December 06, 2019, 12:34:07 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 122565 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #540 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:09 AM »
exactly, Ed.

and remember, rodgers has zero knowledge of competing at the very top........he has no idea of the type of player needed to compete at the highest level.

we cannot afford more fluff at the club........we are up to our ears in expensive mediocre players.

but look at  what our gobsh.ite is saying today about Agger.

agger is one of our top players.....agger does not want to leave anfield....indeed, agger does not want to join another english club.......and yet our moron wants to sell him, in order to have cash to bring in tripe like dempsey, allen and borini.  And he also wants city's adam johnson on loan......for johnson, think downing.......I wouldn;t have him about the place.  Moronic.  Truly moronic.

Johnson's worse than Downing in that he enjoys the nightlife too much. I'd take him on loan with us paying him about £30K a week. Give him the season to prove himself one way or the other. At least then we can give him back when he can't keep focused for a whole season, not even to earn a permanent move. It would provide a player in a position we need and give us time to find a proper replacement. I feel dirty thrashing around in the bottom of the barrel again.

I'd rather give our own Pacheco an extended run and see what he can do under Rodgers. Lambert had him doing OK two seasons ago whilst on loan and he was brought up with Rodgers' chosen style.

If we can't do better than the Allens, Dempseys, Johnsons etc, let's keep the cash and use our youngsters whilst we scout and find better players and not from PL clubs. Even if we save it until next Summer and have a bigger budget once Rodgers has spent this season attempting to make the best of what we've got and being more certain of who goes and who stays.

At least with us using the kids if they prove they're not ready yet we're not stuck with more mediocre players on long contracts again. I'd rather clear out the squad this Summer and January as we've got a lot to clear before we add anybody else, especially if they're not going to be of the standard of a Luis, an Agger, etc.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »
If we can't do better than the Allens, Dempseys, Johnsons etc, let's keep the cash and use our youngsters whilst we scout and find better players and not from PL clubs. Even if we save it until next Summer and have a bigger budget once Rodgers has spent this season attempting to make the best of what we've got and being more certain of who goes and who stays.

At least with us using the kids if they prove they're not ready yet we're not stuck with more mediocre players on long contracts again. I'd rather clear out the squad this Summer and January as we've got a lot to clear before we add anybody else, especially if they're not going to be of the standard of a Luis, an Agger, etc.

that's a fair point re the youngsters and keeping our pepper dry (re transfer funds).

I am just totally bemused by this point.  I throw my hands in the air.  There is just so much wrong at the club.  Everywhere I look, I see issues.  Where do you start, in an effort to fix things.  The problems start at the top.  Our owners are the core of the problem.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 09, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
I am just totally bemused by this point.  I throw my hands in the air.  There is just so much wrong at the club.  Everywhere I look, I see issues.  Where do you start, in an effort to fix things.  The problems start at the top.  Our owners are the core of the problem.

Totally agree, Dude. All the things we've identified are, to me at least, the basic principles of running a football club and a business.

If we look at the examples of other clubs that are worth taking examples from and using them in 'our model', we don't seem to be doing any of it.

Hopefully this Summer we'll see a start of a new transfer policy - buy low, sell high, new signings on low value contracts and being made to 'earn' an increase. We stick to our valuation and if the selling club don't agree, we move on. We place a value on a player's contribution via his salary, if the player or agent don't agree, we don't buy, or if it's a contract renewal we either sell or decide to keep the player but run the contract down (different players, different circumstances will dictate which course of action we take).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Hopefully this Summer we'll see a start of a new transfer policy - buy low, sell high, new signings on low value contracts and being made to 'earn' an increase. We stick to our valuation and if the selling club don't agree, we move on. We place a value on a player's contribution via his salary, if the player or agent don't agree, we don't buy, or if it's a contract renewal we either sell or decide to keep the player but run the contract down (different players, different circumstances will dictate which course of action we take).

Maybe?

Liverpool Want £23m and Manchester City Midfielder for Daniel Agger – Report

By Adrian Back   August 9, 2012

Liverpool are playing hard ball with Premier League champions Manchester City over the proposed transfer of centre-back Daniel Agger.

City have already approached Liverpool about the availability of the defender and will have been encouraged to hear comments from Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers revealing that "every player has his price".

According to a report in the Daily Mirror, Liverpool are demanding a deal which would see them gain £23million and midfielder Adam Johnson moving to Anfield on a season-long loan deal.

The paper claims that Liverpool have already turned down bids of £13million and £20m as Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini attempts to further strengthen his options in the heart of defence.

