December 06, 2019, 09:15:44 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 122657 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #555 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
as one of us said the other day, Mereless would be a fine addition to our midfield. 

Torino, the Italian outfit, are presently in for him, for 8 million quid.  29 years old, highly technical, great volleyer of the ball, good reader of the game.

He's another, like Dirk, that made space for others with his movement. Also he's quick to see a pass and release the ball. Suits the way Rodgers describes his method of play to a tee, or should I say two 't's.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
Interview with Bellamy:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2012/08/10/91466-31595952/?

Top player, top person. Last of a dying breed. Not like the typical modern footballer at all. It's a shame we've lost him, but it's happened for all the right reasons. Good luck to you Craig, in all you do.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 11, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »
He's another, like Dirk, that made space for others with his movement. Also he's quick to see a pass and release the ball. Suits the way Rodgers describes his method of play to a tee, or should I say two 't's.

I wouldnt agree on Meireles guys. We probably could have kept him last season as he was better than what we had. But I think we did well getting 12 million for a player that can be weak on the ball and that is heading toward his 30s. I cant see him improving enough to consistently warrant a first team place. Why would Chelsea be willing to take a 4-6 million loss after one season. Id prefer to put 8 million towards someone younger of even better quality. Theres no doubt he could do well for rodgers but whos to say some of what we already have wont do the same.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 11, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
who would you get instead, with that same top level technical ability, and at only 8 million quid, Juan.

we sold Mereless and replaced him with the likes of Adam.  And look what happened.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 11, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Having older technical players also give the younger players an example to follow and a standard to aspire to.

We will always need experienced 'heads' and whilst judging or assembling your team by age only is daft, we need to make sure that we don't simply get rid of a player 'due to his age', likewise we don't not give a player an opportunity because he's 'too young'.

There shouldn't be a 'too young' or 'too old'. It should be about what the player gives to the team and squad, and there are many ways that that should be measured and evaluated.

Here's someone who should have never been allowed to leave, irrespective of age.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1216948-bayer-leverkusen-manager-sami-hyypia-wants-liverpool-fc-return.html

He would have offered so much to us and not just by the tackles he won or the clearances he got his head on the end of. We've let too many of this type go recently, Dirk being another. We have to realise what they offer and treasure them, and not just because they were born in the city.

Maybe the crowd will see a local differently, and to a degree, so they should, but a manager and the club administration should put aside the emotional aspect (and there's nothing wrong because that's what we all live by as fans) and see a bigger picture. Value can be measured in more than just a salary number or even goals scored or tackles won.

The club used to do this, otherwise the likes of Paisley, Moran and Evans wouldn't have remained at the club. Yes, we missed one in Matt Busby, but you can't win them all, you just have to make sure you win more of them than your rivals.

It will be interesting to see how Wenger goes on without Pat Rice, but if possible, it would be great for us to have our own Pat Rice in thirty years time. Maybe Mike Marsh, who has just been promoted from youth to be a first team coach could be one. It would be nice to see it happen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:31:18 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 12, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Rodgers is trying to 'tempt' Fulham into letting Dempsey go by offering Adam in PX.

I wouldn't be against it if a) we don't part with any cash on top of giving them Adam b) we only offer Dempsey a two year deal on half of what Maxi or Dirk were getting.

We could do with a bit more experience in the squad with Dirk, Maxi, Bellamy and Aurelio all leaving, and if Dempsey can offer goals from midfield, or play anywhere across the front line, we at least get some depth to our front line and hopefully the goals to make up for losing Dirk, Maxi and Bellamy.

It's not the most exciting signing but it's a short term necessity that should hold back the likes of Pacheco and Sterling and if valued correctly won't cost us a fortune.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 12, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
after his new players having spent only a year at the club, it must be embarrassing for dalglish, with carroll up for sale, and adam possibly on the way out.  And major question marks about Henderson and Downing.

adam for dempsey would be a decent piece of business.......as loong as there is no, or very little, money involved. 

dempsey would be a stop-gap, as you say above, Tes.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 12, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
The rumours about Walcott refuse to die. Not sure with Walcott. Arsenal will want crazy money, Walcott's very injury prone and whilst his pace isn't in question, his end product is.

I think he would be better played centrally but on balance we should give this one a miss, along with Adam Johnson.  We don't need to bring in players who's application can be questioned.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 12, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »
Apparently Amorebieta is out for a month injured. If we were to go for him we'd have to do with Skrtel and Carra (I'd imagine Rodgers would put him in ahead of Coates) for the first few games and considering our start to the season I'd not want us to be in that position.

Left footed centre halves are hard to find. Ball playing centre halves probably even harder. Left footed, ball playing centre halves.......you get the idea.

If it was Skrtel we were looking at letting go for £20M+ then it would be a different story. I can't see anyone with any football knowledge at the club seeing this as a good idea, so has this come from the owners and are they reluctant to give him a new contract considering his injury record?
He may miss approx half the available games but surely it's less hard to replace him for 50% than it is for 100% of the games.

If this is really going to happen, we need to get the replacement in first, otherwise £10M will become £15M, £15M will become £20M as soon as we inquire about a player.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 12, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »
Apparently Amorebieta is out for a month injured. If we were to go for him we'd have to do with Skrtel and Carra (I'd imagine Rodgers would put him in ahead of Coates) for the first few games and considering our start to the season I'd not want us to be in that position.

Left footed centre halves are hard to find. Ball playing centre halves probably even harder. Left footed, ball playing centre halves.......you get the idea.

