December 08, 2019, 02:35:31 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123071 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
Mirallas, scorer of 34 league goals in 49 starts, has a buy-out clause of €8.25million (£6.4million), or the cost of a Clint Dempsey.

If we sign Dempsey at 29 and sell Carroll at 23 for a massive loss then all that stuff from FSG about 'buying young and selling for profit' is effectively garbage...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
I'll say this much for Brendan, he knows his own mind and is not scared to call the shots.

Selling Carroll, without the bloke even getting a game, tells me of someone who knows exactly what they want.

I admire him for that.  And that strength of character, and conviction, tells me that Carragher and Gerrard may play less of a role in the future than both imagine.

Now, on the downside, Brendan has had zero experience competing at the top level in england or europe (one season, 13 wins in the top division), thus he will not know or appreciate the standard of player that is needed to compete at this new level.

So these new strikers (Borini, and possibly the Olymiapos lad to follow) are jumps into the unknown. 

But I much prefer speculating on potential, than spraying ridiculous amounts of cash around on dubious quality players.  As I have said many times in here, I would sack or discipline every person at Anfield who was positively involved in the acquisition of Andy carroll.

Rodgers approach is a far healthier approach.  Time will tell if he is aware of the quality needed for this new level.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
Juan, absolutely love that video of Suso.  Thanks for posting the link.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
Selling Carroll, without the bloke even getting a game, tells me of someone who knows exactly what they want.
Dunno dude, Joe Cole, Alberto Aquilani, Jay Spearing, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam were
all given a chance. I think there's too much hype about this system thing with Rodgers like he
discovered DNA or something, I also think he talks too much and don't like his attitude that
we're some kind of small club that he's going to resurrect or whatever. He reminds me of an
annoying kid who went to see a movie and keeps going on about how brilliant it is even
though you haven't seen it.

I wonder what Rafa would have done with Carroll (coached him into a centre-back  :D). Anyway
I preferred his understated no-nonsense approach (very much his own man and not the owners
man). This BR gives me a headache with all his wisdom. I say to him stfu and get us top 4 in
his first season and then maybe he'll have a shred of credibility...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 17, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »
If we sign Dempsey at 29 and sell Carroll at 23 for a massive loss then all that stuff from FSG about 'buying young and selling for profit' is effectively garbage...

Exactly. Dempsey has taken until the age of nearly 30 to have 'that season'. What evidence is there that he will have another? How few seasons has he got left to accomplish it in?

I'd rather pay out the money on a younger player with the next 6-8 seasons to offer us.

Dempsey has no time to settle in. We can't give him a season to get used to being at a 'big club'.

Dempsey's not that much younger than Maxi. He won't come here to earn a lot less than Maxi's salary. Where is the point in 'selling' a player who is proven at the highest level, an international for one of the biggest international sides in the world and a player who is both settled at the club and in the city to bring in a player who is none of the above, who's only real claim to fame is to have the same country of birth on his birth certificate as the owners.

A one year deal, with an option for us to offer a second based on performances this season, on a salary half of what Maxi was receiving, and a transfer fee south of £5M. That's still an outlay of more than £7M for one season.

Everytime I think about it or write anything about it, the less sense it makes each time. You should make your own veterans and senior players, not buy them in. It's the same as my belief on squad players, you make your own, young players on the way up, ex-first teamers who have just been 'upgraded'. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 18, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
Juan, absolutely love that video of Suso.  Thanks for posting the link.

Glad you enjoyed it Gurdeep. Suso sure looks like a top player in the making.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 18, 2012, 12:55:12 AM »
If you dont want your eyes to bleed stop reading now.

The Daily mail is reporting that we are close to agreeing a 10 million pound fee with Fulham for Dempsey!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

If that has any truth in it Id love to know who the F**k negotiates transfer deals at Liverpool because clearly they have been at the club for about ten years now, dont get enough for the players we sell and pay highly over the odds for players we sign.

If the Mail are exaggerating and the fee is more like 5 million then I could live with that but 10 million for a 29 year old gamble is ludicrous.