Follow us   Google Plus

The offers have so far been rejected by the owners of Liverpool, Fenway  Sports Group, and it seems they are keen to take advantage of the significant spending power that Manchester City possess.

As well as the money they want Johnson to join for the season as Rodgers attempts to strengthen a squad which underachieved in the league as they claimed an eighth place finish.

Johnson has struggled to become a first team regular at Manchester City under Roberto Mancini with the Italian preferring to use the England international as an impact player from the bench.

There are a host of attacking midfielders for Mancini to choose from in the City squad and it could well be that Liverpool feel they can hold out for the best deal as Agger still has two years remaining on his current contract.

The 27-year-old has been at Anfield for six years but has only made 119 league appearances as injuries have often prevented him from consistently playing throughout the season.

He made his joint highest number of appearances in the league last season when he featured in 27 games, but Liverpool do have some other options already at the club  that can partner Martin Skrtel in Jamie Carragher, Sebastian Coates and Martin Kelly.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/371984/20120809/liverpool-daniel-agger-manchester-city-adam-johnson.htm

Taking Johnson on loan would be a sensible idea. We don't land ourself with another long term contract being given to a player who soon proves himself to be 'deadwood'. He'll prove his worth (or not) either way and if not we can hand him back.
Let's take advantage of City's recent transfer policy like Spurs did with Adebayor and they aren't stuck with a 'greedy' player. Again, this is going to be City's problem:

Spurs switch targets: Tottenham lose patience with 'greedy' Adebayor and re-open talks over Brazilian striker Leandro Damiao

By Matt Law   4 Aug 2012

Tottenham are threatening to pull the plug on their bid to sign Emmanuel Adebayor and make a renewed move for Brazilian striker Leandro Damiao.

Adebayor has demanded that Spurs pay him the £4million transfer fee they have agreed with Manchester City, which forced chairman Daniel Levy and manager Andre Villas-Boas to reconsider their options.

City have also warned Adebayor, 28, they will not be held to ransom and are willing to let the Togo international rot in the reserves for two years if he continues to hold out for crazy money.

Having taken Adebayor on loan last season, Spurs agreed a £4m deal to sign him permanently.

City had agreed to subsidise part of Adebayor’s £175,000-a-week wages, meaning he would not lose any money by making the switch to White Hart Lane on a four-year contract.

But Adebayor stunned both Spurs and City by rejecting the deal unless he also receives the £4m fee and effectively moves on a free transfer.

He also only wants a two-year contract at White Hart Lane, so he can try to make even more money by moving on again in 2014.

Levy reacted by immediately resuming negotiations with Brazilian club Internacional over Damiao and is also looking at Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge.

Fulham’s Moussa Dembele and ­Joe Allen are midfield targets, ­although Spurs face a battle with Liverpool for the Swansea star.

Tottenham have been tracking Damiao for 18 months and club scouts have been watching him in action for Brazil’s Olympic team. Their last bid of around £12m was turned down by Internacional, but Levy is now considering a £15m offer.

City have warned Adebayor he faces the threat of spending the final two years of his contract in the reserves if he fails to agree a move, with ­manager Roberto Mancini insisting he will not be given another chance with the Premier League champions.

Mancini is furious Adebayor’s antics have jeopardised his hopes of signing Robin van Persie from Arsenal and City officials are dismayed by the player’s attitude.

It is understood Adebayor is travelling up to Manchester from London every morning to train with fellow City misfit Roque Santa Cruz before returning to the capital.

A City source told Sunday ­Mirror Sport: “Ade’s greed is unbelievable.

“He is just out to make money and does not care that he is endangering his career at the same time.

“Tottenham are also getting very annoyed by all of this.

“There is a real threat the move may not go through if Ade does not back down. If Ade has to stay at City, then Roberto Mancini has already made it pretty clear that he will just be left to rot in the reserves.”     

City have tried to sound out other ­potential buyers or interested parties for Adebayor, including QPR and Liverpool, but there has not been any serious interest.

Phil Smith, the agent who brokered Adebayor’s £25million move from Arsenal to City in 2009, predicted that Spurs will face a tough task to convince the player to drop his demands.

“Adebayor is quite ruthless when it comes to getting what he wants,” said Smith.

“He got a very good deal at City and quite clearly he wants his pound of flesh, not only on the way in but also on the way out.

“I think it’s a deal that will die on its backside. Who is going to come and give moneybags Adebayor the money he wants, other than moneybags QPR? I don’t think they’d be interested.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-lose-patience-with-greedy-emmanuel-1217732

If this is Rodger's doing then I take my hat off to him. If it's the owners, then finally they are starting to learn.

