December 09, 2019, 08:43:41 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123302 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #375 on: July 21, 2012, 11:31:56 PM »
We are playing 4-3-3 next season and Lucas is still recovering from his injury so we need another midfielder and Allen fits the bill.

Our 4-3-3 next season could look like this:-

--------------------Reina--------------------

---Johnson---Skrtel---Agger----Enrique----

--------------------Lucas-------------------

-----------Henderson----Allen------------

-----Borini-------Suarez--------Gerrard------

Or swap Henderson for Dempsey and put Gerrard further back.

We need Allen because a future threesome of Lucas-Henderson-Allen when all 3 have great technique, possess good ball retention and have great game intelligence means we will be sorted in midfield for years.

We are definitely going to line up something like that Ed but its going to be hard to tell what Rodgers has in mind when it comes to the team. I think Gerrard is no longer going to be first name on the team sheet, theres no definite position you would have him play. And as you say does Henderson play and where does Dempsey fit in when he signs. Interesting times!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 21, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »
Where though?

For argument's sake this lineup (I stuck Dempsey 6' 1" up front because he can header the
ball from what I've seen and because I'm not entirely sure where Carroll fits into BRs 4-3-3).

Johnson                                               Enrique

Henderson              Lucas
                                  Gerrard
                                        |
                  Suarez                     Downing
                               (Dempsey?)

An alternative formation incorporating Allen (I stuck Borini in there though I
see his role as a sub).

Allen              Lucas
                              Henderson   

Gerrard
                                        |
                  Suarez                  Borini

Now I've gone crazy with the strikers and left out most of Kenny's signings:

Allen              Lucas
                                 Gerrard   

Dempsey
                                        |
                  Suarez                  Borini

This one includes Allen but retains physicality with Henderson in the middle & Dempsey up front .

Allen              Lucas
                              Henderson   

Gerrard
                                        |
                  Suarez                  Dempsey

Then finally, I stick Carroll in and left out the squad players (Dempsey, Borini & Allen)

Gerrard              Lucas
                               Henderson
                                        |
                  Suarez                     Downing
                                   Carroll

Then I decided to stop  :D

Lol the two Eds are giving themselves headaches over our potential lineup next season.

Its clear Rodgers will play the 433 he played at Swansea. If he signs Dempsey and Allen I see them as starters, likewise Borini and Suarez. Gerrard will probably get the nod because I cant see Rodgers upsetting the apple cart too early by leaving him out. Lucas when fully fit is a certainty. Not many places up for grabs if we do sign who we are being linked with. Looking at the players we have Adam and Carroll wont get near the starting eleven imho. In fact I think Adams a gonner.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 21, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
We are definitely going to line up something like that Ed but its going to be hard to tell what Rodgers has in mind when it comes to the team. I think Gerrard is no longer going to be first name on the team sheet, theres no definite position you would have him play. And as you say does Henderson play and where does Dempsey fit in when he signs. Interesting times!

If Gerrard carries on with England, it's bound to take it's toll. If he finds himself starting less regularly then he knows what he has to do. Plenty before him have done it and reaped the rewards.

Wherever he plays he's going to have to show more discipline than he has in the past. His best season was out wide right and with the dearth of cover there it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to be used there.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 21, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »
Lol the two Eds are giving themselves headaches over our potential lineup next season.

Ed to Ed.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:40 AM »
Rodgers has to get it right on Allen. He had enough time at Swansea to know if Allen would make the grade at a bigger club and clearly he thinks he will. We cant waste anymore money.

Also, we already have two young central midfielders, in Shelvey and Henderson, at the club.
I'd prefer to see Rodgers work with them and concentrate what funds we do have on strengthening the wide forward areas, especially as we've lost Dirk and Maxi already, and we could add Bellamy to the list aswell.

Then there's the centre half positions. And what about some competition for Enrique at left back, and can we rely on the fitness of Johnson and Kelly to make sure we're well covered at right back.

There just seems to be far more pressing matters and need for funds than to be spending a huge chunk of our budget on yet another young central midfielder. We all know it will take time and I'm sure we'll all understand if the manager addresses other areas of the team and squad before the centre of midfield. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 22, 2012, 01:24:17 AM »

Ed to Ed.  ;D

two Eds are better than one.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 22, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
HAHAHA   :)  :D

Really 15 million for Allen and of his ability and age sounds right to me. 15 million is a small price to pay for a player who could be key to our midfield for the next 10 years.

Plus, he won't be on too much wage wise.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 22, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
15 million is a small price to pay for a player who could be key to our midfield for the next 10 years.

can the lad manage to reach the Anfield sign though......or will he need a step-ladder.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 22, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
who could be key to our midfield for the next 10 years.
Anyone occupying the Liverpool midfield for 10 years would need to be world class.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 22, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
Anyone occupying the Liverpool midfield for 10 years would need to be world class.

anybody occupying Rafa's midfield would need to be close to, or world class.

anybody in kenny, woy or houllier's midfield, merely needed to be average (and ideally cost a lot).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 22, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
anybody in kenny, woy or houllier's midfield, merely needed to be average (and ideally cost a lot).

As good as that, Dude, are you sure?  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
HAHAHA   :)  :D

Really 15 million for Allen and of his ability and age sounds right to me. 15 million is a small price to pay for a player who could be key to our midfield for the next 10 years.

Does that mean our budget is bigger than we're all thinking it is, as there are a lot more positions that need quality to be recruited for them before central midfield.

Or maybe we have buyers lined up for all our excess and sub standard central midfielders.

I just think this is one signing we don't need to make yet and the price yet again is the top side of too high.

Micu for £2M is an example of value, as was the Podolski and Marin signings. Bayern did well getting Xherdan Shaqiri for the price they did.

Yet again there's quality and value to be had but we appear to be choosing another route entirely.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 22, 2012, 04:47:50 PM »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 22, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
I just think this is one signing we don't need to make yet and the price yet again is the top side of too high.
I mean Kagawa cost in the £15million ballpark:

Manchester United have agreed a deal reported to be worth an intial £12m to sign Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa from German side Borussia Dortmund.

The 23-year-old needs to pass a medical and obtain a UK work permit, but the Old Trafford club expect both to be completed by the end of June.

It is thought the fee could reach £17m depending on success and appearances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18262878

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 22, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
It will most likely be £11m plus £4m in add ons.

Budget is not bigger than we think it is but the system we are going to play means that we need another midfielder. Allen fits the bill for Rodgers.

If we play 4-3-3 then we'd have Lucas, Henderson, Aquilani, Adam, Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey and Suso who can play as part of that three. One suspects Aquilani is going and as I stated we offered Adam as bait for Dempsey. That means Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard with Shelvey and Suso supplementing those three. With Lucas coming off a big injury and Gerrard being injury prone, we definitely do need another midfielder so that it gives us extra depth in a 4-3-3 formation.

I don't think many other positions do need looking at really. The defence is sorted. We just need to add another forward to Suarez and Borini, plus a replacement for Carroll.

I expect to sign 4 players in total this window. Borini, Allen, Dempsey and Carroll's replacement.