December 06, 2019, 08:44:09 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 122637 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #510 on: August 07, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
Swansea are wanting £20M for Joe Allen. Right, that's it. Move on. Let's forget about him and concentrate on other targets (if we have any). We've wasted the whole window so far waiting for Joe Allen.

We've create a precident with Dalglish and Comolli's massive over valuing and over paying in the transfer market. Evey player we go for will have a 'Liverpool valuation' placed on them. Reputations like that take a long time to get rid of.

Even Swansea can ask for high prices for players they wish to keep. Agger, start the bidding at £25M, and then up it.

Swansea showing us the way to go. Anyone else find it slightly embarassing?

If that valuation is true then we definately need to move on!  There's just no sense buying homegrown players for Messi prices for Salif Diao quality...lol (slight exaggeration I know but you get the point)
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 07, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »
Swansea are wanting £20M for Joe Allen. Right, that's it. Move on. Let's forget about him and concentrate on other targets (if we have any). We've wasted the whole window so far waiting for Joe Allen.

We've create a precident with Dalglish and Comolli's massive over valuing and over paying in the transfer market. Evey player we go for will have a 'Liverpool valuation' placed on them. Reputations like that take a long time to get rid of.

Even Swansea can ask for high prices for players they wish to keep. Agger, start the bidding at £25M, and then up it.

Swansea showing us the way to go. Anyone else find it slightly embarassing?

i apologise for the last couple of posts and my flippancy and irreverent humour...

in the 1970's henry kissinger got the nobel 'peace prize' and comedian tom lehrer said on that day 'satire died'....

when joe allen is valued at 20 mil and Agger at 22 mil then i know that satire in football is dead...

i am worried now...

p.s. i don't think we have any other targets...it's like the titanic...i see no iceberg!!!! full speed ahead! and when the window closes in 3 weeks time...it'll be catastrophic...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 07, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »

Swansea showing us the way to go. Anyone else find it slightly embarrassing?

we are a laughing stock......we sell quality (for free or peanuts), and buy in dross (often old and always at higher cost than what we sold our quality people for).

the club is a shambles.

and why the fig-leaf are we focussing so much on swansea players?  does our know-it-all-gobsh.ite have no knowledge beyond the playing staff at swansea city?   

our GS (gobsh.ite) has no knowledge of the type of player that is needed to compete at the top level.

and old man river at fulham (clint)....since when has a fulham employee (player of manager) ever excelled after moving to liverpool.  Never.  Nada in my lifetime.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 07, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
i apologise for the last couple of posts and my flippancy and irreverent humour...

in the 1970's henry kissinger got the nobel 'peace prize' and comedian tom lehrer said on that day 'satire died'....

when joe allen is valued at 20 mil and Agger at 22 mil then i know that satire in football is dead...

i am worried now...

p.s. i don't think we have any other targets...it's like the titanic...i see no iceberg!!!! full speed ahead! and when the window closes in 3 weeks time...it'll be catastrophic...

:D   henry kissenger.......the lennon/ghandi of our times.   

up is down, left is right, peace is war.

why spend only 20 million on allen......let's offer them 30 million.  And if City agree a friendly next summer, give them agger for 10 million.    We are a decent club, generous to one and all.  We are good people.  We have a reputation to maintain and think about. 

why waste time looking for other targets on mainland europe.  Instead buy local, and get special offers.

If that valuation is true then we definately need to move on!  There's just no sense buying homegrown players for Messi prices for Salif Diao quality...lol (slight exaggeration I know but you get the point)

allen could be the new messi. 

a 5 feet 6 inch powerhouse.

did i mention he was 5 feet 6 inches.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
Amazing. All around us and especially when we're involved, clubs are asking huge figures, yet we still don't learn from it. Swansea are using the fees we've paid out as a reason for upping Allen's fee, why don't we do the same?
It's no good using the fact that City paid £22M for Lescott three years ago as the yardstick for how we value Agger, times have changed and prices have soared since than.

Do we want to sell Agger? I would hope not. Therefore City have to make us an offer we can't refuse, especially if Agger is providing us with our transfer fund, we need the absolute most we can get, as we've got plenty of positions that need strengthening.

I thought we were supposed to be following Arsenal's model. Would they let Agger go for £22M? Of course not. They got more out of City for Toure and we should do the same.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
If we had any 'football men' on the board they would have foreseen this coming and we would or hopefully should have put in a bid for Vertonghen as the ideal replacement for Agger.
Spurs got him for around half the figure we're supposed to be looking for off City. Vertonghen plus £15M for Agger wouldn't have been too bad a deal.

We'll undersell, then overpay on a downgrade for Agger, following the pattern that seems to have been set since Alonso was sold.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
if we operated a second-hand car dealership, we'd be broke in a week.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
if we operated a second-hand car dealership, we'd be broke in a week.

I'll give you £5K and not a penny more for that Allegro Vanden Plas. See, I 'm tough to deal wiv, bro.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 07, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
I'll give you £5K and not a penny more for that Allegro Vanden Plas. See, I 'm tough to deal wiv, bro.

I need more.

If you throw in the rolls royce with the 5 thousand quid, you can have my awesome 1975 Allegro.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 07, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
Amazing. All around us and especially when we're involved, clubs are asking huge figures, yet we still don't learn from it. Swansea are using the fees we've paid out as a reason for upping Allen's fee, why don't we do the same?
It's no good using the fact that City paid £22M for Lescott three years ago as the yardstick for how we value Agger, times have changed and prices have soared since than.