We still need to a CEO to put all this theory into practice and enshrine it into being the way we will do things going forward, irrespective of who the manager is.
We can't just rely on a manager having his head screwed on the right way.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:25 PM »
Look at the fees Arsenal paid for their trio, Chelsea for Marin, Bayern for Shaqiri etc.

Why Joe Allen for £15M? Surely there is better value out there that isn't British and doesn't come from an overcharging British club.

We've known all Summer how to get Allen but we've not cleared out space in the squad for another central midfielder. Spearing, Adam and Cole should have left in addition to Aquilani.

We need at least another striker and at least two, if not three wide forward players.

Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi. Two strikers, three wide forward players - a minimum of two need replacing and not downgrading in the process.

I see meireles available for 8 mil...4 months into his 29 years...still playing well..oh sorry we can't sign him cos he's too cheap, not english, in his prime and talented...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
oh sorry we can't sign him cos he's too cheap, not english, in his prime and talented...

Doesn't tick any of  the boxes apart from the one that states 'Already playing in the PL'.

We've broaden our outlook from English to Welsh, or maybe the club got muddled up because Allen played for GB under an English manager and had the same anthem the English use played before the matches. Very easy mistake to make. Just ask the Olympic organisers.  :D

I don't like the rumours of Amoriebieta of Bilbao being Agger's replacement. Diego Godin of Atletico Madrid would be better if we're looking at La Liga for £10M centre halves.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
I see meireles available for 8 mil...4 months into his 29 years...still playing well..oh sorry we can't sign him cos he's too cheap, not english, in his prime and talented...

mereless, would be a great buy at 8 million.

but like you say, he ticks no boxes for the morons.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
I don't like the rumours of Amoriebieta of Bilbao being Agger's replacement. Diego Godin of Atletico Madrid would be better if we're looking at La Liga for £10M centre halves.

unless he's at least 15 million, with injuries, and from britain, I am not interested.

and that agger lad, now that he's finally seemingly over all those years of injuries, I want him shipped out. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:22:49 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 09, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
Robert Huth's not British, but has played for several PL teams, will be overpriced, is useless and knows how to carry an injury. I can't tick all the boxes. Any good for you, Dude?  :D

Woy was interested. Surely we're not going to go against his eye for a player.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
Robert Huth's not British, but has played for several PL teams, will be overpriced, is useless and knows how to carry an injury. I can't tick all the boxes. Any good for you, Dude?  :D

Woy was interested. Surely we're not going to go against his eye for a player.

:D

huth is an interesting prospect.   Ticks many boxes.  And if it is good enough for Woy, who are we to argue.

but I think we can still pick up Villa's 32 year old richard dunne .  15 million should be enough to get Villa to talk business.

ok, he;s got the  turning circle of the Ark Royal, and the speed of a retired Blackpool beach donkey.  But he;s a good lad.  And his speed would be in sync with Carra's.   Plus, with him retiring from international duty with Ireland, he will be a lot fresher.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 09, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »
in sync with Carra's.   

I have visions of the two of them in swimming customs and rubbery hats with flowers on sticking their legs out of the swimming pool.

The Anfield pitch would need to be widened unless they could take it in turns somehow to turn around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMBufJmTTSA

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 10, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »

we would need to play our last line of defence deep.    Forget about deploying any offside trap......just have the pair of them turn on the 18 yard line........blocking the entire line, thus no opponent can get past......and at night games, floodlights are useless when confronted with dunne and carra's ars.ses.   darkness all around.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »

we would need to play our last line of defence deep.    Forget about deploying any offside trap......just have the pair of them turn on the 18 yard line........blocking the entire line, thus no opponent can get past......and at night games, floodlights are useless when confronted with dunne and carra's ars.ses.   darkness all around.

The blubber brothers.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 10, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
Rodgers reckons: "I'm absolutely delighted that Joe has made the decision to come with us on this journey.
Joe has had a fantastic education at Swansea City and will now begin the next chapter in his exciting career, and I wish him all the very best in what I'm sure will be a long and distinguished career here at Liverpool."
[/l]

so joe allen has finally signed today.

seems he has had a fantastic education at swansea.  I wonder who his manager was at swansea.  oh hang on a minute, that was....

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 10, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
as one of us said the other day, Mereless would be a fine addition to our midfield. 

Torino, the Italian outfit, are presently in for him, for 8 million quid.  29 years old, highly technical, great volleyer of the ball, good reader of the game.