December 07, 2019, 01:51:07 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 122959 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #480 on: August 04, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Ed, it's terrible when it gets that bad.
Yeah, it's stuff like the 180 page report that stretches the patience.

lol, i seem to just roll my eyes up to heaven at so much LFC related
these days - Ayre, Rodgers, Enrique, Carragher, Spearing, Adam, Downing,
the dreadful style of football played during pre-season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
Yeah, it's stuff like the 180 page report that stretches the patience.

lol, i seem to just roll my eyes up to heaven at so much LFC related
these days - Ayre, Rodgers, Enrique, Carragher, Spearing, Adam, Downing,
the dreadful style of football played during pre-season.

It's certainly frustrating and tests the patience, no doubt.

What we're seeing is the culmination of 20 years of poor management, lack of vision, and very poor financial planning and decision making.

As frustrating as it is FSG is right in one respect that we can't keep adding to the payroll without removing those from it who are unlikely to make a contribution, (hopefully that's what they're doing). It will take two or three windows, maybe even more to rid ourselves of everyone but the most frustrating part of it is that in letting certain older players go who may be earning higher salaries, we're not appearing to strike the right balance between lowering the payroll and not lowering the quality of the squad in the process.
Also the players (reportedly targetted) are hardly much of an upgrade on those let go or those still here and the fees don't warrent the slight quality increase.

Our manager needs to learn the media handling side and how differently it works at a big club. Hopefully he will learn this with experience.
As yet I'm still a long way off being convinced that Rodgers was the right choice at this time but sooner or later we've got to decide to stick with someone, give them 3-5 years to re-organise everything, and not pull the trigger if things go wrong for a period.

I don't expect us to challenge for or get fourth this season. However, if he can make real headway re-shaping the squad so that there is very obvious and noticeable improvement in the quality of it, make real progress in making our football 'effective', secure fifth, more points ahead of sixth than we are behind fourth, and put up a challenge for all three cups that we can actually be proud of, then I will settle for that, only because wanting more than that this season would be to set myself up for major disappointment.

As with everything, it doesn't take long to dismantle something and much, much longer to build or create something.

We have to arrest our slide before we can start an ascent. At present (up to last season) we were still in 'decline' mode. That's the first issue that has to be addressed and we need to see real evidence of such by the end of the season.

Ed, it's these current 'dark days' that will make any future success all the more sweeter.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 05, 2012, 12:22:18 AM »
Rodgers looks to defender Williams to replace City target Agger

4 August 2012

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is ready to return to former club Swansea City to sign Wales defender Ashley Williams as Daniel Agger is being targeted by Manchester City.

Rodgers, who would also like to sign Swansea's GB Olympic star Joe Allen before the end of the transfer window, is bracing himself for Agger's departure.

The Denmark defender has reached the final two years of his contract and has given no encouragement to the club to extend his deal.

He did not play in the club's Europa League tie in Belarus on Thursday night. Manchester City have seen two offers for Agger rejected but a third bid of £20million is likely to tempt owner John W Henry to sell.

Barcelona have also put Agger on a shortlist of defenders wanted at the Nou Camp but their priority is Arsenal's Alex Song.

Rodgers promised not to upset Swansea when he left them for Anfield at the end of last season, but that has not stopped his interest in a £10m deal for Allen, which he hopes to complete once the Olympic Games are over.

The former Chelsea coach is also a big fan of 28-year-old Williams, who has won 33 Wales caps and been a commanding presence in Swansea's rise from the Championship to Premier League mid-table.

Liverpool are under no pressure to sell Agger but will not stand in his way if City make a third, big bid.

Rogers faces a tough decision whether to include £35m record signing Andy Carroll for the club's Europa League game against Gomel at Anfield on Thursday.

West Ham have agreed a £17m package to take Carroll on loan next season ahead of a permanent move but the England striker is waiting for hometown club Newcastle United to make a move.

Liverpool will have to wait until later this year for new head of scouting and replacement David Fallows to take over.

