December 07, 2019, 04:26:04 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 122991 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #345 on: July 20, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
Joe Allen 15 million and Clint Dempsey 10 million - Have FSG not learned anything since overpaying for Henderson and Downing last summer. It almost feels like an identical situation we're in.
As long as i don't hear they need a season to settle in and it's not quite gelling yet with
the new system  ;)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 20, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
We are playing 4-3-3 next season and Lucas is still recovering from his injury so we need another midfielder and Allen fits the bill.

Our 4-3-3 next season could look like this:-

--------------------Reina--------------------

---Johnson---Skrtel---Agger----Enrique----

--------------------Lucas-------------------

-----------Henderson----Allen------------

-----Borini-------Suarez--------Gerrard------

Or swap Henderson for Dempsey and put Gerrard further back.

We need Allen because a future threesome of Lucas-Henderson-Allen when all 3 have great technique, possess good ball retention and have great game intelligence means we will be sorted in midfield for years.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 20, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
As long as i don't hear they need a season to settle in and it's not quite gelling yet with
the new system  ;)

;D Ive been known to use that when defending Carroll, Downing and Henderson last season.

I wont be making the same mistake again this year, new players better hit the ground running this year or else........ :o

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 20, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
Sterling seems to be off out on loan. So much for the "if your good enough your old enough" then. In fairness though a season adapting to the Premier League on loan could be a good move for all concerned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9415831/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-may-loan-out-rising-star-Raheem-Sterling-as-he-seeks-to-dampen-hype.html

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 20, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
;D Ive been known to use that when defending Carroll, Downing and Henderson last season.
I'm the same and stand by it (though naturally it's disappointing to have had to say it about Downing).

Even reasonably there's an argument about adapting to a new system. In my opinion, a smart person
introduces a new system in a measured and staged fashion without compromising results (Reading)
and ditto the playing staff would ideally be brought in to complement what we have in so far as that is
possible without major disruptions.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 20, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
They must think we're mugs.

How wrong would they be?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 20, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
Sterling seems to be off out on loan. So much for the "if your good enough your old enough" then. In fairness though a season adapting to the Premier League on loan could be a good move for all concerned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9415831/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-may-loan-out-rising-star-Raheem-Sterling-as-he-seeks-to-dampen-hype.html

I didn't think he could be loaned out until he was 18. I don't think the age or talent is the issue. Rodgers will have assessed whether or not he is mature enough and mentally ready. A season out on loan out of the spotlight without the pressure and expectation will give him a firm foundation to build on.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »
whether Sterling stays or gets loaned out, I wish Rodgers would stop f.ucking pontificating each morning, in front of the world;s media, about business that should be done behind closed doors.

despite what our 39 year old manager thinks, endlessly talking and airing our business in public each day, is most definitely NOT the Liverpool Way.

so Brendan, do the club a favour, and shut your trap for once.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
whether Sterling stays or gets loaned out, I wish Rodgers would stop f.ucking pontificating each morning, in front of the world;s media, about business that should be done behind closed doors.

despite what our 39 year old manager thinks, endlessly talking and airing our business in public each day, is most definitely NOT the Liverpool Way.

Agreed, originally Andy Carroll being loaned was an option, now it's definitely not?
Then he doesn't discuss transfers and yet (unless I'm mistaken) has been mentioning
someone called Joe Allen and Clint Dempsey in the space of a week??

I think Tes was spot on with his line about the Evening Standard in Swansea.

I like a manager that has an ego but guaranteed whenever Bill Shankly or Alex Ferguson
opened their mouths, the reason was always to somehow benefit or get an advantage for
their clubs (ditto Mourinho). It's never because they love the sound of their voices and want
to impress the (generally despised) journos in front of them with their breadth of intelligence.
I'm hoping this is all about LFC and not Brendan Rodgers...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »
How wrong would they be?

So right.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »
I didn't think he could be loaned out until he was 18. I don't think the age or talent is the issue. Rodgers will have assessed whether or not he is mature enough and mentally ready. A season out on loan out of the spotlight without the pressure and expectation will give him a firm foundation to build on.

Very much agreed Tes, a season out on loan will do him a world of good especially if he could get some decent playing time. Somewhere like Wigan where Martinez tries to play football would be ideal but I cant see Wigan wanting much to do with LFC again.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 21, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »

Dude I agree and disagree. Rodgers is being very open about everything, his style of football, his transfer targets etc etc but in a way I think hes trying to use the media to shift the players he doesnt want while trying to get the ball rolling for the players he does.

Like he was initially vague with the media about Carroll possibly to flush out potential suitors. Likewise with Allen he couldnt bid due to the agreement between himself and swansea but if Allen requests to leave or if another club bids Liverpool can make their move.

But I do agree going forward Id prefer Brendan to practice what he preaches. Hes said a couple of times to the media that he wouldnt be talking about transfer targets but as I say he has.

I saw Fergie admitted he bid for RVP today. He said that Arsenal leaked it to the press and thats why he was willing to announce it. I suppose you cant blame Arsenal for attempting to create an auction situation but in fairness to United they generally go about their business extremely privately. Its the way a club should operate.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 21, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
I like a manager that has an ego but guaranteed whenever Bill Shankly or Alex Ferguson
opened their mouths, the reason was always to somehow benefit or get an advantage for
their clubs (ditto Mourinho). It's never because they love the sound of their voices and want
to impress the (generally despised) journos in front of them with their breadth of intelligence.
I'm hoping this is all about LFC and not Brendan Rodgers...

As I was saying to Dude, in fairness to Rodgers I think some of what hes saying does have a purpose. I think hes trying to prevent the deals for Allen and Dempsey dragging out.

By the way it seems Allen is nailed on according to Sky Sports. He better be worth it.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7919283/Reds-close-on-Allen-deal

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 21, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
As I was saying to Dude, in fairness to Rodgers I think some of what hes saying does have a purpose. I think hes trying to prevent the deals for Allen and Dempsey dragging out.
Maybe, but he shouldn't say that he doesn't discuss transfers and in the next breadth discuss transfers.

By the way it seems Allen is nailed on according to Sky Sports. He better be worth it.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7919283/Reds-close-on-Allen-deal
£15 million 's a lot for a kid. I watched the stuff on Youtube and while it's nice to see a young lad
having a go and a bit of verve, how these players make the step up to LFC first 11...

tbh, the guy (Powell, 18, ) United signed for £4million had something really special with his shooting
(rarely seen anyone strike a ball so cleanly, with a short pull back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA53kGavLr0

Anyway Allen, i think it's 7 goals in 130 games for the Swans, hardly prolific...

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 21, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Maybe, but he shouldn't say that he doesn't discuss transfers and in the next breadth discuss transfers.

Completely agree, hopefully it wont be the trend going forward.

£15 million 's a lot for a kid. I watched the stuff on Youtube and while it's nice to see a young lad
having a go and a bit of verve, how these players make the step up to LFC first 11...

tbh, the guy (Powell, 18, ) United signed for £4million had something really special with his shooting
(rarely seen anyone strike a ball so cleanly, with a short pull back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA53kGavLr0

Anyway Allen, i think it's 7 goals in 130 games for the Swans, hardly prolific...

Rodgers has to get it right on Allen. He had enough time at Swansea to know if Allen would make the grade at a bigger club and clearly he thinks he will. We cant waste anymore money.