiated'.  Dalglish should have rejected most of the deals on the cost aspect alone.

it was truly ridiculous that we employed those two clearly patently unsuitable people.

and dalglish can ride off into the sunset with his big barrow-load of cash, from his season and a half at Anfield.  And meanwhile the club, and those who come after him, have to try and pick up the pieces.

personally, I would discipline or sack, anyone involved in the spotting and recruitment of andy carroll.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/21/kenny-dalglish-marquee-signing-liverpool?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

"Every time I have been in the transfer market I have been responsible and I will continue to do that. I will spend the club's money as diligently as I would spend my own."

Kenny Dalglish January 2011

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/21/kenny-dalglish-marquee-signing-liverpool?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

"Every time I have been in the transfer market I have been responsible and I will continue to do that. I will spend the club's money as diligently as I would spend my own."

Kenny Dalglish January 2011

and like so many do, Kenny talked a good game.  He said all the appropriate things, about the club, it's heritage, values, respect, etc etc.

Indeed, like Rodgers, he never shut the feck up.

But when it comes to walking the walk, that was a different matter.

For example, with the club in dire financial straits, was kenny prepared to work for free, or on a small salary, with no pay-off rights?     Nahhh, I wouldn't think so.   

Kenny's time in charge was dire.  His rubbish signings, at massive cost, are now a massive weight around the club's neck.   But he can ride off into the sunset with his big pay-off.    So much for fecken respect.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
and like so many do, Kenny talked a good game.  He said all the appropriate things, about the club, it's heritage, values, respect, etc etc.

Indeed, like Rodgers, he never shut the feck up.

But when it comes to walking the walk, that was a different matter.

For example, with the club in dire financial straits, was kenny prepared to work for free, or on a small salary, with no pay-off rights?     Nahhh, I wouldn't think so.   

Kenny's time in charge was dire.  His rubbish signings, at massive cost, are now a massive weight around the club's neck.   But he can ride off into the sunset with his big pay-off.    So much for fecken respect.

We now have at least four more highly paid, sub-standard individuals to try to get rid of. Either we have to pay them until their contract runs out and get nothing for them or we have to sell them at a vastly reduced fee and use most (if not all) of the fee received to pay them off the remaining years or come to an arrangement over the remaining years of their contract. Either way, we end up with little or no money in order to fund a replacement for them.
So we still require so many positions within the squad that need upgrading with simply nowhere need enough funds to do it with. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »
What do we all make of the Dempsey rumour?

Factually, he's a player who's had one good season and it has taken him until the age of 29 for that to happen.
Maybe he'll have another two or three, in that with his experience he's been able to use that to perform to a higher standard than previously achieved.

I just feel he's another risk, another potential 'one season wonder', which happens quite a lot with strikers, Clive Allen, Marcus Stewart, Michael Ricketts, even Van Persie etc.
With just one year on his contract anything under £5M on a one or two year deal with an option of a further year if his goals/assists/chances created stats reach a certain amount, then maybe and it is a big 'maybe'.

I'd rather, even than sort of money, was spent on a younger player with the potential to come good and more time to do it.