Fallows is currently on six months gardening leave from Manchester City.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2183790/Rodgers-looks-defender-Williams-replace-City-target-Agger.html#ixzz22cZX9P00

Now I may be wrong here but despite being a disorganised, horrendous rabble for most of last season, didn't we finish above Swansea.
So what's the point of replacing our players with Swansea's?
Rodgers would do well to take his own advice that he gave to Suarez, and that's 'move on'. He's left Swansea, we're not Swansea, we're not aspiring to be Swansea (hopefully) and in order to build a team and squad that's good enough to challenge for the top four (and hopefully that's only the first target) we need better players than those found at Swansea.
Williams is hardly an undiscovered star like Hyypia was at Willem II.

Have our scouting department not scouted any centre halves before Rodgers got here, cause they should have done, considering there's at least one centre half needs replacing (surely) and surely Rodgers has contacts within the game he can tap. Is this really the best we can do if Agger (or Skrtel) leaves?

The only reason the 28 yr old Williams is in the PL to start with is because Swansea got promoted. The team he was already with and had been with since 2008. Not because a bigger club than the one he was with and that was already in the PL decided to buy him and had faith in his ability to play at the highest domestic level.

Who else is knocking down Swansea's door to recruit this top class centre half?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 05, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16860334

Rodgers take on Williams and it's interesting that he does seem to have had plenty to say at Swansea, if this report is anything to go by.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »
yes, he was also a gobsh.ite when at swansea.

imagine, what will this guy not be like to listen to as the season wears on......endless drivel.....me, me, me, I, I, I , etc.

and he is so stupid (like oleary was) to not realise that people see through him (and his endless self-serving drivel).

like Juan, I just shook my head at his letter to the fans who travelled to our european game this week.  He cannot let it lie.  He seemingly wants to be in the news every day of life.  He is the exact opposite of what Liverpool used to be about.  A gobsh.ite that refuses to shut his fec.king mouth.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
Get the fella from Swansea to manage us, sing ynwa and hope everything will work fine.

It's rare that i say these things but i actually have little appetite for the coming season and was
seriously thinking about taking a season out.  :(

don't blame you, Ed.

my satellite contract is up this month, and I will not be renewing it.

this season, I instead plan to just download (via torrent) Match of the Day.  I can get it the following day usually.

It will, for me, be like going back to old times, in the 70s and 80s......watching highlights of the Saturday games, in one show.   

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
It will, for me, be like going back to old times, in the 70s and 80s......watching highlights of the Saturday games, in one show.

But that's where the similarity ends, Dude.

I realise FSG pulled of this young coach and thinking outside the box routine with the Redsox, but we're talking about them being where we were when Shankly joined. No history of success in living memory and they just made up the numbers.
But you can just make up the numbers and provide the family with a day out to distract them from life in American sports as you don't have to worry about getting it dangerously wrong, as whilst you may finish bottom of your league, you get to try again next season, in the same league, having had your pick of the best free agents and young college up and comers. Failure hardly proves to be a disaster.

But just because it worked 'over there' in one sport.........................

Rodgers needs to just shut up. Get his head down and get on with the mammoth task he has ahead of him. Let others decide what and who he is, which they will do anyway even if he keeps telling us for himself.
We need his mind to be so full and so focused on implementing everything that needs to be done over the next few years, that he has no room in it for coming up with all the media space filling blather.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 05, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
don't blame you, Ed.

my satellite contract is up this month, and I will not be renewing it.

this season, I instead plan to just download (via torrent) Match of the Day.  I can get it the following day usually.

Yeah, last season i watched every game but may just settle for a passing interest
this season and like you say catch whatever highlights MOTD put on.

We'll see, plenty of decision-making to be done between now and the end of the transfer
window that will demonstrate our ambition for the season (not arsed following a side that
lacks ambition and just continually talks, talks, talks).

