December 13, 2019, 10:41:32 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123840 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2012, 07:40:51 AM »
I was thinking exactly the same thing, in the past few weeks.

up is down, black is white, quality is rubbish, sell is buy.

bellamy is bound to be given away this summer.

All this fancy dan skills milarky is all very well...but what we need is a team full of carra's..if we get rid of Bellamy, suarez, sterling and agger then we can have no more of that silky skills nonsense and we can just bore other teams to death...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »
Why we aren't looking at Isco in Malaga's fire sale is beyond me. Just who have we got (although we have a lot of midfielders) to play in the attacking midfield role and provide creativity from a more advanced position?

Are we really that short of cash?

FSG need to help free things up by 'lending' the club money to bring in one or two players and can then be repaid as players are moved on. They were as much to blame for last Summer's and the Andy Carroll fiasco, so why punish the fans and the new manager?

Our midfield:

Lucas
Henderson
Gerrard
Adam
Spearing
Shelvey
Downing (played a more central for Villa and Boro)

That is a decidedly mid-table midfield.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
Why we aren't looking at Isco in Malaga's fire sale is beyond me. Just who have we got (although we have a lot of midfielders) to play in the attacking midfield role and provide creativity from a more advanced position?

Are we really that short of cash?

FSG need to help free things up by 'lending' the club money to bring in one or two players and can then be repaid as players are moved on. They were as much to blame for last Summer's and the Andy Carroll fiasco, so why punish the fans and the new manager?

Our midfield:

Lucas
Henderson
Gerrard
Adam
Spearing
Shelvey
Downing (played a more central for Villa and Boro)

That is a decidedly mid-table midfield.

yes, looking at that list of midfielders (and gerrard is old these days), does not fill one with much confidence.

scary in fact.

All this fancy dan skills milarky is all very well...but what we need is a team full of carra's..if we get rid of Bellamy, suarez, sterling and agger then we can have no more of that silky skills nonsense and we can just bore other teams to death...

now you;re talking!  FSG have taken the fans literally, and are seeking a team of carraghers.

anyone with any technical skill or speed is being shipped out.

we are playing hoof-it from now on.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 06, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
agger being left out (and not cup tied) means that he will be sold...aka we're fecked... it just gets better...

er...i spoke too soon...

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/bellamy_set_for_cardiff_switch_751327/index.shtml

and even our sponsors are in the news!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19155577

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
I wonder if Henry and Co express their distaste in the same way Standard Chartered did with us over the Suarez affair.

Now we've cleared a few off the wages are we going to replenish the squad in any way?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 06, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
er...i spoke too soon...

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/bellamy_set_for_cardiff_switch_751327/index.shtml

ughhhh, who needs speed or technical ability.

we're gonna build our team around Hoofer.   He's liverpool through and through, you know. 

Nailed on for a coaching job when he hangs up his hooves.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I wonder if Henry and Co express their distaste in the same way Standard Chartered did with us over the Suarez affair.

Now we've cleared a few off the wages are we going to replenish the squad in any way?

VERY good point re Standard Chartered!   :D

we're not gonna listen to moral sermons from these folks. 

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
agger being left out (and not cup tied) means that he will be sold...aka we're fecked... it just gets better...
Ben Smith mentioned on Twitter that City are prepared to bid £18 million for Agger.

I was afraid something like this would happen  :(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 06, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
Ben Smith mentioned on Twitter that City are prepared to bid £18 million for Agger.

I was afraid something like this would happen  :(

I thought they'd already bid £18M and that had been rejected. My worry is that despite all the indications being that Agger wants to stay and sign a new contract that FSG are looking at his age at the end of his contract and seeing no re-sale value, plus his injury situation, and if a bid of £20M+ comes in then it will be accepted.

Now it's one thing not want to pay a transfer fee for a player who'll have no sell on value at the end of his contract, but not issuing a contract renewal to a player who is 27, who has already more than repaid his original transfer fee because in 4/5 years time he'll have no re-sale fee is just madness. If you buy them young, get the best years out of them and at the age of 31/32 you either offer them a year at a time if they've still got something to offer or you let them go on a free and thank them for their contribution, you should be satisfied.

