December 09, 2019, 08:44:34 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123307 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #390 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »
Enrique needs cover/competition, Kelly and Johnson between them struggle to cover a full season, Agger breaks regularly and Carra really shouldn't be a first team player of any sort. Skrtel may/may not have had his head turned and if we have three attacking/forward positions Suarez, Borini, (Dempsey) and Carroll's replacement aren't enough to cover 3 positions if 5 (or 6) midfielders aren't enough to cover 3 midfield positions.

We seem to go through every Summer window unable to resist adding a central midfielder and unable to add a wide forward/winger of any talent. It's like Groundhog Day.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 23, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Enrique has Jack Robinson and Andre Wisdom as competition plus Glen Johnson can play in that position. We shouldn't waste money on a left back.

Kelly and Johnson together have the right back slot sorted between them. Flanagan and McLaughlin are next in line, so it would be very foolish to spend money on the right back area.

Wisdom, Sama, Coates and Wilson will and can back up Skrtel, Agger, Coates and Carra. I don't think we need to spend money on this area this season. Once Carra retires then yes and if Coates doesn't step up then yes, however at this time I would say no.

It looks like we may get Ba plus £12m for Carroll. This means in our squad a forward line of Suarez, Borini, Dempsey, Ba plus Carroll's replacement. Plus Morgan.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 23, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Enrique has Jack Robinson and Andre Wisdom as competition plus Glen Johnson can play in that position. We shouldn't waste money on a left back.

Kelly and Johnson together have the right back slot sorted between them. Flanagan and McLaughlin are next in line, so it would be very foolish to spend money on the right back area.

Wisdom, Sama, Coates and Wilson will and can back up Skrtel, Agger, Coates and Carra. I don't think we need to spend money on this area this season. Once Carra retires then yes and if Coates doesn't step up then yes, however at this time I would say no.

It looks like we may get Ba plus £12m for Carroll. This means in our squad a forward line of Suarez, Borini, Dempsey, Ba plus Carroll's replacement. Plus Morgan.

Please Santa, for the love of god can we have some wingers!!!!! We can have all the defenders and strikers (odd considering Rodgers only likes playing one..) in the world but without a decent midfield they'll do nowt...

Interesting now that it's all the youngsters coming through...another thing which will not be given any credit for due to Rafa building it...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:46 PM »
Kelly and Johnson together have the right back slot sorted between them.

Ordinarily I'd agree but as both are as liable to breaking as Agger, 'sorted' as not quite how I feel about it, and a couple of untried youngsters, especially Ryan McLaughlin, to push Enrique and keep his mind 'from wandering' as it appeared to during the second half of the season on too many occasions, appears to say we'll trust in young players in these positions but not the plethora of more senior players in midfield.

My confusion is building.

I also seem to have missed the Dempsey signing. As they used to say at school, I must try harder and pay more attention.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:30 PM »
Interesting now that it's all the youngsters coming through...another thing which will not be given any credit for due to Rafa building it...

So what does this appear to tell us. Rodgers has lots of trust or very little money?  ;D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
So what does this appear to tell us. Rodgers has lots of trust or very little money?  ;D

the latter methinks...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 23, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
who needs money, when we have the biggest source of hot air since the Hindenburg.

we're gonna blow the opposition away.

(cue a very cross Martin entering arena, to kick my posterior) 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
who needs money, when we have the biggest source of hot air since the Hindenburg.

we're gonna blow the opposition away.

(cue a very cross Martin entering arena, to kick my posterior) 

& we've got THE SYSTEM!

Jesus, when they started off the friendly against Toronto by refusing take the ball beyond their
own 18 yard area for the first 10 minutes, i actually started reading the advertising hoardings.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »

The Hindenburg's air did get a touch on the hot side.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »
Is that the same Andre Wisdom who played right back against Toronto? (and looked rather green to me).

"Though operating most regularly in the centre of defence, he can also apply his skills on the right or in midfield."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team/player/andre-wisdom

The Henry's Ayre was not the rightful heir (to the md position).
They did err methinks cos the Air stinks!

Please Santa, for the love of god can we have some wingers!!!!!
To enter a season where Stewart Downing, 28, is the only recognised winger would deny us some
width perhaps? (here we go overlapping full-backs...i'm not convinced)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 24, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »

To enter a season where Stewart Downing, 28, is the only recognised winger would deny us some
width perhaps? (here we go overlapping full-backs...i'm not convinced)

Maybe Carra can get out on the wing? He will surely have more maneuverability than the Hindenburg? Hmm then again....

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 24, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
Maybe Carra can get out on the wing? He will surely have more maneuverability than the Hindenburg?
would probably go down like a lead Zeppelin  :D

I note Sitee are top notch in the Sports Science department

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18887653

These are areas (while we can't afford £30million transfers) that we need to excel at
to get a cost-effective competitive edge (no excuses really).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »
From the Times:

Swansea stick to guns and reject player-plus-cash deal for Joe Allen

Swansea City have indicated that they will not accept a knockdown fee for Joe Allen or any makeweights from Liverpool after they turned down a player-plus-cash deal for the Wales midfield player.

Liverpool had been willing to pay Swansea in the region of £10 million and allow a squad player, believed to be Jonjo Shelvey, to move to the Liberty Stadium on loan for next season, but the offer was rejected by Huw Jenkins, the Swansea chairman.

Swansea’s valuation of Allen stands at £15 million, in keeping with an exit clause that was inserted in the four-year contract signed by the 22-year-old last summer.

Although Allen has not asked to leave Swansea, his present club recognise the attraction of a potential move to Merseyside, where the midfield player would be reunited with Brendan Rodgers, the new Liverpool manager who arrived at Anfield from the South Wales club last month.

Jenkins, though, is adamant that the full valuation must be met before he considers sanctioning the departure of Swansea’s most prized asset.

Tottenham Hotspur are also interested in Allen, who is in the Great Britain Olympic squad, and could make a move should Luka Modric finally complete a transfer to Real Madrid. But Liverpool remain favourites to capture Allen’s signature.

The complication for Liverpool is Rodgers’s agreement with Swansea not to return to his former club to try to sign any of their players for the next 12 months. It is understood, however, that the accord can be dropped at Swansea’s request if a deal suits them, meaning that it is up to Liverpool to make an offer for Allen that is too good to be turned down.

So now hopefully we move on. £10M + the use of Shelvey for a season (though that benefits us just as much) is more than a good offer for a player with a solitary season in the PL.

Moussa Sissoko would cost about the same and would be a better buy having played in Ligue 1 since his debut in the 2007-08 season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 25, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2178503/Arsenal-agree-Santi-Cazorla-fee-16m-Malaga.html

The Gunners have agreed personal terms with the player and a fee of £16million with the club, who must settle outstanding debts before the end of the month or face relegation from La Liga. And Wenger is  confident the 27-year-old will not be the final signing of the summer. Wenger admires the Spanish winger and has swooped to take advantage of the financial uncertainty afflicting Qatari-backed Malaga.

Wenger looks to have changed tac with the signings of Podolski (27) and Giroud (25) and now Cazorla (27) and also seems to be spending a fair sum of money (for him).

Also it's interesting to see that the Arab Sugar Daddy at Malaga doesn't appear to be the answer to all their prayers.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Confusing  ::)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2012/07/25/3264418/rodgers-blasts-unfair-criticism-of-carroll

"There is no doubt he is a terrific talent."

"For me, your game is based on your players, the players you have."