December 11, 2019, 05:30:16 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123587 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »
I note Cardiff City paid £2million

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18895067

to sign Kim Bo Kyung:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU-d0XbxxA&feature=player_detailpage#t=69s

The only reason I mention it is because he made Garth Crooks (I know he's a dope!)
team of the Olympics in which our man Allen featured (I not having a pop at him already).

Just strikes me as crazy that we have a list with 1 player on it for each position and never
seem to turn up a bargain...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 13, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »
I note Cardiff City paid £2million

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18895067

to sign Kim Bo Kyung:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU-d0XbxxA&feature=player_detailpage#t=69s

The only reason I mention it is because he made Garth Crooks (I know he's a dope!)
team of the Olympics in which our man Allen featured (I not having a pop at him already).

Just strikes me as crazy that we have a list with 1 player on it for each position and never
seem to turn up a bargain...

Ed, it definately feels that way. When was the last time we picked up a Hyypia, Reina or Arbeloa type real bargain.

I actually thought  that this would be the one good thing to come out of having someone like Rodgers in charge, in that he would have had to look long and hard and not neccessarily in all the obvious places, and whilst looking at players in Swansea's price bracket may just have seen a few in ours. Some of the lower PL clubs have over the years picked up some rather tasty players for 'more than sensible' prices, who have gone on to be high value transfers to much bigger clubs.

Of course we're not at the end of Rodgers' first window but being linked with Walcott and Dempsey etc does not strike me as scouting outside of the box. I'm not expecting Newcastle type quantities, but one per Summer window would be a refreshing change.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 14, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »
Reds hopeful on Skrtel deal

By Pete O'Rourke  August 13, 2012

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are close to agreeing a new deal with defender Martin Skrtel.

Skrtel's future at Anfield has been the subject of speculation this summer with the Slovakian claiming he was aware of interest from other club's in his services.

The 27-year-old, who joined Liverpool in January 2008, enjoyed his best season at Anfield last term, winning the club's Player of the Year award.

Skrtel has two years to run on his current contract, but Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is keen to secure his long-term future.

Rodgers sees Skrtel as a key member of his future plans on Merseyside and is ready to reward with a new contract.

Liverpool tied down Luis Suarez down to a long-term contract earlier this month and they hope Skrtel will soon follow suit.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7988271

Surely if we're keeping Skrtel we have to keep the guy who compliments him perfectly and makes Skrtel look a better player when playing alongside him.

That's the football argument st least.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:06 AM »
And if we're letting Agger go because of age and injuries and the fact that his next contract will cost more than the one he's on, then why isn't that criteria used for the 32 year old midfielder who has missed a lot of the last 2-3 seasons with injuries and is on more than Agger's new contract would be worth?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 14, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »
Take it as Red? Rodgers reckons Cristian Tello swoop is almost done

By David Anderson  13 Aug 2012

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers believes he is close to landing Barcelona's prized winger Cristian Tello on loan.

Rodgers has been after Tello since taking over at Anfield in June and feels the pacy, tricky wideman would fit perfectly into his preferred playing style.

Barcelona are believed to be reluctant to sell Tello when the Spaniard's career is just taking off, and would prefer a season-long loan deal.

The 21-year-old Catalan is also understood to be reluctant to leave the Nou Camp permanently, having fulfilled a dream when he rejoined Barca from Espanyol two years ago.

He would be open to a loan deal though, as he knows he needs the regular football that he would get at Liverpool if he wants to progress his career.

Tello's signing would be a coup for Rodgers as the attacker is being eyed up by a host of clubs, including Arsenal, Valencia, Malaga and Benfica.

He has made a big impact at Barca since making his La Liga debut in January, scoring twice in his first Champions League appearance against Bayer Leverkusen in March.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-cristian-tellos-loan-1259399

I'd much prefer us to get Tello and let Everton take the risk with Adam Johnson, even if it's only on loan. If he becomes available next Summer and has proved he's straightened himself out and contributes for the whole 90 minutes, we can always try and take him from under Everton's noses.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 14, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
I'd much prefer us to get Tello and let Everton take the risk with Adam Johnson, even if it's only on loan. If he becomes available next Summer and has proved he's straightened himself out and contributes for the whole 90 minutes, we can always try and take him from under Everton's noses.

yes, far better to take Tello, than Johnson.  To be honest, I just don;t rate Johnson, on any level, and I would never want him around my club.

We are far better bringing in lads from the likes of Barca and Real Madrid - because you can be sure such lads will be technically excellent (unlike the sh.ite that one finds in England, that masquerades as a *professional footballer*)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 14, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »
We are far better bringing in lads from the likes of Barca and Real Madrid - because you can be sure such lads will be technically excellent (unlike the sh.ite that one finds in England, that masquerades as a *professional footballer*)

Apart from politician, I can't think of another area of employment where you can be so incredibly average or below and still get paid so much without the slightest danger of falling off the gravy train until your boots are at least filled to ankle level.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Apart from politician, I can't think of another area of employment where you can be so incredibly average or below and still get paid so much without the slightest danger of falling off the gravy train until your boots are at least filled to ankle level.

yes, I often think back to the technical levels of my own era........we played on fields (muddy and bone-dry), streets, in car parks, at grammar school (lunchtimes, after break times), etc etc.     

my friend, who was the striker alongside me, at the time, got a trial for Liverpool (that is as far as he got). 

but if you look back to clips from old Match of the Days and The Big Match, from that era, you can see how technically excellent players were.  Dribbling out of defence was the norm.....playing on mud bath pitches, and pitches full of holes, was the norm.  People were technically very good.

the rubb.ish that masquerade now as professionals are an embarrassment.  And it is evident when the national team play abroad......if we should take the lead against brazil or argentina, it is suddenly a case of defending for our lives, and kicking for touch. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 14, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
who would you get instead, with that same top level technical ability, and at only 8 million quid, Juan.

we sold Mereless and replaced him with the likes of Adam.  And look what happened.