Do we want to sell Agger? I would hope not. Therefore City have to make us an offer we can't refuse, especially if Agger is providing us with our transfer fund, we need the absolute most we can get, as we've got plenty of positions that need strengthening.

I thought we were supposed to be following Arsenal's model. Would they let Agger go for £22M? Of course not. They got more out of City for Toure and we should do the same.
It's ridiculous from Wigan (with Whelan), Newcastle (Pardew lecturing us on Carroll), Swansea (the mad compensation for
Rodgers and now this Allen non-sense) even Spurs having a pop at Adam (ynwa, he certainly did) & it's no coincidence, i
think we have to accept that we are now a very poorly run club in so many departments.

It's precisely as you say, we're always caught on the hop because we lack proper planning, management and continuity in key
areas. I remember Rafa years ago as a priority, tying down all the top players to long contracts. It's not just that though, the list goes
on and on.... hapless, second-rate and embarassing is how i'd describe it (the Suarez affair just another example of it).

Years ago the "This is Anfield" sign meant something... now it's encouragement to small clubs coming to Anfield fancying a
draw and hoping to sneak a win. It's the same across all our dealings with clubs.

We're left now with:

1.)  This guy Rodgers (another over-inflated transfer and vastly inexperienced coach from the lower leagues) in
sole control of our footballing destiny for the next 3 years.

2.) Ian Ayre (By all accounts a rubbish Chief executive at Huddersfield) as MD.

3.) Owners that are preoccupied by their baseball franchise and procrastinating on the stadium 2 years later.

4.) Zero leadership on and off the field (unless Lucas is expected to single-handedly resurrect the club).

In previous years (deluded as it may have been) I've always been reasonably optimistic entering the new season. This year
I'm just not bothered anymore because I think they're gonna be protests by the fans (it'll be that bad, imo).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
I know hope is usually based on nothing more than a 'feeling', an intangible, but even our gut instinct needs something to stir it into action.

It's hard to see anything other than automatic qualification for the Europa League group stages is the new 'title'. Finishing above Everton is a sign of improvement.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
Rodgers confirms Bellamy talks

August 8, 2012

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed talks are taking place with Cardiff City regarding a deal for Craig Bellamy.

Sky Sports revealed earlier this week that Cardiff are in pole position to sign the 33-year-old after Liverpool reluctantly agreed to let Bellamy move on.

Bellamy is understood to want to return to South Wales for personal reasons and the Reds are willing to let the versatile attacker head back to Cardiff for free.

The Wales international has refused to comment on reports that he could rejoin his hometown club and says that he is taking his future 'day by day'.

However, he now appears to be closing in on a move to Malky Mackay's side after Rodgers revealed that discussions between the two clubs are ongoing.

"We have been in talks with him and Cardiff," said Rodgers.

"I had a really good meeting with Craig before I moved up here.

"He is a big Liverpool supporter but I also understand his thinking.

"He is 33 and has travelled around the country all his life, so there are compassionate reasons.

"We will look at it but we will wish him all the best and move forward."

Bellamy spent the 2010/11 season on loan at Cardiff and he scored 11 goals in the Championship before returning for a second spell at Liverpool last summer.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7973033

So that's Maxi and Bellamy, who between them could have covered our left wide attacking position at least in the league, both gone. Both have shown they are technical players who can link and combine well with Luis.

Huge savings off the payroll, but now we MUST replace them. We can't rely on Downing - no goals, no assists etc.

Tello would be the sensible choice. Pace, tick. Play wide and central, tick. Scores goals, creates chances, tick. Barca don't need him and are willing to let him go.
He's got everything Bellamy has, except dodgy knees, and is only 20.

Also, if we're moving on the older, more expensive players (in terms of wages), then let's see Pacheco, Suso and Sterling etc, given a proper chance to prove themselves and hopefully develop.

I'd settle for trying to get 5th and automatic qualification for the EL, if we get to see the best youngsters given their chance and we do start to play attractive, 'effective' football, though let's not become 'the Wenger Footballing Art Project' lite.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 08, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »
I suspect much of swansea's passing, under rodgers, was in the first third of the pitch (where the opposition is happy to allow you have the ball). 

you cannot hurt the opposition in your own third.

from what I have been reading in swansea forums, rodgers struggles away from home........he has no alternate plans to call upon.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 08, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
I suspect much of swansea's passing, under rodgers, was in the first third of the pitch (where the opposition is happy to allow you have the ball). 
That's similar to what I've noted from the bits and pieces I've seen and as an LFC
supporter it drives me nuts. I simply can't watch it, the ball going back to the keeper
all the time (it's anathema to Hansen of old) and just winding down the clock.

Plus it invites serious pressure unless it's complemented by serious ball playing skills
(not just launching it upfield) to get the ball out of danger areas quickly and with
precision.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 08, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

you cannot hurt the opposition in your own third.

from what I have been reading in swansea forums, rodgers struggles away from home........he has no alternate plans to call upon.

I don't think Rodgers will see out his contract at Anfield Dude.  This ship is too big for him to steer, we need/needed an experienced hand at the wheel!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!