December 08, 2019, 02:34:16 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123063 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #435 on: July 27, 2012, 11:27:39 PM »
Yeah, the media don't like AVB...
Wait 'til the press cotton on to there being two Mourinho disciples managing top clubs in direct competition
(actually we're playing Spurs tomorrow). Cue endless articles with them pictured head to head. I'm thinking
they may cast AVB as the arrogant remote type vs. Brendan the humble man manager. Time will tell who comes
out on top...

I don't think Brendan will fit in Mourinho's coat though. He's looking a bit tubby: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179935/Brendan-Rodgers-gives-Liverpool-owners-180-page-dossier-clubs-future.html (Third picture down).
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
If Skrtel looks like leaving then one name I'd put forward to replace him is Montpellier's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa. Both AC Milan and Arsenal have been linked with him (always a decent guide when big teams are linked to a player) and we are likely to get him for less than we'd get for Skrtel (especially if we start asking the sort of price any other club would ask for an international player, with two years left on his contract, which we want to keep), as he's only got a year left on his contract. At 23 he's the ideal sort of age we should be looking at and he's got 3 years first team experience in the French top league.

At the moment I still don't think Wilson's ready to cover for anything other than the odd game, Kelly's yet to play at centre half for the first team, and then's there's Carra  ::).

If Skrtel leaves or looks like leaving we have to be ready. Agger with one of Coates or Carra is simply not enough, especially considering Agger will break a few times during the season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
Spurs are after Allen and for less than we've got to pay:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/264339/Tottenham-go-for-cut-price-Swansea-star-Joe-Allen/

Do Spurs not have a set of scouts of their own?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
Liverpool accept Alberto Aquilani offer from Fiorentina

Liverpool have accepted an undisclosed offer from Fiorentina for Italian midfielder Alberto Aquilani.

The 28-year-old has flown to Italy from the Reds' pre-season tour of the United States to complete his move.

Liverpool are likely to step up their attempts to sign Swansea's Joe Allen if the deal proceeds as expected.

Aquilani has failed to settle at Anfield since signing in 2009 for £20m from Roma and has been on loan for the last two seasons.

His stints at AC Milan last term and Juventus in the 2010-11 season mean he did not play for former Reds' managers Kenny Dalglish and only made two appearances for Roy Hodgson.

And despite having two years' left on his contract and completing pre-season under new boss Brendan Rodgers, it appears that his time at Liverpool is coming to a conclusion.

Rafael Benitez brought Aquilani to Anfield as a replacement for Xabi Alonso, but he struggled with injury and made 26 appearances in his first season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19043308

If it's true, and I have my doubts, I wonder how much it cost us to get them to take him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 30, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »
Arsenal have signed Santi Cazorla for around £15M or a Joe Allen. That's 3 decent deals they've struck this Summer.

There seems to be some decent deals out that but as per we seem to be turning our nose up at them.

And they might be getting Nuri Sahin on a season's loan.

Nuri Sahin, Santi Cazorla, Joe Allen - spot the odd one out.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 30, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »
this is what scares me.

i.e. teams that were miles ahead of us last season, are strengthening even more for next season, with top quality technical players from mainland europe...........while the quality of lad we are looking to bring in (allen) scares me.

allen is 5 feet 6 inches.........simply too small at this level.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 30, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
this is what scares me.

i.e. teams that were miles ahead of us last season, are strengthening even more for next season, with top quality technical players from mainland europe...........while the quality of lad we are looking to bring in (allen) scares me.

allen is 5 feet 6 inches.........simply too small at this level.

Terrifying really....Maxi and Kuyt gone, Aquilani going and Skrtel and Agger probably going. Maybe Skrtel and Agger have seen something that has unnerved them...
Thats a heck of a lot of skilful talent being let go to balance the books...
The Yanks do realise that balancing the books is all very well but not much use if we struggle to get into the top half of the table?
So now we're being linked with the likes of Allen...A couple of mil less than Cazorla? Have we not learned anything after last summers transfer debacle??

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 30, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Terrifying really....Maxi and Kuyt gone, Aquilani going and Skrtel and Agger probably going. Maybe Skrtel and Agger have seen something that has unnerved them...
Thats a heck of a lot of skilful talent being let go to balance the books...
The Yanks do realise that balancing the books is all very well but not much use if we struggle to get into the top half of the table?
So now we're being linked with the likes of Allen...A couple of mil less than Cazorla? Have we not learned anything after last summers transfer debacle??

we've learned nothing, barticus.

we are paying major money for limited talent.   Whereas other clubs, like arsenal, can pay similar types of money, for top technical talent from europe.

this close-season, we have actually gone backwards.  Losing Kuyt and Maxi, on top of Mereless last year, is utter madness.  Their replacements are of lesser quality, and usually very expensive.

and our rivals are moving further ahead, with their own new players this summer.

we are downsizing.  The regular fan will catch that on in the next year or two.  The yanks thought they could do it on the cheap, and will learn otherwise. 