Off the top of my head Dude I would sign any of the players we are being linked with at the moment before Meireles. Dempsey for instance, if the fees were similar I would chose him over Meireles. I dont doubt that Raul is a tactically solid player but there is something missing for me that would prevent me urging the club to go back for him again. And then theres the sour note with which he left, the whole thing of not getting his wages doubled. We could do worse with 8 million but I just think theres also potential to do younger and better.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 14, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »
yes, far better to take Tello, than Johnson.  To be honest, I just don;t rate Johnson, on any level, and I would never want him around my club.

Tello and Sahin seem like genuinely possible loan deals.

Its about time we used the loan market to good effect. Lets not kid ourselves to think we can compete with any of the top clubs in the Premier League financially so why we havent used loan deals before now is baffling.

Tello would definitely be worth it. Sahin I havent seen a whole lot of but his time at Dortmund was apparently very positive.

The closer the season gets, with the likes of Allen signing the more it looks as if players like Spearing will be eased out. Not a moment too soon!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 14, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
The closer the season gets, with the likes of Allen signing the more it looks as if players like Spearing will be eased out. Not a moment too soon!

yes, loan deals would be good for the club.  They would also help us not make expensive mistakes (like aquilini and carroll).

yes, we have lots of deadwood, like spearing.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 15, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
Newcastle hope to seal signing of £6.7m Ajax midfielder Vurnon Anita

Martin Hardy   Tuesday 14 August 2012

Newcastle remain optimistic they will sign the Ajax midfielder Vurnon Anita, but the player has still to finalise his £6.7m move to St James' Park.

A fee has been agreed for the 23-year-old and further negotiations over personal terms are expected to take place this week.

"The clubs have a deal, I think," Anita said. "Now I have to reach an agreement with Newcastle. I have an offer, but I can't say more about this.

"The clubs have agreed a fee, but I have not. I'm still an Ajax player. I think it will be finished soon, but you never know how it will go.

"I have played for Ajax for 13 years, it has been a great time and I am grateful to Ajax.

"Now it's up to me. But first I want to talk with the manager of Newcastle United before taking a decision. The whole picture has to be right for me."

For their part, Newcastle are confident that they can finalise a deal for a player they have tracked for a significant period of time.

Manager Alan Pardew remains keen to strengthen his squad before the season begins, although, as yet, he has not lost any of the players who last season took Newcastle to a fifth-place finish in the Premier League.

He hopes to complete the signing of Anita, who can also play at left-back, and achieve a positive outcome in the long-running pursuit of France international Mathieu Debuchy. The 26-year-old remains eager to leave Lille despite attempted blocks on any deal by his current employers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/newcastle-hope-to-seal-signing-of-67m-ajax-midfielder-vurnon-anita-8038651.html

Here's another 'bargain' we should have been looking at. He'd give top quality competition and cover to both Lucas and Jose Enrique, two positions covered in one. At 23, he's exactly the right age and for circa £7.5M, he's only a year older than Allen but half the price to strengthen two positions. He wouldn't hold back Jack Robinson's progress if Rodgers wanted to play him, but it would give us the secure cover for Enrique, knowing that we wouldn't have to throw Robinson in if Enrique is injured long term. He's got the potential to displace Enrique and has 5 goals in 103 games, which is always handy when a defensive player also knows where the opposition's net is.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »
there ye go again with that common sense malarky.

why in under goodness would we want to employ a scout like Carr, who will trip all around Europe, wasting money on easyjet flights, seeing loads of poxy football matches, when we can buy the ready made article in england. 

Unless he costs at least 15 million (ideally 20 to 35 million) I am not interested.  If he's cheap, he must be rubbish.   If people see us buying cheap, they will think we are a cheap club, on the way down.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 15, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
there ye go again with that common sense malarky.

Sorry Dude, I will try harder not to let it keep happening.  :D

It was my one big hope with Rodgers' appointment that we would start looking at these kinds of players as he would have seen them whilst scouting for Swansea. Going to watch a player for which they were looking at a £1M-£3M fee but seeing these sorts of players that were beyond Swansea's budget but thinking to himself 'if only....' and making a mental note anyway.

For some reason there are quite few clubs lower down the league, with much smaller budgets, who seem able to pick up players that seem to pass beneath the radars of the more wealthy clubs, who prove themselves capable of playing for the top teams in the league as their transfers to them show. 

Maybe we ought to stop thinking about paying double digit fees all the time and wasting our time scouting those sort of players and starting looking to find players which will have a single digit transfer fee who we can turn into the star.

We need to find clubs in the Belgian, Dutch, German and French leagues to partner with where we can send our youngsters on loan.

Also with the introduction of the u21 Premier League we should have a facility to purchase younger players 16-19 and give them the chance to develop in what should hopefully be a more competitive level of football.

We should also be scouting the youth teams in Holland, Spain, Belguim, France and Germany and also the likes of the Segunda División in Spain, where the big teams' B teams play, and other countries that allows teams in the top division to have a B team in the second or third tier.

We may do all these things but when was the last time we paid a bargain price and found a real star? I guess you'd regard Agger or Arbeloa as the last time (though obviously Arbeloa didn't go for a huge sum due to us allowing him to return to Spain with a year left on his contract)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 15, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
If we don't get cover for Lucas this window then that needs to be priority for the January one. I fail to see why we haven't done it as Lucas can't play in all competitions and we shouldn't be satisfied with massively weakening ourselves just because we've rested Lucas.