Rodgers needs to just shut up. Get his head down and get on with the mammoth task he has ahead of him.
Surprised he felt it necessary to publicly tell Suarez about moving on from the Evra thing.
Tbh, Tes I've given up on Rodgers already (didn't take me long  :) ), just not my sort of guy period.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
Surprised he felt it necessary to publicly tell Suarez about moving on from the Evra thing.

yes, the gobsh.ite wants Suarez to move on, and bizarrely does this by raising the issue again in the press.

when I worked back in Britain, I could always see through his type.  I could see them coming from a 100 paces.

I never liked them back then, and I despise them even more now.

It was always the likes of me, who did all the hard work and got results, and  gobsh.ites who spoofed and talked a good yarn, who annoyed the hell out of the rest of us.

I used to be in meetings - and you;d see a gobsh.ite, in order to make his presence known and feel important, raise a stupid question at the end (when everyone else just wanted to go home).....and I remember one time when the gobsh.ite said at the outset that his question would come in 4 sub-parts - a, b, c and d.  Wow, you could hear the collective groan around the meeting. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 05, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
I realise FSG pulled of this young coach and thinking outside the box routine with the Redsox, but we're talking about them being where we were when Shankly joined. No history of success in living memory and they just made up the numbers.
But you can just make up the numbers and provide the family with a day out to distract them from life in American sports as you don't have to worry about getting it dangerously wrong, as whilst you may finish bottom of your league, you get to try again next season, in the same league, having had your pick of the best free agents and young college up and comers. Failure hardly proves to be a disaster.

But just because it worked 'over there' in one sport........................

absolutely, Tes.

you can feck up a season in america, and it's no big deal...... you just target next season instead.

but in the premiership, you mess up and there are major repercussions.

but it all boils down to arrogance. 

our owners are far too far up their own posteriors. 

oh sure, they work the PR game well......like gillette and hicks did in the early years (til they were caught on).

but the proof is in the pudding........and to date, everything that FSG has touched at Liverpool, has turned to poo.  And there is much worse to come.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
We're all saying the same on here, but I've also noticed so many times when reading 'comments' at the ends of articles both on websites, both news and fan sites and newspaper articles, that the overriding message so, so many of our fans want to give the manager is:

SHUT THE FOCK UP!!!

I guess it must be something about the sort of people we fans are and Liverpool being the type of club it was that LFC was the perfect fit.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 05, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
We're all saying the same on here, but I've also noticed so many times when reading 'comments' at the ends of articles both on websites, both news and fan sites and newspaper articles, that the overriding message so, so many of our fans want to give the manager is:

SHUT THE FOCK UP!!!

I guess it must be something about the sort of people we fans are and Liverpool being the type of club it was that LFC was the perfect fit.

:D

yes, that now is starting to be the general consensus among fans.

and I even have started this past week, to notice it in a couple of newspaper/website articles.   

And the journalists for the big newspapers, keep a keen interest in fans thoughts and posts in football forums....so they will start to get the message, that we think our manager is a GS (gobsh.ite).  And that will start being reflected in their newspaper coverage. 

Rodgers has set himself up for a major fall.

I would be keen to find a swansea forum and hear from their fans re their thoughts on Rodgers.  I earmarked him early doors, as an OLeary 2.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
Just waiting now to hear that Bellamy's gone. That will be the next daft move. Let's get rid of the only genuine bit of pace we have in our attack.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 05, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
Just waiting now to hear that Bellamy's gone. That will be the next daft move. Let's get rid of the only genuine bit of pace we have in our attack.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, in the past few weeks.

up is down, black is white, quality is rubbish, sell is buy.

bellamy is bound to be given away this summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2012, 01:14:34 AM »
Kuyt, Suarez, Maxi showed their ability as a trio during the second half of '10/'11. Bellamy combined well with Suarez quite a few times last season.

I'd rather replace that collective understanding one piece at a time, making sure each new piece replicates or betters the collective level of understanding, than have to replace it en masse.

Maybe the financial side is eased but that will only be a temporary thing if the on pitch performance continues to decline.