Could there be more to it than just signing another player. Is it anything to do with the fact that we have American owners, we are currently touring America and our coverage in America will be heightened ten fold if we sign their golden boy while we are there? Is that why we are paying the inflated price. I dont know, after all the talk of investing in youth if this deal turns out to be in line with whats being reported Id be shocked and a little confused.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 18, 2012, 02:55:18 AM »
Another Suso video, the final against Greece.

I think we possibly have our own Spanish Jack Wilshire in the making. He could possibly make a small first team impact this season because he looks like the exact sort of player Rodgers will look to implement into his  system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tWtvTkP_5II
Appeared to be running the show! (18,000 views on Youtube  :o )

10 million for a 29 year old gamble is ludicrous.
with a year left on his contract (i think!). I refuse to believe it. Mind you that could be the trigger that
sets in motion a Newcastle striker moving to United which would see Berbatov move on (to Fulham ? :) ).

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
Sky reporting that Carroll has told Liverpool he refuses to leave the club on a permanent deal and wants them to consider loaning him out.

In fairness to the player he actually seems genuinely devastated the club wants rid of him and he seems to want to prove himself here. After his last 18 months here its admirable that he doesnt jump at the chance at going back to the Toon because for him it probably represents the easiest option.

Whether any of that ends up making a difference is another matter because as Jim B suggested in his piece yesterday Rodgers obviously doesnt believe Carroll is technically good enough.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 18, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
FSG have apparently shot thmselves in the foot by announcing the signing of clint dempsey on their own official site. Fulham have gone mad, said they arent even in negotiations and the story has now been removed by FSG.  Once again we look like amateurs.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 18, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
FSG have apparently shot thmselves in the foot by announcing the signing of clint dempsey on their own official site. Fulham have gone mad, said they arent even in negotiations and the story has now been removed by FSG.  Once again we look like amateurs.
Yeah I thought we were going to sort out our media relations. Here we go again p*ssing off
another small club.

I finally bothered to check out Clint Dempsey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArBu5Vwi9Ek

Strikes me as a player to have as an option from the bench at a big club and then it'd be up to
himself how he progressed. Obviously if he was much younger there might be some optimism
about his prospects. In reality how long can this player be considered first 11 at Liverpool (if ever?)
Where does he fit into the plans for 2013/2014...? Which begs the question why we're shelling
out £10 million on him??

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »
Which begs the question why we're shelling out £10 million on him??

Birthplace? American emotional prejudice? Lack of football knowledge? He has compromising pictures of Linda?
He has compromising pictures of Werner?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »
We're linked with Joe Allen, but we've already got two young central midfielders in Shelvey and Henderson. Surely we should be looking to move on the likes of Spearing and Adam before adding any more and then there's the question of Aquilani.

Additionally, we need to be looking at the wide right forward position as we've lost Dirk and last season's solutions, Henderson and Downing, are no sort of solution.

Apparently Doni has left, though how true that is I'm not sure. I would have thought that Jones would be first in the queue to leave. I'd prefer to have Gulacsi as cover for Reina rather than Jones.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2012, 01:51:58 AM »
We're linked with Joe Allen
Appears dynamic, needs to work on his shooting though (dreadful)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGZ9Oq5XXVE

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
We're linked with Joe Allen, but we've already got two young central midfielders in Shelvey and Henderson. Surely we should be looking to move on the likes of Spearing and Adam before adding any more and then there's the question of Aquilani.

Joe Allen 15 million and Clint Dempsey 10 million - Have FSG not learned anything since overpaying for Henderson and Downing last summer. It almost feels like an identical situation we're in.

An older player that none of the fans want the club to splash so much money on and a younger up and coming player that appears to be unproven and way overvalued. What next we will be trying to spend 30 million on Peter Odimwinge. We really need to be more clever with our cash. How Swansea think they can attempt to sign Siggurson for 7 or 8 million and sell us Allen for 15+. They must think we're mugs.