Thus, they won't pay the money and bring in a top chief executive (like a david dein).   They won't pay the money and bring in a top experienced manager (like a rafa benitez).  Instead they prefer to bring in a young lad, that they can recruit for peanuts (and pretend that it is all part of some progressive plan for our future well-being).

they won't pay the wages, to have top people like kuyt, maxi and mereless, on our books.  Thus they ship them out - regardless of the fact that they were our top players.

in any other industry, this is called downsizing.

I suspect that come February or March, they will have a riot on their hands at Anfield.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 30, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
The only thing we're downsizing is the quality of player we're aiming for when compared to other clubs, and the fees we seem prepared to pay are not being downsized relative to the lesser level of quality.

It's as though January and Summer 2011 never happened.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 31, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
With City having two bids turned for Agger and Skrtel rumours still going strong, not going for Jan Vertonghen, especially when we were talking about £7M, looks like a mistake. Even if neither leave it gives us cover and competition for both and makes  sure Carra remains a 'last resort'.

This is exactly what I mean about Rodgers having to keep an eye on potential replacements for certain players if the re-organising / downsizing means we fail to get CL football in the next two years. The owners need to understand this and be ready as in this example to help Rodgers out with transfer 'cashflow'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 31, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
Also, when it became obvious that fourth was just 'pie in the sky' under Dalglish last season, we suggested that he should have used the remainder of the season to blood Coates and prepare him for this season.

If he had we would know if we already had Agger or Skrtel's replacement in Coates and in reality it would be last season's Coates we would be looking replace.

We bought both Agger and Skrtel whilst younger, for sensible prices. We should already know whether Coates makes it three or whether we do have to replace any outgoing centre half with a top replacement or we can promote Coates and then look for the 'next' Skrtel, Agger, Coates type for sensible cash to develop. It would have also given the manager some extra cash to reinforce another position.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Also, when it became obvious that fourth was just 'pie in the sky' under Dalglish last season, we suggested that he should have used the remainder of the season to blood Coates and prepare him for this season.

If he had we would know if we already had Agger or Skrtel's replacement in Coates and in reality it would be last season's Coates we would be looking replace.

that is what should have happened last year - kenny giving the younger lads a chance.

but like i said at the time, come Feb/march/April/May, dalglish was fighting for his job.......and playing newbies was never gonna happen.

so much for the club being bigger than any individual.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 31, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
Also, when it became obvious that fourth was just 'pie in the sky' under Dalglish last season
I disagree Tes. The performances up to the injury to Lucas in the league, the profligacy in front of goal,
the disruption of the Suarez affair, plus the two cup runs suggest to me that we were closer than a lot of
people give us credit for to mounting a challenge for 4th last season. Imo, the problems are rooted in the
incompetence/short-sightedness that lies at the heart of decision-making within the club across a number
of areas.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 31, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »
I disagree Tes. The performances up to the injury to Lucas in the league, the profligacy in front of goal,
the disruption of the Suarez affair, plus the two cup runs suggest to me that we were closer than a lot of
people give us credit for to mounting a challenge for 4th last season. Imo, the problems are rooted in the
incompetence/short-sightedness that lies at the heart of decision-making within the club across a number
of areas.

Ed, I'm on about the point in Feb/March or when ever it was and it was obvious we weren't making fourth, we should have turned that situation to our advantage and blooded the likes of Coates and given Shelvey much more time. We said so at the time.

Now it would have benefitted us with the rumours circulating about Agger and Skrtel. If one leaves we know we could /couldn't replace them straight off with Coates and therfore whether we were bringing in a younger player to replace Coates as cover or a player to replace Agger/Skrtel as Coates wasn't ready.

Your right about short-sighted decision-making and it was Dalglish's that could end up costing us.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
Ed, I'm on about the point in Feb/March or when ever it was and it was obvious we weren't making fourth
Dunno, it was such a shambles at that point anyway.

Your right about short-sighted decision-making and it was Dalglish's that could end up costing us.
Kenny, naturally deserves a certain amount of criticism but does relinquishing control of the vision
of the club to an untested newbie somehow solve the problem.

Everyone forgets the contribution to our success made by the likes of Geoff Twentyman (The brains
behind a conveyor belt of stellar talent that kept us at the top). Compare & contrast that with the recent
fumblings with loan players and it's clear to me that it's not about 1st 11 or the manager but being
competitive across every area of the club. FSG need to pull the finger out and stop trying to let the LFC
franchise take care of itself and lose the on the cheap attitude, we need a serious and experienced
football person  with strong decision making ability dead centre running the club and it's not in my opinion
Brendan Rodgers (who's merely the coach) or Ian Ayre (get real!).