In essence the only players you should ever be selling are ones that have come through the academy and proved by the age of 21-23 not to be good enough.
Any player you buy you should hardly ever sell because you will want them until they reach the stage where they've peaked and are just at the very early stage of starting to come down the other side of the peak. That also takes into account the player possibly being upgraded once aswell. That's of course if you've not made a mistake of some sort with the signing. Ideal world, I know.

Wenger's known for being reluctant to offer a new contract to a player 30 or over. A 3 or 4 year deal you can understand but sometimes a one or two year deal would see you benefit from the wisdom that comes with experience, the calming influence that can have and the knowledge can avoid being caught out by any physical lessening.

If you know your players and time their contracts to their likely phsical state at thirty plus, by the time your player's contract is up at 30/31/32 etc you will have had the absolute best out of them whilst leaving them just attractive enough to another club for a free or nominal fee but without that club getting anything that still could have been of benefit to us. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 06, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
Tello's not been named in Barca's first team squad and the new manager is not against letting him go.

Another young player, with massive potential, that would improve us even at this stage of his development by a more than noticable amount and who won't costa Torres.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
I thought they'd already bid £18M and that had been rejected. My worry is that despite all the indications being that Agger wants to stay and sign a new contract that FSG are looking at his age at the end of his contract and seeing no re-sale value, plus his injury situation, and if a bid of £20M+ comes in then it will be accepted.
Tbh, i'm getting a bit tired of the FFSG.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »
Tbh, i'm getting a bit tired of the FFSG.

I think I am gonna rename  FFG, and call them  FFS

because that is what I say when I hear their latest decision (sell, kuyt, let maxi go, let agger go, let bellamy go, recruit rodgers, bring in allen, etc)   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 07, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »
If they'd actually appoint a top class, hard hitter as a CEO, at least I'd feel confident that we wouldn't get a repeat of last Summer and January 2011, however what or rather who is to stop us from paying over the odds both in transfer fees and wages for Rodgers targets.

I have one tiny ray of hope and it is tiny. It's that whilst scouting the likes of Vorm and Sigurdsson he also came across players that Swansea couldn't afford or hope to attract but that just maybe we can. He's not going to have been looking in the same places as City, United and Chelsea but Newcastle haven't done badly since Ashley stopped acting like Freddy Shephard, but it was only really once they appointed Pardew that the signings have really impressed. Maybe previous managers ignored Carr's advice, but since Pardew's arrived their transfer business has been good. Hopefully, and I don't usually place as much weight in blind hope, Rodgers has a list of names from the Dutch, Belgian, German leagues and maybe the likes of Barca's and Real's B teams, that are upgrades on Vorm etc but are under the radars of the big spenders.

Problem is even if he does have a squad's worth of potential affordable quality additions, who the H*ll will negotiate the deals? Hope fades even further.   

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »
I think I am gonna rename  FFG, and call them  FFS

because that is what I say when I hear their latest decision (sell, kuyt, let maxi go, let agger go, let bellamy go, recruit rodgers, bring in allen, etc)   
Ditto!  :D

If they'd actually appoint a top class, hard hitter as a CEO, at least I'd feel confident that we wouldn't get a repeat of last Summer and January 2011, however what or rather who is to stop us from paying over the odds both in transfer fees and wages for Rodgers targets.
Exactly, get a motherf*cker in to run the club.

Amongst other things, I'm haunted by Rodgers comment that he couldn't
work under a DoF because during his vast career collecting trophies across
the continent, things had never worked out unless he'd had a direct line to
the owners.

Then there's the bit where he wouldn't even talk to us during the hiring farce
unless he was the number 1 choice.

Cost us a bloomin' fortune to prise him away from the mighty Swansea F.C.

Now we're stuck with him for the foreseeable  :(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 07, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Swansea are wanting £20M for Joe Allen. Right, that's it. Move on. Let's forget about him and concentrate on other targets (if we have any). We've wasted the whole window so far waiting for Joe Allen.

We've create a precident with Dalglish and Comolli's massive over valuing and over paying in the transfer market. Evey player we go for will have a 'Liverpool valuation' placed on them. Reputations like that take a long time to get rid of.

Even Swansea can ask for high prices for players they wish to keep. Agger, start the bidding at £25M, and then up it.

Swansea showing us the way to go. Anyone else find it slightly embarassing?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:03:44 PM by Tes »