If it was Skrtel we were looking at letting go for £20M+ then it would be a different story. I can't see anyone with any football knowledge at the club seeing this as a good idea, so has this come from the owners and are they reluctant to give him a new contract considering his injury record?
He may miss approx half the available games but surely it's less hard to replace him for 50% than it is for 100% of the games.

If this is really going to happen, we need to get the replacement in first, otherwise £10M will become £15M, £15M will become £20M as soon as we inquire about a player.

good point about it being so hard to find a good left footed ball playing central-defender.

yes, the only reason I can imagine letting agger go, is his injury record.

we now have precious few top players at the club.....so to let one of our last ones leave, feels like footballing suicide.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »
good point about it being so hard to find a good left footed ball playing central-defender.

yes, the only reason I can imagine letting agger go, is his injury record.

we now have precious few top players at the club.....so to let one of our last ones leave, feels like footballing suicide.

His injury record is a worry but if the owners don't want to offer him a new contract and Agger seems like he's got no desire to leave, then we don't need to do anything. We have him for two more years, after which he'll be 29. Not only is his type hard to find, hence Barca and City wanting him, but he also makes Skrtel look a much better player. It would be like losing two centre halves, Agger himself, and the Skrtel that plays alongside Agger.

If we're short of cash for anymore transfers there are plenty we can get rid of. Granted they wouldn't bring in as much as Agger but they'd cut the wage bill down by great deal allowing room for an addition to the wage bill plus the income to pay a transfer fee if it was in staged payments.
Failing that then maybe Carroll would cause less of a hole and be an easier position to fill.

There's also the aspect of Agger being able to bring the ball out the way he does which is an integral part of how Rodgers wants us to play, so again that loss would be more greatly felt than losing Carroll. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 13, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
yes, he is ideal for rodger's style of play.

I would keep him at anfield for the rest of his contract, and career.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 13, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
I wouldnt agree on Meireles guys.

Agree, he provided continuity from the season before, but that was it unless he
was able to make himself indispensable enough to get a new contract.

Rodgers is trying to 'tempt' Fulham into letting Dempsey go by offering Adam in PX.

Adam needed to establish himself as an expert dead ball man which he hasn't done.

And major question marks about Henderson and Downing.

In my opinion Shelvey will provide enough competition for Henderson.
(I think Shelvey is getting game time because of his energy?, his game is still all
over the shop though, in terms of doing one or two things well every game).

The Big Big question now is who we get in on the right wing to push Downing if he's out there
Could make or break our season that signing. I'm just not familiar enough with Walcott and Johnson,
though they appear to be very different players, to know if they're the answer. Right wing is key now
though!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 13, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
Agree, he provided continuity from the season before, but that was it unless he
was able to make himself indispensable enough to get a new contract.

Adam needed to establish himself as an expert dead ball man which he hasn't done.

In my opinion Shelvey will provide enough competition for Henderson.
(I think Shelvey is getting game time because of his energy?, his game is still all
over the shop though, in terms of doing one or two things well every game).

The Big Big question now is who we get in on the right wing to push Downing if he's out there
Could make or break our season that signing. I'm just not familiar enough with Walcott and Johnson,
though they appear to be very different players, to know if they're the answer. Right wing is key now
though!

Shelvey needs to be played in one position so he can develop his game and mould it into a certain type of midfield. At the moment he's uncertain of what type of midfielder he is and therefore his role within the team.

Walcott, whilst having pace to spare, has little end product on a consistant basis. He actually looks a better finisher than creater.
Johnson, whilst not having Walcott's pace, has a trick or two more and is a better crosser, however he fades out of games easily, probably doesn't score enough goals, and can be hit and miss with his decision maker. He also has a questionable attitude and his off field lifestyle is not what you want to be dealing with if you're a manager.

At best I'd take Johnson on loan and even then if we bought him it would need to be a low fee and a two contract so we can get rid and not lose out if we needed to.

Walcott, I'd take the risk on him and convert him into a striker, however Arsenal won't let him go at a price that would prove appealing.

I'd give Pacheco an extended run and see what's what. We could probably pick up Walcott on a free or Johnson for peanuts next Summer if we still have the need.
Alternatively, we could look at someone like Dries Mertens of PSV or Kevin Mirallas of Olympiacos.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
Agger wants Reds stay

By Ejder Akbal August 13, 2012 7:16pm

Daniel Agger has admitted he would like to stay at Liverpool, but admits the situation is out of his hands.

Manchester City and Barcelona are chasing Agger with Premier League champions City believed to have seen two bids already rejected for the classy central defender.

City are thought to be readying a third bid for Agger with Roberto Mancini keen to bring in the defender before the close of the transfer window.

It has been suggested Liverpool could be prepared to sell Agger for the right price as they could use the funds to strengthen the squad elsewhere.

Agger, who is away on international duty with Denmark for Wednesday's friendly with Slovenia, claims he is unaware of interest in his services and hopes he can stay at Anfield.

"No, I haven't heard anything, Agger told Ekstra Bladet when asked about his future.

"That is how the club wants to do it. I would prefer to stay.

"I can't imagine playing for other clubs in England. But, you never know if the club prefers to sell me."

Agger has recently had a new tattoo with the initials of the famous Liverpool song 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on his knuckles and the 27-year-old insists the artwork has nothing to do with his current situation.

"It has nothing to do with my current situation," added Agger. "It is a gesture towards the Kop, towards Liverpool and towards the people around the club."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7988061

Over to you FSG. Now we'll see if they've learnt anything about football or if it's all a game of numbers.